Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BOM 2012 Coverage

Re: BOM 2012 Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    No surprise here, French put on an amazing tournament, everyone gets excited and asks to get a piece of the pie. French only coverage gives a royal arrogant "we're French, deal with it".

I offer to you guys to translate the videos coming soon... still not enough for you ?
    They also could have made crappy, more expensive side events, and paid a real coverage with the money... cause watchdamatch is a volunteer team. But that would have not been agreed by players.
    Forgive my bad English...

Cabal Therapist
    Jul 2010
    Dortmund, Germany

The whole language thing was kind of a trend during the event. Players asked judges in French, the Judge answered in French, and if you were lucky, the Judge asked you AFTERWARDS if you understood French, and then gave an English explanation that was always half as long as the French one. If you got any translation at all, of course.
    This man is a truthspeaker! You deserve a beer - if you see me in Ghent, you may present yourself to me as The Speaker of Truths and I will buy you a beer of choice

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

If they don't want to provide coverage that's fine, but don't advertise that there will be coverage (including streaming video) and then not provide it. They set up expectations, but then didn't deliver. If there had been no mention of coverage anywhere, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by aahz View Post
    If they don't want to provide coverage that's fine, but don't advertise that there will be coverage (including streaming video) and then not provide it. They set up expectations, but then didn't deliver. If there had been no mention of coverage anywhere, I don't think anyone would be complaining.
    It was planned to be a coverage there. But there has been a problem of connection. They desperatly searched for a solution days before, creating topics on French forums etc.. but have not been able to solve it.
    I know it's frustrating. I am myself very angry because of this. But isn't the most important point the fact that the tournament was awesome for players ?

Again, feel free to ask for translations or lists...

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

What really angers me is that there actually seems to be a "valid" discussion about the event being in France, so coverage can be French. No! There's should be no difference in either writing a match report in French or English. In fucking English. Why in the world would you write it in French? If you can't speak/write English, GET someone who can.

BoM is the premier Eternal event in the entire year, but the coverage is so lacking, it's not even funny. Someone pay for my trip and I will work 16h/day providing coverage without asking for a salary.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    What really angers me is that there actually seems to be a "valid" discussion about the event being in France, so coverage can be French. No! There's should be no difference in either writing a match report in French or English. In fucking English. Why in the world would you write it in French? If you can't speak/write English, GET someone who can.

BoM is the premier Eternal event in the entire year, but the coverage is so lacking, it's not even funny. Someone pay for my trip and I will work 16h/day providing coverage without asking for a salary.
    Organize such an event in Germany to show us then...
    In Spain there are converage of their big tournaments, and guess what it is in Spanish (there is also a Spanish coverage of the bom...).
    Why didn't a German team come to cover it ? They would have paid you the trip I believe.
    And no, you cannot blame a team to make coverage in its own language. I want to add that the coverage was half in English and half in French.

Site Contributor

Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by frenchy-man View Post
    Again, feel free to ask for translations or lists...
    Do you by any chance have the Kuldotha MUD list from the Vintage Top 8?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Organize such an event in Germany to show us then...
    I'm not talking about organizing the event. I'm talking about providing coverage. Just sitting there and writing match reports for every round's feature match. Plus have someone copy/paste each round's results and upload them. That takes so little time.

The quality of the English reports was ok. But why in the world hurt yourself by writing every other report in French? Why? I don't get it, it's just bad for everyone involved.

In Spain there are converage of their big tournaments, and guess what it is in Spanish
    I've always disliked that as well despite being able to understand some Spanish.

Why didn't a German team come to cover it ? They would have paid you the trip I believe.
    There's no German coverage team. At least none that shows real interest in Eternal. Still, why even send a team when BoM announces a great coverage on their own?

And no, you cannot blame a team to make coverage in its own language. I want to add that the coverage was half in English and half in French.
    That's my point. I don't think there is a "own language" when it comes to events as big as these. There's no point in writing in your own language when writing in English is just as easy. If someone has real problems with English it's ok, but get someone else to provide coverage then.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Oct 2004
    Earth

But isn't the most important point the fact that the tournament was awesome for players ?
    Definitely. I wish I could have been there.

