Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Mono Green Chalice Aggro

[Deck] Mono Green Chalice Aggro

For quite some time now, Legacy players around the world have been toying with the notion of assembling a single-colored green deck with various lock components such as Chalice of the Void and Trinisphere. To be sure, there are several decks in existence that function in this nature but none seem to have had a tremendous impact on the general Legacy meta game. Don't be fooled, however: This is not a Stax variant due to the absence of cards like Smokestack and Tangle Wire (both of which have been staples of this archetype for many years).

The basic history surrounding this particular hybrid of Mono Green Chalice Aggro came about in a crude attempt to dismantle decks that rely both heavily on Islands and lower-costing spells. After several months of tinkering, here is ultimately the list I settled on for the debut at Jupiter Games' Forty Dual Land Draft on July 25th, 2009:

Mono Green Chalice Aggro
    by Michael Keller

Main
    [4x] Llanowar Elves
    [4x] Elvish Spirit Guide
    [4x] Chalice of the Void
    [4x] Tarmogoyf
    [4x] River Boa
    [4x] Trinisphere
    [4x] Natural Order
    [3x] Cold-Eyed Selkie
    [3x] Umezawa's Jitte
    [3x] Garruk Wildspeaker
    [2x] Wickerbough Elder
    [1x] Progenitus

Land
    [9x] Forest
    [4x] Ancient Tomb
    [4x] Wasteland
    [2x] Pendelhaven
    [1x] Dryad Arbor

Total: 60 Cards.

Sideboard
    [4x] Choke
    [3x] Krosan Grip
    [3x] Tormods Crypt
    [3x] Snakeform
    [2x] Sword of Fire/Ice

Total: 15 Cards

At First Glance; Choice Reasoning
    This was the list I played that placed 3rd out of 59 players. As great as the list worked out, there are some visible flaws (but we'll get to that in a while). First and foremost, here is an analysis of each card and what purpose it serves in the deck:

Llanowar Elves
    Well, what is there to say about this creature that hasn't already been said. For his cost to effectiveness comparison, he is extraordinarily useful in the most critical of circumstances. Most people argue that, perhaps, cards such as Birds of Paradise or Noble Hierarch would work better because of their inherent flying or exalted utilities. This might be true in some instances, but in most cases, Llanowar Elves (or Fyndhorn Elves, if you choose so) can deal one point of damage to anything it blocks without having to be tapped. Creatures such as Goblin Lackey and Dark Confidant remain on the defensive until you are fully prepared to make even more things happen with acceleration.

Elvish Spirit Guide
    Fact of the matter is, Elvish Spirit Guide seems more useful as a dormant counter for Daze rather than acceleration. To be sure, E.S.G. has the ability to help power out first turn devastation such as Trinisphere, Chalice set at one, etc. Because of the importance of being able to do these things (and that it remains a 2/2 body if need be), it is imperative to include such a multilateral and strategical wonder to the overall strategy of the deck.

Chalice of the Void
    It might be difficult to comprehend why a card with such a permanent capability such as countering lower-cost spells would find its way into an archetype hellbent on playing creatures to begin with. The beauty of Chalice is that is punishes so many other decks for running cards at premium prices. You have the ability to set it at whatever you choose, against whatever you're specifically playing. It is a permanent control element that in most cases cannot be dealt with in game one's where it can mean the difference between winning and losing. Against Aether Vial on the play, case in point.

Tarmogoyf
    It might not seem like there are many ways to get Tarmogoyf big in a hurry, but that proved to be a fallacy at the big event. Fact is, green does have few ways to deal with other creatures up front. With instants targeting your creatures early, Brainstorms, discard spells, fetches, your Planeswalkers, etc.,Tarmogoyf can get large in a hurry. And with equipment like Jitte and Sword of Fire and Ice he can also be particularly overwhelming. He is the ultimate green creature, and he serves as a good fit as aggro's finest weapon.

