Page 50 of 338 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 6756

Thread: [Deck] 12 Post

Re: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

I had a really nasty experience against Goblins yesterday at my local monthly, and went 0-3 against them, 2-6 in games. I didn't have a Tabernacle in my 75 or any sweepers like OStone or All Is Dust, and basically had nightmare after nightmare. Stingscourger totally neutered my Show and Tells, and the two games I did won were 35-minute grindfests where I had to ramp to a double-cast Emrakul turn, then annihilator the board 6 at a time turn after turn.

I think I had some bad luck in my matchups yesterday, running into Goblins, Goblins, DNT, Goblins - basically 4 matches in a row against Wasteland, Port, Thalia, with a sideboard mostly built to beat combo and midrange. Ironically, I wished I had played a Miracles version of the deck, which would have made for some interesting games instead.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Jul 2013
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by civet five View Post
    I had a really nasty experience against Goblins yesterday at my local monthly, and went 0-3 against them, 2-6 in games. I didn't have a Tabernacle in my 75 or any sweepers like OStone or All Is Dust, and basically had nightmare after nightmare. Stingscourger totally neutered my Show and Tells, and the two games I did won were 35-minute grindfests where I had to ramp to a double-cast Emrakul turn, then annihilator the board 6 at a time turn after turn.

I think I had some bad luck in my matchups yesterday, running into Goblins, Goblins, DNT, Goblins - basically 4 matches in a row against Wasteland, Port, Thalia, with a sideboard mostly built to beat combo and midrange. Ironically, I wished I had played a Miracles version of the deck, which would have made for some interesting games instead.
    Did you have any FOW or Needle? My current configuration is also very vulnerable to Goblins; however, I do not feel that the deck is popular in legacy right now - which keeps me from devoting any slots to it. Force and needle are what I'd lean on because the go-to cards o-stone and Elephant Grass just don't cover enough of the format IMO. It's tough too because repeal just doesn't hurt Goblins like it hurts tempo - the only real presence of aggro in the format.

However, if your local meta is THAT intense - the miracle build just might do it lol, but I don't think an SCG or GPT level tourney would ever be attacking enough to get me running another color for a miracle sweeper. O - stone is where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by TimHarding View Post
    Did you have any FOW or Needle? My current configuration is also very vulnerable to Goblins; however, I do not feel that the deck is popular in legacy right now - which keeps me from devoting any slots to it. Force and needle are what I'd lean on because the go-to cards o-stone and Elephant Grass just don't cover enough of the format IMO. It's tough too because repeal just doesn't hurt Goblins like it hurts tempo - the only real presence of aggro in the format.

However, if your local meta is THAT intense - the miracle build just might do it lol, but I don't think an SCG or GPT level tourney would ever be attacking enough to get me running another color for a miracle sweeper. O - stone is where its at.
    I had 1 Needle maindeck as a Trinket Mage target and 4 FoW in the sideboard. I boarded in the Forces but they never hurt them that much. I definitely did not expect to run into 3 Gobbos in 4 rounds, though the fact that I was in the losers bracket sorta speaks to how they were fairing. Just disappointing that I kept running into them.

When I was speaking of Miracles, I meant the old U/G build that ran 4 Devastation Tide and 4 Temporal Mastery. Ironically enough, there were many times yesterday that I was wishing I was drawing Devastation Tide and Mastery, as they would have bought tons more time than a triple-Vesuva'ed Glacial Chasm could.

The problem I really learned going against that many tribal decks was how well they build board presence. I sat under Chasm trying to stall, while they just kept Matron'ing for Ringeleaders and Krenko-jamming the board. Against Delver and Cascade decks, they usually don't have more than a few creatures out, and can't always represent lethal against a Chasm. Krenko just kept calling for reinforcements while I committed suicide to age counters.

Freedom is just as essential as air
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    Challice at one is so much better than chalice at zero, it is not even funny. 0 hits 8 mana sources (granted LED is a huge deal), while 1 shuts them off of all of their cantrips/probes/discard, not to mention rituals.

