Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Spoilers taken from Reddit

Sagas are back. Full land basics are also there, which look "interesting".

Treacherous Blessing seems pretty decent - draw three for isn't too shabby if you have a way to get rid of it.

Elspeth is also back, although the card is kinda meh. It previews the Escape mechanics where you can recast the card from the GY for its Escape cost.

Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

The Elspeth is from the PW deck as it's 255 of a 254 card set so presumably there will be a playable Elspeth in the main set.

bruizar

labyrinth will make standard an even worse planeswalker format

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    labyrinth will make standard an even worse planeswalker format
    Don't worry, they'll add a bunch of hexproof and it'll be a non factor

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Full land basics are also there, which look "interesting".
    I don't even know what to think, I like them and hate them at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    The Elspeth is from the PW deck as it's 255 of a 254 card set so presumably there will be a playable Elspeth in the main set.
    Not any more, the numbering scheme has changed. This will be "pack" Elspeth, since there isn't extended art Planeswalkers in the "starter" decks.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I feel the same - the art is good, but they look like energy cards for Pokemon (or resource cards of other card games) instead of actual lands.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I feel the same - the art is good, but they look like energy cards for Pokemon (or resource cards of other card games) instead of actual lands.
    Yeah, I like the art, in-itself, as art. I don't much like them as "Lands" since, like you say, they aren't lands. I actually like them thematically, in the Underworld, or whatever, there isn't actual "land" and yet I still hate them, because they are supposed to be Lands.

Not any more, the numbering scheme has changed. This will be "pack" Elspeth, since there isn't extended art Planeswalkers in the "starter" decks.
    Oh ok... any info on the new numbering? I wasn't aware of this.

Spoilers taken from Reddit

Treacherous Blessing seems pretty decent - draw three for isn't too shabby if you have a way to get rid of it.
    #notLegacy but Vraska, golgari queen easily disposes of it in standard and draws you a card from it to boot.

I'm excited about the sagas, and about the "lands" even though I agree with H on this. I like the art, but they don't feel like lands. Maybe I'll like them when i see them in my hand/on the board and change my mind.

Underworld dreams got a reprint at uncommon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

I'm still trying to figure out why Elspeth's -3 is by far the worst and most useless ability. Literally all I can think of is trolling by the devs.

I will definitely not be playing with those lands, but I'm not mad at WotC for experimenting. To quote a great elevator operator: "Look, it's 100 floors of frights! They're not all gonna be hits!"

I think there is a good chance one of the better decks of Frontier is going to be BWx Doom Foretold/Starfield of Nyx. The black "draw 3" enchantment is pretty much exactly what that deck was looking for, and a bunch of good new sagas certainly won't hurt either.

I mean,

4x Trial of Ambition
    4x Treacherous Blessing
    4x Oath of Kaya
    4x Doom Foretold
    4x Starfield of Nyx

Is 20 cards that really don't suck. Throw in some mass removal, some lifegain, and a 'walker or three, some targeted discard, plus maybe a little more card draw, and you've got a pretty solid deck with very strong sideboard options.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Oh ok... any info on the new numbering? I wasn't aware of this.
    I don't know of anything said officially, but here is the list: over at MTGNexus.

As you can see, the Borderless Planeswalkers come right after the "regular" set numbered cards. But since this new set won't have "Storybook" cards, or "Brawl" cards, we don't really know the exact number scheme when it will come to the Planewalker starter deck things, per se.

But since we already know that the set has "254" cards, as per Wizards, this Elspeth being 255 means it is likely the "Borderless Planewalker" version.

Mar 2007

Blessing is also pretty interesting with Estrid's Invocation - draw three in each of your upkeeps for free? Yes, please. You only need a way to get around the excessive life loss.

Hoping that the Escape mechanic gives Lands something good as we can Dredge into cards and play them out.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

You only need a way to get around the excessive life loss.
    Do you think it is that excessive? Isn't the life loss comparable to Dark Confidant or Phyrexian Arena in an average game?

Blessing is also pretty interesting with Estrid's Invocation - draw three in each of your upkeeps for free? Yes, please. You only need a way to get around the excessive life loss.
    It self sacrifices upon targeting so I don't think it would work that way. You could copy it once but that is it. Right?
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    It self sacrifices upon targeting so I don't think it would work that way. You could copy it once but that is it. Right?
    Invocation, like most copy effects, does not target.

in case you lose the original one, can you self target it?

Invocation, like most copy effects, does not target.
    Duh, RTFC. I just assumed it did. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    Hoping that the Escape mechanic gives Lands something good as we can Dredge into cards and play them out.
    I'm thinking that all the escapes will be too safely costed, much like Embalm and Eternalize were. Like they'll all have exile 4 cards or some other high number so unless there's some super broken card they'll all only be able to cast them once.

You could actually get a few of them for those decks that like to float or filter mana. Like how on-camera streams have those tokens with the die on them. Too bad there's no wastes for KCI.

Thread Information