River Boa
    This was a difficult choice when I first conceptualized the deck. I don't mean it was hard to include River Boa, it was hard not to include River Boa. He is very efficient: For a colorless and a green, we get a 2/1 Islandwalker with the extra-added bonus of being able to heal itself. I pondered exactly how good he would turn out against Merfolk, and he was excellent, especially with Jitte. Being able to sneak by and maintain a constant lock on an opponent without them being able to block is a strong game-plan in itself. He is a one-man wrecking crew in a deck with cards weaved through the interior dead-set on winning games fast.

Trinisphere
    This card, paired with Wasteland, serves as probably the best lock component in the entire deck. Against combo, you can sit and breathe normally knowing your opponent has been shut down (at least temporarily until you either combo out with Natural Order or drop Chalice, etc.). Against other decks like Zoo and the sort, it causes serious issues with smaller mana bases and can win the game by itself. Half of the spells you run cost three or more anyways, so it should rarely if ever be a backfired problem.

Natural Order
    This is the card you'll need to go find Progenitus; a hideously large creature (10/10) that has protection from everything. It is a well-known fact once the card is successfully cast, your opponent will have their hands full, essentially putting them on a two-turn clock (or less).

Cold-Eyed Selkie
    Without being too fervent here, I can't really say I liked Selkie that much here. I hardly ever saw it in action at the tournament, so to say he was good is very misleading. For what he does, he is outstanding. His cost to power ratio remained an issue, and we'll discuss why later.

Umezawa's Jitte
    When you have the ability to do just about anything from gaining life to pumping creatures through a simple artifact, you know you're in good shape. Jitte is a fantastic card that works wonders in combat. You're more apt to force an opponent into contemplating their next move (and subsequently causing errors) than they would normally be used to doing once a creature equipped with Jitte goes to combat. Very effective.

Garruk Wildspeaker
    Garruk is the heart and soul of this deck. For what he is able to do, he can get just about anything going. Being able to get creatures and untap lands to cast more spells is critical when you consider how important it is to overwhelm an opponent. He can hit play realistically as early as turn two. If he does, that could be the game-breaker. Use your E.S.G.'s to protect him off the hard-cast to counter-act Daze. This could potentially leave your opponent with one mana less in play and you being able to go nuts.

Wickerbough Elder
    The more and more I play this creature, the more and more I want more. Unless an opponent has an absurd amount of land in play to cast and activate both Pernicious Deed or Vedalkan Shackles, you have essentially created a serious problem where an opponent now has to wait until it is absolutely necessary to cast either of those spells. In addition to that, he wrecks Counterbalance single-handedly. At four to cast, he is a little harder to counter. Once becoming a 4/4, he can stand toe-to-toe with just about every other relevant creature in the format and win. If a situation ever arose where you absolutely, positively needed to remove one of your own artifacts from play, he can do that too.

Progenitus
    The ultimate win condition with Natural Order. Once he hits play, the game is generally over.

Wasteland
    A very useful land capable of shutting down an opponent's ability to cast key spells. Under Trinisphere, this can often flat-out win you the game. It kills Factories and Mutavaults; a definite plus.

Pendelhaven
    The one card in definite question. Is it necessary to include this with so few 1/1's? And even then, two of them? What happened here was I found myself wanting to draw more off Selkie because I actually played Selkie in the deck. In my newest version (which I'll post later), he is now defunct - and so is this land which completely opens me up to Waste and Moon hate.

Dryad Arbor
    The only one in the deck proved to be important when I needed it most, and not so important when I was lower on land. I think the trade-off is worth it and a singleton to supplement Natural Order would continue to work just fine.

Choke
    It beats out Tsunami because an opponent may recover from Tsunami quicker than you think. This is also very easily cast-able within the first two turns. Once it hits play, it forces an opponent to weigh their options very early in the bout.

