Thread: Big Green

Big Green

This deck is basically a mono green ramp deck that wins by playing lots of fatties!! (This is not supposed to be casual or at least I want it to be competitive.

The list:
    20 Forest- It taps for green and can't be wastelanded or stifled

// Creatures
    4 [EVE] Deity of Scars- A nice beater that lives through removal and it beats goyf
    2 [SHM] Oversoul of Dusk-Has protection from most relevant creatures, so he is a good beater/blocker
    2 [UL] Weatherseed Treefolk-It can trade with goyf and still come back :)
    4 [FD] Silent Arbiter-It stops me from getting overrun by little creatures (which is a problem)
    4 [ZEN] Terra Stomper-Uncounterable 8/8 trampler! How can Merfolk and Canadian thresh beat that?
    4 [EVE] Primalcrux-He is huge! It is very hard to deal with.
    4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch-Mana ramp. Exalted is relevant.

// Spells
    4 [ZEN] Summoning Trap-Punishes those silly blue players that try to counter my creatures.
    4 [DIS] Utopia Sprawl-It adds 1 mana for 1 and doesn't die to removal spells.
    4 [10E] Overgrowth-I needed something that produces more than 1 mana and this does the job.
    4 [IA] Wild Growth-See utopia sprawl

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [SHM] Oversoul of Dusk-blue, red, and black decks
    SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip-enchantments/artifacts
    SB: 2 [FNM] Tormod's Crypt-dredge/loam
    SB: 4 [8E] Choke-Blue
    SB: 3 [HOP] Relic of Progenitus-Dredge/loam

Obviously this deck needs a lot of work and all suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Re: Big Green

With the exception of Noble Hierarch, you don't have any creatures that cost less than 4. That seems bad. I would cut a few of the fatties and add more mana ramping creatures. Llanowar Elves seems obvious, and if your focus is on mana ramping and you have nothing but basic forests, Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary should at least be worth a look.

Also, two cards from Worldwake you should be looking at are Leatherback Baloth (GGG for a 4/5 vanilla, will tango with most average-sized Tarmogoyfs) and Omnath, Locus of Mana (Upwelling + Hugeness seems to fit into your theme well).

Also, Ant Queen is relatively huge, and would probably help with your "lots of little guys" problem. Plus mana ramping lets you make tons of little dudes yourself, if you really need to.

Summoning Trap seems inefficient to say the least. Look at Vexing Shusher or perhaps Gaea's Herald if you're really worried about them countering your guys.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

I think you could benefit from Trinisphere + Chalice of the Voids. You don't run the cheap Elves and the other mana ramps could be replaced by the ones that the "Mana + Bombs" deck used- Sigents, Guilded Lotus, Thran Dynamnos, and Elvish Spirit Guides too. This would help you out against zoo decks immensely.

EDIT: Which would mean a mana base change that opens you up to wasteland. But it'd get the locks down quick and the beaters even quicker

- 8 forest
    +4 Ancient Tomb
    +4 City of Traitors/ Hickory Woodlot

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

If you MUST run Summoning Trap, run 2 Dryad Arbors to up your creature (and land) count. Also, with how massive your dudes are, I might suggest 22 lands at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

This is a casual deck, right? I mean, otherwise you're basically 100% worse than green Chalice aggro.

It would be funny to try duplicating Eldrazi Green in this format, though. You'd have Omnath, Llanowar Elves, Fyndhorn Elves, Harmonize, Ant Queen, Survival, Monument, Genesis, and whatever else you wanted.

Lord Sapito of the Bloated Toad
    Dec 2004
    Upstate NY

If you're running the enchant-lands for excelleration, have you tried Garruk Wildspeaker? They work really well together. I have a casual Warp World deck that runs 12 Enchant Lands + Garruk. It makes ridiculous amounts of mana to cast my Rampaging Baloths or Warp Worlds right before I lose.
    Last edited by Reverend Damaged; 01-27-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Finished my thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssbm Rocks1 View Post
    4 [ZEN] Terra Stomper-Uncounterable 8/8 trampler! How can Merfolk and Canadian thresh beat that?

Happy Troll
    May 2009
    Rochester, NY

Take a look at Natural Order. It's 4 mana for the best creature in your deck in any given situation. If you add it, you'll probably want to replace the Wild Growths and Utopia sprawls with mana-producing creatures so that you can use them as sacrifice fodder. Wall of Roots is a good choice here, since in addition to being a mana producer it gives you some much-needed early defense, is very hard to burn out, and still allows you to cast Natural Order on turn 3.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

how this deck wins against a resolved dark ritual off underground sea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Carltron's Robot
    Jul 2006
    Europe

If you want to play big green beaters take a look at this http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=23360

But if you want to stay monoG I'd try the land destruction variant. There are some lists of this type .. with Winters Grasp, Ice Storm ... maybe Acidic Slime and Bind

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Damaged View Post
    If you're running the enchant-lands for excelleration, have you tried Garruk Wildspeaker? They work really well together. I have a casual Warp World deck that runs 12 Enchant Lands + Garruk. It makes ridiculous amounts of mana to cast my Rampaging Baloths or Warp Worlds right before I lose.
    Garruk might be an idea, but with the list in the opening post I would like to try to stay away from mana ramp that dies, but you did give a good idea; I have replaced hiearch with Arbor Elves. That card works really well with my enchantments :)

Quote Originally Posted by chris_acheson View Post
    Take a look at Natural Order. It's 4 mana for the best creature in your deck in any given situation. If you add it, you'll probably want to replace the Wild Growths and Utopia sprawls with mana-producing creatures so that you can use them as sacrifice fodder. Wall of Roots is a good choice here, since in addition to being a mana producer it gives you some much-needed early defense, is very hard to burn out, and still allows you to cast Natural Order on turn 3.
    I did try natural order before. I played 8 copies of llanowar elves and priest of titanias for my ramp instead of the enchantments. They ended up getting killed a lot, so I tried the enchantments. Wall of roots does seem like a good idea though. I might look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    how this deck wins against a resolved dark ritual off underground sea?
    They fizzle/kill themself.

In response to Pinder: Rofellos was in the deck at first. I just forgot to put him in this build.

Thread Information