View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1039 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 395399399891029103510361037103810391040104110421043104910891139 ... LastLast
Results 20,761 to 20,780 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    I agree with Zulabnar [edit: regarding the state of the format], however the format is still evolving and it should be given time to continue to evolve and settle. The next step in banning everything but the main offender would be to ban Snapcaster Mage, as a friend argued today, and I think this might help. Sure they (i.e. Miracles and Grixis Control) would get Mission Briefing, but not getting that 2/1 flash creature would be a step back [edit: this is debatable though].

On the topic of the banning of G. Probe, I have been reading the discussion half-heartedly but I think my first comment said the relevant stuff. Well, to each his own..

Edit, again: actually, it's kind of interesting when, hypothetically, the t0 deck consists of only very fair cards (maybe a single broken card, though this is of course debated) and this still makes it overpowered. Considering banning Snapcaster Mage is strange indeed, such a fair card.
    Well, this was part of why banning Deathrite was not really ideal. We saw it happen in Modern too, where Deathrite was what held Snapcaster back from being obviously the best Creature in Modern (at the time). While Deathrite was likely a mistake in being as powerful as it was, I still think it was over-all better for the format than it was a detriment.

This is exactly the type of sentiment that I decried when Deathrite got banned. This war against excellence, which ends up a war against whatever emerges as the "next best thing." There will always be a next best thing. If the aim is to always just cull from the top simply because it's the top, we are working our way toward a format where all we have a ETBF Tapped lands and Great Wall. Am I being dramatic? Of course, but I'm illustrating how absurd the general principle is/was in banning Deathrite and now this subsequent idea that Snapcaster should be banned. Or even considered for banning.

Hierarchy is the entire point of Legacy. The format is absolutely predicated on the very notion that some things are demonstrably better than others. Leave your Post-Modernist notions in the realm where they belong: ideas that seems reasonable but don't actually work in or pertain to the realistic world.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Mission Briefing is pretty busted. Calling it now: better than Snapcaster Mage.
    I don't think this can be true, because Mission Briefing can't kill your opponent, whereas Snapcaster Mage can.

Edit: we're pretty much exactly on the same page with everything else though.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Also, apropos of Pettdan's comment, Mission Briefing is pretty busted. Calling it now: better than Snapcaster Mage.
    And that thing is instant? Oh for fuck's sake.

Meanwhile in Green, the ostensibly more graveyard-based color of the two:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    And that thing is instant?
    It gets better. It doesn't target so it gets around Silent Gravestone/Ground Seal, it digs two cards deep for Hail Mary plays, and it lets you pitch blue cards in your hand to cast Force out of the graveyard.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

May 2015
    PDX

@taconaught putting responses to blocks of your post:
    1) The game-ending (before it began) is the weakest point in the argument against Probe; however an amount of games did end on turn 0 [effectively] because Probe was legal - the failure of Probe to cost any mana made that possible. It's not about how often people feel like that happened; the point is that objectively speaking, that Probe's zero mana cost is the underlying mechanic that made it possible.

There are a lot of cards on the banlist [particularly ones without mana engine aspects] which are banned b/c they are kinda just bullcrap. Now bullcrap comes in two [non-mana engine] flavors: "this is overpowered, and the only way to beat it is to play it" [ ex. Ancestral Recall/Mental Misstep, subset diversity killer] and "this is just plain stupid" [ex. Yawg Will, Time Vault, etc.]. There is a precedent for banning cards just on the basis of "this is bullcrap," and turn zero Probe-Sea-Therapy, take 2 cards-gg is something that qualifies as sufficiently stupid play pattern. An argument of "Probe is to powerful, it should be banned" is inherently subjective, but it's not necessarily wrong [nor is it necessarily right].

2) There is a very large difference between needing to play a land and use its mana to cast a discard spell, and needing zero mana and getting a new card. An opponent cannot interact with something as non-committal as Probe [unless life total is a meaningful axis of interaction from the onset of a game, which is to say specifically Burn].

3) It's not about the info quality in a dynamic game state, nor about how people play in-game. I'm just looking at the raw mechanics of Probe and stating that the purpose of the card is to move a game of magic away from interactive, precisely because no meaningful axis of interaction was exposed to an opponent.

4) Treasure Cruise would have gotten itself banned post-theoretical Probe ban. DTT probably also, but we'll never really know. What we can say though is that any card with keyword delve is castable at least 1 turn quicker in the presence of Probe. This can currently be appreciated in legacy by watching Death's Shadow [with Street Wraith] and any other non-Wraith deck with Gurmag. That increase in velocity is objectively noteworthy.

