Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    That seems pretty good though I'd definitely love some utility/draw in the top end to enter the midgame/lategame at a bit more of an advantage but sadly the best options are all pretty hard to fit and at odds with the current configuration. Also the equipment count is kinda low to run any creatures that can't pull their own weight without it; Trinket + Ballista seems common enough to make Warkite "worthwhile" though. I definitely like Hangarback but if I ran Hangarback, I'd also want to run something like Jace to hide behind it, or more equipment to punch with. The existence of Warkite makes Ballista good enough that I'd want to draw it raw even without Trinket, so I do like multiples and thus the Hangarback would have to come from elsewhere.

I do like the manabase in theory but 26 mana sources is a fair bit (though it's close to what I ended up playing in the end as well) in a deck with this little draw and filtering. That's another reason I'm constantly thinking about Jace but again, Jace the draw engine is not an aggressive card as such (Jace the Bouncer and Fatesealer is but that doesn't address the issue) and it could always be a 4-drop beatstick instead. Thus, it does still beg the question. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of fitting a 1 Hangarback/2 Jace midgame package though; it's akin to what I was doing with Mulldrifters long ago. But it would require fetches, and whether that's a problem depends on the metagame (though Stifle's stock is at something of an all-time low).

Sideboard:
    - I've always been an advocate of 3-4 B2Bs. It attacks an angle the deck doesn't otherwise hit and it's incredibly powerful in a number of match-ups, while we can function alright even without the Sol lands particularly in a slightly slower game (which B2B leads to). It notably makes life miserable for many of the midrange control decks and obviously it's a nuclear bomb against Lands. Call this the "anti-land slot".
    - Anti-Show and Tell/Land slot may or may not be necessary. Venser is the best overall card here and I like 2 Vensers though I'm not opposed to a miser's maindeck Venser either (Flash creatures have a pretty high surprise factor in conjunction with equipment). Bouncing spells and permanents alike is just a really versatile effect and one of the best answers to Omniscience, Emrakul, Marit Lage or company that you can run. This slot is obviously also good against anything cheating big things into play like Reanimator, Sneak Stompy, Eureka, Hypergenesis, etc. Anything except Natural Order really, because Progenitus is Progenitus. This also doubles as an answer to Ensnaring Bridges, Solitary Confinements, Tabernacles, etc.
    - Anti-graveyard slot is a must and at least 1 has to be an artifact like Tormod's Crypt due to Trinket Mage (Relic is also nice and doubles as utility against any decks with Tarmogoyf/Delve creatures/etc. but the dissynergy with Chalice makes me favour Crypt). I've played 2 Crypts but RB Reanimator kinda makes one want to run something like Faerie Macabre or Leyline to dodge Chancellor and to interact turn 0. However, that would take way more SB slots making it well-rounded. One big thing is, sometimes cards like Chalice or
    - Anti-creature slot. You might want one and something like Sower or Control Magic can be pretty strong against things like Eldrazi, D&T, Maverick, Ravager Stompy, Deadguy, etc. and not horrible against grindy UGB decks (though Fatal Push and the banning of Top made Sower much worse). Submerge also goes here though its stock has gone drastically down with the shift from primarily green to black creatures. On the flipside, it's extra brutal against delve creatures.
    - Anti-spell slot. Unlike in the days gone by, nowadays combo is varied and powerful enough that the MD plan is no longer 80/20 vs. most combo decks in the format. To that end, some creature counterspells (Venser is one but temporary) are good. I really like having some number of Glen Elendra Archmages at least in the side. 2 of them.
    - Grind slots. The deck actually isn't bad in longer games and some match-ups (Miracles, control in general) tend to go fairly long. To that end, some grindy cards like JTMS, Hangarback, Griffin or such can serve the SB well.
    - General utility. In some match-ups Chalices are pretty weak particularly on the draw (D&T, Goblins, Stompy mirrors, etc.) and things like Spyglass or Needle shine. I like Needle as it's searchable with Trinket but you can split the difference. EE is not horrid vs. Elves, EtW, etc. Ballista similarly. These are good in that they tend to be pretty broadly applicable where you clearly want to side out some part of your plan, and being Trinketable makes for extra value. If the SB has a lot of these, the 4th Trinket definitely needs to be there between the main and the side as the extra value is huge.

