Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Earthcraft decklist challenge

[SCD] Earthcraft decklist challenge

Let’s face it Survival isn’t going to be unbanned anytime soon, before Earthcraft, Hermit Druid or Mind Twist. Why? Because Survival is a perma-tutor, single-card engine. In a non-combo, aggro shell the card is fair, but why play a fair Survival.dec in the first place?

Moving on.. can’t wait. It’s Christmas every time a card falls off the Legacy B&R and Earthcraft is on my wish list.

4 Earthcraft
    4 Squirrel Nest
    1 Academy Rector
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Land Grant

3 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Tree of Tales
    3 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Looking like a glass cannon and definitely needs brainstorming but it’s a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Unban Survival of the Fittest Activist
    Oct 2016
    Netherlands

Re: [SCD] Earthcraft decklist challenge

Concordant crossroads ?

I mean making infinite tokens is cool, but it should let you win on the spot rather then giving your opponent another turn to whipe the board. (At least thats how I see it)

Whats the idea behind the Land Grants? I only see that card when facing Belcher, which makes sense in that deck due to. .well belcher ;). I fail to see what it contributes here so please enlighten me with your logic.

If you are splashing white, then maybe Humility is a decent card to add? All your tokens are 1/1 without abilities anyway, it would also level the board as ''everything turns into a squirrel''. Humility is pretty bonkers with the current metagame anyway. (Use it myself in Enchantress and Deadguy)

I have a extemely casual squirrel deck myself that also runs essence warden. (arbor elf, utopia sprawls, 2 wirewood symbiote with the Druid lord that ETB's 4 squirrels [also really nice to rebounce him to your hand in upkeep so you don't have to pay echo but instead replay him for another 4 squirrels) I like Essence warden allot, the additional lifegain buys you time in general. Its also tutorable through your GSZ.

Last suggestion, which will be remarked by another if I don't do it, whats the reasoning with BOB over DRS? You are including Bayou, so you are in the right colours for him. You also run fetches yourself so I rather jump on the DRS hypetrain to make use of them rather then ''feeding your fetches'' to your opponent.
    Decks I own: 2x DnTx [B,G,R], Deadguy Ale, Maverick, Elves, Enchantress [WG/GU], Goblins, (Shardless) BUG, Food Chain, Aluren, High tide (reset/spiral), UR delver, RUG delver, Grixis Delver, Reanimator, Lands, Dark Depths (turbo / selesnya / hoogaak)

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. A.E. (1879 - 1955)

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    Let’s face it Survival isn’t going to be unbanned anytime soon, before Earthcraft, Hermit Druid or Mind Twist. Why? Because Survival is a perma-tutor, single-card engine. In a non-combo, aggro shell the card is fair, but why play a fair Survival.dec in the first place?

Moving on.. can’t wait. It’s Christmas every time a card falls off the Legacy B&R and Earthcraft is on my wish list.

4 Earthcraft
    4 Squirrel Nest
    1 Academy Rector
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Land Grant

3 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Tree of Tales
    3 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Looking like a glass cannon and definitely needs brainstorming but it’s a start.

I like this challenge.
    My first thought that popped into my head was Goblin Bombardment to abuse all the mini cannon-fodder-critters. As a result I was like "What's in red and loves forests....Orchish lumberjack!"
    Not sure how much the two plans "Have lands, cut down lands" would go together but hey, all is fun in trying to make straight GRw work!

Listy:

1 Dryad Arbor
    5 Forest
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    3 Taiga
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Concordant Crossroads
    4 Earthcraft
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Goblin Bombardment
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    4 Squirrel Nest
    2 Sterling Grove
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Vexing Shusher
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Thank you for the feedback. The slot for Land Grant is debatable, I figured might as well throw it in there since it's a free spell that guarantees a basic Forest without hurting our life totals. We can actually cut lands from the deck, but the drawback would be the possibility of losing to an opposing Therapy after a reveal. I think we can cut ESG for Utopia Sprawl since they essentially net 1 mana with the latter having the option of going for B or W each turn.

Having ways to win on the spot that are tutorable via ET like Concordant Crossroads and Goblin Bombardment is great. However these cards don't carry their weight pre-combo. For this reason I think Humility is better as it will buy enough time to assemble. Same with Essence Warden, the pseudo-win via infinite life route makes me hard! Of course Plan A is to clear the path with discard before going off, the Warden acts as safeguard against a topdeck Decay (or sweeper). DRS is an upgrade as it will definitely shore up matches against GY strategies:

4 Earthcraft
    4 Squirrel Nest
    2 Utopia Sprawl
    1 Humility
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Academy Rector
    1 Essence Warden
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Land Grant

3 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Tree of Tales
    3 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Quote Originally Posted by Doishy View Post
    I like this challenge.
    My first thought that popped into my head was Goblin Bombardment to abuse all the mini cannon-fodder-critters. As a result I was like "What's in red and loves forests....Orchish lumberjack!"
    Not sure how much the two plans "Have lands, cut down lands" would go together but hey, all is fun in trying to make straight GRw work!

