Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom LaPille - he's at it again

Tom LaPille - he's at it again

http://twitter.com/#!/TomLapilleMagic

Legacy and Vintage contain several decks that "aren't Magic". How much of that is healthy? How good should those decks be? "aren't Magic" means that the game is about something unrecognizable, like dredge or storm or no one casting spells forever or something. My bar for "real Magic" is pretty low- both players playing lands and tapping them to cast spells for four or more turns is plenty.
    If you're still upset about MM being banned... just imagine Tom LaPille being in charge.

This was in the SCG newsletter, so I understand even they found it redonkulous.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Re: Tom LaPille - he's at it again

Bracing for shitstorm...
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I hereby declare the formation of the Player's Convention International, aka PCI. The first order of business:

Vintage and Legacy B&R lists
    1. Tom LaPille - BANNED
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

So he's gonna do what? Ban jewelry in Vintage? Vintage will have combo decks that win consistently T3 no matter what, unless you ban all the jewelry.
    Legacy ? Lol ? You just banned misstep and then you whine that the format is too fast? I am missing something here?
    T4 is also the speed of Zoo, combo being slower than aggro would just mean combo IS aggro (and then aggro become midrange, think Big Zoo>Sligh Zoo>Control>Big Zoo). The only problem Aggro has with combo is that sideboard options for it against combo are garbage while the opposite isn't true (unless you play heavy blue). But Combo have to be faster than aggro just to exist, else it wouldn't. Maybe instead of whining print some goddamn good stack-interaction cards outside of blue, ***lord.

It will always be Wotc's game first and ours second.

That doesn't mean it's "right". I would argue he's a bad designer solely based on the fact that they consider one pile of 60(75) cards to be more offensive than another when they both contain legal cards.
    They should embrace the interactions that players come up with unless it's totally degenerate.

If they didn't think of people storming out for a lethal tendrils when they made the card it just puts a spotlight on their ineptitude.

Let us play the damn game in my opinion and/or playtest your shitty designs better.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Tom LaPille and Sheldon Menery - Separated at birth?
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

PVDDR Paulo Vitor
    @TomLaPilleMagic to me, all of those are more Magic than transform cards :) (except maybe Dredge)
    :-)
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

PVDDR Paulo Vitor
    @TomLaPilleMagic to me, all of those are more Magic than transform cards :) (except maybe Dredge)
    QFT, repeated for emphasis.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Not nearly the worst thing to ever come out of his mouth (the Great Sable Stag comment and implying that running Overgrown Battlement would make mono-green infect in Standard better because "it's a combo deck, and combo decks need defense and mana" were pretty egregious). I actually agree with him to an extent- Dredge and Storm are two archetypes that base themselves upon unintended design, and wouldn't fall under what I would define as the true essence of Magic (although, few Constructed formats have ever fallen under that category).

Doesn't this picture just make you angry?:

Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

RAGE
    Just play a fairer deck, Tom. Don't fuck with the format.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

At least he plays legacy. He played in an unsanctioned legacy event last Sunday. In fact he played dredge. He also did not make top 8 with a very low turn out due to a date change. Only 17 players were playing for duals etc.
    El Presidente of Team Cardtard

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I love Eternal Magic, but I kind of have a hard time disagreeing with him, at least conceptually.

For starters, I've always been a terrible aggro player. Mind you, when I was gainfully employed and way more active in the local scene than I am now, I would build the right combo deck and show up to a tournament and make people realize why I wasn't wasting my fucking time playing Standard like they were. That was like, two layoffs ago. I show up to play, and I'll win with ANT; I just prefer doing it with shit like Angel Stompy. Shrug.

So I mean I *get it*, like if I were TLP and I went to a tourney and went, "Oh maaaan, I can't believe that this 3 color Vampire deck lost to the likes of FUCKING BELCHER", I'd be pissed about it too. It's one of those "country folk in the big city" or "city folk in the big country" stories, or some shit. I know what kind of Magic I *like*, but I also know what kind of Magic actually happens. Maybe that's why I like playing Deadguy. Eh.