Overall, my approach to SBing FS has always been to have enough broad cards that act as silver bullets in various match-ups that I can always side out what I don't want and thus transform my maindeck into a more efficient variant. Add to that actual silver bullets like B2B where applicable, of course. I want to shift the main gameplan towards the deck I'm facing rather than relying on the SB cards solely to win (with B2B being the big exception that doesn't really complement the main plan but is just too strong not to run), since the main gameplan is pretty streamlined and the pieces are kinda interlocked so removing anything messes with the deck's ratios.
    Sorry to cause such work for you, but thanks for the reply. I am very familiar with the deck, and its SB options. I just need to build one that fits with the new version. To condense your two main points though, I am strongly considering 2 Jace in the board. I don't believe it fits with the main plan, but is extremely powerful in the right matchup. 3-4 B2B is a definite, and very likely 1 Hangar to go with them for an anti-Control package. Spyglass is also highly likely, though depending on how the rest of the slots fall out, I might go with Cursed Totem. As far as anti-creature, I need to see how the deck performs as-is. Especially with Warkite. He also might take some of the pressure off the Show matchup. My hope is the natural course of the deck attacking and equipping will give the opportunity for Warkite to remove anything stopping us from racing. I have 24 mana sources, and I'm totally fine with that. Looter is excellent at dealing with flood. And far better at that then with screw. This deck is better than other Stompy decks at closing, but it cannot have mana problems early with the lack of redundant lock pieces giving us free turns like the less aggressive versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Aye, I've arrived at the same conclusion; screw is death while with flood you can at least still play. This is why I always find myself adding more and more mana sources and draw. An interesting option for the last land could also be the new Memorial to Genius, which CiPTs but offers extra flood protection. Probably CiPT is too big of a drawback and Faerie Conclave would likely be a better anti-flood card but it's good to have all the options mapped out and when flooded, "draw 2" is a fine use for a land. If it only were a painland instead of a CiPT land...

Another Dominaria-card that's not absolutely terrible by the looks of it would be The Antiquities War allowing for tutoring up some equipment/Chalices/mana and then swinging with a bunch of 5/5s, but it's a tad slow and our artifact count is probably too low for it. Some kind of blue affinity build is probably better suited for it though waiting for 3 turns to swing seems painful (it's basically Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas with an easier manacost). Other than that, it's really just Zahid. But what a huge improvement that is; finally updating our creature base to the modern era.

And yeah, compared to the other Stompy-decks we're overall far less all-in on the lock plan. We do have Chalices to buy time but FS has an actual midgame since it doesn't sacrifice much for its explosive potential. Thus the gameplan has to also be placed in a more extended scope since games are more rarely over on the first turn (Chalice at 1 still wins more on its own than anything else in the deck but it's not the sole reason to play FS at least).

Though with Ensnaring Bridge now being picked up by Dragon Stompy and placing so well I'm more and more inclined to think about some artifact solution like Venser in the maindeck.

I've tested the new lists and new cards quite a bit now.

I personally do not like Looter because when I need to chose what to play, if I want a creature he is the weekest card to chose, if I want to draw or filter, he is at least 1 turn slow. That card slow us down 1 turn in everything he does. Well, turn 1 looter is quite good, with mox, but Chalice, Trinket, Drake etc are good play on turn 1 with a mox.

So I went back to my block
    3 Cloud of Faeries (now even new tricks with Ballista and Djiin)
    2 Thirst for knowledge
    I prefere them to 4 looters a lot

Dancer is sweet and fun
    Djinn is very good
    Nemesis is god
    Ballista sometimes very good, sometimes very bad. maximum 2X.
    Warkite Marauder made me quite happy the first game I played with him ... but game after game I was lowing down their number. At the moment I have zero.

As for the manabase, I'm using 24 cards, 14 mana ramp, 18 lands

9 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Mox Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Force of Will
    2 Thirst for Knowledge

4 Chalice of The Void
    1 Pithing Needle

2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Walking Ballista
    4 Trinket Mage
    3 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Sea Drake
    2 Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Stratus Dancer

Side
    2 Misdirection
    1 Jace
    1 Needle
    2 Tormod
    2 Revoker
    3 Venser
    1 Rushing River
    3 back to basics

I would like a 5th equipment in the main (Jitte number 3)

Drake is still so good ... especially with 6 "mox" and better than Warkite Marauder who does notting by his own. In fact when I tested Warkite Marauder I had 5 (or sometimes even 6 ) equipments.

