Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rumour: Eternal Masters set in Summer/Fall 2016

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Rumour: Eternal Masters set in Summer/Fall 2016

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    inb4 lack of duals basically means "edh masters".
    I'll be looking forward to this being about as "eternal" as the Legacy Cube is Legacy (without any old-border cards).
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    - If his insider knowledge comes from overhearing a conversation between vendors (who somehow had information about the fall set), that would presumably be the same source of his information on the B&R update. But vendors wouldn't have that information. His claim would be much more believable if he stated that he were a WOTC insider, as Eldrazi Spy did when he brought attention to the Overextended format.
    I'm not any more convinced that his information is true, but I do think there's a chance big vendors would find out before the rest of us. Just as an example, here is a link to an old article and a relevant excerpt:

Insider Trading - The Cost of Cards: Mr. Bleiweiss goes to Washington (Part 2 of 3)
    by Ben Bleiweiss
    http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...?Article=18824

A few weeks ago Aaron Forsythe contacted me regarding a meeting that he wanted me to attend at the Wizards of the Coast headquarters. I wasn't told the topic for this meeting but we arranged for me to be in the offices on January 18th - at which point I would sign an NDA be debriefed on the subject matter at-hand and then have meetings with people across several departments at Wizards of the Coast.

There were three "outsiders" that were brought in for this meeting: myself Stephen Menendian and Eric Reasoner. The main meeting was scheduled for the afternoon and I spent the early part of the day discussing my thoughts about some of the ancillary Magic products (Duel Decks Planechase Intro Packs etc) with a couple of Wizards employees. We broke for lunch and then the big meeting began - a meeting with us three consultants and about a dozen people from Wizards about the Reserved List.

Signing an NDA doesn't necessarily prevent you from acting on information. The contract a person signs can vary significantly. I'm not implying that such a thing has occurred with this Eternal Masters set, but secret meetings such as this one do occur. Also, we shouldn't discount the fact that WOTC has had a rash of leaks recently.

Edit: As far as I can deduce, this meeting took place January 18, 2010.
    Last edited by ESG; 01-22-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I'm not any more convinced that his information is true, but I do think there's a chance big vendors would find out before the rest of us.
    I remember hearing on some podcasts back in 2014, before PAX and the announcing of fetches in KTK, that there was talk between vendors and some people suspected of being WOTC employees telling them to sell off their onslaught fetches because of the impending reprint. Also, after glancing at the price history, the onslaught fetches did also start to dip in price before the announcement.

I can't say that what the person on Reddit said is true, but this also isn't the first time something supposedly has been overheard being discussed with vendors.

Creature - Cat Berserker
    Jan 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Here's some grist for the rumor mill - the official WotC page on the reserved list now gives a 404 page not found error.

http://magic.wizards.com/go/tcg/arti.../reprintpolicy
    BORN TO PLOW
    META IS A FUCK
    GRIP EM ALL 1989
    I am green man
    410,757,864,530 DEAD TOPS

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Capt4in View Post
    Here's some grist for the rumor mill - the official WotC page on the reserved list now gives a 404 page not found error.

http://magic.wizards.com/go/tcg/arti.../reprintpolicy

Before people get too tin foily, it seems like what happened was the the old servers were shut down without any of other infrastructure in place to support the move to new servers (surprise huh?).

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Its an issue with the servers when they closed down the old archives. They did not set up the redirects correctly. This is not anything to read into. This will be fixed soon. Also its been down for about a day already.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...are_no_longer/
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

According to some WotC employee:

Someone had a hard on for turning off the old servers. The content still exists, but nobody put redirects in place before turning the servers off. Sorry man, I know it'll be fixed soon (tm)

I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    According to some WotC employee:

I can live with that.
    I did not expect to see that combination of words put together in my life and I am glad that I was wrong.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

My post of the day ... brilliant.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

WotC fucks up something computer related. Film at 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film at 11.
    Can we get Mickael Bay on that ?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Can anybody check if Wizards have trademarked anything regarding Eternal Masters/Legacy Masters or something similiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Can anybody check if Wizards have trademarked anything regarding Eternal Masters/Legacy Masters or something similiar?
    Trademark search shows nothing for Eternal Masters.