Snakeform
    With green's inability to generate spot-removal, I found this to be a nice touch that even cantrips. It kills just about everything relevant in the format when you have blockers on the table. Green doesn't have many flyers, so being able to stop Tombstalker is good as well. It also shrinks opposing Goyfs, making yours live and plucking a card to boot.

Tormod's Crypt
    A lot of people would argue for Relic of Progenitus over Tormod's Crypt. I, personally, would like to keep my Goyfs at a relatively good power and toughness, thank you very much. At zero cost, I think it is still the best graveyard hate ever printed.

Sword of Fire and Ice
    After what happened with this card this past weekend, it would be hard to argue against its usefulness in such a critical situation. I can't say enough about how this card rocks against decks incapable to handle it once it goes active. It is devastating and it really can turn the tides and win you games. It also provides card advantage to ridiculous levels and intercepts cards like Humility.

How the Deck Plays
    I'd really like to point out how smoothly Mono Green Chalice Aggro plays out. There was rarely a time I didn't like my opening hand because of the acceleration factor.

Applying pressure early with Trinisphere or Chalice can keep an opponent off his or her heels. If you have either of these artifacts out, chances are you've slowed your opponent down some enough where you can begin establishing your own threats like River Boa and Tarmogoyf before Garruk hits the table.

Natural Order is where the power lies. If you can get this spell off (and you'd be surprised how often you do), you have an excellent chance of winning the game. Progenitus is next to impossible to kill.

Use your Jitte counters to full-effectiveness. Know when it is necessary to remove them and for what. You have some evasive creatures like River Boa, so take advantage of that whenever you can. The deck plays pretty straight-forward. Just play to the state of the game and know what to play when you're either on the play or drawing first.

What Makes Mono Green Chalice Aggro Worth Playing?

This deck has an uncanny capability of being able to get a good match against just about every competitive deck in the format. Unlike decks like Dragon Stompy, Mono Green Chalice Aggro has the ability to put a 10/10 Protection from Everything into play without the ridiculous amount of card disadvantage and fragile mana base these other decks are susceptible to.

Keep in mind, you have the ability to do a lot of things with this deck without having to over-extend your hand. The sideboard is generally wide open because of the answers main-deck (cards like Wickerbough Elder). You can: Stand toe-to-toe with the best aggro, wreck and hose Control, Chalice and life-gain off Jitte against Mountains and opposing Forests, punk Plains and Swamps by shutting down cards like Swords, Path, Enlightened Tutor, Figure of Destiny, Orim's Chant, Duress, Thoughtseize, Dark Ritual, etc. Chalice by itself effectively shuts down these cards without having to do any additional work. Pretty darn effective.

I highly recommend this deck to anyone who really enjoys playing aggro-control variants. I would be hesitant to say the deck is in its infancy due to the copious amounts of previous decks listed in the older forums on the board. This current version was battle-tested and tweaked to fit the minimum standards necessary to combat every viable deck in the format. It has an answer to almost everything, which makes it so multilateral. There are cards like Tarmogoyf and Wasteland which are essentially universal in the nature of Legacy.

With some more work, this deck will truly wreak havoc as it did in Binghamton this past weekend. It disposed of some of the most prolific decks currently in the format, including: Ichorid, T.E.S., Merfolk, and Counter-Top. By getting it over that hump, I hope I've convinced at least some people that this archetype was just waiting for the right time to explode onto the scene, and I capitalized on the opportunity.

Now let's make this work, together.

**Note: More to come, including: Match-up Analysis and Breakdown, Mulligan Strategy, and New and Alternate Card Choices.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Re: [Deck] Mono Green Chalice Aggro

Apparently we need yet another thread for this. In any case, congratulations on your placing.

I've been playing GCA (As I'm calling for it to be referred to from now on, because Elephant Stompy's a stupid name and the entire "Green Chalice Aggro" thing is a pain to type) for awhile now. My build's a bit away from yours.