This list can play chalice @2 without drawbacks (no Looter and marauder) a part from the jittes

Has anyone ever tried Search for Azcanta ?

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by frustanani View Post
    I've tested the new lists and new cards quite a bit now.

I personally do not like Looter because when I need to chose what to play, if I want a creature he is the weekest card to chose, if I want to draw or filter, he is at least 1 turn slow. That card slow us down 1 turn in everything he does. Well, turn 1 looter is quite good, with mox, but Chalice, Trinket, Drake etc are good play on turn 1 with a mox.

So I went back to my block
    3 Cloud of Faeries (now even new tricks with Ballista and Djiin)
    2 Thirst for knowledge
    I prefere them to 4 looters a lot

Dancer is sweet and fun
    Djinn is very good
    Nemesis is god
    Ballista sometimes very good, sometimes very bad. maximum 2X.
    Warkite Marauder made me quite happy the first game I played with him ... but game after game I was lowing down their number. At the moment I have zero.

As for the manabase, I'm using 24 cards, 14 mana ramp, 18 lands

9 Island
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Mox Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Force of Will
    2 Thirst for Knowledge

4 Chalice of The Void
    1 Pithing Needle

2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Walking Ballista
    4 Trinket Mage
    3 Cloud of Faeries
    4 Sea Drake
    2 Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Stratus Dancer

Side
    2 Misdirection
    1 Jace
    1 Needle
    2 Tormod
    2 Revoker
    3 Venser
    1 Rushing River
    3 back to basics

I would like a 5th equipment in the main (Jitte number 3)

Drake is still so good ... especially with 6 "mox" and better than Warkite Marauder who does notting by his own. In fact when I tested Warkite Marauder I had 5 (or sometimes even 6 ) equipments.

This list can play chalice @2 without drawbacks (no Looter and marauder) a part from the jittes

Has anyone ever tried Search for Azcanta ?
    I've never tried Search.

I agree about Warkite. He's probably a 1 or 2 main, with the same in the SB for appropriate decks.

I don't see how you could possibly think Cloud is a stronger 2 drop than Looter. The deck needs draw. The deck really needs filtering. It doesn't need speed or tricks. If you want more powerful openings, that lose to Force and removal, and to lose to the lamentably regular string of dead draws this deck has then Cloud is the call. And as powerful as it is, the deck cant afford the tempo drain of TFK. Otherwise it would run Counterspell over Dancer and the like.
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I searched the thread and only found 3 mentions of "copter", if you need card filtering you could consider Smuggler's Copter. Easily comes down turn 1 and works great with Ballista and Hangarback Walker, all playable off a single sol land and attacking + looting on t2. Also you have more flyers so the flying attack can be good. Copter would also be nice with Bitterblossom and/or Spellstutter sprite, lots of options.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    I searched the thread and only found 3 mentions of "copter", if you need card filtering you could consider Smuggler's Copter. Easily comes down turn 1 and works great with Ballista and Hangarback Walker, all playable off a single sol land and attacking + looting on t2. Also you have more flyers so the flying attack can be good. Copter would also be nice with Bitterblossom and/or Spellstutter sprite, lots of options.
    The reason that Copter isn't run is that it directly competes for slots with Equipment. Both in function, that they require a creature to do anything, and as an Artifact. Which is far more relevant. The deck absolutely cannot cut more U cards. Adding to that; Equipment acts as the deck's removal, which Copter can't do. And that you can get the same effect with a U card. Copter doesn't really have a place.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I see, thanks for the answer!

Parcher, any idea of the sideboard plan in full? Maybe I'm going to take this bad boy to Birmingham

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    Parcher, any idea of the sideboard plan in full? Maybe I'm going to take this bad boy to Birmingham
    Not yet, but I will soon. As with Zahid now legal, I'm going to play it somewhere.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

I'm testing the deck quite a lot

I see Parcher's need to play Looter (I put him back) but I don't feel the reason why he is so convinced against Cloud of Faeries and Thirst for knowledge.

