Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, you can afford Legacy! 10 sub-$1000 decks to top 8 a 6+ rounder in last 6 months

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Yes, you can afford Legacy! 10 sub-$1000 decks to top 8 a 6+ rounder in last 6 months

Here are 10 archetypes that cost in the hundreds and have top 8'ed a tournament(s) of at least 6 rounds in the last 6 months. I'm not including budget versions of archetypes with shock lands or something; only optimal deck lists.

They span from $159-$971, using TCGPlayer prices. I've used the biggest finish if there have been multiple placings. For simplicity's sake, I'm only including the main deck, unless the sideboard needs comment. Some can be made even cheaper with fetch land switches that have no impact.

Manaless Dredge: $159 (Force of Will in sideboard, but with recent printings, it isn't necessary or maybe even optimal. Would still cost three figures anyway)
    Burn: $175
    Mono Reanimator: $461
    Mono Storm: $529
    Depths Reanimator: $663
    Pox: $682 (Pretty sure the sideboard is just a flex)
    Goblins: $793
    Infect Shoal: $888 (If you replace Misty Rainforest with Flooded Strand, which is the same in the deck)
    Mono Delver: $929
    Death & Taxes: $971

Quite a few archetypes with tournament finishes just missed the cut, like Merfolk, Slivers, Mono Nivmagus, Soldier Stompy, Mono Pteramander, and Spiral Tide

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Yes, you can afford Legacy! 10 sub-$1000 decks to top 8 a 6+ rounder in last 6 mo

I think that you could build a budget version of imperial painter without City of traitors that is still very playable for under 1k. I've not done the math, but I'd be willing to throw up a proposed list at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Re: Yes, you can afford Legacy! 10 sub-$1000 decks to top 8 a 6+ rounder in last 6 mo

Some amazingly cool decks there.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Neat but this doesn't factor in the cost of a plane ticket to find the nearest Legacy event.

I'm only barely joking here. It's a few hour drive for a monthly event with maybe 20 people.

Lol, nothing says "affordable" like 'a thousand bucks.'

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Lol, nothing says "affordable" like 'a thousand bucks.'
    Well a tier 1 modern deck is generally going to be around or just under 1k so it seems like a decent starting point

Also for funzies I threw this list into a cart on TCG and I think it's perfectly viable. Total came out to $650 so honestly you can get a couple of City of traitors probably beat for 160 each and keep it under 1k and improve your deck even more.

Budget Imperial Painter:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    2 Goblin Engineer
    4 Painter's Servant
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Magus of the Moon
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Lotus Petal
    3 Grindstone
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Blood Moon
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Great Furnace
    13 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    1 Faerie Macabre
    3 Lightning Bolt
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Grindstone
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Great Furnace
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

If 650 is so adorable does that mean if I PM you my address you'll cut me a check?

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Crystal Vein is another budget replacement option for City of Traitors to look at, imho.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If 650 is so adorable does that mean if I PM you my address you'll cut me a check?
    I'm not sure what you expect. Everything to be handed to you for free? Hobbies cost money. Don't like it, go find a cheaper hobby. Relatively speaking 650 is cheap for this format. And as the argument has always been you can spend 650 one time and have a deck that will always be legal or you can spend 300 for a standard deck and then spend an extra 150 each set release or so to keep up with standard which quickly surpasses what you would spend on legacy. Also cards not losing value and blah blah blah. If you have nothing to contribute then why are you even posting?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Nice list. Format feels really open right now so I hope more folks will look at this and see that they too can afford to play the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm not sure what you expect. Everything to be handed to you for free? Hobbies cost money. Don't like it, go find a cheaper hobby. Relatively speaking 650 is cheap for this format. And as the argument has always been you can spend 650 one time and have a deck that will always be legal or you can spend 300 for a standard deck and then spend an extra 150 each set release or so to keep up with standard which quickly surpasses what you would spend on legacy. Also cards not losing value and blah blah blah. If you have nothing to contribute then why are you even posting?
    Sir, this is an Arby's drive-through.

Jun 2019
    USA

I just want to point out that this is $12/wk for 1 year. That's fairly affordable compared to say woodworking where you need $1000+ in tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
    I just want to point out that this is $12/wk for 1 year. That's fairly affordable compared to say woodworking where you need $1000+ in tools.
    OK, so just cut me a check for 12 bucks a week for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
    While I broadly support your argument I'd like to point out that woodworking tools and skills allow you to make actual useful things so this probably isn't the best comparison to very expensive card game.

Sir, this is an Arby's drive-through.
    Sir, this is a budget deck thread, not a gibsmedat thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    While I broadly support your argument I'd like to point out that woodworking tools and skills allow you to make actual useful things so this probably isn't the best comparison to very expensive card game.
    If you do woodworking as a hobby, then the fact that useful things come from it is a by-product. Hobbies are non-essential things that people spend money on. a $1000 buy-in for a hobby is not that expensive, comparatively. The big difference is that it is an up-front cost. People whose hobbies are music may drop that much cash over a year on road trips, concerts, and paraphernalia. With Legacy, you can't play until you have a deck, so it seems a bit steeper.

Hobbies like miniature painting, model railroads, golf, etc., are all at least as expensive.

Cheap hobbies would be something like chess, rummy, dominoes, or trick-taking games. Those are enjoyable games, and if you have a good group of friends that like playing them, you can have a lot of fun for a small amount of cash.

Watching tons of Netflix is a relatively low-cost hobby, but it still comes to ~$2 a week plus the cost of the TV.

It really just depends on a person's financial situation and priorities, but most hobbies are going to end up costing a bit of money over time.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I bet you could build a Bayou-less GB Depths deck for under 1k. Obviously 1k isn't exactly "budget", but relatively speaking for this particular card game and this format especially it's pretty reasonable especially if you're coming from modern or even standard where if you are a somewhat established player you may already have that much invested in cardboard.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Thanks for the Imperial Painter list, Megadeus; I hadn't realized that it could be built for so little.

Your point about buying beat-up cards is a good one. The numbers use TCGplayer average prices; you can certainly get the cheapest available and lightly played cards and build the decks for a lot cheaper than the number in the OP.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Here is the Cheap Depths list:

I think you can easily remove:
    Mana Confluence x2 -> Blooming marsh
    IoK x2 -> Duress
    Sphere in the Side could be removed
    to reduce the cost, also Lotus Petal and ESG are relatively cheap at the moment.

@scott:

Maybe we should have a Primer for cheap decks.
    Also in your goblins deck you can easily remove Cavern of Souls for Mountains. It will probably not have a big impact on your game and it saves 300$.

Thread Information