When you are making sets where the best 3 creatures are blue you need to look in the mirror, drop your pants, and kick yourself in the man bag.

Quote Originally Posted by makochman View Post
    http://twitter.com/#!/TomLapilleMagic Legacy and Vintage contain several decks that "aren't Magic". How much of that is healthy? How good should those decks be? "aren't Magic" means that the game is about something unrecognizable, like dredge or storm or no one casting spells forever or something. My bar for "real Magic" is pretty low- both players playing lands and tapping them to cast spells for four or more turns is plenty.
    Then you shouldn't have banned Mental Misstep, champ. 4+ turns of a skill-determined outcome may have been unpopular, but at least it was interactive "Magic".
    Great success!

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    So he's gonna do what? Ban jewelry in Vintage? Vintage will have combo decks that win consistently T3 no matter what, unless you ban all the jewelry.
    Legacy ? Lol ? You just banned misstep and then you whine that the format is too fast? I am missing something here?
    T4 is also the speed of Zoo, combo being slower than aggro would just mean combo IS aggro (and then aggro become midrange, think Big Zoo>Sligh Zoo>Control>Big Zoo). The only problem Aggro has with combo is that sideboard options for it against combo are garbage while the opposite isn't true (unless you play heavy blue). But Combo have to be faster than aggro just to exist, else it wouldn't. Maybe instead of whining print some goddamn good stack-interaction cards outside of blue, ***lord.

Holy Snap Dragon!!! I cannot deal with these dumbasses controlling the format... We need to get DCI and Wizards of the Coast out of the same bed!

I hate that guy.

Is being arrogant a job requirement at wizards? Moron doesn't even know how to play the game well .

I generally think WotC does a very good job with the game. With the major exception of LaPille. He's just completely out of touch and clueless. He should not be allowed to speak in public because he continuously embarrasses himself and, by proxy, WotC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Jun 2004
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    I generally think WotC does a very good job with the game. With the major exception of LaPille. He's just completely out of touch and clueless. He should not be allowed to speak in public because he continuously embarrasses himself and, by proxy, WotC.
    Really? I'm surprised. I would think that a Legacy afficianado would be disappointed with Wizards as a whole these days. They've had this mindset that they want to focus on nerfing counterspells into near unplayability and murder the shit out of combo whenever they find it. I much prefer the old Wizards of the Coast. Wizards pre-Onslaught, really. Odyssey was a fine set, Invasions was my favorite set ever, Masques and Urzas had some issues but had very playable T2 formats, Tempest was tits, I mean, the old sets had good flavor. Not flavor insofar as "this fits into our shitty, hackneyed novels" but flavor in terms of cool concepts. I mean yeah, Humility may be an absolute rules nightmare, but it's just a cool card, good name, Foglio art, it's where it's at.

And while I was never on the boat with the '6ED rules will kill the game' crowd, I kind of feel that way about the M10 rules changes. I mean, it was a strict dumbing down of the rules. You took a lot of creatures that were interesting with combat damage on the stack and made them uninteresting. You took a lot of cool tricks with distributing partial damage among several creatures and killed them. Basically, you removed a lot of peoples' ability to maximize the utility of their cards. You removed a lot of skill from the game. Not to improve other aspects of the game, but just to make it more marketable to people that would otherwise be too stupid to play. Call me an elitist intellectual, but I kind of enjoy playing against intelligent opponents.

All in all, I think LaPille is pretty much in line with the rest of the Wizards staff. Rosewater has always been an idiot. Don't get me wrong, I still think LaPille should be sent to Guantanamo for questioning, but it's the whole company these days, not just 1 man. They're not being embarassed by proxy, they're being embarassed by their own inability to think.

Also, I'm not buying the "storm combo was an unintended side effect" bullshit. If storm combo was unforseen, they wouldn't have banned Mind's Desire in Extended well before we even had a full spoiler. They knew full well that the storm cards were too expensive (manawise) to see play outside of combo with only the narrowest of exceptions (Wing Shards).
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

Aha. Ahahaha. Ahahahahaha! What a joke.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Thread Information