Page 213 of 254 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,260 of 5079

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [DTB] R/G Combo Lands

Control, combo and midrange. The one most overlooked is combo. Dropping a turn one Thorn into a turn two Tracker really helps against ANT. The issue can often be that we lock them, but then give them too much time to find an answer.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jan 2017
    Poland

And against things you know for sure will side bazilions of grave-hate against you. At my local MKM Prague Trials I won g2 against death&taxes keeping hand with Mox, Mox, Tracker, Tracker and 3 lands. First tracker ate Swords, second ate him :)

with all new cycling heavily cards, what you guys thinking about new win conditions for lands, instead of Punishing Fire? Lightning Rift or Faith of the Devoted.
    Of course they can be countered and removed, but if they don't get countered, most decks don't have multiple remove enchantment options and after they are in the table, thing like Chalice or Blood Moon can't do nothing. With enought cycling lands, you're not only causing damage, but drawing cards (or dredging). If you drop a Flutuator, this could be a free draw.

Mar 2013

What does this plan offer you that we need thought? What is the advantage of the change? Right now, you can dredge into both parts of Grove/Fire and then set it up. You do not need anything in hand to get started and that is why, in a deck built on Dredge, the combo endures. What do we gain by removing that and adding something else?

Also Cycling in this deck is a very minor ability added in for protection on Loam and for finding non land top decks when Loaming. Its not the main game plan.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by procobrito View Post
    with all new cycling heavily cards, what you guys thinking about new win conditions for lands, instead of Punishing Fire? Lightning Rift or Faith of the Devoted.
    Of course they can be countered and removed, but if they don't get countered, most decks don't have multiple remove enchantment options and after they are in the table, thing like Chalice or Blood Moon can't do nothing. With enought cycling lands, you're not only causing damage, but drawing cards (or dredging). If you drop a Flutuator, this could be a free draw.
    Good call, but unless you play a ton of cycling cards or have multiple ways to discard cards from your hand, why not just Molten Vortex? Easier to use with all the lands in your deck: normal lands, not special cycle cards. I can't find room for more than two cycle cards/ lands atm.

EDIT: ninja'd
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Unanswered tracker can win the game alone:
    1 - it gives you tons of cards and can easily be bigger than opponent's creatures.
    2 - It gives you an engine when your loam get extracted, eaten by drs or if you simply can't find one.
    3 - it helps you keeping jtms and other plainswalkers under control.
    4 - it eats stp or pte that could be aimed to our 20/20.
    5 - gives your opponent a clock and can easily win the race vs a tnn and leovold.
    6 - it usually wins alone under blood moon (thanks to them my win rate vs big red is very high.

Consider that opponents will usually board out removals like push or decay (to some extent) and it will mess up their sideboard plans and even the way they play the game.
    I won many games because the opponent hesitated to kill him for a turn or two.

What does this plan offer you that we need thought? What is the advantage of the change? Right now, you can dredge into both parts of Grove/Fire and then set it up. You do not need anything in hand to get started and that is why, in a deck built on Dredge, the combo endures. What do we gain by removing that and adding something else?

Also Cycling in this deck is a very minor ability added in for protection on Loam and for finding non land top decks when Loaming. Its not the main game plan.
    the big offer is the draw/dredge engine while you can damage creature/players, and after hit the board, is immune to counter or blood moon. But completly weak against removals, or counter/discards in hand.

In that case the deck woudn't need none Grove, maybe Horizon neither and probably even 4 gamble if we can draw faster.

But you're absolut right about dredge, unlike punishing fire, when enchantments hit the graveyard, they are dead. Unlesse we play replenish (dead in graveyard too), or creeping renaissance, that is stupidly expensive, or krosan reclamation/memory's journey, that are inefficient and would take more important slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Good call, but unless you play a ton of cycling cards or have multiple ways to discard cards from your hand, why not just Molten Vortex? Easier to use with all the lands in your deck: normal lands, not special cycle cards. I can't find room for more than two cycle cards/ lands atm.

EDIT: ninja'd
    In fact 1 molten vortex + 1 Lightning Rift would be really nice, discard one land, pay 1R and do 4 damage.

Man, I would like to have a Boseiju for enchantments,

Top of my wishlist is an Academy Ruins for enchantments.

Apr 2011
    The World

In fact 1 molten vortex + 1 Lightning Rift would be really nice, discard one land, pay 1R and do 4 damage.

Still, not worth it, but yeah 4 damage is 4 damage. And what filln says, Enchantment-Academy Ruins would be awesome.

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Still, not worth it, but yeah 4 damage is 4 damage. And what filln says, Enchantment-Academy Ruins would be awesome.
    Yeah, enchantment academ ruins would be perfect.

Maybe a Jund version with Faith of Devotion and Raven's Crime (targeting yourself), 2B for for 4 damage + 4 life
    Entomb instead of gamble

Jan 2017
    Poland

Yeah, enchantment academ ruins would be perfect.

Maybe a Jund version with Faith of Devotion and Raven's Crime (targeting yourself), 2B for for 4 damage + 4 life
    Entomb instead of gamble

Well, theoretically you could connect Skull of Orm with Academy Ruins and then see how things like Solemnity and Elephant Grass would do, but that's the area of some Johhny-testing, to which I will probably sacrifice few couples of hours in the future

Mar 2013

It's too many hoops to jump though. The more pieces you need, the more complex the pile, the more unlikely you will be able to pull off your desired effect in a timely manner.

