Page 365 of 389 FirstFirst ... 265315355361362363364365366367368369375 ... LastLast
Results 7,281 to 7,300 of 7773

Thread: [Deck] The Rock

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Re: [Deck] The Rock

Why do you pack a Dryad Arbor in what is, as far as I can see, a Zenith-free deck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

There are 7 green fetches in the list. I've been satisfied with the idea in my build thus far. Yes, Zenith makes it better. No, it's not an absolute requirement for Arbor to be playable.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    There are 7 green fetches in the list. I've been satisfied with the idea in my build thus far. Yes, Zenith makes it better. No, it's not an absolute requirement for Arbor to be playable.

The value you can get with the single Arbor is pretty large while the cost is extremely low. Being able to flashback cabal therapy or chump block with a get bland is pretty huge. If you ever get to counter an edict effect, which I have never got to do, I think you just win the game on the spot.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

It's a pretty big deal to be able to tutor a body up eot after they board wipe when you have equipment on board, especially since they *never* see it coming.

Having said all this, 1x GSZ is generally a pretty awesome inclusion in a deck like this for many reasons. If you have room, at least consider it if you run arbor.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    It's a pretty big deal to be able to tutor a body up eot after they board wipe when you have equipment on board, especially since they *never* see it coming.

Having said all this, 1x GSZ is generally a pretty awesome inclusion in a deck like this for many reasons. If you have room, at least consider it if you run arbor.

Currently I am not playing any equipment and with my 3 slots I could go 2x GSX and a Scooze but currently I do not have a GSZ package. I am going for the Dark Confidant + Sylvan Library CA plan, and am trying to find a suitable utility package.

Instead of a GSZ package, could I do 1-3 Crop Rotations and some utility lands? Crop rotation would combo well with tracker and Loam....

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Thanks for the comments!

1. Why not more Liliana?
    A big problem that I have with GB decks, and most tier 2 decks in general, is that they durdle too hard. I love Liliana but my problem is with the cards that we can use to break the Liliana symmetry. We need a usable GB utility card that can make Liliana not symmetrical and I think that Life from the Loam is just durdles too hard in this current list. I think the right number might be 2 when it is all said and done because I think she is a house.

2. Why no Green Sun's Zenith?
    GSZ is another card that I absolutely love, especially as a 4 of. When I build traditional Junk I start with 4 DRS and 4 GSZ and go from there. With this deck as a more old school "Rock" list, I felt card advantage is more important than card selection so I went with the full set of Bobs and the triple Sylvan Library. Also, I am valuing the power of Goyf + Discard in the combo match ups.

3. Have you considered a second Garruk Relentless?
    No. I think he is a good option in a lot of match ups but as a 4 drop that grinds I don't think seeing multiples is something that we want.
    1. I never played anything to break the Liliana symmetry. I think she's good enough without it, especially against fait creature decks. On an empty board, she just dominates.

2. Perhaps you could replace the Unearths and maybe one or two Eternal Witness with Zeniths. Zenith for Witness still gives you the recursion and card advantage you want, but adds flexibility and makes Dryad Arbor better.
    You mentioned wanting to try Noxious Revival, but that's card disadvantage, so I'd recommend Zenith-Witness over that.

3. That's fair. Garruk isn't good in multiples. You won't draw that many of you play only two, but it will come up eventually. Besides, if you add Zenith, the deck is already pretty stacked. A quick draft got me to a list like this:

1 Arbor
    4 Deathrite
    4 Goyf
    4 Confidant
    2 Eternal Witness
    1 Reclamation Sage /16

4 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Fatal Push
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Liliana
    1 Garruk Relentless /23

4 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    2 Forest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Wasteland /21

I've left out the Phyrexian Tower, because I doubt it'll add enough to compensate for the fact that it only produces colourless mana. For the discard package I am tempted to remove the Therapies and go for a fourth Hymn and a third Lily.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    1. I never played anything to break the Liliana symmetry. I think she's good enough without it, especially against fait creature decks. On an empty board, she just dominates.

2. Perhaps you could replace the Unearths and maybe one or two Eternal Witness with Zeniths. Zenith for Witness still gives you the recursion and card advantage you want, but adds flexibility and makes Dryad Arbor better.
    You mentioned wanting to try Noxious Revival, but that's card disadvantage, so I'd recommend Zenith-Witness over that.