I think Loaming Shaman is a godsend in this deck. I also can't ever imagine not running Briarhorn. It's such a monster. I don't maindeck Jitte. And Cold-Eyed Selkie is, has always been, and will continue to be terrible. There's no way I'll ever agree that running them is a good idea.

I do agree that Green Chalice Aggro has a fantastic matchup against most of the format right now, though.

The most interesting thing that sets this build apart from others, I think, is the lack of Chrome Mox, which is probably a good idea. I've been on the fence about it, but for the most part I've found that the mana elves function much better.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Mega Shark VS. Giant Octopus!
    Jan 2009

Are you sure you want to run snakeform as opposed to artifact removal? Yeah, it is a nice combat trick, but there are good artifact solutions to the same problem. Powder keg perhaps?
    feefox: each card in hand!!!!
    ridicolous
    only fortune

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by bowvamp View Post
    Are you sure you want to run snakeform as opposed to artifact removal? Yeah, it is a nice combat trick, but there are good artifact solutions to the same problem. Powder keg perhaps?
    I too, actually, have been running Snakeform in my board. (Although I run a full four Grips in board.) I was kind of surprised/impressed anyone else came up with it. It's really kind of good. It's an incredible combat trick and it cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Congratulations on your impressive finish, Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    You can: Stand toe-to-toe with the best aggro, wreck and hose Control, Chalice and life-gain off Jitte against Mountains and opposing Forests, punk Plains and Swamps by shutting down cards like Swords, Path, Enlightened Tutor, Figure of Destiny, Orim's Chant, Duress, Thoughtseize, Dark Ritual, etc. Chalice by itself effectively shuts down these cards without having to do any additional work. Pretty darn effective.
    I really like your card selections to make Merfolk a more winnable matchup. Your meta seems to have few red-based aggro decks and I would like to point out that tournament competitive aggro decks wreck this deck nearly as hard as they did to your Imperial Painter. Practically all your threats can be solved by each removal run by Goyf Sligh/Zoo. Your only relevant cards against them are Chalice, Umezawa's Jíttes, Tarmogoyf, Natural Order, Trinisphere and Wasteland, some of which are situational, whereas all of their nonland cards exert pressure independently.

Thank you for the compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    Your only relevant cards against them are Chalice, Umezawa's Jíttes, Tarmogoyf, Natural Order, Trinisphere and Wasteland, some of which are situational, whereas all of their nonland cards exert pressure independently.
    That's more than a third of a deck. To consider them the only answer to decks like Zoo and Goyf Sligh is an understatement. This deck eats those other decks alive with those cards; that is why they are included in the main list.

Csrds like Powder Keg might have a more difficult time killing, oh, say, Tombstalker or Exalted Angel, don't you think? When you have the ability to shrink an opponent's creature (essentially killing it) and then draw a card, you put yourself in a good position to recapture or maintain board control. This can put your creatures over the top.

There are few artifact removal spells in the format that can single-handedly knock out creatures as big as those without killing your own as well. With Jitte and Sword of Fire and Ice to supplement Snakeform, you can not only power through your opponent's side, but you can even use those equipment effects (i.e. a -1/-1 counter from Jitte and the two damage from Sword) to knock those creatures off.

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

Diggin the primer. I thought you were gonna put ohran viper or scryb ranger in the place of selkie though.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Quote Originally Posted by beastman View Post
    Diggin the primer. I thought you were gonna put ohran viper or scryb ranger in the place of selkie though.
    I was testing that this past weekend. I ended up subbing out Cold-Eyed Selkie and tried Scryb Ranger in its place. It ended up working moderately well; much better than Selkie, anyways. His ability to dodge blue creatures, having Flash and flying, dodge Chalice, and being able to Quirion Ranger is really good, actually.

Ohran Viper is good, don't get me wrong. I just haven't tried it enough yet to sell it to myself on a list that he can find his way into.

