Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] UWx Stoneblade

Re: [DTB] UWx Stoneblade

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    In the old days (of running things like Lingering Souls), it was not uncommon to drop Batterskull to get more "realistically equipable" pieces in there. But Batterskull might be too needed now for stabilizing in some of the worst match-ups. Although, considering how many decks are in Red now, 4 mana Blues spells might indeed be a liability.
    Its also important to note that Jace loses a lot of value when there are so many Narset about. I am aware of the negative effects it has on Sword (no extra draw) but Sword is also an answer to Narset, whereas Jace is a veritable brick.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Told you the other Ally sword was better. Narset is just too annoying to leave on the board for any deck.

I don't recall agreeing with you. Further, I see no one playing it, and I am at the black gathering point of GP: Denver right now. This deck has several answers to Narset, I can't imagine that makes SoSaS good, only slightly useful, and CJ is better in that slot. Besides, until you include SoFI, I can't see including SoSaS over it.

So don't play it then.
    Reread my comment, not sure why you're so hostile. I don't want to be a Bee.I am fine not being associated with you.

What answers are those? I don't see them outside of spending a turn attacking into a resolved Narset. Countering, sure. Seems like a waste of a counter.
    Council's Judgement? I don't care for the card. You'll never see it in any of my lists. Efficiency wins games.

Abrupt Decay. Lightning Bolt. Two reasons. SoFaI just gives a Shock unless you attack into the Narset. I prefer to think and reason through why to play a card, rather than copying what others do.

So did you win?

Quote Originally Posted by NidStyles View Post
    So did you win?
    I played a Dreadhorde Arcanist version of this deck in one 3 round side event. No, I did not win, but never was there a time that SoSaS would have been even marginally good.

Hostility is often elicited by statements that smack of "I told you so," especially when there isn't even anecdotal evidence to support said statement, let alone any actual evidence.

20 lands was too much all day. Flooded out hard and often.

-ABC

Anyone having any luck or have any insight on the current variation of delverblade with Nivmagus Elemental?

Played in a local tournament with esper stoneblade, finishing second after losing to miracles in the finals. Didn’t get to fulfill my goals of eot lingering souls or thoughtseizing in the draw step, but teferi overperformed regardless by bouncing stuff like delver and gurmag angler (providing carddraw and tempo) and forcing my opponents to spend their turn answering him or be unable to interact.

Played against
    R1 ANT-win 2-0
    R2 Hogaak mill – draw 1-1-1
    R3 Death and taxes – win 2-1 (went into time, but my opponent was a friend who scooped after turn 5 because I was most likely to win due to the boardstate)
    R4 UB shadow – win 2-0
    R5 ID (against 4C control)

Qf Blood sun eldrazi (with punishing fire) – win 2-0
    SF UR delver – win 2-0
    F UW miracles – loss 0-2 (close game 1 where he drew a jace the one turn where he had a window to play it, finding counters for both my teferi and jace the following turns. Game 2 I lost to mentor getting out of hand after erroneously siding out verdict)

4 flooded strand
    3 polluted delta
    3 prismatic vista
    2 tundra
    2 underground sea
    1 scrubland
    3 island
    2 plains
    1 swamp

3 stoneforge mystic
    3 snapcaster mage
    2 true-name nemesis

4 brainstorm
    4 swords to plowshares
    3 force of will
    2 spell pierce
    1 dovin’s veto
    3 thoughtseize
    3 ponder
    1 council’s judgment
    1 lingering souls
    1 supreme verdict

1 batterskull
    1 umezawa’s jitte

2 narset, parter of veils
    2 teferi, time raveler
    2 jace, the mind sculptor

SB:
    2 vendilion clique
    2 surgical extraction
    2 flusterstorm
    2 zealous persecution
    1 palace jailer
    1 disenchant
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 gideon, ally of zendikar
    1 council’s judgment
    1 force of will
    1 sword of fire and ice

I think the manabase could potentially support a back to basics in the sideboard for greedy matchups like 4C control. Also never drew palace jailer so can’t assess how good the card would have been. I missed additional gravehate against the Hogaak matchup, but considering this is a fringe deck I don’t think it warrants extra hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    I played a Dreadhorde Arcanist version of this deck in one 3 round side event. No, I did not win, but never was there a time that SoSaS would have been even marginally good.

Hostility is often elicited by statements that smack of "I told you so," especially when there isn't even anecdotal evidence to support said statement, let alone any actual evidence.

20 lands was too much all day. Flooded out hard and often.

-ABC

lol! Okay. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. Too many over sensitive children here.

Quote Originally Posted by NidStyles View Post
    lol! Okay. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. Too many over sensitive children here.
    Those are certainly words you can put in front of each other. Good job.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Those are certainly words you can put in front of each other. Good job.

Why are you like this homie?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Why are you like this homie?
    That's quite the open-ended statement. Probably something to do with my childhood? Idk, not a shrink.

I was just discussing magic and then this.