3. That's fair. Garruk isn't good in multiples. You won't draw that many of you play only two, but it will come up eventually. Besides, if you add Zenith, the deck is already pretty stacked. A quick draft got me to a list like this:

1 Arbor
    4 Deathrite
    4 Goyf
    4 Confidant
    2 Eternal Witness
    1 Reclamation Sage /16

4 Thoughtseize
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Fatal Push
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Liliana
    1 Garruk Relentless /23

4 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    2 Forest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Wasteland /21

I've left out the Phyrexian Tower, because I doubt it'll add enough to compensate for the fact that it only produces colourless mana. For the discard package I am tempted to remove the Therapies and go for a fourth Hymn and a third Lily.
    The tower was to ensure that late game against Miracles, they could not just terminus/swords everything away but I also have no qualms to cutting it.

You traded Library for Zenith, I have played with Zenith since printing and am trying to see what trips Library can do. I have 3 open utility slots, I could easily go 1-2 Zenith, 1-2 targets. Which would take me to:

Creatures(17)
    3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tireless Tracker
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Dryad Arbor

Discard(8)
    3 Thoughtsieze
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach

Removal(7)
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Abrupt Decay

Card Selection(5)
    3 Sylvan Library
    1 Life from the Loam
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

Planeswalkers(2)
    1 Lilliana of the Veil
    1 Garruk Relentless

Lands(21)
    2 Swamps
    2 Forests
    4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Phyrexian Tower

Sideboard(15)
    3 Lost Legacy
    3 Diabolic Edict
    3 Engineered Explosives
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Dismember
    3 Choke

The reason I liked Noxious Revival is that most decks are vulnerable to certain cards we play but not all of them. Double hymn, double therapy(or triple), double decay/push or just re buying a dude can be game breaking especially with Library/Confidant card advantage. In more corner cases, re-buying sideboard cards can also be game breaking.

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

I like your earlier tested draft more. That most recent version looks to me like wants to be a high CC agro deck. Or playing Eva Green and allowing your opponent to start with a Trinisphere and a land.

Zenith seems wrong with your list. Especially as a 3-of. MAYBE as a 2-of you could pull it off but, I don't like it in that most recent list. At 3cc you'd rather be able to be doing something useful. Unfortunately, there aren't that many good places to play Zenith as a core part of the deck anymore.

If you do use it, I'd suggest diversifying your options at each value so you can act (pro- and re- actively) to your opponent.
    Tinkering with some crafting theory. Here

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by damionblackgear View Post
    I like your earlier tested draft more. That most recent version looks to me like wants to be a high CC agro deck. Or playing Eva Green and allowing your opponent to start with a Trinisphere and a land.

Zenith seems wrong with your list. Especially as a 3-of. MAYBE as a 2-of you could pull it off but, I don't like it in that most recent list. At 3cc you'd rather be able to be doing something useful. Unfortunately, there aren't that many good places to play Zenith as a core part of the deck anymore.

If you do use it, I'd suggest diversifying your options at each value so you can act (pro- and re- actively) to your opponent.
    The first draft was GSZ based, then I went to Eternal Witness and Unearth, now Tireless Tracker and Noxious Revival.

I am super happy with the Trackers but cannot seem to fill the last three spots....

Creatures(16)
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tireless Tracker
    1 Dryad Arbor

Discard(8)
    3 Thoughtsieze
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach

Removal(7)
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Abrupt Decay

Card Selection(7)
    3 Sylvan Library
    1 Life from the Loam
    3 Noxious Revival--------Three Open Spots

Planeswalkers(2)
    1 Lilliana of the Veil
    1 Garruk Relentless

Lands(21)
    3 Swamps
    3 Forests
    4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard(15)
    3 Lost Legacy
    2 Diabolic Edict
    3 Engineered Explosives
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dismember
    1 Fatal Push
    3 Choke

What would you suggest Daimon? The utility lands are also in the air for what I want them to be doing. A savannah for teeg/hatebears out of the board is an option, but so is literally every other lane package.

Option 1:

3 Crop Rotations

1 Dark Depths
    1 Thespian Stage

Bog, Canopy also options
    So you can fetch wastelands or missing combo pieces.

Option 2:

1-3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1-3 Utility Creatures

Witness, Teeg, Scooze, Sage

Option 3:

2 Unearths
    1 Witness

Cycle when nothing in the yard, brings back all creatures in deck

Option 4:

Removal/Sweepers

The last 3 cards are utility slots that I cant seem to fill without testing. I really like the Revivals but the Crop Rotations also have synergy with the rest of the deck and the tireless trackers.

