Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] TES (The EPIC Storm)

Re: [Deck] TES - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by odabella View Post
    53! You can look at is-magic.de. Have to go at 'Turniere'/Standings and you will see each decktype of them.

Is that just a reposting of the event that got TES moved into Open, or is it *another* german event that TES won?
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    It's a size thing. Europe has 300 million people, but only takes like 20 minutes to drive across the entire continent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgareth View Post
    That's the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
    Europe is Huge, no wonder people question Americans Geography skills

Nov 2006
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by sammiel View Post
    Is that just a reposting of the event that got TES moved into Open, or is it *another* german event that TES won?
    No it's still the same event that i have won at 07.01. with T.E.S. .

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Can you give us a report? I mean, it would mean a lot to me.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Nov 2006
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621 View Post
    Can you give us a report? I mean, it would mean a lot to me.
    When you understand my horrible english. ;)

At the moment I writing a Deckreview/Report about T.E.S. for a german site. After that I will try to translate it in English for this forum...so I think on monday,maybe tuesday I will post it.

May 2005
    Thursday...

That's great! Thank you, as I really look forward to this.

Bryant Cook

Alright, the alarm is blaring it’s 5:45 and time to go to work; I do the whole hygiene thing and take a shower (many Magic players don’t for some reason). Get in the car and go to work; as I walk into Wendy’s, yes Wendy’s my manager starts complaining that I didn’t shave (Oh fucking well it’s 6:10, Sunday and I work in fast food) like I care. She threatens to make me dry shave with a razor (The razors there are dull and would probably tear my cheek off.) I call my dad and have him bring me my electric razor (I’m a senior in high school, work in fast food, don’t have a girl friend at the moment and don’t own a car) like I care about people seeing me with a 6: 10 Am shadow. Tired I stumble to the register punch in and start working. It’s going alright, besides dealing with my manager’s bitchiness because she didn’t get laid the night before. She yells at me for not washing the chili pans at this point I’m angry because I’m sick of her shit, I keep my mouth shut. I go on break at 9:30 and make some food (When you open you’re supposed to get free food as the only benefit) the wench made me pay. I’m really angry now, I punch back in at 10 and we’re open now and she puts me on grill. I hate actually loathe running the grill, and all my managers know it I say I don’t want to run it. Her response was, “I don’t care”. She tells me to go filter the fryers I’m 17 technically it’s illegal for me to be doing it, and I don’t want to it’s a lot of work for nothing. I do it keeping my mouth shut then go back to the grill where my manager starts bitching I’m doing it wrong and grabs the spatula out of my arm and goes this is how you press meat (I’ve worked there for 8 months and know how to do everything) at this point I’m furious and say “Ya know what, screw it.” Then proceeded to walk out and call my dad for a ride. Its 12:00, I’m thinking HEY! Maybe I can still make 1.5 at states (my local store). Called my teammate he says I’m late they just paired; however, if I show up in the next hour I can have the **bye**. I go home take another shower to remove the smell of French fries because it makes me sick, and head of to howwemoveourstore AKA How to how the game, read the story formerly Altered States.
    I get in 10 minutes before the round is over and trade for a set of 4th edition Korean Dark Rituals, slide them into my deck and we’re good to go!

// Lands
    4 [AN] City of Brass
    4 [WL] Gemstone Mine
    1 [OD] Cabal Pit
    1 [CHK] Forbidden Orchard
    1 [SOK] Tomb of Urami

// Creatures
    4 [SC] Xantid Swarm

// Spells
    4 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 [TE] Lotus Petal
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox
    1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
    4 [JU] Burning Wish
    2 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
    4 [B] Dark Ritual
    4 [TO] Cabal Ritual
    4 [DIS] Infernal Tutor
    4 [FD] Plunge into Darkness
    1 [AL] Diminishing Returns
    4 [CS] Rite of Flame
    1 [TSP] Empty the Warrens
    4 [MM] Brainstorm

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB: 1 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 [AL] Diminishing Returns
    SB: 2 [TSP] Empty the Warrens
    SB: 3 [GP] Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 [MM] Tranquility
    SB: 1 [US] Duress
    SB: 1 [P2] Earthquake
    SB: 4 [RAV] Dark Confidant

