Page 3 of 428 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

Re: [PRIMER] GW/x Maverick

I think stoneforge can be taken out from here. It's probably better to just draw the equipment than to fetch it out. That gives us 3 free spots for more beaters.

Exalted seems to be the main win condition.

I disagree, I think that stoneforge warrants a spot, her utility is invaluable.

I also added mirran back, he can just outright win some games (team america being one of them) if he lands.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Looks like Primer goes to DTB - that's good news.

For questions about Stoneforge Mystic - its MUST have in all G/W/x in number of 2-3. This deck doesn't generate CA such as Jace for example, we can only use Dark Confidant (in some builds) or Sylvan Library. Our late game is resolved one of the Swords/Jitte + Eternal Witness which is very useful when graveyards are full of nuts.

Actually think about Thrun, the Last Troll in slot of one Goyf/Qasali Pridemage since U/w Landstills become much more popular. This MU isn't so good because U/w Landstill has much more stable Manabase than BUG landstill so cutting their mana base with tempo (mostly KotR / Wastelands from hand/ sb Life from the Loam) isn't good option. Still testing Troll but in other MU I was disappointed with him.

My actually build:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Tarmogoyf
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Terravore
    1 Rhox War Monk
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Rafiq of the Many
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Dryad Arbor

1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

3 Mental Misstep
    4 Swords to Plowshares

2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

2 Forest
    1 Plains
    2 Horizon Canopy
    4 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland

//SB(15):
    1 Null Rod
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Choke
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Wing Shards
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Life from the Loam

Cards to testing:
    Battleskull - still not great but can be switched in War Rhox Monk Slot - more test needed
    Thrun, the Last Troll - very good in Landstill U/w MU, also quite nice in heavy removal MU, but to slow for faster decks
    Serenity - if u suspect Enchantress / Stax its card must have on big tournaments can be in Null Rod slot.
    Life from the Loam - mostly debatable slot here - works on some random MU with and destroy MU, also vs tricolor controls, works also vs mostly tempo decks without basics.

Last word edit: 3rd Qasali Pridemage is very useful vs actually FOTM tech which is Stoneforge/Battleskull/Equips tempos.
    Last edited by Fatal; 06-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I tend to run 1 RWM in the sideboard as the "green guy to fetch with GSZ that gains life" slot. However, you bring a good point about Batterskull essentially going the same thing, but better. I'll test this puppy out; although I do admit, it's tougher to evaluate because RWM can oftentimes come out Turn 2 - not nearly the case with Batterskull.

That being said, I would run either as a one-of, and Batterskull may end up being a better fit for that slot, since it's also really good against Control, whereas RWM is only good against aggro.

What about Loaming Shaman as a means to recycling Wastelands and Horizon Canopies back in for KotR, in place of 1 of the Life from the Loam? It also serves to help out against g/y based decks, and tutorable via GSZ.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

May 2011
    NRW, Germany

List looks fine. Did you cut 3 Mom's for the Mental Misstep? In fact they do nearly the same thing which is preventing StoP(removal in general) and Lackeys(otp). In these cases MMS works way better as it doesnt have summoner sickness.
    But especially when your playing Rafiq, pumping up a Knight and giving him Exalted + Doublestrike and then giving it protection via Mother is a gamewining play. I would go with 2-3 Mom's and 3 MMS and cut the singleton Scrybranger as you dont draw him that often and most of the time you cannot afford to do GSZ into Ranger, plus he gets worse with no Mom's.
    You forgot the Wastelands btw :)

Dec 2010
    SO Cal

has anyone tried implementing Beast Within in the deck? seems good dealing with alot of planeswalkers in the current jace heavy meta

probably 3 swords to plow 3 beast within or 4 STP /2 BW

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

I have the mono-white Death and Taxes version;

Main Board:

4 karakas
    4 wasteland
    4 rishadan port
    10 plains

3 flickerwisp
    2 jotun grunt
    3 leonin arbiter
    3 mangara of corondor
    4 mother of runes
    3 phyrexian revoker
    4 serra avenger
    3 stoneforge mystic

4 aether vial
    2 oblivion ring
    4 swords to plowshares
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 sword of feast and famine
    1 sword of light and shadow
    1 umezawa's jitte

Side Board:

3 ethersworn cannonist
    1 flickerwisp
    2 jotun grunt
    1 oblivion ring
    1 phyrexian revoker
    3 runed halo
    1 sword of body and mind
    3 wing shards
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

@Fry

Death & Taxes is much more different archetype than Maverick actually.

