Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

Re: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    +1 for unplayable chunderbucket piles with chalice

I feel like Thorn is a bit underwhelming here and Trinisphere might serve you better. I would also consider running Chrome Mox over Mox Diamond, and second the Elvish Spirit Guide suggestion.

I also feel like Summoner's Pact is a bit awkward—have you considered a Living Wish package instead? Means you don't have to run uncastable fatties in the maindeck, too.

This also doesn't look like a Wasteland deck to me—I'd probably suggest cutting them (and the Ghost Quarter) in favour of 3 more City of Traitors. You probably don't need the black splash for the sideboard cards, and if you do I'd lean more into it and play some discard.

Also for maximum chunderbucket points Choke should definitely be in the maindeck.
    Well...on thorn I went 2-1 against the decks that care about thorn (2x Canadian thresh/grixis control). But in our ridiculous proxy event meta I ran into slivers/nic fit/breakfast which dont care about thorn and went 0-3 vs them. Also the whole point of the deck is to reveal chancellor and then jam a turn one lock piece .

Living wish and chrome mox over pact and mox diamond definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I ran into slivers/nic fit/breakfast which dont care about thorn and went 0-3 vs them. Also the whole point of the deck is to reveal chancellor and then jam a turn one lock piece .

what lock piece would you have wanted against ^^ decks?
    with living wish you should run the stage/depths combo.

Apr 2017
    London

Well...on thorn I went 2-1 against the decks that care about thorn (2x Canadian thresh/grixis control). But in our ridiculous proxy event meta I ran into slivers/nic fit/breakfast which dont care about thorn and went 0-3 vs them. Also the whole point of the deck is to reveal chancellor and then jam a turn one lock piece .

Hm, I take your point regarding jamming a disruptive card on turn 1, although I guess my point is that I'm not sure Thorn is really a lock piece as such. But if it *is* doing the job you want it to I suppose that's semantics.

Another point I would make is that it's not like Chancellor does nothing if you don't cast your lock piece on turn 1; it's still disruptive. Otherwise the whole idea would be scuppered just by being on the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    what lock piece would you have wanted against ^^ decks?
    with living wish you should run the stage/depths combo.
    Humility! But it's excellent vs me too.... Depths is bad vs dnt which is the most popular deck that doesn't care about thorn. I think vs other thorn (thalia)/chalice decks we just need to race. Plague in the board is the best I've come up with.

@jasper: how is thorn not a lock piece?? Yeah chancellor is good tempo.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

We did it lads! Deck tech in the London Legacy Monthly report at the end. https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...y-september-2/.

Winter Maze

Aug 2015
    The woods again

We did it lads! Deck tech in the London Legacy Monthly report at the end. https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...y-september-2/.
    Sir, I owe you a handshake.

They even kept the title intact.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Sir, I owe you a handshake.

They even kept the title intact.

I might run it back in this month's event with the changes discussed here...

Winter Maze

This deck actually has some pretty sweet (powerful) things going on. I 4-1'd my first league with a pretty suboptimal list, and now I'm 2-0. Played against elves and miracles in this league.

List:

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    This deck actually has some pretty sweet (powerful) things going on. I 4-1'd my first league with a pretty suboptimal list, and now I'm 2-0. Played against elves and miracles in this league.
    Love it; I'm missing only 5 cards from your list and 3 choke MD is spicy...

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post

List:

Excellent work!

Winter Maze

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Seeing the deck in action on Julian's stream was exciting. How has the red splash been so far?

That said, I wonder if not playing Lightning Greaves is the right call. There seems to be alot of downtime before an actual fatty comes down to swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Seeing the deck in action on Julian's stream was exciting. How has the red splash been so far?

That said, I wonder if not playing Lightning Greaves is the right call. There seems to be alot of downtime before an actual fatty comes down to swing.
    Is there a replay link?

Winter Maze

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Is there a replay link?
    Starts around 02:45:00

Bahra, do you have a suggested list now?

Winter Maze

@bahra

I had most of the stuff for your list, so I gave it a spin on MTGO. I don't have either City of Traitors or Cavern of Souls, so I replaced them with 4x Wasteland, 2x Geier Reach Sanitarium, and 1x Forest. Sanitarium and Wasteland have both been so great I don't know that I'd want to change them back.

The deck is really dependent on the opening hand, it's kind of like Belcher in that way. Tons of fun though. Feels strong. Prison + Clock with some tutorable answers via Wish is alright. I do wonder about pulling the Choke's for Ramunap Excavators, or possibly running some number of Green Suns Zeniths instead of so many copies of Piper/Priestess/Champion.

Definitely the foundation for a very strong deck though.

I think we need a discord. Anyone know how to set one up?

Winter Maze

bruizar

I think this deck is a blast. I don't think I would go for the green plan, but you've identified a very nice synergy that I think has great potential.

This would be my core:

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Serum Powder
    4 Chrome Mox

And 4 Spheres, depending on the direction (Creatureless, creatures)

The four existing decks that this could go in to are:
    Dragon Stompy - Backbreaking turn 1 openers of blood moon and chalice
    Angel Stompy - Lets you utilize the white mana from Chancellor-imprinted Chrome Mox and capitalizes on the tempo/disruption with pressure
    MUD - Quickly resolve a Metalworker or Grim Monolith to power out game ending threats. Notoriously mulligan sensitive deck

Perhaps there are other routes, such as Modern's Equipment Storm. A white artifact deck with Sram, Senior Edificer, Puresteel Paladin and 0 mana equipments spells, but I don't think that is necessary per se. Affinity also seems like a worthwhile direction because it can translate the tempo swing into a quick finish.

Artifacts are pretty much hated on between Abrade, Trashmaster and that new Ravnica Goblin.

Interesting, got a list?

Winter Maze

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I've seen this thread getting some posts recently and just ignored it until I just clicked it out of interest. I'm liking this. It's terrible in all of the right ways
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

bruizar

Interesting, got a list?
    Well, not really. But I'd try to maximize game ending turn one plays. Perhaps something like this

4 Plateau
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Plains
    4 Serum Powder
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Thalia, Guardian Of Thraben
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Palace Jailer

Optimized to cast turn 1 Thalia, Thorn, Moon or Chalice. Disclaimer: Not saying at all this is remotely the best direction to take it.

Thread Information