If you've only been playing chalice at 0, I can see why you think it's bad.
    Tbh, a turn 2 Chalice @ 1 can be too slow, especially in game 3. Chalice @ 0 at least locks out the fast Ad Nauseams (TES only. ANT doesn't care much about Chalice @ 0).
    My rule of thumb is that Chalice for 0 makes sure that you live long enough set another Chalice to one or two. Personally, I try to aim for two because stopping Infernal Tutor and Burning Wish slows their deck to a crawl while letting me still be able to cast Flusterstorm and our other important 1 drops (but against storm, namely Flusterstorm). But I'm not afraid of 1 in that match-up. Just like I go for 0 because Chalice stops twelve accelerators in the deck, buying me time to get more responses.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013
    France

Some fun development: I moved 4 force and 3-4 other counters (fluster mostly) into the main, and upped the SnT to 4 and played with additional cantrips. It played like a much more stable version of sneak and show. With the curve on 3/6 rather than 3/5. The huge difference is that post loves the late game, whereas sneak can't keep the heat on. I used a sneak and show board - and leyline is nice ..

No conclusions here, just some food for thought.
    Interesting that you mentioned that because I was considering bringing Leylines in the side and then moving the fourth Show And Tell in the main.
    As for up-ing (is that correct english???) the counters in the main, I am also considering this option beacause even against fair decks I sometimes board FOWs and Flusterstorms...
    In the new configuration you're testing, did you remove the Maps and Repeals (+ Needle?) in place of the counters + additional cantrpis?

Nov 2007
    Finland

There was a Turbo deck going 8-0 or 7-1 in the invitational. Seems super solid except for the lack of combo tools in sideboard. A full set of Pithing Needles seems a lot but can't complain, I play 3 copies.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    There was a Turbo deck going 8-0 or 7-1 in the invitational. Seems super solid except for the lack of combo tools in sideboard. A full set of Pithing Needles seems a lot but can't complain, I play 3 copies.
    4 chalice + 4 fluster is not what I would call "lack of combo tools" in SB.
    8 dedicated slots against combo is not "THAT" bad.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    4 chalice + 4 fluster is not what I would call "lack of combo tools" in SB.
    8 dedicated slots against combo is not "THAT" bad.
    Many people play something between 12-15 so it's quite thin compared to that. Combo is your ~only bad matchup so the sideboard should reflect that.

EDIT: formatting
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jul 2013
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Many people play something between 12-15 so it's quite thin compared to that. Combo is your ~only bad matchup so the sideboard should reflect that.

EDIT: formatting
    Props to him for a good invitational showing. I can't decide if the list was a clever meta call, or shipped straight from top8s of many months ago. He actually had 10 slots with venser. Which is still a lot. I agree and also prefer more, but also there's not going to be too much crappy combo in an invitational field, mostly sneak (as we all saw) where those needles probably did some real work. Either way this deck is normally a perfect choice for invitational metas, IMO. Hope we can get some recap from him.

so i recently seen this forum is more active than mtgsalvation. i am the 12 post player that went 7-1 in legacy. my lost was to sneak attack and they resolves blood moon games 2 and 3. if anyone would like me to tell you my thoughts on the deck i will be glad to. currently i have used it in 5 different scg events. my results have been 8th, 20 something, 62, invitationl was 7-1 and scrubbed out of the legacy in indy.(just wasnt my day)

Jul 2013
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Island View Post
    Interesting that you mentioned that because I was considering bringing Leylines in the side and then moving the fourth Show And Tell in the main.
    As for up-ing (is that correct english???) the counters in the main, I am also considering this option beacause even against fair decks I sometimes board FOWs and Flusterstorms...
    In the new configuration you're testing, did you remove the Maps and Repeals (+ Needle?) in place of the counters + additional cantrpis?
    Yeah upping works! And yeah it was interesting to play it outside the control role. I found that with forces I was having much better game 1s without giving up ground to our naturally good matchups. Plus the occasional force through felt luxurious. I tried many swaps, even cutting crop rotations (adding basics to help that), and shaving down on candelabra, trinket and oracle/map. But man the leyline is pretty decent.. Since there are free slots

How'd it go for you?

i beleive my list is near perfect with the meta game and would only change my flusterstorms for swan song so i can stop blood moon. i really debated playing the deck with how much wasteland and blood moon has seen play. but this deck never fails me i am in contention almost every event for top 8 with a 5-0-1 start in cincy and like a 6-1 start in nashville . i keep losing big games. i knew the invitational was going to be filled with tempo and sneak attack and that was why i chose to play with elephant grass . the pithing needles are necessary and i would probably never not play a full playset . also not a fan of trinket mage and the fow package. i think the list i play is the best deck atm but i am always open for ppls suggestion.

