Page 39 of 166 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    I am not going to Eternal Weekend, but I wish anyone going the best of luck with Dark Depths.

I tried a substitution of 3 Sylvan Library over 1 Duress, 1 Not of This World, 1 Pithing Needle. I reasoned that Library can help find these cards if we need them by seeing many cards. I went 4-1 in the league, losing to Delver after winning one of the games due to Library and losing the other two to mana screw after two aggressive Wastelands. I played against a friend on Miracles and I was extremely impressed with Library. I won G2 by casting turn 1 Library. I like Library over Sensei's Divining Top because a) we can resolve Library through CounterTop sometimes, b) we can needle opposing Top while keeping our method of looking at the top 3. We do have a lot of shuffle effects so getting stuck on a library is rare.

Also, I brainstormed the following list tonight. Willing to discuss any cards in here.

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Life from the Loam
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Abrupt Decay
    8 combo lands
    3 Urborg
    4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant, 2 Bayou, 1 Forest, 1 Swamp, 1 Blooming Marsh
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas
    1 Nephalia Drownyard
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe

I took Apple's List from the OP and compared it to the 4-color Aggro Loam / Knight of the Reliquary decks running around. I didn't like having any discard in a Chalice on 1 deck, so I made the only one drops Crop Rotations. Then I overloaded on some value 2-drops and combo cards, with some good maindeck flex slots. No sideboard yet, but I imagine it would start with 4 Sphere of Resistance 2 Krosan Grip. Someone who owns these cards could take it for a spin.
    4 moxes is probably overkill. Its great with loam and just ok without it. Its really bad in multiples without loam. If you are going to run loam i would probably up the count to 3, meaning you want to see 1 every game at some point. The reason is because with 4 moxes you are going to have hands where you have urborg, depths, stage, and mox. At that point mox is a dead card till you draw another land or a loam. The downside to loam is that it is strong game 1 and depreciates significantly afterwards. Almost every deck brings in grave hate. When that happens your moxes become more risky because the land you pitch could get surgicaled. When i was running 4 loam 4 mox it was great especially with sylvan library because you can replace the sylvan draws with dredges at 0 cost. The downside however is that anything with deathrite became a problem. I ended up settling on 2mox 1 loam because found that the value added of those three cards was too good to ignore. Adding more of either had diminishing returns because of the downsides i mentioned above and in previous posts.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

I have those cards online. After this weekend I'll give it a spin if you want. I do think more loams is important especially if you are setting up a wasteland lock and using lily and mox diamonds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

I can't wait for my Basic Military Qualification is over so I can play...
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

In case anyone is interested, I'll be attempting to stream week 5 of the community legacy league with my BUG version tonight at 8:30 est here:

https://www.twitch.tv/negator77

[Deck] Dark Depths

I'll write a report later, but I took down a legacy mega trial at Eternal Weekend with Depths. Went 4-0-2 (one against miracles and one ID) in the swiss. 2-0 in the top 8, final round wasn't played since pay out was the same. Got 2 byes out of it too.

Great job at the trial! Looking forward to a tournament report from that and the legacy main event. Two byes! You have a chance to bring dank depths onto the legacy scene forever!

In other news, I managed to 5-0 a league with a more fair version of Dank Depths. Once again, I blatantly stole this decklist from the Legacy festival championships. I modified several cards without knowing any of the matches and jammed two leagues. The second one I 5-0'd. This list felt very strong against conventional Miracles in the first league (though they did not play Blood Moon against me) mostly because of Sylvan Library (I upped it to 4!!!).

Matchups:
    2-0 BUG Delver
    2-1 BR Reanimator (lost G2 to Blood Moon)
    2-0 UR Delver
    2-1 Eldrazi
    2-1 Shardless BUG

The list I based mine off:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/449621#online

My list:
    4 Thoughtseize, 3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Vampire Hexmage, 3 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Crop Rotation, 1 Sylvan Scrying, 2 Expedition Map
    4 Sylvan Library
    4 Abrupt Decay, 1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Bayou, 4 Verdant Catacombs, 1 Swamp, 1 Forest
    1 Bojuka Bog, 1 Maze of Ith, 1 Tabernacle
    3 Urborg 4 Stage 4 Depths
    3 Wasteland, 1 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard:
    4 Surgical Extraction
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Karakas
    3 Pithing Needle (feels excessive, we're bringing it in to name Top, occaisionally Wasteland but we have our own Wastelands? unsure about these slots)

Here is the list I ran:

4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide

4 Lotus Petal
    1 Duress
    2 Expedition Map
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Pithing Needle
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Into the North
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    3 Not of This World

1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    3 Bayou
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard
    1 Karakas
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Gloom

Round 1 vs Shardless: 2-1
    Game 1: I punt real hard, I am blaming nerves of actually playing this deck in paper. Ultimately I have a hexmage and depths down, he plays lily and makes me sac. I foolishly make Marit Lage, thinking I have escaped the sac effect. Opps. On to game 2.

