Thread: Avengers End Game Directors bringing Magic cartoon to Netflix next year.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Avengers End Game Directors bringing Magic cartoon to Netflix next year.

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/06/...d6f45a36000139

Apparently the Russo brothers are long time Magic fans, and are making a cartoon for Netflix.

I'm hoping this doesn't suck, but won't be super surprised if it does.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: Avengers End Game Directors bringing Magic cartoon to Netflix next year.

At least they hired the Russos, which means they mean business.
    With a good writing team and good voice actors, this could become really good.
    And if they have budget to hire the Russos they should have budget for that as well.

But yeah, this is rather easy to mess up, and Netflix originals haven't convined me much so far.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    At least they hired the Russos, which means they mean business.
    With a good writing team and good voice actors, this could become really good.
    And if they have budget to hire the Russos they should have budget for that as well.

But yeah, this is rather easy to mess up, and Netflix originals haven't convined me much so far.
    MacMafia was fine.
    However, it's all about having a good scenario. Not a big fan of avengers end game's scenario thought :)

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Should have been live action. I’m not surprised they went with cartoon. Less upfront cost. That increases the chances it will actually get made. There is a thread from years ago about the production hell happening to the live action film.

Hint; it does not actually exist
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think this is a great stepping stone into other media (live action, etc) because some of the best versions of fantasy/comic books have been cartoons. I'm thinking Clone Wars and Batman: The Animated Series, both of which were incredibly well done. I think if it does well it could open the door to doing a decent live-action version. I'm calling Angelina Jolie for Liliana, Josh Brolin for Karn, Dave Bautista for Garruk, John Rhys-Davies for Ajani, Scarlett Johanson for Chandra, Benedict Cumberpatch for the voice of Nicol Bolas, and Charlie Cox for Jace. Oddly specific, I know, but there's potential here...
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I haven't seen any info on the particular setting.
    Would it take place after the war of the spark or before?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I think this is a great stepping stone into other media (live action, etc) because some of the best versions of fantasy/comic books have been cartoons. I'm thinking Clone Wars and Batman: The Animated Series, both of which were incredibly well done. I think if it does well it could open the door to doing a decent live-action version. I'm calling Angelina Jolie for Liliana, Josh Brolin for Karn, Dave Bautista for Garruk, John Rhys-Davies for Ajani, Scarlett Johanson for Chandra, Benedict Cumberpatch for the voice of Nicol Bolas, and Charlie Cox for Jace. Oddly specific, I know, but there's potential here...
    All they need now is to end that pesky card game so that they can exploit and concentrate the new opportunities offered by their IP.

Perhaps a line of underware, 'XXXL karn boxers' and 'lacy liliana', maybe also into medicines with 'jace's miracle cure' syrup, not to forget a probable best seller in their line of fantastic fantasy novels, 'fifty shades of bolas'.

(for avoidance of doubt, old fart here that still remembers when a card game was a bloody card game)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Well, at least there's a chance it isn't going to suck. The less creative control WotC has over it, the better. Imagine if it had been done in-house *shudder*.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Honestly, I have zero interest in this. MtG was supposed to be a game not a brand. I enjoyed when there was faint text referencing events (ie. Antiquities), but stopped playing around Weatherlight because I hated the whole story concept. People blame MaRo for a lot of the stupid shit the game has done, but the real way he ruined the game was by convincing Peter Adkinson that the game needed heroes to cheer in their adventures.
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm expecting it just be animated Infinity War with planeswalkers instead of superheroes. No Brothers War so we should riot
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    Honestly, I have zero interest in this. MtG was supposed to be a game not a brand. I enjoyed when there was faint text referencing events (ie. Antiquities), but stopped playing around Weatherlight because I hated the whole story concept. People blame MaRo for a lot of the stupid shit the game has done, but the real way he ruined the game was by convincing Peter Adkinson that the game needed heroes to cheer in their adventures.
    I can't blame for your opinion. However, the word ruined is a little bit strong, considering the popularity of the game.
    I'm not into planeswalkers fandom, however, i still enjoy the game as what it is: a strategy game.
    Sometimes the lore is bad, sometimes it is good, it doesn't matter as long as i can enjoy the game.

About this anime, well, if it is bad, whatever, I won't look at it. if it's good? bonus points :)

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm expecting it just be animated Infinity War with planeswalkers instead of superheroes. No Brothers War so we should riot
    For once we agree wholeheartedly. Bracing for way too much capery.

EDIT: There's a good chance I'll watch it anyway. And cry.

EDIT, again: I'll withhold total judgment until I see who's doing the art direction(?) (I didn't study film) and concept work. A rad Richard Kane Ferguson/Anson Maddocks/Mark Tedin/Rebecca Guay/Seb McKinnon feel would be enough to hook me regardless of the plot.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

About this anime, well, if it is bad, whatever, I won't look at it. if it's good? bonus points :)
    Wait, was that a slip or did I miss that it is going to be anime, like Japanese loafed shit style?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post

You can still play the game and enjoy it without knowing jack shit about the story line. Take me for example, I dont know the story of the game and fear that if I learned it i would think it's garbage so I just never learned about it. If you only play with the cards you will know very little if anything at all about the story.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    I'll withhold total judgment until I see who's doing the art direction(?) (I didn't study film) and concept work. A rad Richard Kane Ferguson/Anson Maddocks/Mark Tedin/Rebecca Guay/Seb McKinnon feel would be enough to hook me regardless of the plot.
    Funny. I have the exact opposite view. I'll withhold judgment until I know who will pen the script and scenario.
    Solid writing will get this up to at least watchable, and potentially up to really great.
    Bad writing though... Bad writing will screw up the entire project regardless of how great the art looks.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Funny. I have the exact opposite view. I'll withhold judgment until I know who will pen the script and scenario.
    Solid writing will get this up to at least watchable, and potentially up to really great.
    Bad writing though... Bad writing will screw up the entire project regardless of how great the art looks.
    Yeah, I hear that, but I'm also assuming I won't be a fan of the writing anyway because planeswalkers are ripe for cape-ification.

There's a chance I'll be wrong, and I certainly don't want to rain on people's parade if they're into that sort of thing, but it's not for me. And as easy as it is to torpedo something with bad writing, I've also seen good artistic/visual style overcome the limitations of a one-dimensional script at least a few times.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Thread Information