Nov 2012
    Bologna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    so i recently seen this forum is more active than mtgsalvation. i am the 12 post player that went 7-1 in legacy. my lost was to sneak attack and they resolves blood moon games 2 and 3. if anyone would like me to tell you my thoughts on the deck i will be glad to. currently i have used it in 5 different scg events. my results have been 8th, 20 something, 62, invitationl was 7-1 and scrubbed out of the legacy in indy.(just wasnt my day)
    Hi Dan,

congrats with your finish, really impressive! Maybe it's time for this deck to improve its popularity and stop just being a niche-deck since it should be crystal clear that it has real power (just kidding, lets hope not, i don't want to face dedicated sb-hate!)

About Blood Moon issue, i have added 1 basic forest to my list just to face that, reducing your pithing needles count (i usually play 3 of them, but since everybody here is talking about cutting them all, i've recently tried to low them to just 2 copies, but i'm not sold on leaving them home, they saved my butt too many times).
    You should convert all your fetchlands into misty rainforest too. In this way if you fear a blood moon you could just fetch/tutor for your basic forest first, i would suggest it even if your hand is filled with blue cards too, because once you have access to green and a moon sticks, you have the opportunity to crop rotate a random mountain into your beloved basic island and keep playing your game quite normally.
    I know it's considered a good matchup, but i found this quite handy against UWr control too

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

i beleive my list is near perfect with the meta game and would only change my flusterstorms for swan song so i can stop blood moon. i really debated playing the deck with how much wasteland and blood moon has seen play. but this deck never fails me i am in contention almost every event for top 8 with a 5-0-1 start in cincy and like a 6-1 start in nashville . i keep losing big games. i knew the invitational was going to be filled with tempo and sneak attack and that was why i chose to play with elephant grass . the pithing needles are necessary and i would probably never not play a full playset . also not a fan of trinket mage and the fow package. i think the list i play is the best deck atm but i am always open for ppls suggestion.
    What were your matchups?

1. painter
    2. rug delver
    3. shardless bug
    4. sneak attack
    5. sneak attack(loss)
    6. uwr delver
    7. shardless bug
    8. uwr delver

i am not 100% on the order but i think it went something like this in my legacy matches. also played bryant cook in round 2 for the open and 2-0 him.(he is the builder of tes). game one led with post,... turn 2 cloudpost candelabra,... turn 3 tropical island into show and tell...for primeval titan and searched for 2 more cloudpost and cast emrakul for a million turns. it was a very good hand lol. game two challice on zero on my turn one was good enough. followed up with a turn one challice a few turns later. but he still empty the warrens on me but i naturally drew tabernacle.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

1. painter
    2. rug delver
    3. shardless bug
    4. sneak attack
    5. sneak attack(loss)
    6. uwr delver
    7. shardless bug
    8. uwr delver

i am not 100% on the order but i think it went something like this in my legacy matches. also played bryant cook in round 2 for the open and 2-0 him.(he is the builder of tes). game one led with post,... turn 2 cloudpost candelabra,... turn 3 tropical island into show and tell...for primeval titan and searched for 2 more cloudpost and cast emrakul for a million turns. it was a very good hand lol. game two challice on zero on my turn one was good enough. followed up with a turn one challice a few turns later. but he still empty the warrens on me but i naturally drew tabernacle.
    Yes, Chalice is good vs TES ... had this a few pages back ^^
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

I know challice is good i was just letting ppl know i beat one of the top storm players with my list and used swan song instead of flusterstorm for the open. i did not get to cast against him though.

Jul 2013
    CT

Great work! Great to see another needle fan. I agree that your board/list covers the meta well - with the exception of omni. Maybe I am missing something, but do you write this off as a matchup you hope to dodge? My meta, and local scg meta even has been flooded with it to the point it cannot be ignored, and beating that deck consistently requires a lot of warping. I had a list similar to yours for a while- but omni was near unwinable..

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

1. painter
    2. rug delver
    3. shardless bug
    4. sneak attack
    5. sneak attack(loss)
    6. uwr delver
    7. shardless bug
    8. uwr delver
    ah ok. this explains quite a bit. thanks.

Great work! Great to see another needle fan. I agree that your board/list covers the meta well - with the exception of omni. Maybe I am missing something, but do you write this off as a matchup you hope to dodge? My meta, and local scg meta even has been flooded with it to the point it cannot be ignored, and beating that deck consistently requires a lot of warping. I had a list similar to yours for a while- but omni was near unwinable..
    i do try to dodge this matchup. it is not in our favor but i am not going to try to make my sideboard to deal with a deck that is not as popular as it once was. legacy players understand that sneak attack is more consistant and will continue to be a force in legacy.

Thread Information