At the moment my updated list is

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Island
    1 Faerie Conclave
    1 Saprazzan Skerry
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Oroboro, Place in the Clouds (20 lands, testing some special lands, 18 entering not tapped as standard)

4 Chrome Mox
    1 Mox Diamond (25 mana sources total in cockatrice)

4 Chalice of The Void
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Walking Ballista

4 Force of Will
    2 Thirst for Knowledge

3 Trinket Mage
    3 Looter Il-Kor
    3 Sea Drake
    3 Stratus Dancer
    3 Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp
    4 True-Name Nemesis (19 creatures + 1 Ballista + 1 Faerie Conclave)

2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Misdirection
    3 Back to Basics
    3 Venser, Shaper Savant
    1 Rushing River
    2 Tormod's Crypt

25 mana source playing on cockatrice, 24 when playing with real cards (-1 land or Mox Diamond + 1 Trinket Mage)

I find myself so often siding in 2 Revokers + 1 Needle (the second one), so to have 4 "needle effects" + 3/4 Trinket Mage.
    Venser, I use him g2 / g3 so often too. Rushing River probabely could be cut but he is so useful against those decks you want to play with the race.
    Walking Ballista always make me think: his problem is that when he is useful, he is very useful, and you need 2 copies of him. Otherwise he is just a card you don't want and he is not even blue.
    I will probabely cut the 3rd Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp for the 4th Drake if I continue facing so many Karakas.
    I have just tested 2 Vendilion (-1 Dancer + 1 Nemesis) but I think the Clique in not for this deck, at least for the main. They could be 2X in the side with 2 Misdirection.
    I might test Thopter Spy Network 2X in the sideboard (-1 Back to Basics - 1 Rushing River)

This will be my build for Birmingham:

4 True Name Nemesis
    3 Zahid, Djinn of the lamp
    4 Stratus Dancer
    2 Walking Balista
    2 Warkite Marauder
    2 Sea Drake
    3 Looter il-Kor
    3 Trinket Mage

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Pithing Needle

4 Force of Will

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Snow-covered Island
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Oboro, palace in the sky

SB
    4 Back to Basics
    1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Sower of Temptation
    2 Venser, Shaper Servant
    2 Cursed Totem??
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 JTMS
    1 Hangarback walker

Hopefully will test it tonight.

Sideboard definitly not set. Probably 1 B2B will be cut. and some other choices I'm not sure about.

Reasoning:
    B2B: as mentioned before, this can be backbreaking against certain decks, I guess it also works against Grixis decks, Czech pile for sure, Lands, for Depths I think it's to slow but CAN slow them down, but not an auto include. Also good against DnT?? Stopping the ports, karakas only once? Do you board this in against SnT?
    Glen Elandra Archmage: Maybe a second one, obviously good against spell based decks, Miracles, SnT, Storm (although against storm, maybe a thad to slow? it's as 'fast' as Stratus dancer by mana on a single turn, Dancer is 'faster' over 2 turns)
    Sower of Temptation: good against the creature decks AND certain combo decks, stealing large creatures, I'm thinking Angler (don't we have enough against Grixis?) Eldrazi stuff, even DnT?, but can take over a spaghetti monster, Marit Lage, ...
    Venser, Shaper Servant: I think this is our answer all, that might need 3 copies in the side. As mentioned before, the uses for him are almost for every treat that troubles us. My main concern, what matchups DON'T we side him in?
    Cursed Totem: as mentioned by Parcher, definitly not sure about this slot, maybe a one off. But stops Elves straight in their tracks, might be a very decent option against grisselbrand based decks (no more card draws), but don't we have enough against those decks? Stops Alurens durdling and kill condition. I think the main reason is Elves. (do we really board this against DRS or other dork based decks?)
    Tormod's Crypt: We need some gravehate, 4 FoW's ain't and 4 CotV might not be enough against reanimator/dredge decks. Is also a decent answer against Loam strategies. and can be fetched and played in the same turn with Trinket Mage.
    JTMS: against control decks, mostly think Miracles and Czech, anytime a game should be going long.
    Hangarback Walker: Can be searched with trinket mage, also against control decks, does it work against Miracles? Because they have Terminus and STP (ok, CotV), don't think it's the best option against them, but against DnT (extra target to remove), all none White based control decks?

My main concerns:
    Maybe a couple extra needle effects, against depths, and other shenanigan decks. (might replace the Cursed totem) but what is the best?
    Needle (nonbo with CotV)
    Revoker (can target mana abilities but easier to remove)
    Spyglass (needle that gets around CotV and gives the correct info, but not searchable)

Is Trophy Mage not a good creature in the side in matchups where you want to search you swords?
    Does Nimble Obstructionist have a place (I saw a lot of PRO's and CON's)
    Misdirection, love the card, but against what decks are you siding this in? Also against storm??
    Clique, also love the card, but that double blue... would be a extra choice against storm.