Apr 2011
    The World

Keep it plain, and simple. A 2-card combo is better than a 3+ -card combo.

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiktul View Post
    Well, theoretically you could connect Skull of Orm with Academy Ruins and then see how things like Solemnity and Elephant Grass would do, but that's the area of some Johhny-testing, to which I will probably sacrifice few couples of hours in the future
    Or past in flames with replenish, but is 8 or 9 mana, this would work only in commander. Lol

Academic ruin for fluctuator and free cycling isn't that bad, are just 2 slots and the deck still works fine without this.

Guys, I am very glad to announce that after many many month of trading I am finally in and got all the cards assambled to join you Lands players.
    Since I am all new to the deck I would like to ask you for a good starting point with the deck. Playing GQ or Ports. I also saw that at the recent GP in LA 2 lists placed into the Top16. (unfortunatly both playing Drop of honey, which I will not buy into at the current price)

Can you tell me about your opinions how it is best to start, which list to try first, the best primer, ....

Mar 2013

First, drop is not a pivotal part of the deck. Do not feel you must buy it.

Quarter v Port is a meta call. If you are going to face more decks with basics, or combo decks with a couple of basics (so they don't get stung too hard by Quarter) go port. If Leovold is the new poster boy for fun where you are, enjoy watching their mana base disappear with Quarter.

If you have both options and you don't know what's better for your meta, play Port. It's safe, it's effective and it's functionally more efficient with Spheres in play. I would suggest going to 3 and running at lest one Quarter though. That card is godly in some games.

The other important thing to think about is your optional slots and meta effect. Things like Bog v Karakas in the main, how often you think you will see Surgical (and thus demanding more cycling lands) and how useful the Blue splash may be for you.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Also brand new to the deck. Been playing Magic since its inception, and have played many different Depths builds, but never a full blown Lands deck. I must say it was very rewarding.

Small 8-man at my local LGS:

Round 1 vs Burn:

Both games pretty much go the same. She gets me down to 2 and I make a 20/20. Being able to respond to Price of Progress by making a token was crucial. Game 2 I Gambled for Zuran Orb and I was able to respond to a lethal Fireblast by making a token and saccing the remaining lands to Orb. Close match - I feel it could've gone either way.

1-0, 2-0

Round 2 vs D&T:

Game 1 I get a turn 1 Exploration and combo kill quickly as he fails to find a StP. Game 2 Prelate on 2 is rough and I can't find an out. Game 3 I get another turn 1 Exploration and get the Loam engine going. Fortunately, he again can't find a StP for my first token.

2-0, 2-1

Round 3 ID to split prize.

Small sample size, but the deck is a blast to play. I definitely need to work on my sideboarding, as I'm often unsure what to sideboard out. Also pissed at myself for not picking up a Drop of Honey at GP Vegas for $90 when I had the chance.

Hi all
    also new to this forum, but playing lands for about a year (actually had my first self-made lands deck back in the urza's legacy days with manlands, croprotation, wrath of god, equinox, the abyss... pyramids :-) )
    Not playing much of tournaments but playing in our little group so far. And having FUN.
    I started with RUG Lands (and loved it) but made the switch to a more RGu build like everyone else. It was hard to cut the Tolaria West :-(
    I have a Sparkii-like deck now with Academy Ruins, EE, but without Molten Vortex and more Ports than GQ (now, a 3/2).
    Love the EE so far and will not cut blue as long as there is no Enchatment-Academy Ruins. (And for the Skull of Orm hack-idea before: Use Crystal Chimes. It's cheaper.)

I always thought, I don't like cards which are dead when I dredge them to the grave; so Enchantments (and also Sorceries/Instants; Intuition, even if I liked it before) will not see much of play in my build. That's one of the reasons I don't play Drop of Honey (even if I have them); Sure, I still have Croprotation, Exploration and Gambles ;-)

Biggest problem is the sideboard. Tracker or Revoker or Wail... Maybe I'll ask again for some help; but for now: Happy to be here :-)

Have a sad story from last night. Was in game 3 of a match and I dredged Loam 3 times and I did not hit a single land lost :(

How do you guys typically sideboard in the mirror? I played the match-up in a recent SCG open, and after dispatching my opponent he rather derisively told me I shouldn't have more than 1 Punishing Fire in my deck post-board (used one to kill an early Tracker). I'm sure it was mainly the frustation of losing/personality, as he was one of those players that openly criticized my lines (which I am reasonably confident were correct): perhaps it was just a pointless dig, but it did get me thinking about board plans a bit more. Obviously the deck has changed a bit with the printing of Tracker, so more removal is something I value and I usually keep 3-4 Fires/Vortex in. It is obviously list-dependent, but is there a canon approach to the mirror? I generally go down to 1 Depths, and Make sure to board in all the Trackers/Grips available, but my plan can be pretty fluid other than that.

Quote Originally Posted by claulis View Post
    Have a sad story from last night. Was in game 3 of a match and I dredged Loam 3 times and I did not hit a single land lost :(
    In this same tournament I had a match against RUG delver. He t1 Delver'd on the play, I wasted him, cast loam the next turn off a Stage/Diamond. He never hit another land, I dredged every turn and didn't hit a Maze, Tabernacle, Depths, Grove, or Barbarian Ring before the Delver killed me :(

Thread Information