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

One of the biggest problems you were having in testing, with us at leats, was getting stuck on green mana. Thats the main reason I believe that ranger is needed in the deck.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Quote Originally Posted by beastman View Post
    One of the biggest problems you were having in testing, with us at leats, was getting stuck on green mana. Thats the main reason I believe that ranger is needed in the deck.
    If he ends up finding his way into the deck, I would really like to get Sword of Fire and Ice going in the main again. This would free up some slots in the board.

I also am thinking about upping the count of Wickerbough Elder to three or four. He is just so good.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Glad to see someone else care about this deck.

Stuff I like about your list:

ESG, Chalice, Natural Order: Obvious choices. I haven't seen a recent list without these cards.

Tarmogoyf: Thank you. I don't get the pathological aversion to this guy in here. He's the best beater in green, and he's fantastic in our bad matchups. Most of the time your opponent does the work for you, and when they don't you're probably winning anyway.

Garruk Wildspeaker: He's just fantastic. I run four since I almost always want to see one and he wrecks control. Being able to play multiple creatures in a turn while building up for an overrun is crazy good. Even if you just make three beasts and let him die he rocks.

Interesting choices:

Llanowar Elves: Eh, I haven't been a fan since they're small and bad with Chalice, but since both you and Tacosnape love them, I'll have to give it another look. What really stands out with this decision is the lack of Chrome Mox. Llanowar Elves may not be card disadvantage, but not running Chrome Mox makes your first turns a lot worse. I've hated Chrome Mox for a long time, so I'll have to give these a shot.

Wickerbough Elder: I've never liked him because of his mana cost. 2GG is hard for us to make, and he's only a 3/3 until you come up with another green mana, provided there's even a target for him. It's awesome that he deals with Deed and Shackles, but Natural Order -> Progenitus lets you ignore these cards for less mana while killing your opponent faster.

Between Krosan Grip and Natural Order, these cards aren't much of a problem for me. Just saying...

Stuff I don't like:

Cold-Eyed Selkie, Pendelhaven: You already said you don't like him, so I won't belabor the point. 1GG can be tricky, and he's small and horrible against anything not running Islands.

Umezawa's Jitte, Sword of Fire and Ice: Ever since Progenitus was printed, I haven't liked equipment in the deck. I ran equipment to get around creatures and kill the opponent faster. Progenitus does both of these things better.

I understand you built your list to be extra strong against Islands, and equpiment is a great way to beat Merfolk/Thresh, but I haven't missed it since I cut it. It's expensive and slow, plus we already roll aggro and have numerous weapons agaisnt control.

Trinisphere/Wasteland: I'd only run Trinisphere maindeck if you can back it up with land destruction. You've got a lower mana curve than my list, but I have to believe you'd be better off with some City of Traitors. Tapping Ancient Tombs over and over gets painful, especially with Garruk out.

I'm also not a fan of running Wasteland as a deck's only mana destruction, Trinisphere or no.

Thoughts on Trinisphere from the Faerie Stompy thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I see. So you're talking about playing Trinisphere on your second turn after the opponent has had one or two turns. Trinisphere can be useful then, but in all likelihood your opponent will drop land number three and keep playing. Trinisphere will buy you a minimum of one turn if you went first, but it costs you one turn to play it. Sometimes your opponent will get stuck on two land and you'll win the game because of it --- I've had that happen. But even in the early game Trinisphere buys you an average of one turn and it costs you one turn to play it. Turn one on the play Trinisphere buys you a minimum of two turns, which makes it a fantastic turn one play, but even one turn later it loses much of its power versus most decks in Legacy. I think it's a fantastic sideboard card if you have a lot of Threshold, storm, and maybe Team America in your metagame, but that's all.
    Trinisphere is a terrible, terrible card versus Merfolk. Trinisphere is awful against any deck running Aether Vial, because they'll play creatures with Vial and use their land for other spells. Merfolk also runs Wasteland, and having a Tomb or City wasted turns Trinisphere into their best friend instead of yours.
    I boarded Trinisphere against Zoo for a while. Trinisphere was almost useless. Zoo runs around 20 land, and while Trinisphere slows them slightly, one spell per turn is more than enough for them to beat us most of the time.
    All my experience with Chalice Aggro tells me Trinisphere is a sideboard card at best. It doesn't do enough most games, and it's a terrible topdeck.

