Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Re: [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica & [RNA] Ravnica Allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Modern has access to some decent 3 mana counters already and they see little play.

The format is very fast, mostly built around actions on the first two turns. (Or 3 if you are flashing back your Looting) If your waiting until turn 3 to interact, your losing.
    Why would a 3 mana spell be your cheapest CMC spell? I mean, the hell guys, it's not like if you run Absorb it's the only counter or removal you can run in your entire deck.

Absorb is a spell that blows out aggro on t3-t6 in a control deck, and lifts you out of topdecked burn range in the lategame.

I mean, by the "turn 3 is too late" logic, no deck should ever run any cards with CMC>1.

Ya'll R cray cray.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Why would a 3 mana spell be your cheapest CMC spell? I mean, the hell guys, it's not like if you run Absorb it's the only counter or removal you can run in your entire deck.

Absorb is a spell that blows out aggro on t3-t6 in a control deck, and lifts you out of topdecked burn range in the lategame.

I mean, by the "turn 3 is too late" logic, no deck should ever run any cards with CMC>1.

Ya'll R cray cray.
    Because at 4 mana you have Cryptic. So if your going to run a counter above 2 mana you might as well pick the Swiss army knife that really does it all.

I have a copy of Disallow on my desk. Its easier to cast and is a far more effective 3 cmc counter. I use it in EDH. This card is unlikely to ever touch a Modern deck I play because its just too much mana even for the rather useful effect.

Also, it is not going to be your cheapest effect, but you have to remove something to put it in and if your removing something for a 3 cmc counter its likely going to be the 4 cmc counter your playing. That just is not happening. You are not going to remove a 2 cmc counter and your running low on other cards that you can remove. I mean these decks are already running less that 4 Snapcaster because space is tight. If you want to build around this in Modern be my guest, but your not going to have much luck. I'll bet you a playset of Disallow on that.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Because at 4 mana you have Cryptic. So if your going to run a counter above 2 mana you might as well pick the Swiss army knife that really does it all.

I have a copy of Disallow on my desk. Its easier to cast and is a far more effective 3 cmc counter. I use it in EDH. This card is unlikely to ever touch a Modern deck I play because its just too much mana even for the rather useful effect.

Also, it is not going to be your cheapest effect, but you have to remove something to put it in and if your removing something for a 3 cmc counter its likely going to be the 4 cmc counter your playing. That just is not happening. You are not going to remove a 2 cmc counter and your running low on other cards that you can remove. I mean these decks are already running less that 4 Snapcaster because space is tight. If you want to build around this in Modern be my guest, but your not going to have much luck. I'll bet you a playset of Disallow on that.
    3x Snapcaster Mage
    2x Vendillion Clique

3x Jace, TMS
    2x Teferi

2x Search for Azcanta
    1x Detention Sphere
    1x Treasure Map
    1x Thaumatic Compass

2x Mana Leak
    2x Negate
    2x Absorb
    4x Cryptic Command
    4x Path to Exile
    2x Supreme Verdict
    4x Opt

25 lands

See? It's not that hard, and I even had space for pet cards that most people hate like Compass and Map and extra creatures.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

See? It's not that hard, and I even had space for pet cards that most people hate like Compass and Map and extra creatures.
    Cool, let me know how it goes. Because Legal =/ Playable.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Cool, let me know how it goes. Because Legal =/ Playable.
    I would, but that'd cost me roughly $120 to build online, and I'm not putting $$ into MODO a this point given how obviously walking dead that platform is. And I don't play paper, sooooo..

I'll let you know how it goes on Arena next year when they have Modern lite there.

How does Absorb blow out aggro on turns 3-6?

Also, what does the card even do for you? Most of the aggro decks either build board way too quickly for Absorb to matter (Hollow One, Dredge, Affinity, etc.) or have disruption that makes expensive counters questionable (Humans, Spirits). The combo decks either have tons of redundancy or are better addressed through Render Silent, with the possible exception of KCI and the definite exception of Scapeshift. It might be useful against slower decks where "counter + bonus" is an important card advantage tool, but +3 life tends to have very little meaning versus slow decks, so it's a pretty paltry bonus.

This card might be fine for Standard if the aggressive decks are slow enough that a three mana counter isn't embarrassing, but also fast enough that +3 life makes a real difference, but I can't see it ever mattering in Modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    How does Absorb blow out aggro on turns 3-6?

Also, what does the card even do for you? Most of the aggro decks either build board way too quickly for Absorb to matter (Hollow One, Dredge, Affinity, etc.) or have disruption that makes expensive counters questionable (Humans, Spirits). The combo decks either have tons of redundancy or are better addressed through Render Silent, with the possible exception of KCI and the definite exception of Scapeshift. It might be useful against slower decks where "counter + bonus" is an important card advantage tool, but +3 life tends to have very little meaning versus slow decks, so it's a pretty paltry bonus.

This card might be fine for Standard if the aggressive decks are slow enough that a three mana counter isn't embarrassing, but also fast enough that +3 life makes a real difference, but I can't see it ever mattering in Modern.
    Well geeze, better not run Teferi or Jace in any kind of control shell either, they both cost EVEN MORE than three mana, and they can get killed by a full board of enemies!!!