Game 2: I take a gamble that he doesn't have a force and go petal x2, hexmage, dark depths, marit lage and pass. He thoughtseizes me and scoops.

Game 3: Nothing special, just able to make marit lage on end of turn 3 and he has no way to deal with it.

Round 2 vs D&T: 2-0
    I have very little to say about this match up. I got lucky. I saw one swords and was able to make a second marit in game 1 after taking out his flicker wisp with discard. Game 2, went like clock work, he never had any answers. I never saw a vial or wasteland from him.

Round 3 vs Big Eldrazi: 2-1
    Game 1: He tries to slow me down with Thorn, but I have a natural combo with lands.

Game 2: Going ok, then wasteland followed by crucible of worlds. Yea, that sucked. Smashers and TKS finished me off.

Game 3: He kept a hand with 2 wastelands and crucible again, but I had turn 1 pithing needle. Basically locked him out of the game.

Round 4 vs Miracles: 1-1-1
    Game 1: This guy was very very good. Multiple top 32s of GPs and time on camera. He claimed to know what this deck does, but a lot of cards caught him off guard. I go the normal route of getting lands in play, and get Library down and a needle on top. I eventually get 2 NoTW in my hand and go off. He casts swords, I counter and he was completely surprised by a free counter. He casts swords again, I counter again. He is then forced to FoW on of the NoTW. I lose the merit, gain 20 and he loses his hand. I eventually make another merit and he brain storms 2 times with a shuffle to look for an answer. Doesn't find it.

Game 2: This was an odd game. I have double discard, which I see a 4 land hand with only 2 cards. I get rid of both of those and proceed to get combo pieces. Both of us proceed to brick lands for 7 turns. Eventually, I get a merit out, but he drops 2 angels, and has a clique and venser. I had given my merit pro-blue with steppe, so I bounce off an angel. He gets me down to 9 with clique and venser beats and drops a mentor and passes, I set up another merit lage and crash in and take out his other angel. EOT he makes 2 monk tokens and on his turn proceeds to chain tops and attacks for the win.

Game 3: We have 4 minutes left to play. I decide to play because it is possible that I win quickly. Ultimately we go to time and turns.

Match 4 vs Grixis Delver: 2-0
    Again not much to say here, it was just a beating. He did nothing special and I turned off his bugs with needle.

Match 5: ID

Top 8
    Quarters vs Shardless (different guy) 2-0
    Game 1: Turn 1 needle on waste land. Followed by discard and getting there with the combo. He didn't have answers

Game 2: I keep a good hand with a lot of redundancy for fetching lands. He Thoughtseizes me, takes sylvan scrying and then plays surgical on that. I had boarded 1 out, but he managed to take the second in my hand. Pretty good. I play out my fast mana and bayou and pass. He Hymns me for both cards in my hand. I figure I am done here. but he plays out a lily and starts plussing her, I have no card at this point so I am just racing the ultimate. I rip an abrupt decay and clear her and we are both in top deck mode. He never finds a beater, and I find my combo pieces and win. At some point he also played surgical on my chalice instead of needle, which seemed like an odd choice to me.

Semis vs Grixis Delver (same guy) 2-0
    Game 1: I get priority because I am the #1 seed. Land and pass, turns out he kept a greedy hand with only waste lands and no colored sources. He goes several turns without finding another land. I take some cards from his hand and eventually start building my board. I can't seem to find a needle, but he wastes a stage. I find another one, and eventually copy his wasteland. I force him to waste my urborg, in response to me wastelanding his wasteland. I play into the north and find depths and then put hexmage into play. I win the next turn.

Game 2: He is on the play and just puts out a volcanic island and passes. I have turn 1 needle again, but I am guessing he has a daze this time around. I draw a ESG, play the needle on wasteland with a bayou, he dazes and I exile the ESG. He was not pleased. He plays a delta and passes. I play discard and he has 3 more dazes in his hand. I take a delver and he has young pyro as well. I get the pieces into place and he just can't answer the combo again.

