Thread: 23rd At Eternal Weekend with TES

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: 23rd At Eternal Weekend with TES

Congratulations.

I am halfway through but have two questions:

1) What's your reasoning behind rd5, g1:

" I have a slower hand, but have the lands and some cantrips. My opponent begins the game with a Grove of the Burnwillows into Exploration and he puts in Wasteland and just passes the turn. On my turn I fetch for basic Swamp and cast Duress. I see he has Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage, so I have to win next turn. I do not and am off to game two."

Why would you want to fetch for Swamp and cast Duress here? Seems like the worst possibility even without knowing that he has land combo for the next turn. Just start cantripping there fetching for Island (which in all honesty doesn't make any sense in TES from a theoretical perspective).

2) Regarding the board plan vs. storm decks. Why do you leave Past in Flames in your SB? Naturally, it is the best card in those MUs, where usually discard spells and potentially Flusterstorms play a big role. It's clearly better to just draw it or use one of your 4 ITs than to rely on 3 BWs to grab it. I didn't search for an explanation on the TES site though but it seems too soft to simply hope for a tutor > business line.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

1) The reasoning I went with Swamp into Duress here was to try and hit a Crop Rotation or a Gamble while the opportunity was there. Because my hand is slower I wanted to try and slow him down as well. If he has 1 combo piece and then either a Crop or a Gamble then I pretty much just lose if I don't cast Duress. Not saying it was the correct line, just my thought process at the time and may have been a mistake. They typically don't have that fast of a draw, so leading with a cantrip looking for my own combo may have been better.

2) This is just a play style preference. The way I approach the matchup is to just be faster. In this matchup you are right, it is better to naturally draw the Past in Flames instead of tutoring for it, but I tend not to try to play that game. By leaning into a Past in Flames plan you're signing up to play a worse version of their game plan (in my opinion). I want to try to increase my chances of killing them on the very first turns of the game, and to try and avoid playing their game. This is true for outside of storm as well with how I play. I don't like to make my post board games similar to that of my opponents because I feel like I am just playing a worse version of their deck at that point. Just to reiterate it's more of a personal play style and not necessarily a recommendation of how others should play. In this matchup I want to be very aggressive. I want my opponent to cast a Preordain and then just die. I don't want to try and grind them out with discard then whoever gets a Past in Flames first wins. ANT is just better than us at playing that way. If other TES players disagreed with me on how to approach this matchup I would completely understand, but I personally have had more success playing that way.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Polski_ View Post
    1) The reasoning I went with Swamp into Duress here was to try and hit a Crop Rotation or a Gamble while the opportunity was there. Because my hand is slower I wanted to try and slow him down as well. If he has 1 combo piece and then either a Crop or a Gamble then I pretty much just lose if I don't cast Duress. Not saying it was the correct line, just my thought process at the time and may have been a mistake. They typically don't have that fast of a draw, so leading with a cantrip looking for my own combo may have been better.

2) This is just a play style preference. The way I approach the matchup is to just be faster. In this matchup you are right, it is better to naturally draw the Past in Flames instead of tutoring for it, but I tend not to try to play that game. By leaning into a Past in Flames plan you're signing up to play a worse version of their game plan (in my opinion). I want to try to increase my chances of killing them on the very first turns of the game, and to try and avoid playing their game. This is true for outside of storm as well with how I play. I don't like to make my post board games similar to that of my opponents because I feel like I am just playing a worse version of their deck at that point. Just to reiterate it's more of a personal play style and not necessarily a recommendation of how others should play. In this matchup I want to be very aggressive. I want my opponent to cast a Preordain and then just die. I don't want to try and grind them out with discard then whoever gets a Past in Flames first wins. ANT is just better than us at playing that way. If other TES players disagreed with me on how to approach this matchup I would completely understand, but I personally have had more success playing that way.
    Alrighty, thanks for the answers. Better late than never.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Thread Information