@SuperProxy
    Beast Within is a good card but only in specify MU, that's why this card is a better oblivion ring on sideboard but not always (vs S&T decks for example) as catch' all answer. U almost never want that card vs aggro MU with fast clock because of card disadvantage - putting an other Nacatl into play isn't good option. I think more tests are needed but probably its good card in sb.

@Bzka
    Yes I cut 2 Mother of Runes and one Bird of Paradise (from my earlier list) and implement 3 Mental Misstep - and they're great, it can be use as anti-StP and also as Tempo card - countering first drops, discard etc, Mother was Nuts vs aggro MU but it was so-so vs all landstills/Deeds and awful vs combo.

Mental Misstep makes Combo MU winable with Gaddock Teeg MD.

Mostly Terravore is a killer with Rafiq, Mother helps your right but i cut it bacause of MM which are annoying vs StP, first turn mana drop - so just playing my own.

I would never cut Scryb Ranger in so heavy U meta, its great Jace killer, Merfolks Nightmare, and pseudo vigilance with any other beater, anti-wasteland surprise, mana ramp and actually only one real flyer in deck (Elspeth)

@rukcus

About Battleskull vs RWM its all dependent about MU where we want life gainer.

Mostly lifegainer is needed in aggro MU, and Burn where your life matter (also ANT).

Battleskull is slow - even with first turn drop (Hierarch/GSZ for arbor) u can't cast Battleskull in first two turns, so u attack in 4th turn, vs burn it can be just too late. Next MU is Zoo where your life matter - Battleskull can be killed by Qasali Pridemage which is natural enemy for it, next think Battleskull need SFM in play for whole turn this mean that smart burn/zoo player just kill it before u can put Battleskull into play.

All this brings that Battleskull is much worst than RWM, but there is other side of view - heavy removal Control MU where your life doesn't matter but your CA matter - here it shine in long play where you have a lot of mana and can use its bounce ability. The choose is yours actually I use RWM and other game plan vs heavy removal MU.

Loaming Shaman was cut from sideboard since I test a lot of games vs Dredge - mostly I like crypt on instant speed hate - Shaman is just to slow - fetching creature 3cc always KotR will be better, recycling wastelands/canopies from KotR is marginal, mostly after 4 wastelands/2 canopies its gg from one side - so it doesn't help.

Super Secret Tech "Ooh...shiny!"
    Jul 2010
    Edinboro, PA

@ Fatal
    then why even bother mentioning D&T in the primer?
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Can't understand wanting the new new border if you have a choice, for any reason. You have to be a casual or have rickets.
    Cockatrice: EMFry

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Cool to see GW go to DTB. That GW Survival went a long way.

Mother of Runes: She belongs in the deck, four times. You should start cutting other cards - even StoPs or Noble Hierarchs - if you are worried about your curve getting too low before touching her. You can side her out against E.Ex. / Deed / Wrath decks but against everything else she is the best. Against Zoo style aggro she is a blocker for one Mana, against both Tribal decks she is the complete and total nuts, in the Aggro Control mirror she draws either draws early Removal or dominates the board and against Combo she protects your hatebear(s) from their few solutions.

Gaea's Cradle: Play one of them because of SFM. The upside of equipping and smashing via Cradle Mana with Jitte or even a Sword on the same turn you played the SFM is far bigger than the downside of having a bad land sometimes. Usually it is a good draw anyway.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

@Fry

All D&T deck is from definition Mono W, Maverick is GW/x, putting package Mangara + Karakas doesn't make this deck D&T it has other strategy plan plan and clock, even other colors, its like naming decks Mono U control when it has 4 x FoW + 4 brainstorm which is mistake I think. It was mention in primer because I met this version which was similar to Living & Taxes, but this deck had long way of evolution to actual build, better make steps forward, than back right ?

@Tao

Your right about Mother of Runes in middle aggro MU its nuts, but actually MU makes her much worst. Mental Missteps are everywhere, also Landstills with Merfolks we still have very good MU vs Goblins I rather have Mental Missteps than Mom. After a lot of testing any good player can kill Mom on block in resp to giving protection. Versus Metalworker, Grindstone Painter, Affnity its just 1/1 guy for 1 mana which is rather poor. I cut her and putting tempo cards which have similar role. I think this card is MU dependent and also skill intensive in opponent, if he can't handle it u can win also without it. I just think that making bigger clock > protection.

Gaea's Cradle was discussed a lot here, I can judge this card only from mine side of view and I think its just win more card when u have such a big table to take advantage from cradle you mostly already win,but losing in control MU having land which can do nothing is very bad - so win more in my eyes (I was playing it for about 2 months) - also this card works better mostly only with Vial Build, when u have little mana on table.