Round 1: The chair

Round 2: Tariq White (BHWC Landstill)
    Tariq wins the die roll and we’re good to go.
    Game 1: I keep a turn 2 win hand with Xantid for protection. Xantid, Gemstone, Infernal, Petal, Dark Ritual, Lion’s Eye Diamond, Brainstorm.
    Tariq plays Turn 1 Underground Sea, passes turn.
    I draw Cabal Ritual Turn 1 Gemstone Mine, Xantid Swarm; he brainstorms it resolves.
    He plays Tropical Island, passes turn.
    I Draw another Petal, proceed to attack. 2nd Main phase Brainstorm into irrelevant garbage, then win with IGG.
    Sideboarding
    -3 Cabal Ritual
    -2 Plunge into Darkness
    +4 Dark Confidant
    +1 Empty the Warrens
    Game 2: I don’t miss a land drop until turn 5, and I burning Wish for Duress; Duress him, he’s holding 3 Stifles, 2 Swords, Standstill and Disenchant. I play bunch of Rituals, then LED and cast Infernal Tutor for Diminishing Returns as a last hope. Trying to combo out still He forces something and I eventually cast Tendrils he stifles and wins.
    Game 3: I play turn 1 Bug (Xantid), He counteracts with swords on his turn. I play Dark Confidant and Xantid in the next few turns and start beating. He plays a factory we’re both at 8 I flip Tendrils, YES! I play another Bob and pass the turn (I didn’t have enough ritual effects). He end steps Fact or Fictions flipping Force, Cspell, Crucible, Wing Shards, and factory, I split the piles force+ Cspell – He takes the pile with all, plays factory passes, I flip Lotus Petal and Dark Ritual(At this point everyone is watching) This is very late game I swing out he stifles Xantid and Wing Shards my team. (I had to force the combo in order to win) I cast 4 Rite of Flame, Chrome Mox(No Imprint), LED, and I’m holding Burning Wish, Lotus Petal, Infernal, and Tendrils. I bait with Infernal he forces it; I play Petal and Burning Wish Popping LED for BBB. I think for a while on what I want to do because I have Duress in the yard because I wished for it early on. I realize there’s no way I can win off of Ill-Gotten Gains so I say, “No balls, no glory; Tendrils for lethal” Tariq sits there and stares at his 2 card hand for 3 minutes then taps his Tundra then proceeds to pick up his mana base.
    2-0 Matches
    2-1 Games

Round 3: Nick Patnode (UWB Fish)
    I lose the die roll
    Game1: He plays Island, go.
    I play City of Brass, Xantid, go.
    He plays Island, go.
    I play swing, kill you. Sorry for not much detail but I don’t remember much about this game other than his whining. As I cast Tendrils he attempts to stifle it then I remind him of Xantid Swarm.
    I sideboard the same as I did the round before.
    Game 2: My opening hand is 2x Chrome Mox, 2x Led, Infernal, Cabal Ritual, and Burning Wish. His duress nails a Mox. I draw a lotus petal and play Chrome Mox (removing: Burning Wish), Petal, LED,LED, Cabal Ritual, Infernal Tutor in response cracking both LED’s. He says it resolves, I go get and cast Ill-Gotten Gains. He says it resolves. I return 2x LED and Tutor, he returns Duress, Dark Confidant, and swords. I play my hand and win, he starts ranting about bad luck and his misplay with Duress.
    3-0 Matches
    4-1 Games

Round 4: Geoff Smelski (UGR Threshold) ( My old list)

Game 1: It’s very climatic, I cast Burning Wish for ETW on turn 2 he’s swinging and burning me to death I’m at 8. I cast ETW for 16 men, pass the turn leaving me with 3 land, LED, Petal in play and a Tendrils in hand. He has 2 threshed Bears and a goose, he passes the turn. I draw Bstorm, cast it into another Bstorm, Dark Ritual and Plunge into Darkness. I get Bstorm cast it again, this time revealing a Lion’s Eye Diamond I get Dark Ritual and cast Tendrils for 8. I go to 15, he goes to 11. I swing balls out and I say,” Fire/Ice being a Life short?” As I call it he casts it, and scoops it up. While doing this he complains about not having pyroclasm and not being able to get them before the event.
    Sideboarding
    -2 Cabal Ritual
    +2 Empty the Warrens