Option 5:
    2-3 More Lilliana's
    She is super utility and has game against every deck in legacy.

Bonus: The revivals make Lost Legacy out of the board much better as you can essentially run 3 extra copies once you find the first. In most cases, the second legacy is GG.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think a liliana or two is needed. This deck can't beat a resolved true name it seems like. Or something. Maybe even just like a jitte or something. Or if you wanna get real deep you can play chrome mox or diamond for turn 1 2 drops which is pretty sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I think a liliana or two is needed. This deck can't beat a resolved true name it seems like. Or something. Maybe even just like a jitte or something. Or if you wanna get real deep you can play chrome mox or diamond for turn 1 2 drops which is pretty sweet
    I think I am going to run out the 3 noxious revival at my local this week, if true name is an issue maybe I mainboard 3 golgari charms or just up the Lilliana count above 1. I know I don't see a lot of true names where I play.

Edit: any love for collective brutality?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

You traded Library for Zenith.
    I forgot Library. That's a bit stupid.
    That'll be +2 Library, -2 Therapy.
    I was wondering why I had space for those...

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I forgot Library. That's a bit stupid.
    That'll be +2 Library, -2 Therapy.
    I was wondering why I had space for those...
    Why no love for Cabal Therapy? Running plenty of creatures and thought size allows us to not cast it blind every time. Seems like it fits in well with the discard package, I think the first discard I would cut is hymn as He list is heavy on two drops as it is.

I could go -3 hymn, +1 thoughtsieze, +1 Cabal Therapy, +1 GSZ target

Creatures(17)
    3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Tireless Tracker
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Dryad Arbor

Discard(7)
    4 Thoughtsieze
    3 Cabal Therapy

Removal(7)
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Abrupt Decay

Card Selection(6)
    3 Sylvan Library
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

Planeswalkers(2)
    1 Lilliana of the Veil
    1 Garruk Relentless

Lands(21)
    2 Swamps
    2 Forests
    4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Phyrexian Tower

Sideboard(15)
    3 Lost Legacy
    3 Diabolic Edict
    3 Engineered Explosives
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Eternal Witness
    3 Choke

I kinda dig this list.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I think I am going to run out the 3 noxious revival at my local this week, if true name is an issue maybe I mainboard 3 golgari charms or just up the Lilliana count above 1. I know I don't see a lot of true names where I play.

Edit: any love for collective brutality?
    Someone was recommending me that card as well tonight at locals. I'm going to try jamming that card and see how I like it.

I ended up going 3-1 with GB Pile, my only changes to the list that I previously posted was -1 Bayou, +1 Treetop Village. Playing around with the deck made me realize how weak we actually are to planeswalkers, i'm not sure however if adding a manland is just better than having something like pulse maindeck.

Beating BUG Delver (2-0), UR Painter (2-0) and Grixis Delver (2-0 but this wasn't really games more like turn 1 removal + wasteland both games) and losing to D&T (0-2). I think the D&T matchup was a combination of me punting and me drawing really poorly as I got stuck on 3 lands in both games. I know that this is still pretty limited testing but i'll concur with lavafrogg in that the deck is more than playable taking away the white splash. I think the biggest thing you are losing is KoTR and the ability to crop rotate every turn. I'm not really sure how to remedy that in my list other than running more crop rotations. Between 7-8 removal spells for most creatures played in legacy you should be able to handle Angler and other creatures just with either Liliana or giant Goyfs/Trackers.

1 Cabal Pit
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Bayou
    1 Treetop Village
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket

4 Mox Diamond

1 Sylvan Library

3 Liliana of the Veil

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Eternal Witness
    2 Tireless Tracker

4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Fatal Push
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Crop Rotation

Sideboard:
    2 Choke
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Crop Rotation
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Ghost Quarter
    3 Leyline of the Void

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Have you tried blinding the opponents with your pimp? Works for me.

Thank you for resurrecting, I'm enjoying the reading.

How's everyone been?

-Matt

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Someone was recommending me that card as well tonight at locals. I'm going to try jamming that card and see how I like it.

I ended up going 3-1 with GB Pile, my only changes to the list that I previously posted was -1 Bayou, +1 Treetop Village. Playing around with the deck made me realize how weak we actually are to planeswalkers, i'm not sure however if adding a manland is just better than having something like pulse maindeck.