I was slightly annoyed by the missing coverage also, mostly because the front page of BOM kept advertising the videos ("click here for videos and live stream") but I couldn't find any. What I think you could have done was simply update the front page, once you knew that there was a problem with the videos, with that information.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

(beside the fact that you have several languages spoken in your country if I am not wrong...).
    German is the only official language (Hungarian, Croatian and Slovenian are only recognized regional languages, if that's what you mean), which renders your statement irrelevant.

As stated by others, this was advertised as an international event. If there would be a similar event with a lack of English coverage in Austria, I could completely understand the criticism.

I do understand, that you'd prefer a French one, however I cannot understand the "It's a French tournament, deal with it!", when you basically advertise it all around the world.

Please don't take this all as a bash on France (it is not!), but criticism about the coverage only! It seems like you take this very personally and I would like to clarify that it has nothing to do with you personally or your nationality.

Anyway, I appreciate your offer to translate things, but this doesn't wipe away the lack of pairings, standings and reports during the event.

Quote Originally Posted by aahz View Post
    This.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by H3llsp4wn View Post
    Please don't take this all as a bash on France (it is not!), but criticism about the coverage only! It seems like you take this very personally and I would like to clarify that it has nothing to do with you personally or your nationality.
    I want to stress that I didn't mean my comment as a personal attack on you, frenchy-man.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Yeah sorry guys I took it a bit personnaly, which, after a good ight of sleeping, appears to be ridiculous .

Btw, the lists of the top 8 in Vintage :

http://www.watchdamatch.com/Articles...T-VINTAGE.html

I didn't check if there were any mistakes though.

Sep 2010
    MNL

Daniel Majano is missing his SB from the list.

Just watched the Vintage match between Erik Hegeman (Dredge) VS Daniel Majano (MUD). What exactly happened in G1?
    Daniel activated his Mishra's Factory and then killed it with Wasteland to remove multiple Bridges from Below, only to Erik getting x tokens and Bridges staying in his graveyard.

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
    Just watched the Vintage match between Erik Hegeman (Dredge) VS Daniel Majano (MUD). What exactly happened in G1?
    Daniel activated his Mishra's Factory and then killed it with Wasteland to remove multiple Bridges from Below, only to Erik getting x tokens and Bridges staying in his graveyard.
    Where are you watching the games?
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikenbok View Post
    Where are you watching the games?
    It's on the link frenchy-man posted, scroll past the top 8 a bit. Just 1 match of Vintage, I assume the finals?

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

It's on the link frenchy-man posted, scroll past the top 8 a bit. Just 1 match of Vintage, I assume the finals?
    Thanks for the reply - if anyone knows when the coverage goes up - link it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Dec 2011
    Norway

I think people need to chill. Also, the constructive way of suggesting BoM should have english coverage isn't to start the whole "french are arrogant" or "english is the first language in UK/USA, so we don't have to care about other languages" (now who is arrogant?). Rather, I would say: BoM is a great event. It would undoubtedly be an even better, international event if it provided coverage in english. It could help the event to grow because people living in Europe where french is not spoken (like me, I live in Norway) can read about the tournament and better decide whether or not they want to go there. Good coverage generates interest!

Jun 2007
    Germany

I had a Leyline in play, which I almost forgot by myself. Luckily the judges noticed :-D.
    GP Ghent 2012 - 37th out of 1,345
    Bazaar of Moxen VI 2012 - Vintage - Winner out of 337
    Maintal Legacy April 2012 - Top 8 out of 127
    Bazaar of Moxen V 2011 - Legacy - Top 4 out of 633
    Bazaar of Moxen V 2011 - Legacy last chance trial - Top 16 out of 146
    GP Gothenburg 2010 Side Event Legacy - Top 16 out of 132

Quote Originally Posted by Brot_Ohne_Kruste View Post
    I had a Leyline in play, which I almost forgot by myself. Luckily the judges noticed :-D.
    AH! I somehow missed the Leyline at start of the match.
    Grats on great finish btw!

Thread Information