Maverick with MMS looks like aggro bant=)
    Just add a few dazes and a pack of brainstorms.
    I cant even understand how come that these decks are different archetypes.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Main difference - It doesn't have Islands so no Islandwalk for Merfolks - easy MU for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    Cool to see GW go to DTB. That GW Survival went a long way.

Mother of Runes: She belongs in the deck, four times. You should start cutting other cards - even StoPs or Noble Hierarchs - if you are worried about your curve getting too low before touching her. You can side her out against E.Ex. / Deed / Wrath decks but against everything else she is the best. Against Zoo style aggro she is a blocker for one Mana, against both Tribal decks she is the complete and total nuts, in the Aggro Control mirror she draws either draws early Removal or dominates the board and against Combo she protects your hatebear(s) from their few solutions.

Gaea's Cradle: Play one of them because of SFM. The upside of equipping and smashing via Cradle Mana with Jitte or even a Sword on the same turn you played the SFM is far bigger than the downside of having a bad land sometimes. Usually it is a good draw anyway.
    I agree with both of these points. I tried to cut mother down to 3 from 4, only to realize just how often she makes a difference. She is a great 1 drop that does a lot for this deck. I also like gaea's cradle enough that I put one in. It's not as if i'm searching for with reliquary or anything, but sometimes the mana ramp can lead to some explosive turns. Almost never a dead card, and at worst it's wasteland fodder.

I have also cut all blue from the deck. In my opinion it doesn't do enough for this deck's game plan. We also don't gain any valuable sideboard answers for including the small splash. If you need the lifegain from rhox, it can be a batterskull.

Cradle gets a lot better once you finally put batterskull in the deck, maybe it is even worth a slot then.
    (22nd land, as it's not a land when you most need them)
    Quote Originally Posted by Race War View Post
    <Carnage> fuck idiot learn education

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Batterskull belongs in the deck if you do the SFM build, that is quite clear, at least imo. But even before Batterskull was printed Cradle was awesome in builds with 4 SFM and 4 KotR. With an active KotR in play Cradle often enables you to play a topdecked SFM + Sword/Jitte + Equip + attack in the same turn.

@Fatal: Mental Missteps do not make Mother of Runes worse. You want to play a one-drop on turn one anyway so it doesn't matter which one of them they counter. The skill argument is also flawed. Against bad players she might be even better but that doesn't mean that she is not also good against good players. No matter how much skill they have they can't Sword your Reliquary or Stoneforge or the creature you want to equip if you have a Mother of Runes in play.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Maybe your right guys, my playtest group become too controlish that's why i still fill better with made changes, that's why Cradle and Mother lost a slot in my build.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

I guess this goes here. No I haven't read the thread. I still don't know why I bothered thinking about a GW Aggro deck, but alas here it goes:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Fauna Shaman
    4 Vengevine
    3 Mother of Runes
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Tarmogoyf
    2 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Basking Rootwalla
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Gaddock Teeg

3 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Windswept Heath
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Savannah
    3 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Craddle
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Gaea's Cradle

SB: 1 Jötun Grunt
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Gilded Drake
    SB: 1 Path to Exile
    SB: 1 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 4 Mental Misstep
    SB: 1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    SB: 1 Qasali Pridemage
    SB: 1 Batterskull

Similar to the old G/W Survival decks, it should beat Zoo and stuff by having more Stoneforges and Goyfs than they have.

I might move the Jötun to the main, dropping a Pridemage. He gives you insane inevitability with Fauna Shaman. I haven't tested the list, but I definitely like how it looks. The SB Missteps are for Control (counters Snare and Swords) and Combo (slows them down enough for us to land a hate bear).
    Last edited by lorddotm; 06-03-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

The G/W Survival thread isn't dead yet:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...urvival/page29

The Vengevine version is pretty good in the Meta because without Vengies I would not want to play against any Landstill variant. Your list is quite good I would say. You don't need Maze of Ith, it gets used far too rarely for a land that never produces Mana. I would recommend the Jitte in its slot. It is good vs. all Aggro but also your best Equipment vs. Painterstone.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    The G/W Survival thread isn't dead yet:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...urvival/page29

The Vengevine version is pretty good in the Meta because without Vengies I would not want to play against any Landstill variant. Your list is quite good I would say. You don't need Maze of Ith, it gets used far too rarely for a land that never produces Mana. I would recommend the Jitte in its slot. It is good vs. all Aggro but also your best Equipment vs. Painterstone.
    What are you talking about, a format full of SFM and I want to take OUT the best answer to Swords/Jittes?

This list has actually been insane in the few games I've tested. Rapes creature decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Thread Information