Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Modern Banned List

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Modern Banned List

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    There were a few UW control lists going around a couple months ago, before the eldrazi came. UWR control might have it's moment in the sun again as well if these fast creature combo decks are the new norm. I've also always been very partial to 4 or 5 color Gifts control decks that really were just bad against the turn 2 kills and Tron. Turn 2 kills exist but now that we don't have to hedge so hard against abusive lands there's a decent amount of slots to put in more sacrifice effects.

I'll be playing Deathcloud for a while though, hopefully persist shenanigans don't run supreme.
    One of my mates runs this deck with Jace and Ojutai's Command, it has legs but I do not know if it can match Grixis.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Decently backed rumors say Eye of Ugin is gone.
    Such as?

Mar 2013

Twitter. From on high.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Nov 2006
    London

If this is true (BIG 'if'), Eldrazi will probably stay Tier 1/Tier 2. You can swap in Vesuva for Eye and still have a functioning deck. It just won't be nearly as broken (Turn 2 TKS is still a possibility, but very rare; no more multiple Mimic openings). No one should be surprised though, since Aaron Forsythe came out saying they weren't going to make the deck unplayable.

This also has a bit of splash damage to Tron, which is probably a good thing since everyone predicted it to be the DTB after the Splinter Twin ban.

So the price of Temple and Vesuva will probable go up, while Eye will tank. Gonna have to pick up some foils.

Related: Why Eye of Ugin is the Ban (MTGPrice)

I really have a hard time seeing them banning "just" Eye of Ugin. I'm almost 100% certain Temple gets hit too. Every time wizards has decided they need to kill a deck, they've KILLED it. Think about what happened to Affinity, or Caw-Blade. Does anyone really think WotC wants to come back in three months and do this again with Vesuva/Temple based Eldrazi running rampant? I mean, Green/x Tron probably just becomes the new Eldrazi mid-range deck after this, given the power level of Reality Smasher and Thought-Knot Seer + Ancient Stirrings/Sylvan Scrying. It's basically a much better version of the old, and very strong, "Troll and Nail" decks. Except now it will be "Eldrazi and Karn" decks.

So I guess I just don't understand why people think only one of the lands is going to take a beating here.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Forsythe explicitly said they don't want to totally kill Eldrazi as a deck and banning both lands does that.

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    Forsythe explicitly said they don't want to totally kill Eldrazi as a deck and banning both lands does that.
    It's historical precedent versus the word of the director of MTG R&D.

We'll see very soon what ends up being false.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I really have a hard time seeing them banning "just" Eye of Ugin. I'm almost 100% certain Temple gets hit too. Every time wizards has decided they need to kill a deck, they've KILLED it. Think about what happened to Affinity, or Caw-Blade. Does anyone really think WotC wants to come back in three months and do this again with Vesuva/Temple based Eldrazi running rampant? I mean, Green/x Tron probably just becomes the new Eldrazi mid-range deck after this, given the power level of Reality Smasher and Thought-Knot Seer + Ancient Stirrings/Sylvan Scrying. It's basically a much better version of the old, and very strong, "Troll and Nail" decks. Except now it will be "Eldrazi and Karn" decks.

So I guess I just don't understand why people think only one of the lands is going to take a beating here.
    Eye enables the broken plays. With Temple it may still be Tier 1 until the meta adapts, but it's still just an aggro deck with a weak manabase and no reach. With neither lands there's no point to playing the deck since Zoo and Jund do the same thing better.

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I guess that's what I meant about "eldrazi and karn" becoming the new deck. Things just get a lot more mid-rangey that way, but you've still got people able to play with their smashers and seers and whatnot.

I mean:

4x TKS
    4x Reality Smasher
    4x Karn Liberated
    2x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
    3x Oblivion Stone
    3x Wurmcoil Engine

4x Chromatic Star
    4x Chromatic Sphere
    4x Ancient Stirrings
    4x Expedition Map
    3x Sylvan Scrying

4x Urza's Tower
    4x Urza's Power Plant
    4x Urza's Mine
    4x Wooded Foothills
    3x Forest
    1x Mountain
    1x Stomping Ground

I mean, that's a pretty solid deck that's very Eldrazi-ish, and can run without Temples or Eyes, but it isn't overpowered like the current Eldrazi decks, because even though it does lots of broken things, and can do them every turn, it doesn't start doing them until turn 3, and it can be disrupted. The Eldrazi decks only have to devote a few land slots to their broken mana engine, which lets them run lots of things like Cavern of Souls that further power up their dudes.

Vesuva/Temple/Cavern is the same number of slots as full tron, and just like the cloudpost engine, it comes online a heck of a lot more reliably and faster.

