Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeves both inner and outer

Re: Sleeves both inner and outer

Does anyone have any opinion on what the tightest fitting perfect fit sleeves are? My setup used to be KMC Hyper Mattes with KMC Perfect Fits until the hyper mattes went to shit. Now I'm on Dragon Shield mattes (love the Mint color especially). The problem is I've found it extremely difficult to get the perfect fit sleeved cards into the dragon shields. There seems to be a lot of love for perfect hard fits, would they solve this problem?
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    Does anyone have any opinion on what the tightest fitting perfect fit sleeves are? My setup used to be KMC Hyper Mattes with KMC Perfect Fits until the hyper mattes went to shit. Now I'm on Dragon Shield mattes (love the Mint color especially). The problem is I've found it extremely difficult to get the perfect fit sleeved cards into the dragon shields. There seems to be a lot of love for perfect hard fits, would they solve this problem?
    I have heard that sometimes the Ultra Pro perfect fits are a bit tighter (some even claim they warp the cards), but have never actually seen them be in actual practice.

I don't know if there is some subtle variation in the sizes of the DS colors, but I have never had an issue with KMC perfects fitting into Original DS or DS Mattes.

I had a friend tell me something similar about Dragon Shields, but when I tried his cards and sleeves, I had no issue double sleeving them. I guess there is some sort of technique to it, although I am unsure what it is that I am doing differently. I do know that if you are pushing the perfect fitted card down from the top into the outer sleeve, you are probably going to have a hard time, regardless of what combination of sleeves you are using (in my limited experience).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

KMC perfect fits + Ultra Pro eclipse is by far the best package I've ever tried.
    Easy to install, durable, good shuffling.

KMC Perfect Fit Hards + Dragon Shield Mattes are my go-to.

Eclipse sleeves are good, but get dirty fast and are not good with foils with the matte front.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkii View Post

Eclipse sleeves are good, but get dirty fast and are not good with foils with the matte front.
    you are right about the matte front.
    If Dragon Shield mattes are good, I'll try.
    Is any difference between these

these

and these?

they all say "matte", but the different layout makes me think there are some differences (maybe just release time).

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

I put all my cards in the same color of Dragonshield Mattes, and even with boxes having different artwork the sleeves have been the same.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    I use KMC Perfect Fits with Dragonshield mattes, and for brand new Dragonshield sleeves I find I need to open the sleeve and push the card inside with my finger on the side of the card, rather than pushing at the top of the card which often causes the card to come out of the Perfect Fit. This is less necessary as the sleeves get used and "broken in," so to speak.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    you are right about the matte front.
    If Dragon Shield mattes are good, I'll try.

they all say "matte", but the different layout makes me think there are some differences (maybe just release time).
    Yeah, they are good.

The different boxes are just a layout change they did earlier this year. But one of those images is for the Japanese size sleeves, which are not what you want. You want the ones that say Standard size.

Yesterday I asked a friend to test one of his dragonshield matte sleeve with my kmc perfect fits hard.
    It was IMPOSSIBLE to put the card into the dragonshield (it was a foil one ok......). I hope he was wrong about the brand of his sleeves.......resleeving my deck could be very dangerous in those conditions

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    Yesterday I asked a friend to test one of his dragonshield matte sleeve with my kmc perfect fits hard.
    It was IMPOSSIBLE to put the card into the dragonshield (it was a foil one ok......). I hope he was wrong about the brand of his sleeves.......resleeving my deck could be very dangerous in those conditions
    I put my thumb on the clear outside face of the Dragon Shield and my finger into the sleeve with the card and slide it that way, like rubbing my fingers together with a perfect-fitted card in between.

EDIT: This may be wildly off topic, but what are the absolute ugliest Dragon Shields anyone's seen? I'm trying to sleeve my godawful Commander shitpile deck in the ugliest sleeves I can find, but I like the quality of Dragon Shields.