EDIT: almost forgot, no love for Swords of Light and Shadow? We lose a lot of life and cards due to Ancient Tomb and FoW, this might keep us in the longer games and recurring a creature.

Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

My main will be within 2-3 cards of what you list. Still working a bit with mana sources and Drake vs Warkite.

B2B: as mentioned before, this can be backbreaking against certain decks, I guess it also works against Grixis decks, Czech pile for sure, Lands, for Depths I think it's to slow but CAN slow them down, but not an auto include. Also good against DnT?? Stopping the ports, karakas only once? Do you board this in against SnT?

I can't find room for 4, but it is powerful enough to warrant it. You don't bring it against Grixis. Too awful a tempo play, and they can play around it to a degree. Nor vs DnT or Show.

Sower of Temptation: good against the creature decks AND certain combo decks, stealing large creatures, I'm thinking Angler (don't we have enough against Grixis?) Eldrazi stuff, even DnT?, but can take over a spaghetti monster, Marit Lage, ...

Grixis has Bolt. Don't play Sower vs. Bolt.

Venser, Shaper Servant: I think this is our answer all, that might need 3 copies in the side. As mentioned before, the uses for him are almost for every treat that troubles us. My main concern, what matchups DON'T we side him in?

Venser is a stop-gap, not an answer. Keep in mind that you will never get full value with Venser in this deck, since no one will miss you holding open 4 mana. We don't really do that.

Cursed Totem: as mentioned by Parcher, definitly not sure about this slot, maybe a one off. But stops Elves straight in their tracks, might be a very decent option against grisselbrand based decks (no more card draws), but don't we have enough against those decks? Stops Alurens durdling and kill condition. I think the main reason is Elves. (do we really board this against DRS or other dork based decks?)

Where Totem really shines is vs DnT and Maverick. But, I think that Spyglass is a better overall use of this slot.

Hangarback Walker: Can be searched with trinket mage, also against control decks, does it work against Miracles? Because they have Terminus and STP (ok, CotV), don't think it's the best option against them, but against DnT (extra target to remove), all none White based control decks?

This is my 16th card right now. Don't know for sure either way.
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I like the miser's 1-of Venser main. It's not a card I actively want all that often but it has a lot of uses and it's never dead. It also answers problems and wins games no other card in the deck does; it's the only silver bullet we have against Omnitell, it's our only answer to Ensnaring Bridge (and various little played enchantments that stop us from winning through the combat step), it clowns Marit Lage, it's a fairly solid tempo play against any Delve creatures and obviously it's very powerful against Emrakul, Griseldad, etc. (so any decks cheating stuff into play, really) It can also bounce a Sneak Attack on the table for us to counter it, or indeed our own Chalice in the event that we need to reset it or play a Needle through it or whatever. The bounce effect is often better than a destroy effect would be against the likes of Lage, Griseldad and company (though annoyingly Griseldad still gets to draw a storm).

Overall, it's not especially useful against the fair decks though against some of the trickier decks like D&T and Maverick it can get some good mileage (the more GoodStuff the deck, the less they care about one permanent being bounced), but it's a godsent against most of the unfair decks (Storm not withstanding, but permanent-based combo has been far more popular as of late). Basically, it's like Rushing River but also a flash beater that carries equipment and can engineer very one-sided boardstates. I wouldn't want multiples; perhaps main 1, board 1 but that's mostly to hedge against Omnitell and more generally the Show and Tell and Dark Depths-decks. If you don't expect these decks to be a big metagame player, it's probably not very relevant though again I'm a bit worried going up against our mono-red cousins and the new Planeswalkers + Bridge variants. Of course we do have Force of Will, but being cold to a resolved Bridge does kinda suck if you expect to face a significant number of them. Having the miser's out means you can play the game out and try and engineer a boardstate where you can bounce and win or bounce and counter(preventing additional Bridges from landing through Stratus Dancer, GEA and FoW of course).

Stratus dancer can only counter instants and sorcery's. So doesn't help against bridge. I follow the logic of 1 main, although we don't have any means to search him. Can you share you list and Sideboard?