Nov 2006
    London

You've just subbed Eldrazi for Wurmcoil. That doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

Jun 2015
    NYC

I agree morgan, that deck seems strong and I would definitely vote for banning both lands. (Hell I'd ban the Tron lands too.) I just think Forsythe was pretty clear that they wanted Eldrazi to stick around as a deck so it's very unlikely. They feel like Modern needs a regularly shifting meta and new cards.

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    You've just subbed Eldrazi for Wurmcoil. That doesn't seem like an improvement to me.
    I'm guessing you weren't around during the era when Tooth and Nail transitioned into Troll and Nail then. Basically, the way everyone fought TNN was mixes of counters, discard, ld and extraction effects. The thing is, some TNN players realized that they could win just fine with only ONE big combo set of targets for TNN, instead of running like 8 different things for different situations, then they used the space freed up to run a bunch of midrange green creatures, like Troll Ascetic. This made the deck a nightmare to play against because even if you stopped the "combo" you still had a bunch of big monsters kicking in your teeth.

Same thing with that list. Less one-of nonsense and counterplay silliness, way more "kick in your teeth". It's the ultimate expression of the philosophy of fire, or combo in mid-range form. Basically, you're saying "i'm going to get out absurd amounts of mana, then cast lots and lots and lots of big, resilient threats. Deal with it or lose".

Oh, and it still has Wurmcoil, the Eldrazi are in addition to that. What got cut is crap like Spellskite, Painter's Servant, and the 10+ mana one-ofs.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I don't think the problem with Eldrazi was that they played a 4/4 for 4 mana on turn 4 or Reality Smasher around then, the problem was that they'd do it on turn 2 and you'd basically have only 1 turn to stop it. TKS is a great card but it doesn't oppress the format when played on turn 4, and that's all your list (and other tron ones like it) would be able to do unless you go 1-2-3 tron, and if that's the case I'm wayyy less scared of a TKS than a Karn or Wurmcoil. By then you could have already died to infect, elves, affinity, whatever. Control can still work against this type of deck since they're actually able to get a couple turns to set up.

In that tron list the thing I'd be most worried about is a turn 3 Karn, and that doesn't really change much. Without ridiculous mana ramp into TKS it's just a good card, not bonkers insane. Losing Eye of Ugin really makes Tron worse in the long game, so incorporating a few powerful Eldrazi will help them but looking at it from my control list's point of view I'm a lot more comfortable going into the end game against that.

Oh, yeah, no, it's totally worse than the current Eldrazi list with Temple and Eye. I just wanted to show that you could ban both lands and still have an "eldrazi" deck. I mean, it took awhile, but even after the artifact land bannings, we still have a pretty dang good affinity deck out there.

I really have a hard time seeing them banning "just" Eye of Ugin. I'm almost 100% certain Temple gets hit too. Every time wizards has decided they need to kill a deck, they've KILLED it. Think about what happened to Affinity, or Caw-Blade.
    Caw-Blade wasn't close to killed; it was still one of the best decks in the format post bannings. Case in point: Grand Prix Pittsburgh (2011), which took place after the bannings, had THREE Caw-Blade decks in the Top 8 (one of which was the winner).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Caw-Blade wasn't close to killed; it was still one of the best decks in the format post bannings. Case in point: Grand Prix Pittsburgh (2011), which took place after the bannings, had THREE Caw-Blade decks in the Top 8 (one of which was the winner).
    Um... Jace and Stoneforge were banned. The only key card to survive was Squadron Hawk. Are you dense?

Um... Jace and Stoneforge were banned. The only key card to survive was Squadron Hawk. Are you dense?
    Did you read my post? I gave some pretty definite proof that Caw-Blade was not killed, because a deck that's killed doesn't get three copies of it into the Top 8 of a Grand Prix. So in what way am I "dense" unless you're arguing the Grand Prix somehow didn't happen? As a side note, you're wrong that the only key card to survive was Squadron Hawk. Even ignoring the rather important supporting cast (e.g. Mana Leak, Preordain), Sword of of Feast and Famine was still around. Both the "Caw" and the "Blade" were still legal.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Eye of Ugin banned.

Ancestral Vision unbanned.
    Sword of the Meek unbanned.

This is a clear signal they want to see blue as a contender. Depowering both Eldrazi and RG Tron, while giving us back Ancestral Vision and Sword of the Meek (even to test with, could turn out to be garbage), does nothing but bolster blue's positioning. Very good day for Modern format.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Mar 2013

Well while I lost Shops, Grixis in Modern just got a kick up the ass.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

A lot of twitter speculation that Mox Opal is on the Watch list for banning...
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Not looking forward to all of the places Sword of the Meek fits into, but hey, I'm happy overall.

Thread Information