River Boa: Once again, I get that you built your deck to take out Islands, but I stopped running this guy when I stopped running equipment. He can muck up the ground and sneak in with equipment, but he's not worth it without the equipment. I think there are better cards versus the meta at large.

Dryad Arbor: You can't use it right away, and it can be killed by Pernicious Deed and creature removal. I think that's going to matter more often than you'll encounter corner cases where you don't have any other green creature for Natural Order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Congrats on your placing. I'm glad we have a thread for this again. Then again, anyone can have good matchups and rank a deck. But will this deck stand the test of time.. only time will tell

You run Llanower elves and jitte in a stompy deck, seems very odd. I just don't see the synergy with llanowers, is the mana accel needed? IMO no. Its taking the place of better choices like Loaming Shaman, Briarhorn, Tanglewire, etc.
    The fact of the matter, for a stompy deck he's a lousy first turn play in terms of effectiveness, and he's a dead late game draw = worthless. Not good in a deck based on power and speed.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Jackass View Post
    Congrats on your placing. I'm glad we have a thread for this again. Then again, anyone can have good matchups and rank a deck. But will this deck stand the test of time.. only time will tell

You run Llanower elves and jitte in a stompy deck, seems very odd. I just don't see the synergy with llanowers, is the mana accel needed? IMO no. Its taking the place of better choices like Loaming Shaman, Briarhorn, Tanglewire, etc.
    The fact of the matter, for a stompy deck he's a lousy first turn play in terms of effectiveness, and he's a dead late game draw = worthless. Not good in a deck based on power and speed.
    Jitte is pretty common in Stompy decks. Llanowar is most likely there since this deck does run Natural Order. The elf is much better than Chrome Mox in this deck. Also, the mana acceleration is needed. You contradict yourself multiple times talking about speed and power but then wanting to cut down on acceleration. Llanowar Elf is an amazing turn 1 play.

Sep 2004
    MG

Was there ever a thought of adding in some kind of draw like harmonize or even sylvan library to help generate more advantage?

I know you said this isnt a stax varient but would adding crucible be a possibility? Wastelock can win games on its own pending on the matchup and the situation. I know its not as strong as it would be in a tradional stax deck but could be an possibility

Quote Originally Posted by B is for Big Job View Post
    Was there ever a thought of adding in some kind of draw like harmonize or even sylvan library to help generate more advantage?

I know you said this isnt a stax varient but would adding crucible be a possibility? Wastelock can win games on its own pending on the matchup and the situation. I know its not as strong as it would be in a tradional stax deck but could be an possibility
    I mulled over the possibility of Harmonize in the deck's early incarnations. What I found was that it worked fine but it gave me a few issues against aggro decks which were begging me to tap out without being able to play anything relevant. And without Witness, I am kind of hard-pressed to believe Harmonize is anything special.

Crucible of Worlds was another thought. I originally had three in a more Stax-oriented list. Wasteland is here to supplement your creatures and put your opponent in a world of trouble in the esrly stages of the match. If they cannot recover soon after you drop a Tarmogoyf or an equipped dude, then they'll find themselves severely backed against the wall.

As far as Trinisphere in the board goes: No, not for me, anyways. I understand this card's usefulness and I'd be foolish not to play any less than four in a deck solely designed to pin players under a light mana base and make them find answers to your threats very quickly. Trinisphere punishes decks also playing Daze, which sets an opponent clearly back a turn and more open to hurt from Waste because of the makeshift Time Walk.