Played Friday and got a 2-2 result, but overall satisfied.
    Won 2-1 against goblins, but was an extremely tight game.
    Lost 0-2 against DnT, my own fault? Or just variance. Kept my hand (because I know he was on DnT, but was a mistake) with Jitte, SoFaI, Ballista, 2 ancient tombs, fow, chrome Mox and stratus dancer. Forced his Aether Vial, mistake number 1.since now I lose a creature AND a blue card to put under Mox. Played Jitte and the turn after I played a Ballista for 2 that got sword Ed, drew nothing but Sol lands and moxes afterwards (and one island) and I did draw another creature, TNN, with one blue mana that was constantly getting ported. The second game was more interesting, but when I almost had him, I drew nothing but lands. Cursed totem was fun (played him once in the side, and added 2 spyglass)
    Lost 0-2 against a Uw standstill control deck, game 1 I got beat down by factories. Game 2 I thought I had control with a SoFaI equipped, 2 creatures out CotV on 1,... And then he played Disc, and I Drew force the turn after... Disc blew up 7 things, good value.
    Won 2-0 against TES, mulled a hand because I know I was playing TES but in hindsight, was also a good decision against other decks. Game 2 was funny, I had to mull to 6, had a hand with a turn 1 Chalice, had a stratus dancer, Glen Elandra, blue card and I scried... Force. He couldn't beat that hand.

Lessons of that night: we are playing Stompy, variance will screw you over some times, try to mull below average hands.
    Don't Force the same things as a normal blue deck will, you sometimes need that creature and force as a blue source for Mox. (or just saving force for the removal...)
    I want more needle effects, it was necessary in 3 of my matchups. Spyglass is nice, but needle can be searched. Had that issue twice in post board games where the first needle was destroyed and I didn't had a second one to search but a mage in my hand. So one spyglass will be turned to a needle.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I don't have a proper list right now, sadly. I haven't quite gotten the numbers to align the way I'd want them to. I do like going up to 2 Needles post-board, especially as particularly on the draw, you side out a number of Chalices in many of those MUs (I r don't think it's worth keeping in vs. D&T for instance). And yes, FoW is a very different card in this deck compared to blue decks heavier on permission. Here you counter the key spell, very rarely the enablers. It's also a great tempo play but post-board you tend to save it for the cards that count.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Ever since seeing The Antiquites War, I've been mulling over a bit of a crazy thought: trying a hybrid of Steel Stompy and FS. The principal idea is pretty simple: we have lots of cards that care about counters and plenty of artifacts that tend to go dead down the line. We also already play 3-4 Trinket Mages and 2 Hangarback/Walking Ballista. All we really need is to add few more HBW/WB and the 4 Ravagers alongside perchance some Steel Overseers and we have most of the same power (not quite all of it; our Ravagers aren't as good but the Ravager + Hangarback/Ballista is just as potent here) but we can also run stuff like Zahid, Umezawa's Jitte, Force of Will, Back to Basics and company. It does raise some interesting tensions that would have to be solved for the deck to have acceptable reliability though:
    - Chrome Mox can't imprint artifacts so it gets significantly worse. Probably at least some number needs replacing.
    - Force of Will naturally suffers of the lower blue card count but I believe we can keep the ~20ish blue cards for reasonably reliable FoW access (3 Zahid, 4 Trinket, 4 FoW, 2 Antiquites War, some number of Stratus/GEAs/Vensers/etc.) while still having enough artifacts to make Ravager and company good.
    - Need enough artifacts for Ravager and Antiquites War (should we choose to run it). For 5 cards to contain an artifact at least 90% of the time (my threshold for reasonable reliability), we'd need 23 artifacts. We already run 4 Chalices, 4 Moxen, 1 Seat, 4 equipment, 1 Needle, 2 Ballista/Hangarback for 16 artifacts. The addition of 4 Ravagers, some Ballistas/Hangarbacks would naturally push us over the threshold though of course we could also add more Seat of the Synods too (at the cost of becoming more vulnerable to Wasteland and B2B getting slightly worse).
    - Blue artifact creatures?? Master of Etherium, Esperzoa, none of them look particularly appealing for what we're doing.

Benefits:
    - Mox Opal becomes an option instead/in addition to some Chromes/Petals. 0-drop artifacts are pretty key to enable Ravager anyways.
    - Jitte gets significantly stronger with Ravager being able to counterdump it for either massive damage, or removal, or even lifegain.
    - Some fringe options with Ravager to set a particular Chalice without having to pay for it.
    - Our 2-drops get stronger and more synergistic. Overall, more power through synergy, but some cards that aren't amazing on their own.