I would, but that'd cost me roughly $120 to build online, and I'm not putting $$ into MODO a this point given how obviously walking dead that platform is. And I don't play paper, sooooo..

I'll let you know how it goes on Arena next year when they have Modern lite there.
    Sure, MODO might be dead for standard and limited but there will always need to be some outlet for Modern/Legacy/Vintage. I don't see that going away any time soon. I myself play Arena for T2 fun but I still play in Modern & Legacy leagues/challenges and wouldn't want to be without those.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Newest member of the Chancellor cycle.

Deputy of Detention 1UW
    Creature - vedalken wizard
    "Detention Sphere text"
    1/3

This feels like it could see play in Legacy, maybe a blue splash in DnT?

Deputy of Detention 1UW
    Creature - vedalken wizard
    "Detention Sphere text"
    1/3

This feels like it could see play in Legacy, maybe a blue splash in DnT?
    Unfortunately it's not a Human (or fortunately, if you're a Modern player) and it can't be recruited by Recruiter of the Guard. D&T already has enough removal, though perhaps more narrow, on a stick between Flickerwisp and Palace Jailer, or even Leonin Relic-Warder or Mangara. Perhaps a different shell than D&T though?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

"Biomancer's Pet" GU
    Creature - Mutant
    Activated abilities of creatures you control cost up to 2 less to activate. This effect can't reduce the amount of mana ab ability costs to activate to less than one mana.
    T: The next time a creature you control activates Adapt this turn, it uses Adapt as if it has no +1/+1 counters.
    2/2

I think that's training grounds reduction ability? any use for it now that you could potentially have 8 such reductions?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Newest member of the Chancellor cycle.
    This cards is h...o...t...HOT. It's aggressively costed as a 4/4 flyer for 4 and all but ensures that you curve into it with your land drops. If I understand it correctly you can have multiple triggers, too. I'm going to call it now that this card sees play definitely in Standard, possibly in Modern. It's a little steep in modern, but the payoff for having it in your opening hand is pretty big.

I'm not going to be bashful here: this is a powerful, well-designed card. I absolutely love it.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    This cards is h...o...t...HOT. It's aggressively costed as a 4/4 flyer for 4 and all but ensures that you curve into it with your land drops. If I understand it correctly you can have multiple triggers, too. I'm going to call it now that this card sees play definitely in Standard, possibly in Modern. It's a little steep in modern, but the payoff for having it in your opening hand is pretty big.

I'm not going to be bashful here: this is a powerful, well-designed card. I absolutely love it.
    What about a blue Stompy deck? I get that UU is kinda harsh on the mana, but the initial scry should help to set things up and afterwards it smooths out draws.

Maybe we're getting a cycle of Chancellor-type cards in this set.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    This is Ravnica, so I suspect a cycle of 4-mana creatures with 'pre-game' effects. That way they call back to Leylines.

I think the new Detention Sphere creature can be good in a Uw Wizards deck. This card is ABSURD with Naban. Unfortunately, Naban doesn’t trigger Meddling Mage a second time, but there are other options in white which should make it worth a splash.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    I think the new Detention Sphere creature can be good in a Uw Wizards deck. This card is ABSURD with Naban. Unfortunately, Naban doesn’t trigger Meddling Mage a second time, but there are other options in white which should make it worth a splash.
    Good catch with Naban. Meddling Mage not doubling down doesn't make it a bad card. Reflector Mage is probably another good WU card to abuse with Naban.

White also opens up Karakas shenanigans with Venser, who also combos with Naban (either double bounce or bounce + self-bounce for reuse later).

Hydroid crassis' life gain and card draw are cast triggers instead of spell effects. That makes them a lot stronger than they look at first glance, and strong in control decks. (It irritates me that they're sticking "cast trigger" into the blue portfolio when other colors really should get stuff to mess with counterspells, but what do I know?)

...I think that's training grounds reduction ability? any use for it now that you could potentially have 8 such reductions?
    A problem with Training Grounds is that it has 3-card combo syndrome. This could mitigate that issue with stuff like Collected Company or Rally the Ancestors that puts multiple creature cards into play at once.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    What about a blue Stompy deck? I get that UU is kinda harsh on the mana, but the initial scry should help to set things up and afterwards it smooths out draws.

This is Ravnica, so I suspect a cycle of 4-mana creatures with 'pre-game' effects. That way they call back to Leylines.
    I have the most awkward boner right now...sorry.

Blue stompy seems to really like this (I'm assuming you mean Faerie Stompy, not Pirate Stompy...) The extra scry to help ensure a t1 Chalice seems very, very good. The clock is fast, it has evastion, it's in the right converted mana cost, and it helps smooth out the game as soon as you play it. Dare I say we have a 4-mana non-Jace legacy playable card in blue?

I mean, my nerd-meter is in overload because I want to play this with Tempest Djinn and Back to Basics.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post

I mean, my nerd-meter is in overload because I want to play this with Tempest Djinn and Back to Basics.
    How about with Food Chain?

Thread Information