Beating BUG Delver (2-0), UR Painter (2-0) and Grixis Delver (2-0 but this wasn't really games more like turn 1 removal + wasteland both games) and losing to D&T (0-2). I think the D&T matchup was a combination of me punting and me drawing really poorly as I got stuck on 3 lands in both games. I know that this is still pretty limited testing but i'll concur with lavafrogg in that the deck is more than playable taking away the white splash. I think the biggest thing you are losing is KoTR and the ability to crop rotate every turn. I'm not really sure how to remedy that in my list other than running more crop rotations. Between 7-8 removal spells for most creatures played in legacy you should be able to handle Angler and other creatures just with either Liliana or giant Goyfs/Trackers.

1 Cabal Pit
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Bayou
    1 Treetop Village
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket

4 Mox Diamond

1 Sylvan Library

3 Liliana of the Veil

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Eternal Witness
    2 Tireless Tracker

4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Fatal Push
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Crop Rotation

Sideboard:
    2 Choke
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Crop Rotation
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Ghost Quarter
    3 Leyline of the Void
    Awesome results!

Do you ever want the 3rd Life from the Loam with all of your "lands matter" cards? also, you have very little disruption for combo.dec are you just giving up on the match up all together? I know it will never be our best match-up but I like to always aim to at least be able to steal a match here and there....

You list just has so much removal and so many wastelands... I don't see how 3 color lists or decks that like to win with creatures can take games from you... unless you punt and get stuck on 3 lands...losing to land issues is one of the main reasons I want to cut white, I feel like most of my losses are to mana base, and not the strategy of the deck being inferior(especially against DnT where if you can establish mana, you most likely win).

On another note, your list seems soft to DnT overall. You play tons of non-basics, lots of cards that cost 3, 2 deluge/1 golgari charm is all you really bring in and you don't have the discard to make them dump their hands into a sweeper. I think Cabal Therapy is AMAZING against non-blue decks as you can strip their hand at will, take vials turn 1 on the play, mom/swords on the draw and you can really mess up their gameplan.

You are also pretty graveyard dependent, which means you derp a lot, more so lowering combo and fast deck win percentages.

These are all just thoughts, I love the list and am looking at my Mox Diamonds right now. When I played GB Aggro Loam I always mox'd into hymn and followed that with a goyf or a confidant.. I loved that deck.

I actually just found the old post in the archives... You will get a kick out of these

// Lands
    4 [ON] Barren Moor
    3 [R] Bayou
    1 [LRW] Forest (2)
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    2 [R] Savannah
    1 [b] Scrubland
    1 [8E] Swamp (4)
    4 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
    3 [TE] Wasteland
    3 [ON] Wooded Foothills

// Creatures
    3 [RAV] Dark Confidant
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    2 [OD] Terravore
    3 [FUT] Tombstalker

// Spells
    3 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (4)
    4 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    4 [SH] Mox Diamond
    4 [b] Swords to Plowshares
    4 [LRW] Thoughtseize

I had a version with Stoneforge Mystic, I added and took away Knight of the Reliquary... Terravore was just better back then when people played Knight decks and graveyard hate wasn't as strong.

These were back in 2011 and I got a pretty bad reception from the Aggro Loam players of the time. I do appreciate that the idea has appeared in tournaments today, maybe I should go back to my roots.

also, that other thread was awesome Hanni, SdeMatt, Finn and Mr. Safety were all involved. I just couldn't play as much back then.

@sdematt- we can't all blind people with our pimped out deck lists...cards are expensive enough as it is! Life is going good for me, we are all just getting old... and still playing legacy!

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Have you tried blinding the opponents with your pimp? Works for me.

Thank you for resurrecting, I'm enjoying the reading.

How's everyone been?

-Matt
    The only pimp that I have is painter stuff. Do I just put in assorted pimp cards and hope for the best?

Awesome results!

Do you ever want the 3rd Life from the Loam with all of your "lands matter" cards? also, you have very little disruption for combo.dec are you just giving up on the match up all together? I know it will never be our best match-up but I like to always aim to at least be able to steal a match here and there....
    Thanks!