Game 2: I keep a shaky hand because it has Tendrils in it, 2 land, 2 mox, Bstorm, Tendrils of Agony and Plunge. Luckily, I Bstorm into LED, Dark Ritual, and Bstorm. I put both Moxen back and draw one play land pass, he plays a bear and passes. I plunge hitting another Plunge(NOTHING IN 5 CARDS WORTH WHILE!), I draw another Dark Ritual. I decide I’m going to do this SX style, I cast both rituals and LED then cast plunge he lets it resolve I get another Bstorm. Bstorm into another Plunge, Dark Ritual and X ( I forgot) I continue and I get to storm 7, and cast the other Bstorm he forces it! YES! My plan worked! 1 card in hand and I windmill Tendrils for 10! TES undefeated! Woopt. Geoff Shakes my hand and we both say good match. He compliments the deck on its resiliency and leaves.
    4-0
    6-1 games

All in all, not a bad day for Legacy horrible day for working… with bad luck comes good luck? Thanks for reading this awful report!

(Not Banksy)
    Oct 2006
    Now.

Good Job on the 6-1 game record.
    I guessed you earned that record for the horrible day at work.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Meh, don't worry too much about the job. You'll be able to get other jobs just like it, with bosses just like that one. Or, perhaps you'll find a better job, which is always nice.

How'd you like the confidents? Do you think that they won any games where the tutoring effects or caball rituals didn't?
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

(Not Banksy)
    Oct 2006
    Now.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    “Ya know what, screw it.”
    I just played someone on MWS and they said that very same thing.

Also, When you wished for the duress, Would you rather get a Cabal Therapy, instead?

May 2005
    Thursday...

Dude, nice report. I'm glad you went undefeated against decks that are so hard to play against, like Fish and Threshold. Red is even harder to play against IMO. Congratz on the win.

Nov 2004
    Missouri

I've been lurking this thread, playing this deck every so often on MWS, and I want to congratulate wastedlife on making a very good combo deck for legacy.

After reading your report, I'd like to ask about the match in which you ETW on your second turn. Is this a "I've got great combo material, but will be unable to cast Tendrils, go for ETW?" type play? In other words, is forcing a turn two ETW for 10+ gobs the right play rather than waiting till turn three for a possible tendrils?

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Hoojo View Post
    I've been lurking this thread, playing this deck every so often on MWS, and I want to congratulate wastedlife on making a very good combo deck for legacy.

After reading your report, I'd like to ask about the match in which you ETW on your second turn. Is this a "I've got great combo material, but will be unable to cast Tendrils, go for ETW?" type play? In other words, is forcing a turn two ETW for 10+ gobs the right play rather than waiting till turn three for a possible tendrils?
    I knew he didn't have stifle or mass removal which makes ETW > Tendrils of Agony in that situation. He could've easily of stopped me from getting to 10 storm where as me casting Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal, then 4 other 0cc artifacts into ETW not so easily. In order to get to storm 10 I would've needed additional mana and a draw/tutor effect in hand which I didn't at the moment and I can't rely on drawing one to happen.

May 2005
    Thursday...

Besides Duress and Swarm, how do people play around Duress? I try and go off as late as possible, and from there, I play D. Returns and go off multiple times, and game 2, I do the same thing, but with Bob this time.

Besides Duress and Swarm, how do people play around Duress? I try and go off as late as possible, and from there, I play D. Returns and go off multiple times, and game 2, I do the same thing, but with Bob this time.
    You you mean play around Stifle?
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    You you mean play around Stifle?
    It just happens when you cant sleep at night because your girlfriend dumps you in front Tires Plus... so you type this crap up at 4 am without editing it.

Bryant Cook

Ways to play around Stifle in order.

1.) Xantid Swarm is by far your best option, this little guy steals games. People often tend to bluff and Stifle his ability, don't be foolish. Unless you are dying next turn pass the turn and try again next turn.