5) Chalice requires extreme concessions in deckbuilding. The cost of Chalice's power is that you're at the mercy of an opponent's strategy because Chalice decks are exceedingly easy to predict possible plays (and if Chalice didn't stop their plans, your deck is going to offer very little dynamic resistance). Also notable: most Chalice decks do not get the benefit of increasing the EV of their topdecks by thinning via Fetchlands.

@Ronald Deuce some of the above post relates to your post. Building on that I'll just talk about what it all means when I apply it to Grixis Delver.

The entire deck of Grixis Delver [pre-DRS/Probe ban] is built upon the premise of abusing Fetchlands in an amount of ways no other decks could. There are of course the cantrips and DRS mana implications; then apart from Fetchlands was the notable ability to shred opponent's hands on the back of Probe/Therapy. That hyper-consistent, hyper-efficient, hyper-disruptive, and high-velocity strategy then got the delve mechanic - and suddenly Probe/Therapy is now also buffing the Fetchland abuse because both feed into the DTT/Gurmag reward pathway. It was not challenging to capitalize on that payoff by turn 3. While it wasn't unbeatable, the chances were the opponent never really got to play magic/make meaningful decisions before they died.

Probe being legal meant an opponent would die at least ~1 turn quicker. Another way of stating this: with delve, Probe is mana positive.

The hidden oracle text on Probe is: Pay 2 life, your opponents' ability to interact is diminished and the amount of time they have to interact will be diminished. Results may vary [deck construction + variance], and don't reassess as long as Fetchlands are legal.

May 2005
    Wisconsin

BAN:

Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Show and Tell
    Dark Depths
    possibly Griselbrand

format would be way more fun

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by porcupinetreeman View Post
    BAN:

Dark Depths

Heathen.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

A Griselbrand ban would be great. Just think that Reanimator might actually have to make real decisions when it comes to figuring out what to entomb for instead of Griselbrand 95% of the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

I don't really mind Show and Tell quite as such - I mind Show and Tell into abject braindeath. Cleaning the "if this lands the game is over then and there with basically 0 requirements" type of cards from the payoff list would make the card more interesting. Show and Tell is broken, but it's S&T->Griseltard/Emralolol/Omnidrool, maybe S&T->Jin-Git that are the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

May 2015
    PDX

For all the hate SnT gets, it really only punishes small-minded magic grinding out their little incremental advantages. The balance is that things go horribly wrong when you cast SnT into decks that are going big. There's no doubt SnT is stupid and generally uninteresting, but it's still symmetrical.

The card SnT operates to hurt SCM/SFM/Strix/etc ETB-value scumming into [insert planeswalker]. As bad as the SnT matchup is for the non-blue fair deck, the fact of the matter is that said fair deck is relying on ETB value scum precisely because they can't go big vs cheap removal spell into Snapcaster. Losing to SnT might feel awful, but SnT isn't taking deck-building freedom away from the non-blue fair deck.

Hopefully WotC learns to print less miserable cards [preferably lands] that hate on ETB-value magic than SnT. Even if a fair deck [given tools to hate ETB without going out of their way] is gonna stop at Goyf, the quality of card they could dump in off SnT would have improved significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, this was part of why banning Deathrite was not really ideal. We saw it happen in Modern too, where Deathrite was what held Snapcaster back from being obviously the best Creature in Modern (at the time). While Deathrite was likely a mistake in being as powerful as it was, I still think it was over-all better for the format than it was a detriment.

This is exactly the type of sentiment that I decried when Deathrite got banned. This war against excellence, which ends up a war against whatever emerges as the "next best thing." There will always be a next best thing. If the aim is to always just cull from the top simply because it's the top, we are working our way toward a format where all we have a ETBF Tapped lands and Great Wall. Am I being dramatic? Of course, but I'm illustrating how absurd the general principle is/was in banning Deathrite and now this subsequent idea that Snapcaster should be banned. Or even considered for banning.

Hierarchy is the entire point of Legacy. The format is absolutely predicated on the very notion that some things are demonstrably better than others. Leave your Post-Modernist notions in the realm where they belong: ideas that seems reasonable but don't actually work in or pertain to the realistic world.
    I think there are two reason we have these bans: Wizards silence on what cards are sacrosanct and there inability to stop printing dumb blue cards. Outside of a Tweet by Aaron Forsythe on Brainstorm (a Tweet, really?) we don't know what cards will never be banned and by extension will be banned around. I can't play Top but I can play Brainstorm and Ponder in all of my Blue decks and I don't think I need to mention the stupidity of Griseltard. This feels really similar to how they manage the Banned List in Modern, very heavy-handed. It would be nice if we were told if they had a vision for the format because looking at the cards that are banned and the ones I can play is kinda confusing.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Quote Originally Posted by porcupinetreeman View Post
    BAN:

Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Show and Tell
    Dark Depths
    possibly Griselbrand

These are all fine. You may not like them, but they aren't overly powerful to the point that there is a legitimate reason to ban them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Griselbrand should go and has needed to for awhile. It would be great if the combo decks didn't just instantly win when their big fatty resolved 90% of the time. Especially for non blue decks that can't fight on the stack it might give fair non prison non blue decks some sort of game against combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    And that thing is instant? Oh for fuck's sake.