Someone registered a domain name eternalmasters.com on January 19th 2016.
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Trademark search shows nothing for Eternal Masters.

Someone registered a domain name eternalmasters.com on January 19th 2016.
    "Legacy Master" trademark belongs to: WESTERN AND SOUTHERN LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY, THE CORPORATION OHIO
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    "Legacy Master" trademark belongs to: WESTERN AND SOUTHERN LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY, THE CORPORATION OHIO
    "What kind of life insurance do you guys sell"
    "Both kinds -- Southern and Western!"

OT -- don't hold your breath
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

edit - I can't read.

Creature - Cat Berserker
    Jan 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Yes re a contract.

Holding up in court? Sure, your lawyer against a corporation's lawyers on a matter of pure financial speculation (ie, no moral upper-ground as in tobacco law suits). It would remind me of the Simpson's lawyer.
    I'm only a law student and this isn't advice but the other option would be a tort suit in fraudulent/negligent misrepresentation, which doesn't require you to prove a contract and deals more with the reliance of the innocent party. I still doubt it would be successful though.

Edit: I also heard the rumor in person from a couple people well before it was making the rounds on reddit. Not sure how reliable those sources are, but I traded some modern staples I wasn't using for a couple extra duals just in case there's a spike, though not enough for the manabase of a whole new deck.
    BORN TO PLOW
    META IS A FUCK
    GRIP EM ALL 1989
    I am green man
    410,757,864,530 DEAD TOPS

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Capt4in View Post
    other option would be a tort suit in fraudulent/negligent misrepresentation,
    I figure you could also do fraudulent advertising. "We won't reprint this stuff" promise when it comes to buying product that is supposed to be collectible would indeed seem fraudulent, and it's a promise that you'd expect them to keep given that you probably bought product under that guise, from them or from others.

It's not the vendor's fault (secondary market in this case) that these people bought a product with a promise or guarantee, it's wizards fault regardless of the time frame in which it was purchased. The idea that it wouldn't hold up in court seems odd to me.

I feel like the only real rebuttle to that is that the super-expensive stuff that they didn't promise not to reprint would be a counterexample of how, despite the list, there are cards that hold their value reasonably.

_____

Related to, but a different topic, I'm unsure that prices would plummet. We see that Fetches have rebounded quite well, for example. Polluted Delta is only 25/35 now on Ebay, but that's what the Zendikar fetches were a couple years ago. They would also likely only "cash in" a bit at a time, like they do with Goyfs and similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Yesterday Jan.24th on Blogatog

huandamonia asked: Are you allowed to make cards that are strictly better than those on the reserved list?

Maro: They have to do something in addition that’s new but yes.
    Tusk Up

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by hymnyou View Post
    Yesterday Jan.24th on Blogatog

huandamonia asked: Are you allowed to make cards that are strictly better than those on the reserved list?

Maro: They have to do something in addition that’s new but yes.
    This usually means they have no compunction about printing a strictly better Afiya Grove. It never means "Snow Duals" or "Triple Lands" or "Shitty Card Creation Thread Duals". Remember remember the Fork of November (okay it was Reverberate, and it was released in July, but whatever) -- people with a vested interest in the RP wrung their hands over a similar card with a functional change, even those there have been plenty of "better than Thunder Spirits" for years. Nobody cares about Thunder Spirit, but print "at least as good as Fork" and EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR MIIIINDS

EDIT: inb4 "urrr sky spirit not on RP" bc I meant Thunder, but really the point is there are many "non format pillars" on the RP that suck ass that nobody cares if they get lapped or obviated because they're not duals or Power.
    Last edited by TsumiBand; 01-26-2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Wrong card name, hurpins
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information