Listy:

1 Dryad Arbor
    5 Forest
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Plains
    2 Savannah
    3 Taiga
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Concordant Crossroads
    4 Earthcraft
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Goblin Bombardment
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    4 Squirrel Nest
    2 Sterling Grove
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Vexing Shusher

This G/R brew looks like it's going to give decks with greedy manabases a hard time. With BoP or DRS in place of ESG you can actually cut a Savannah or Plains since you only have 3 cards that are white. Also, 3 Sterling Grove and 2 Sylvan Library since the former protects your combo and is essentially a tutor for your missing combo piece.

Aug 2016
    Flanders

I'd just run classic GW(x) enchantress (Replenish, not Rip Helm), with 2 (max 3) Earthcrafts in it, definitely a Dryad Arbor, and mebi Sacred Mesa as a wincon. Also goes infinite with Earthcraft + Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl, and still does something without Earthcraft (like with Serra's Sanctum). + they have flying. Doesn't need haste in this deck.
    Humility could also possibly be in this maindeck.

Unimaginative? Maybe

Classic Enchantress is classic solitaire. I've been waiting for that comment tbh. This thread is meant for a more explosive, cooler deck.

May 2015
    PDX

1x Earthcraft
    1x EE

2x E. Tutor
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Ponder
    4x Brainstorm
    4x FoW
    3x Preordain

3x Monastery Mentor
    4x DRS
    4x Strix
    3x SCM

3x Usea
    2x Tundra
    2x Tropical Island
    2x Island
    1x Swamp
    9x Fetch

SB:
    3x StP
    1x RiP
    2x Flusterstorm
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Hydroblast
    1x Invasive Surgery
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x EE
    1x JTMS
    1x Leovold

Take an arbitrarily long turn, making an arbitrarily large army that all has prowess.

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

This G/R brew looks like it's going to give decks with greedy manabases a hard time. With BoP or DRS in place of ESG you can actually cut a Savannah or Plains since you only have 3 cards that are white. Also, 3 Sterling Grove and 2 Sylvan Library since the former protects your combo and is essentially a tutor for your missing combo piece.
    The idea behind ESG was the potential for hands such as T1 ESG -> Crossroads. Taiga - Lumberjack, sac Taiga -> Bloodmoon. Unlikely but possible.
    I wanted to try and keep it two colour to maximise Lumberman however the protection/tutor ability of Grove just seemed too nice to pass on.
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    1x Earthcraft
    1x EE

2x E. Tutor
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Ponder
    4x Brainstorm
    4x FoW
    3x Preordain

3x Monastery Mentor
    4x DRS
    4x Strix
    3x SCM

3x Usea
    2x Tundra
    2x Tropical Island
    2x Island
    1x Swamp
    9x Fetch

SB:
    3x StP
    1x RiP
    2x Flusterstorm
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Hydroblast
    1x Invasive Surgery
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x EE
    1x JTMS
    1x Leovold

Take an arbitrarily long turn, making an arbitrarily large army that all has prowess.
    I must be totally missing something here...what's the repeatable spell that is triggering Monk token generation? Or do you just mean that as long as you continue to chain cantrip into cantrip you get to keep making Monks until you brick?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by civet five View Post
    I must be totally missing something here...what's the repeatable spell that is triggering Monk token generation? Or do you just mean that as long as you continue to chain cantrip into cantrip you get to keep making Monks until you brick?
    Chain cantrips profitably in an Earthcraft shell that uses good legacy cards. Technically you could do this same thing with red for Pyro and Pyro Ascension, but that's quite a bit more all-in on do nothing enchantments. Trade win %age from removal main for sideboard E. Tutor "you can't win" targets. The best way to win with Earthcraft is running as few copies as possible, which means E. Tutor.

IMO the deck should start with:

4x Earthcraft
    4x Squirrels Nest
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Utopia Sprawl/Wild Growth

Turn 2 Blood Moon beats a lot of decks or gets you enough time to set you combo off.

Going turbo tutor seems lackluster. Turbo does that much faster while casting a billion discard spells.

I tryed but tbh it doesnt look that great:

// 45 Maindeck
    // 12 Creature
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Essence Warden
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Reclamation Sage

// 24 Enchantment
    3 Earthcraft
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Sacred Mesa
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Lignify
    4 Squirrel Nest

// 4 Instant
    4 Enlightened Tutor

// 1 Land
    1 Serra's Sanctum

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

15 probably horrible manabase
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I basically agree with Fjaulnir that you just use Earthcraft as another accelerator in Enchantress along with 1x Sacred Mesa (or similar card) to combo off.
    Playing a dedicated 4x Earthcraft 4x Squirrel Nest combodeck doesn't make much sense imo (doesn't win faster than SNT, less consistent).