A few thoughts on your list:
    I was high on palace jailer a month or two ago, but given the advent of narset, it’s probably not good enough anymore. I advocated for him because he was a non-pyroblastable source of card advantage that was good in control mirrors. Narset is almost a perfect answer to jailer in a lot of ways. She’s cheaper, gives card advantage and quality, and turns off jailer. Additionally, she’s showing up in tons of UWx control decks which are the matchups jailer was once really good in. Jailer’s in a rough spot.
    IMO this should just be narset #2 in the maindeck. In the sideboard you could maybe turn that jailer into a hyrdroblast to combat the W6 meta?

How to fight W6 meta:
    I’m not sure yet, IMO the lowest hanging fruit is probably reconstructing our GY hate packages. I think a lot of stoneblade decks are still running the same GY hate suite they did before W6. But now that W6 is really pushing even fair decks to lean super heavily on the yard we really need to revisit both the type and quantity of GY hate cards we play.
    I think that going forward we probably want at least 5 GY hate slots, I’ve seriously contemplated going up to 6. That aside, the type of hate probably needs to change too. Given how W6 decks seem to work, some serious sledgehammer graveyard hate like RIP maybe warranted over cards like containment priest.

Besides the GY, cards like spell snare or hydroblast also seem pretty good right now. Hydroblast in particular seems to be in a better place than it’s ever been, given that it takes down both W6 and dreadhorde arcanist.

Personally, I’m going greedy with 4C stoneblade in response to the W6 meta. The addition of prismatic visa/arcum’s astrolabe has made mana fixing super reasonable. Even without W6 I haven’t hated the mana base. I’ve tried to design my manabase such that it can function off only basics, but it really does well once even a single astrolabe gets in play. If two astrolabes stick the world is your oyster colorwise.
    Here’s my super rough list for reference. Played it a weekly or two so far with promising results, needs lot more tuning though.

Lands-20
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Prismatic Vista
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Scalding Tarn
    3 Snow Covered Island
    2 Snow Covered Plains
    1 Snow Covered Swamp
    1 Snow Covered Mountain
    1 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

Creatures: 10
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True Name Nemesis
    3 Snapcaster Mage

Spells: 22
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Ponder
    1 Preordain
    1 Lightning Bolt
    1 Zealous Persecution

Planeswalkers: 3
    1 Narset, Parter of Veils
    2 Jace the Mind Sculptor

Artifacts: 6
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    4 Arcum’s Astrolabe

Sideboard:
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Disenchant
    2 Price of Progress
    1 Zealous Persecution

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Has anybody contemplated Bant Stoneblade with snow basics and the new Coatl?

There are a few things that green bring to this archetype that I think are really strong like Sylvan Library for instance. Library works nicely with life gain and Counterbalance. A few Neoform sounds pretty good when swapping out a Coatl for a 4/2 TNN or simply as a way to transform a Snapcaster or SFM into a threat.
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Is the W6 meta even that big of a problem for stoneblade? I have just been killing people with tnn + equipment which does not really care about the card. You can always play purge/rip in your board if you want a little more security. I just think that the cards are just a bit too narrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Is the W6 meta even that big of a problem for stoneblade? I have just been killing people with tnn + equipment which does not really care about the card. You can always play purge/rip in your board if you want a little more security. I just think that the cards are just a bit too narrow.
    I think i agree. My primary concern about the W6 decks is actually the plague engineers that often accompany it. Engineer is probably the cleanest answer i've seen to TNN in a long time, and now its appearing maindeck.

Mudslinger
    Oct 2017
    Long Island, New York

Re: [Deck] UWx Stoneblade

I decided to play UW blade at eternal weekend this past week. I didnt do great for various reasons, so I'm not going to put my observations in the official tourney reports section. That said imma put it here. I'm first going to post some sb thoughts and a deck list. I'll then be creating a match specific analysis for the last chance trials and main event. I didnt really do that with sunday although I will try to remember my matches and offer observations there as well. I did some tweaking to the list for Sunday too. Not sure I remember all of them so honestly Sunday is less important. Here we go.

First the list, followed by observations:

Deck: Legacy Stoneblade 11-2-19.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:11
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant

Artifacts:2
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Sorceries:6
    4 Ponder
    2 Council's Judgment

Instants:16
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Dovin's Veto
    1 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will

Others:5
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Lands:20
    4 Flooded Strand
    6 Island
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains
    4 Prismatic Vista
    1 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra

Sideboard:15
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Brazen Borrower // Petty Theft
    1 Palace Jailer
    2 Supreme Verdict
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Celestial Purge
    1 Disenchant
    1 Force of Negation
    2 Mystical Dispute
    2 Rest in Peace

So top line observations:

Matches:

Over the course of the weekend

Turbo depths x1
    Dredge x2
    RUG Delver x3
    4c Control x1
    Grixis control x1
    Omnishow x1
    Mavericks x1
    GW Depths x1

We beat a lot of the matches we were supposed to and lost some of the matches we shouldn't have. That said, it was a long drive in pouring rain which extended a 6 hour drive to a 10 hour drive. I definitely punted twice quite visibly. Happens. More details to follow.