The numbers would have to look like
    24 mana sources (20 lands, 4 Mox/Petal/etc.)
    16 artifacts between creatures and spells (3 Seat of the Synods would push us to 23 artifacts though blue/artifacts would also work)
    20 blue cards

It's possible to hybridize blue cards and artifacts to get a larger number of each or go down to 18-17 blue cards; 16 would be the absolute minimum and at that point I wouldn't even consider running Chrome Mox anymore.

Perhaps it doesn't belong in this thread and I should go to New and Developmental to play around with this but ultimately I feel like the 2-drops we'd get this way are stronger than most of what we currently play, at least accounting for the combo potential (but lacking additional ways to add counters is of course a bit of a downer). Compared to Steel Stompy we have the obvious advantage of having blue cards including FoW, B2B, Zahid, Trinket Mage and company but the equally obvious disadvantage of having a less streamlined plan, fewer artifacts to feed the artifact synergies, and we run the risk of losing to color screw. Of course, we're also less reliant on artifacts and thus cards like Null Rod, Energy Flux and even Ancient Grudge are far less bothersome for us. The curve is higher but that's partially offset by running more mana and Trinket Mages being able to fetch mana in case of emergency. On the other hand it's also an advantage in enabling us to better use Chalice for 2 and having more to do while flooding.

I don't know if this stew will amount to anything but the pieces feel like they're there if the ratios and the cards tying it all together are set right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Ever since seeing The Antiquites War, I've been mulling over a bit of a crazy thought: trying a hybrid of Steel Stompy and FS. The principal idea is pretty simple: we have lots of cards that care about counters and plenty of artifacts that tend to go dead down the line. We also already play 3-4 Trinket Mages and 2 Hangarback/Walking Ballista. All we really need is to add few more HBW/WB and the 4 Ravagers alongside perchance some Steel Overseers and we have most of the same power (not quite all of it; our Ravagers aren't as good but the Ravager + Hangarback/Ballista is just as potent here) but we can also run stuff like Zahid, Umezawa's Jitte, Force of Will, Back to Basics and company. It does raise some interesting tensions that would have to be solved for the deck to have acceptable reliability though:
    - Chrome Mox can't imprint artifacts so it gets significantly worse. Probably at least some number needs replacing.
    - Force of Will naturally suffers of the lower blue card count but I believe we can keep the ~20ish blue cards for reasonably reliable FoW access (3 Zahid, 4 Trinket, 4 FoW, 2 Antiquites War, some number of Stratus/GEAs/Vensers/etc.) while still having enough artifacts to make Ravager and company good.
    - Need enough artifacts for Ravager and Antiquites War (should we choose to run it). For 5 cards to contain an artifact at least 90% of the time (my threshold for reasonable reliability), we'd need 23 artifacts. We already run 4 Chalices, 4 Moxen, 1 Seat, 4 equipment, 1 Needle, 2 Ballista/Hangarback for 16 artifacts. The addition of 4 Ravagers, some Ballistas/Hangarbacks would naturally push us over the threshold though of course we could also add more Seat of the Synods too (at the cost of becoming more vulnerable to Wasteland and B2B getting slightly worse).
    - Blue artifact creatures?? Master of Etherium, Esperzoa, none of them look particularly appealing for what we're doing.

Benefits:
    - Mox Opal becomes an option instead/in addition to some Chromes/Petals. 0-drop artifacts are pretty key to enable Ravager anyways.
    - Jitte gets significantly stronger with Ravager being able to counterdump it for either massive damage, or removal, or even lifegain.
    - Some fringe options with Ravager to set a particular Chalice without having to pay for it.
    - Our 2-drops get stronger and more synergistic. Overall, more power through synergy, but some cards that aren't amazing on their own.

The numbers would have to look like
    24 mana sources (20 lands, 4 Mox/Petal/etc.)
    16 artifacts between creatures and spells (3 Seat of the Synods would push us to 23 artifacts though blue/artifacts would also work)
    20 blue cards

It's possible to hybridize blue cards and artifacts to get a larger number of each or go down to 18-17 blue cards; 16 would be the absolute minimum and at that point I wouldn't even consider running Chrome Mox anymore.