Is it a dead draw later in the game? Perhaps. But assuming you play one early enough, do you think an opponent will let one stick? I drew a second one against T.E.S. and it was enough to seal the game. I'm not saying having more than one is always ideal; I'm simply stating there are benefits to playing Trinisphere in the main and my meta call was correct. I ended up playing against T.E.S., Counter-Top, and Ichorid (x2). Trinisphere was important in every one of those matches.

You're right, though: Against Merfolk, not so much. But that is the trade-off for a level-up on other decks that this deck can just take a hit for; you have plenty of answers to Merfolk in the deck. Trinisphere just happens to be a card you won't necessarily always want to play against them (even though Choke makes it infinitely better). But to sub out four (moderately negligent) cards when your deck is already tailored to handle blue aggro in general shouldn't make a world of difference. You already have a good match against Merfolk and with Trinisphere your match-ups against other decks (like Ichorid and Thresh variants) improves greatly - even again with the assistance of Wasteland.

May 2007
    Rochester

sphere of resistance/winter orb could be another way to head with the deck although most likely not as good. Also Tangle Wire could be better than trinisphere in the right meta (storm matchup gets worst). I like the deck although it has some awkward cards at the moment

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Jitte is pretty common in Stompy decks. Llanowar is most likely there since this deck does run Natural Order. The elf is much better than Chrome Mox in this deck. Also, the mana acceleration is needed. You contradict yourself multiple times talking about speed and power but then wanting to cut down on acceleration. Llanowar Elf is an amazing turn 1 play.
    I got you, but llanower elf isn't synergetic AT ALL with stompy. BAM, turn 1 chalice. Worthless. BAM, turn1 trinisphere, worthless. Stompy is about playing around 3cc, this card does not belong. If you're so worried about accel, use wood elf or something at least its more synergetic with Garruk and doesn't conflict with your spells. Jitte can be used but too many 2cc with Chalice start to conflict once again. If you need to sac to NO, you've got garruk and cards like Call of the Herd. Llanower is great in mono green, not stompy imo. /endrant

Feb 2007
    Azle, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Jackass View Post
    I got you, but llanower elf isn't synergetic AT ALL with stompy. BAM, turn 1 chalice. Worthless. BAM, turn1 trinisphere, worthless. Stompy is about playing around 3cc, this card does not belong. If you're so worried about accel, use wood elf or something at least its more synergetic with Garruk and doesn't conflict with your spells. Jitte can be used but too many 2cc with Chalice start to conflict once again. If you need to sac to NO, you've got garruk and cards like Call of the Herd. Llanower is great in mono green, not stompy imo. /endrant
    But how often are you going to have the turn 1 chalace or trinisphere play and the mana elves. Llanowar helps in the early game and lets you keep hands that you would otherwise want to mull, or speeds up hands without the proper accel for chalice or trinisphere, or jitte or natural order or whatever. The synergy with the rest of the deck makes up for the times that you can power out the disruption artifacts on turn one.
    Giant Growth - not just lurking anymore

Closet noob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    One does not simply make a Radley. Its bright green gates are guarded by more than just naiveness. There is idiocy there that does not sleep. The great derailer is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with smilies, awful grammar and LOLs. The very words you read are a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand Admins could you do this. It is folly.
    Team Battletoads
    (not affiliated with combat amphibians)

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

You should stop looking to this deck as an elephant stompy or dragon stompy type of deck It doesn't even run chrome moxen and city of traitors the deck is different and it's curve is lower. Llanowar elves do have synergie with the deck look better and test it out!

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Proponents of the Anusien/Clark Can't-Be-Bothered-To-Test School of Legacy should not be granted much creedence. I'm curious if any testing or consideration went into Vexing Shusher in the Selkie spot? Being able to ignore YOUR countermagic as well as theirs seems like a decent return on investment (and you get an equipment carrying bear as well). Furthermore, it necessitates removal from a deck wanting to counter your gamebreaking spells (like Natural Order) making the rest of your important guys somewhat safer.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Thread Information