Rug delver we had an overall record of 2.1 vs. We beat it in the main event and lost the one time we played it in a last chance side event.

Side board observations.

Best cards vs delver were definitely in the sb, unfortunately. Was in serious debate about running some number of supreme verdicts main. Definitely should have and will in the future if the meta doesn't change.

Brazen borrower was super boss. Should be a 2x, without doubt. Both just flashing in a flying blocker and or bouncing a planeswalker about to ult were relevant modes.

Force of no is also super good.l, but only in matches where they matter. Tagging a pfire, loam, looting, etc is so good it cannot be overstated. Also probably good vs storm, although I didn't actually play vs storm all weekend for whatever reason.

Rest in peace was super underwhelming. The matches I saw it vs dredge was a mixed bag bc one game was game ending and the other it ate a natures claim and didn't do much. It was a non factor vs rug delver. They just sided out mandrils and wound up running into hexdrinkers and flipped delvers or tnn instead. I feel like surgical is largely more impactful where we need it now having jammed rip in this tourney.

Mystical dispute was always an ok draw. Rarely was it game breaking, but it was always ok when I saw it. I sided it in sparingly. Might be better as 2x fluster and 1x dispute rather than the alternative. I sided in dispute vs any tnn or control deck, and also vs show and tell. Having a formay where you win on small margins it was largely pretty good.

Fluster is a staple and continued to do what it always has and came in for the same old reasons.

Idk what I think about Hydroblast. I'd almost rather it were another council's judgement or celestial purge. They both would have served me better in matches where I ran hydro. Granted I didnt play any burn and rug sides in 3 red blast effects, but really it was usually wtv.

Path to exile is a pet card. It offers another out vs big creature decks. I'd never leave home for a big open meta tourney without it. At home I'd probably just run a second disenchant.

Disenchant is another just old favorite. Its largely used in the same matches it always has been.

Containment priest and palace jailer are always good in the matches you'd want them. 10/10 Wouldn't remove either.

Changes to the board? Probably -1 hydro, -1 mystical dispute. Mandatory, +1 brazen borrower, +1 flusterstorm if I play this deck in the near future instead of shifting to a red splash. More on the fence about shifting back from rip to surgical. I also think that has become correct. I really like magmatic sinkhole. Card looked impressive in all my buddys' decks over the weekend (one on grixis, one on jeskai miracles).

More info to follow. I'm currently in the waiting room of a doctors office. Lord knows I may have time.
    We speak for no one, we hear no one, we see no one

Hello everyone! I'm back into Legacy after about 4 months I didn't play. So I didn't experience the W&6 meta. I would like to play Delver Blade (i.e. I would like to play a Delver deck and the only blue duals I own are the tundras) and I saw some lists from the W&6 time. Some of them had [[Nivmagus Elemental]], that's a strange tech I never considered. Is that still a viable plan? 2-3 Nivmagus + 3-4 Flusterstorm? Or was it only to have a threat with toughness greater than 1 and escape Wrenn?

Other than that, I saw some lists with [[Stifle]]. I absolutely love Stifle! So I wrote a sample list, do you like this?

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta (they should become Prismatic Vista)
    4 Wasteland
    4 Island
    2 Plains
    2 Taiga

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Palace Jailer

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    4 Stifle
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

To make place for 4 Stifle I cut Council's Judgment, Jace, Spell Snare and the third Pierce from my last list. Is this good? Should I remove instead Palace Jailer and re-insert one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by alvoi View Post
    2 Taiga
    (but i know what you mean)

UW delver blade is a weird deck man.

With regards to stifle, i mean its probably worth trying. I don't think i'd ever call stifle outright bad in a delver deck.

I don't really like any 4 drop in this shell. That's part of the problem of wanting to run 4 daze 4 wasteland. In this slot i'd instead start placing the busted 3 mana walkers like narset or teferi.

Another card you could look at iis the very excellent brazen borrower which pulls double duty as a tempo swing and beater.

I think nivmagus+flusterstorm was more for a surprising really fast clock. Not being soft to W6 probably helped, but i don't think that was the driving reason for its selection.

Brutally honest though, i think that delver blade as a whole is in a really bad position ATM. The issue overarching issue right now is that mana is really difficult to punish at the moment
    This is what 4C decks look like now. You barely have any valid wasteland targets. And ya stifle is a live card, but once one fetch gets through and they resolve an astrolabe you can't color screw them anymore.

The URx delver decks get by because they have a much faster clock that punishes these 4C piles for durdling. Delverblade is probably getting the worst of both worlds, its clearly not as fast as URx delver and it can't grind as well as traditional stoneblade. Which basically means that these basic heavy grindy decks are just going to drag you into the late game and beat you.

The potential banning of arcum's astrolabe could make the archetype more viable, but for now i'd probably play something closer to traditional UW blade.

Thread Information