Perhaps it doesn't belong in this thread and I should go to New and Developmental to play around with this but ultimately I feel like the 2-drops we'd get this way are stronger than most of what we currently play, at least accounting for the combo potential (but lacking additional ways to add counters is of course a bit of a downer). Compared to Steel Stompy we have the obvious advantage of having blue cards including FoW, B2B, Zahid, Trinket Mage and company but the equally obvious disadvantage of having a less streamlined plan, fewer artifacts to feed the artifact synergies, and we run the risk of losing to color screw. Of course, we're also less reliant on artifacts and thus cards like Null Rod, Energy Flux and even Ancient Grudge are far less bothersome for us. The curve is higher but that's partially offset by running more mana and Trinket Mages being able to fetch mana in case of emergency. On the other hand it's also an advantage in enabling us to better use Chalice for 2 and having more to do while flooding.

I don't know if this stew will amount to anything but the pieces feel like they're there if the ratios and the cards tying it all together are set right.
    Nice plan.
    I am actually trying to build a hybrid build too... But between faerie stompy and painter because I am trying to build starting from the good cards only
    4 fow
    4 chalice
    1 pithing needle
    4 trinket mage
    1 walking ballista
    4 true-name
    2/3 zahid djinn

The idea is the following:

3 ancient tomb
    3 city of traitors
    3 saprazzan skerry
    1 seat of the synod
    10 sland
    4 chrome mox

4 chalice of the void
    4 force of will
    4 thirst for knowledge
    2 tezzeret the seeker
    3 whir of invention
    4 true-name nemesis
    3 zahid, djinn of the lamp
    4 painter servant
    4 trinket mage
    3 grindstone
    1 pithing needle
    0 engineered explosives
    1 walking ballista
    0 trasmute artifact

Is still 61 cards.
    Need to cut something.
    What do you think ?

I am trying saprazzan skerry even in normal faerie stompy chalice-aggro style. It is quite good with sea drake and nemesis as 23th and 24th mana sources.
    Bytheway drake is so better than marauder.

Cool blue painter list.

I'm still on the fence about the orginal FS list (I posted mine earlier). I'm questioning the following:

2 Sea Drake
    2 Warkite Marauder

or

4 Sea Drake (still need to find 2 in Birmingham)

or

2 Sea Drake
    2 Serendib Efreet

My current prefence goes to option 2, 4 drakes, but if I don't find them, maybe replace the by 2 efreet. Still think this is an excellent creature, advantages over drake are, doesn't die to a lone bolt, can block delver, no loss on curve (if played with 2 or more lands). Downsides ofcourse, pinging yourself, you are doing that alone with your tombs and forces. and less attack.

But the warkite marauders will provide awesome shenanigans when accompanied by equipment or a ballista. Plus they can't be blocked by a single flier, helps Mage to get through, disable hatebears after attack (Thalia 2.0 and such) would love them maindeck against SnT, but might be too fancy.

Can you guys help me get convinced for the marauders or just go for the straight beatdown plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    Cool blue painter list.

I'm still on the fence about the orginal FS list (I posted mine earlier). I'm questioning the following:

2 Sea Drake
    2 Warkite Marauder

or

4 Sea Drake (still need to find 2 in Birmingham)

or

2 Sea Drake
    2 Serendib Efreet

My current prefence goes to option 2, 4 drakes, but if I don't find them, maybe replace the by 2 efreet. Still think this is an excellent creature, advantages over drake are, doesn't die to a lone bolt, can block delver, no loss on curve (if played with 2 or more lands). Downsides ofcourse, pinging yourself, you are doing that alone with your tombs and forces. and less attack.

But the warkite marauders will provide awesome shenanigans when accompanied by equipment or a ballista. Plus they can't be blocked by a single flier, helps Mage to get through, disable hatebears after attack (Thalia 2.0 and such) would love them maindeck against SnT, but might be too fancy.

Can you guys help me get convinced for the marauders or just go for the straight beatdown plan.
    I would go with 4 drakes
    Marauder alone does kind of notting if not equipped or without a ballista. To my test he is good when having 8 cards between ballista, jitte or sword.
    If you don't have drakes yet, than efreet which has also a more "friendly" casting cost: as less cc2 you have, they more relaxed you are in playing chalice @2, which is even stronger than chalice @1 vs some decks.

Or... 2 thirst for knowledge if your creatures' number is enought.

I follow your reasoning, and I was thinking in the same lines.
    But we don't have THAT much cmc2 in our deck. 3 Looters, (ballista can dodge it), Jitte and that's it. I'm not counting the stratus dancer because they will dodge it 95% of the time when you will cast them for their morph cost. (the 5% is when you absolutely need a flyer asap and hardcast him)

Thread Information