The no combo hate is quite a concession to the metagame at my store. It's mostly delver + other non-blue fair deck with a few Br reanimator players. I think that if I was going to an actual tournament I would restructure my sideboard. The sideboard currently is a big work in progress, I just went with the first cards that came to mind. I'm thinking that the best options might be just to play 3-4 hymns in the board and hope that your thoughtseizes, hymns, and style of the deck will get you there otherwise. My local metagame is kind of weird in that we used to have 5+ miracles players show up each week but now we have 0, so i'm not really getting to play out probably one of the biggest matchups. I guess i'll try to hit up some of my miracles friends and see if we can play some games so I can get a feel for the deck in the matchup.

As for the 3rd loam I don't really think I need it. For me loam is just another way to get card advantage so the only time I usually am loaming is if I want to hit a specific land, if i'm looking to wasteland lock or if I have the resources to loam and either cycle or draw some cards with tracker a few times.

You list just has so much removal and so many wastelands... I don't see how 3 color lists or decks that like to win with creatures can take games from you... unless you punt and get stuck on 3 lands...losing to land issues is one of the main reasons I want to cut white, I feel like most of my losses are to mana base, and not the strategy of the deck being inferior(especially against DnT where if you can establish mana, you most likely win).

On another note, your list seems soft to DnT overall. You play tons of non-basics, lots of cards that cost 3, 2 deluge/1 golgari charm is all you really bring in and you don't have the discard to make them dump their hands into a sweeper. I think Cabal Therapy is AMAZING against non-blue decks as you can strip their hand at will, take vials turn 1 on the play, mom/swords on the draw and you can really mess up their gameplan.

You are also pretty graveyard dependent, which means you derp a lot, more so lowering combo and fast deck win percentages.
    My round 1 BUG Delver opponent said the same exact thing about the removal + wasteland plan. One thing I did notice yesterday was that I was mulliganing frequently to find lands, 23 + 4 moxes is probably 1-2 lands too short.

Anyways as for the D&T matchup, I think you're right. They're one of the few decks which actually strain all of our removal spells since basically every threat minus thalia and avenger is something that we have to answer. I think I have a little more than the 2 deluges and 1 charm but I might also be overboarding. I brought the following in:

1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Golgari Charm
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Reclamation Sage

Therapy seems a lot better in your version than mine since i'm not playing unearths but I agree with the general point you're trying to make. You can basically just strip your opponent's hand and on paper your cards are much stronger 1 for 1. I'm a sucker for value but I really don't want to be sacrificing goyfs and bobs to 2 for 1 my opponents.

These are all just thoughts, I love the list and am looking at my Mox Diamonds right now. When I played GB Aggro Loam I always mox'd into hymn and followed that with a goyf or a confidant.. I loved that deck.

I actually just found the old post in the archives... You will get a kick out of these
    My original list was running 4 DRS too but I think with the way that legacy is going you want to have the ability to play haymaker after haymaker in your non-blue decks to just overwhelm your opponents. Mox diamond seemed like the best way of doing that.

Your list looks dope btw, seems like we've come full circle. The more things change the more they stay the same. Hopefully I didn't ramble on...

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    The only pimp that I have is painter stuff. Do I just put in assorted pimp cards and hope for the best?

Thanks!

The no combo hate is quite a concession to the metagame at my store. It's mostly delver + other non-blue fair deck with a few Br reanimator players. I think that if I was going to an actual tournament I would restructure my sideboard. The sideboard currently is a big work in progress, I just went with the first cards that came to mind. I'm thinking that the best options might be just to play 3-4 hymns in the board and hope that your thoughtseizes, hymns, and style of the deck will get you there otherwise. My local metagame is kind of weird in that we used to have 5+ miracles players show up each week but now we have 0, so i'm not really getting to play out probably one of the biggest matchups. I guess i'll try to hit up some of my miracles friends and see if we can play some games so I can get a feel for the deck in the matchup.

As for the 3rd loam I don't really think I need it. For me loam is just another way to get card advantage so the only time I usually am loaming is if I want to hit a specific land, if i'm looking to wasteland lock or if I have the resources to loam and either cycle or draw some cards with tracker a few times.

My round 1 BUG Delver opponent said the same exact thing about the removal + wasteland plan. One thing I did notice yesterday was that I was mulliganing frequently to find lands, 23 + 4 moxes is probably 1-2 lands too short.