I felt too much friction with dragon shield inserting the card, I don't like this. I think it can bend or damage the card keeping it in a such tiny space. Or damage the inner sleeve.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    I'm trying to sleeve my godawful Commander shitpile deck in the ugliest sleeves I can find, but I like the quality of Dragon Shields.
    Just get white ones, they'll look like crap after a few times, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    EDIT: This may be wildly off topic, but what are the absolute ugliest Dragon Shields anyone's seen? I'm trying to sleeve my godawful Commander shitpile deck in the ugliest sleeves I can find, but I like the quality of Dragon Shields.
    I've found the yellow ones to be particularly hideous. I'm not really a fan of the color yellow in general, and these are very bright - they stick out like a sore thumb from a table.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Sep 2015
    Shit-hole LA

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkii View Post

what deck box do you use to fit 75 in kmc perfect hard and dragon shields?

also how is the shuffle with both sleeves together it must be like a edh deck.....

Sep 2010
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jo4source View Post
    what deck box do you use to fit 75 in kmc perfect hard and dragon shields?

also how is the shuffle with both sleeves together it must be like a edh deck.....
    It’s almost exactly like an EDH deck. I’ve been using Ultimate Guard boulder deck boxes 100 size to store because it tends to be too big for the 80 size with that sleeve configuration. There’s usually some room for a few extra cards but some tokens usually fills that up perfectly.

I realize this is a pretty big Necro, but how have the KMC perfect fit HARDS been holding up for everyone? Any issue with bending cards over time? How are they with foils?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    I realize this is a pretty big Necro, but how have the KMC perfect fit HARDS been holding up for everyone? Any issue with bending cards over time? How are they with foils?
    My 1 Foil deck is in KMC perfect hards and Dragon Shield matte outers, I think this is a good combo
    They keep the cards in a relatively un-bent state (much moreso than normal KMC perfect fits)
    Before this the deck was in KMC perfect hard + KMC hyper matte, but I had a problem with the hyper matte sleeves breaking
    Either the tolerance between the size of KMC hyper matte and KMC perfect hard is slightly lower than Dragon Shield and KMC perfect hard, or maybe the DS sleeves are just more durable generally.
    I know a lot of other people reported problems with KMC hyper matte (especially some batches) but I never had an issue until I started using them with KMC perfect hard

Another tip for keeping your foil decks flat (even sleeved ones) is to store them in a tight-ish box with every 2nd card facing backwards.
    It's much more easy for cards to bend over time when they are stacked like this: )))))))) rather than like this: ()()()()()()()

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    My 1 Foil deck is in KMC perfect hards and Dragon Shield matte outers, I think this is a good combo
    They keep the cards in a relatively un-bent state (much moreso than normal KMC perfect fits)
    Before this the deck was in KMC perfect hard + KMC hyper matte, but I had a problem with the hyper matte sleeves breaking
    Either the tolerance between the size of KMC hyper matte and KMC perfect hard is slightly lower than Dragon Shield and KMC perfect hard, or maybe the DS sleeves are just more durable generally.
    I know a lot of other people reported problems with KMC hyper matte (especially some batches) but I never had an issue until I started using them with KMC perfect hard

Another tip for keeping your foil decks flat (even sleeved ones) is to store them in a tight-ish box with every 2nd card facing backwards.
    It's much more easy for cards to bend over time when they are stacked like this: )))))))) rather than like this: ()()()()()()()
    Thanks for the info. Is dealing with the air pockets that you get from double sleeving pretty much the same with these? Just press it out as best you can then play with them and they eventually flatten out? I keep my deck cards inner sleeved in a binder for easy swap outs on the fly, and the perfect fit hards i am testing out seem to be more "airy" at first.

Basically see the picture. Do they require more work to flatten out to not bend them or did I get a bad batch maybe? Top 3 are side loaders and the rest are in fresh perfect hards. I sat some overnight under books (yellow/blue sleeved pic) but that hasn't been necessary in sleeves past. Outer sleeves are dragon shield matte if it matters.
    Last edited by ronco; 09-12-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Smokey Perfect Fits and Ultimate Guard Katanas.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Smokey Perfect Fits and Ultimate Guard Katanas.
    THis is my combo too, and I'm pretty sure it's the ultimate setup, especially if you play with foils.

Thread Information