Meanwhile in Green, the ostensibly more graveyard-based color of the two:
    You do understand that wizards doesn't give a shit about legacy? These cards are decent in standard an bg is a very strong deck also because of good the recursion tools it has.

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post

As I've said before, that might be good for the game, as it's bigger than it has ever been; it's just a bummer when it always seems like it's the decks you like that Wizards takes shots at
    That deck would be?

When the hell was Storm on top of the format? In the Mystical Tutor days? And how is casting T1 Thoughtseize throwing away a turn? It neuters opponents' hands. For one mana. And it gives you "free information." And it takes anything that's not The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. (/sarcasm)

I genuinely can't tell who's for real in this thread anymore. Anyone who has ever lost a Legacy game to a T1 Probe followed by nothing probably shouldn't be playing games that involve critical thought. The interaction of Probe, Therapy, and Young Pyromancer was the core "problem" (assiduously sticking to scare quotes here) that rational people complained about, and their complaint never held water. As a corollary, to people who aren't interested in numeric data, why wouldn't you want to ban Chalice of the Void if it's more ubiquitous and powerful than Gitaxian Probe? Bias.

I hate getting this frothy, but seriously, there's a lot of nonsense in these recent posts. And lest anyone forget, the "reasoning" provided by Wizards behind banning probe had nothing to do with any of your arguments: it was, effectively, "Probe is really good. We chose to ban it in a lot of formats. Therefore, we should ban it in Legacy."
    SOunds like a salty storm player?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    That deck would be?
    Ooh ooh, I know this one! WotC hates Doomsday, all formats.

Unban chaos orb.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    Unban chaos orb.
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    SOunds like a salty storm player?
    I am salty about the ban, and I am a Storm player, but those two aren't directly connected. Again, Storm's actually in a better place now precisely because it's not vulnerable to Probe-Therapy-Therapy plays; even though Storm used Probe-Therapy, it suffered against it more than it benefited from having the option around. It's the apparent lack of reasoning, testing, and logic in the ban announcement that makes me angry, especially when the community largely just goes, "Huh, ok," without holding the arbiters to a standard of logic or transparency. I've left Modern forever because I'm tired of watching anything and everything powerful that's not an ETB creature get sniped, and I think that in a format like Legacy, which has such a steep financial barrier to entry, there'd better be pretty good reasoning and transparency in the banning process if decks are going to get hammered. Sure, there's a lot of versatility in Legacy's expensive staples, but it's infuriating to see the higher-ups just go, "Well, we're banning Probe because we banned it in other formats." At least they gave some kind of coherent reasoning behind the Deathrite ban, sad though I was to see it.

Fox, sorry I missed your post. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Probe specifically, because I'm with you about most of your arguments and I think you've got an interesting perspective; I just don't think the card warranted a ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    For all the hate SnT gets, it really only punishes small-minded magic grinding out their little incremental advantages. The balance is that things go horribly wrong when you cast SnT into decks that are going big. There's no doubt SnT is stupid and generally uninteresting, but it's still symmetrical.
    A thousand times this. It's a card with a built-in out to itself. (Won me some games by flopping my own Griselbrand in Dredge, flopping a Charbelcher and firing away, or flopping Stingscourger in Burn.) Eureka and Hypergenesis have the same feature, and I suspect that's the reason they're fringy these days. Sure, Show and Tell is a bit dumb, but isn't it dumber that there are 15/15 Annihilators and 7/7 Bargaintown creatures running around?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Ban: True-Name, Terminus, Counterbalance, Mentor, Griselbrand

Unban: Top, Earthcraft

Format solved
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Format solved
    i like where you're going but i've got a detour: unban probe, top, deathrite, earthcraft, mindtwist and ban brainstorm.

no more shaky keeps just 'cause you have a BS and a fetch

you wouldn't HAVE TO play blue "cause i'm a spike nonsense"...

EDIT: i'd even campaign to get DTT and treasure cruise back if it meant BS gets the ban hammer.

Thread Information