2.) Burning Wish-> Duress is a good option. While this is more mana intensive than Xantid it gives you the knowledge of knowing what's in thier hand. One problem with this approach is that you really can't Ill-Gotten Gains for the win unless you are ahead on card advantage. You'll have to acclerate until you have about 8-10 mana, cast X spells, IGG, get back Duress, 2 key spells and win.

3.) Double Tendrils/Empty the Warrens plan. This is another solid option but it can be a little slow, building up to 10 mana Infernal revealing Tendrils double Tendrils. Another option is Tendrils and Empty the Warrens, while this leaves you with men incase they do have stifle. Generally try and cast Warrens first then Tendrils.

4.) Ill-Gotten Gains, see what they have! It's never a horrible Idea. Do it mid-combo(By this I mean up storm count with acceleration, NO TUTORS) once it resolves or gets countered continue if possible(by this I mean if you are not able to go off wait).

5.) Diminishing Returns, the weakest of the possible options but more common than option 3-4. This gives them a new hand, but if you do this with enough mana floating you can combine it with option 2 FTW.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

I made some changes to the deck accordingly to my play style and I'd like to hear what people say about them:

I found cabal pits not great at all: They offer just a color and are not always great ad doing what they're meant for: solve the MM problem.
    a- I usually don't have threshold unless in the long game. I really can't have it after a Diminishing Returns.
    b- They offer just 1 color. This deck really needs coloured mana, at least red and blue..
    c- Pit deals 1 DMG. I found that this is can be a mess in the long run (turn 3) because there are many other things that are damaging us (city, Plunge, opponent).
    d- Meddling mage is easily solved by racing it or making X goblins (that's usually game anyway), or wishing for Pyroclasm/earthquake. In substance,I found that mage is not such a problem unless it comes in multiples..
    e- vs decks with no MM or True Believer etc it just sucks.

I'm not a fan of plunge into darkness, but i'm aware that it's one of the 8 shuffle effects of the deck (with IT) that helps brainstorm goodness. I'm not sure about the numbers: drawing 2 plunge is really a mess. Playing one for 5-8 on turn 2 means that you usually HAVE to combo on turn 3 and on low life (so playing another can be a bad idea).
    I decided to cut 1 Plunge to increase the number of lands.
    These are my changes:
    -1 Plunge -2 Cabal Pit /Tomb of Urami
    +1 Badlands +1 Underground Sea +1 Fetch (bloodstained or polluted)

The fetchland is good because it helps vs wasteland turn 1 so that you can combo on turn 2 with 2 lands and because it's a shuffling effect after brainstorm.

For some time i tried one Undiscovered paradise, but i feel like the duals/fetch version is better.
    ---
    My sideboard is different from WastedLife's too: i play -2 Confidants +2 Chain of vapor. (Pure control is unexistent here)

I found it great vs the Random.dec that is siding UnknownHate.Card. it can slow your opponent down if you need some time and can raise your storm count by bouncing your 0cc artifacts.

My usual sideboard vs deck with no blue/black is:
    -4 xantid +2 CoV +1 Duress +1 Shattering spree/confidant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

May 2005
    Thursday...

I likedhow you addressed that the to Meddling Mage is Empty the Warrens. I kinda think that this is a strong for this deck to take, however, how often has Meddling Mage "on" Burning Wish screwed you over? You cant really play EtW without Burning Wish, but you can play it through Infernal Tutor.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

I likedhow you addressed that the to Meddling Mage is Empty the Warrens. I kinda think that this is a strong for this deck to take, however, how often has Meddling Mage "on" Burning Wish screwed you over? You cant really play EtW without Burning Wish, but you can play it through Infernal Tutor.
    Well, i've never had a game where my opponent's MM chants against Wish. The only game where it happened the opponent had 3 MMagi (on Tendrils, ETW, Wish). I won this one with chain of vapor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    Well, i've never had a game where my opponent's MM chants against Wish. The only game where it happened the opponent had 3 MMagi (on Tendrils, ETW, Wish). I won this one with chain of vapor.
    This is a prime example of a stupid player. You would probably have lost if he named LED, Rite of Flame, and Dark Ritual.

Thread Information