Anyways as for the D&T matchup, I think you're right. They're one of the few decks which actually strain all of our removal spells since basically every threat minus thalia and avenger is something that we have to answer. I think I have a little more than the 2 deluges and 1 charm but I might also be overboarding. I brought the following in:

1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Toxic Deluge
    1 Golgari Charm
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Reclamation Sage

Therapy seems a lot better in your version than mine since i'm not playing unearths but I agree with the general point you're trying to make. You can basically just strip your opponent's hand and on paper your cards are much stronger 1 for 1. I'm a sucker for value but I really don't want to be sacrificing goyfs and bobs to 2 for 1 my opponents.

My original list was running 4 DRS too but I think with the way that legacy is going you want to have the ability to play haymaker after haymaker in your non-blue decks to just overwhelm your opponents. Mox diamond seemed like the best way of doing that.

Your list looks dope btw, seems like we've come full circle. The more things change the more they stay the same. Hopefully I didn't ramble on...
    I think the 3rd loam is almost needed, it makes so much of your list tick, also, you kind of have a little bit of all of our options; would it be beneficial to focus the deck a little?

Okay,

Went 4-0 tonight at a weekly, which doesn't say much... but is better than 0-4.

New draft to the much hated GB Rock list, the first draft was further up the page.

I started with the best GB library manipulation/card advantage engine I could find and went from there.

Creatures(16)
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Eternal Witness
    1 Dryad Arbor

Discard(8)
    3 Thoughtsieze
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Hymn to Tourach

Removal(7)
    3 Fatal Push
    4 Abrupt Decay

Card Selection(7)
    3 Sylvan Library
    1 Life from the Loam
    3 Unearth

Planeswalkers(2)
    1 Lilliana of the Veil
    1 Garruk Relentless

Lands(21)
    2 Swamps
    2 Forests
    4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Phyrexian Tower

Sideboard(15)
    3 Lost Legacy
    2 Diabolic Edict
    3 Engineered Explosives
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dismember
    1 Fatal Push
    3 Choke

I beat Miracles round one 2-0. round two was Merfolk 2-0, Nic Fit 2-1 and Death and Taxes 2-1.

For the most part I was just the deck with all of the removal... i.e. against Merfolk and Death and Taxes.

The Miracle player had no idea what I was going to do the whole game and countered 2 Dark Confidants and 1 Sylvan Library before the second Library stuck to drown him game one. Game two I cast the same Lost legacy 3 times to strip him of win cons(Jace, Entreant, Mentor) for the scoop.

My losses were to a DnT where I drew no win conditions the entire game(goyf) and a game to Nic Fit where he went over the top, swords would have been nice...

Obviously SFM would have been awesome to help against Dnt and swords would have been nice against Nic Fits large dudes, but overall I did not feel like I needed to have the splash. The mana base felt awesome and Eternal Witness is jjust a really dumb card. Therapy-Witness-Therapy-Unearth-Therapy-Therapy also happened over the course of several turns against the Nic Fit player to ensure he never had gas.

Unearth was super fun but I could see cutting 1, Life from the Loam was not stellar since I dropped the Lilliana count to 1, Thoughtsieze was also pretty bad. I never drew the Garruk but wanted to several times throughout the night.

Anyone who is interested, what do you think?

p.s. I should be able to play again monday/tuesday.
    I find this list fascinating! I am typically a Deathblade player, but my pet deck is Smallpox. Over the years, I secretly have wondered about playing a list with unearth or Noxious revival. Another thought I've had is dropping the smallpox and just running Wasteland and Sinkhole to pair with Deathrite shaman.
    I digress. Anyway, I really like unearth and eternal witness; however, I can see why you'd find Noxious Revival more appealing because it directly fetches an answer from your yard or Ruins a draw step from an opponent.
    Have you considered running Grim Flayer?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I think the 3rd loam is almost needed, it makes so much of your list tick, also, you kind of have a little bit of all of our options; would it be beneficial to focus the deck a little?
    I'm very open to that idea, what would you cut for the 3rd loam? I'm thinking the 2nd eternal witness or the singleton crop rotation. There is a tournament for a dual nearby this weekend, I think i'm going to make some minor modifications based on your suggestions and my experience and see how that goes. Changes are: -1 Crop Rotation, -1 Eternal Witness, +1 Life from the Loam, +1 Bayou main. -1 Choke, -1 Leyline of the Void, -1 Ghost Quarter, +3 Hymn to Tourach side.

1 Cabal Pit
    1 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Bayou
    1 Treetop Village
    2 Forest
    2 Swamp
    1 Dryad Arbor