The important question is what the other color(s) should be, other than green. I think the answer is still probably white just because of Enlightened Tutor/Sterling Grove.

I think HdH_Cthulhu above has the right idea but I don't think 4 Moon and 4 Squirrel Nest are necessary alongside 4x Enlightened Tutor.
    I started writing a list and then realised I had no idea what GW Enchantress is supposed to look like so I just went into the thread and copied a list that looked okay while cutting the RIP/Helm slots for the Earthcraft package

4 Argothian Enchantress
    1 [[SECRET TECH]]
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Doomwake Giant
    1 Essence Warden / Eternal Witness / Rec Sage / 60th card

4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    3 Earthcraft
    1 Squirrel Nest
    1 Sacred Mesa
    4 Enchantresses Presence
    1 Overgrowth/Fertile Ground
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Solitary Confinement
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Sterling Grove
    3 Elephant Grass
    1 Blood Moon / B2B (Maybe Doomwake AND this is too many colors)

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Enlightened Tutor

19 Lands (the usual basics/duals/fetch/sanctum mix)

I wanted to try a version with more of a Blue or Black focus to help the combo matchup but Grove/Tutor seem good and Mesa makes too much sense alongside Earthcraft and Serra's Sanctum.
    Squirrel Nest / Contamination is also a combo but I think trying to make that work is a worse combo than just splashing for B2B or Moon.

Can you guess the secret tech creature? It's the hearthstone deck you always wanted to play, Jade Mage. This is a huge reason to put Earthcraft in the Enchantress shell imo. Being able to GSZ for half of the combo (assuming you have a land with 2 Enchantments on it) seems like a very strong option to have.

I think the Enchantress shell is the way to go which is equivalent to: no need at all for Earthcraft to be banned. However, this thread seems to be about creativity. Here is my Spanish-Inquisition-take on Earthcraft:

4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Bayou
    2 Swamp

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Earthcraft

4 Shield Sphere
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    2 Ornithopter

4 Infernal Tutor
    3 Diabolic Intent
    3 Ad Nauseam

3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize

2 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Squirrel Nest
    1 Concordant Crossroads

No idea if this is any good, I haven't goldfished. However, synergies seem to be in the right places: Earthcraft works fine with the artifact creatures, D4s have been cut in favor of Ad Nauseam (which will draw your deck). Maybe, one loop is needed via mini Tendrils if you run out of live midcombo, before Crossroads and Squirrels are found.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Classic Enchantress is classic solitaire. I've been waiting for that comment tbh. This thread is meant for a more explosive, cooler deck.
    (lifts finger up about to say something... walks away depressed towards a corner)
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

We must go jankier

4 ancient tomb
    8 fetch
    3 island
    1 tropical island

10 tallmen
    3 chrome mox
    3 mox opal
    4 lotus petal

4 force of will
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    3 merchant scroll

4 earthcraft
    4 paradoxical outcome
    1 brain freeze

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    1 [[SECRET TECH]]
    Ant queen cost more but has a better ability. hmmm
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Ant queen cost more but has a better ability. hmmm
    Yeah. If you are GSZ for 5 then most likely you have a land with at least 2 Enchantments on it, but in the case that you only have a land with 1 enchantment on it and are ramping into GSZ with Serra's Sanctum then Ant Queen is better. I just assumed the first situation would be more likely.

Besides classic GW Enchatress as some have suggested, I think that Earthcraft can be better at home in a UG Enchantress deck. I would start with something like:

Lands (18):
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Savannah
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Dryad Arbor
    7 Forest
    2 Island

Creatures (10):
    4 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms

Spells (32):
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Seal of Removal
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    2 Words of Wind
    3 Earthcraft
    2 Squirrel Nest
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn (?)

Besides the obvious win condition, Earthcraft also helps the other combo part of the deck with Cloud of Faeries (and Argothian Enchantress) now generating even more mana when they come down. Both the extra consistency and extra combo finish make it much more competitive than it currently is, imo.

The white and black splash are mostly for SB cards (Leylines, RiP, Doomwake, Teeg, Engineered Plage, Cast Out, Enlightened Tutor, etc), but I'm not so sure about that.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Been down this road lots of times. Old School:

4 Argothian Enchantress
    3 Eidolon of Blossoms
    4 Llanowar Elves
    3 Quirion Ranger
    4 Instill Energy
    4 Earthcraft
    4 Worldly Tutor
    3 Rancor
    1 Whip silk
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Exploration
    1 Ancestral Mask
    1 Concordant Crossroads
    lands and stuff

Unfortunately, Instill Energy is not as good as it was due to the *many wording changes it has got over the years. It no longer actually has haste, so no more shenanigans with hasted Llanowar-Quirion-Instill many chains. But with 4 Earthcraft, I'm not even sure that matters much. I only ever had one in type 1. The deck definitely needs Gatherer of Graces for Rancor-Enchantress awesomeness. That way you can cut the Whip silk. And of course Utopia Sprawl.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information