Very very pleased with the deck. I added the extra map in and couldn't be happier with it. I still like the singleton into the north because it dodges Chalice and directly finds a combo piece or basic if I need it. I managed to play gloom against miracles and I was not impressed. I have decided to go with Crucible and winter orb in the board instead of gloom. Those two cards hurt miracles and D&T much more. If I can chain GQs that is also lethal to some decks. We will see how it plays out, but never being without combo pieces seems really good to me, even if we aren't using loam.

We will see how the main event goes!

[Deck] Dark Depths

Big update. I top 8 eternal weekend!

Wow! So awesome to see this deck do well. Win it all tomorrow! Can't find decklists yet, what changes from yesterday?

P.S. Get some sleep

Edit: lists were just posted. In Quarters Eldrazi has 0 Wastelands 1 Karakas.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Wow! So awesome to see this deck do well. Win it all tomorrow! Can't find decklists yet, what changes from yesterday?

P.S. Get some sleep

Edit: lists were just posted. In Quarters Eldrazi has 0 Wastelands 1 Karakas.
    I will do what I can. But 3 D&T, miracles and B/R Reanimator is not a great set of decks to play against. My one loss between the two days was to B/R reanimator. I did beat a turn 1 Sire of Insanity though. I am glad I get Eldrazi in the quarters.

Crucible won the game for me against R/G Control Lands. Being about to replay my GQ was insanely helpful. I did some insane kung-fu in the game. No one knows what Not of This World does.

For people looking for deck lists, there are here: www.cardtitan.com/coverage

Tournament went like this:
    Round 1 - Bye
    Round 2 - Bye
    Round 3 - Grixis Delver 2-0
    Round 4 - Shardless 2-1
    Round 5 - B/R Reanimator 0-2
    Round 6 - Infect 2-1
    Round 7 - Lands 2-1 (Some of the most fun magic I have ever played)
    Round 8 - Grixis Delver 2-1
    Round 9 - ANT 2-1
    Round 10 - ID

Jan 2010
    UK

My exact list apart from extra Duress in place of second map. I will test it next month in Birmingham Manaleak challenge. Great report, do you remember what did you side in an out against certain decks?

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexPants View Post
    I will do what I can. But 3 D&T, miracles and B/R Reanimator is not a great set of decks to play against. My one loss between the two days was to B/R reanimator. I did beat a turn 1 Sire of Insanity though. I am glad I get Eldrazi in the quarters.

Crucible won the game for me against R/G Control Lands. Being about to replay my GQ was insanely helpful. I did some insane kung-fu in the game. No one knows what Not of This World does.

For people looking for deck lists, there are here: www.cardtitan.com/coverage

Tournament went like this:
    Round 1 - Bye
    Round 2 - Bye
    Round 3 - Grixis Delver 2-0
    Round 4 - Shardless 2-1
    Round 5 - B/R Reanimator 0-2
    Round 6 - Infect 2-1
    Round 7 - Lands 2-1 (Some of the most fun magic I have ever played)
    Round 8 - Grixis Delver 2-1
    Round 9 - ANT 2-1
    Round 10 - ID
    Good luck in top8.
    "Everything is better topless"

Quote Originally Posted by AmokPL View Post
    My exact list apart from extra Duress in place of second map. I will test it next month in Birmingham Manaleak challenge. Great report, do you remember what did you side in an out against certain decks?
    I'll do my best to do a tournament report. It is a little fuzzy, but I'll do what I can.

I'll also post basically how I think about sideboardjng.

Turbo depths list similar to mine just won on camera during top 8 of Eternal weekend. Not of this World shows us all again how awesome it is.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Jun 2016
    Eugene, OR

What's great is that even without the not of this world @ComplexPants could've used his crop rotation to grab a sejiri steppe and still beat the dismember

Sorry about that noob play with the abrupt

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

are you still in contention for top 8? anyone have a link to coverage / standings?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    are you still in contention for top 8? anyone have a link to coverage / standings?
    https://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan

He's made it into the finals! His opponent is still being decided between Death & Taxes and Miracles.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

daniel is living proof that its better to be lucky than have skill.... 4x swords to plows and multiple errors and he still wins game 2.

ORAN WINS!!!
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Good luck in the final game Oran! Quick, everyone, give him your energy! \(^^)/

Edit: Oran gets there!!! Wooooooo! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Thread Information