Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: M14 - Slivers - Possible Sliver Queen Reprint - Reserved List?

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

M14 - Slivers - Possible Sliver Queen Reprint - Reserved List?

So, apparently we are getting slivers in M14 - http://instagram.com/p/Y_JOI8lqBl/# - and one of the teaser images was this: http://instagram.com/p/Y_F7iRlqMn/

Any chance they are reprinting Sliver Queen?
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Re: M14 - Slivers - Possible Sliver Queen Reprint - Reserved List?

Wasn't Sliver Queen recently printed as an oversized card? In Commander's Arsenal or something?

Could be alluding to that.

Also, since when do Slivers have legs?

EDIT: Also, the Reserved List is set in stone. They're not going to break it.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Time to sell my collection. WotC finally ran out of real ideas.

Will gladly be hibernating through 2013-2014 MTG.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

WHAT THE FUCK WHY DOES IT HAVE LEGS AND SHIT. That's just silly.

I don't understand any real reason to do another round of Slivers. Every tribe that's worth its salt is already doing exactly what Slivers do, and generally with less of an implicit requirement to be in 3 colors. Why bother, except to dick with your own manabase to play extra Lords?

It is interesting to note that the spoiled Sliver - if it is real - only boosts your own Slivers. That is not typical Sliver behavior; I remember Ward Sliver being kind of a big deal* because it could lopside a Sliver v. Sliver matchup in a way that other Slivers really couldn't do. But again, that's something which generally only the playable tribes are doing already, so that's yet another strange question mark about "why Slivers".

* - that is to say, big deal conceptually. As a card, I do not think that Ward Sliver was ever actually all that playable, just interesting for having the potential to open up a real alpha strike in a Sliver-on-Silver mirror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    WHAT THE FUCK WHY DOES IT HAVE LEGS AND SHIT. That's just silly.

I don't understand any real reason to do another round of Slivers. Every tribe that's worth its salt is already doing exactly what Slivers do, and generally with less of an implicit requirement to be in 3 colors. Why bother, except to dick with your own manabase to play extra Lords?

It is interesting to note that the spoiled Sliver - if it is real - only boosts your own Slivers. That is not typical Sliver behavior; I remember Ward Sliver being kind of a big deal* because it could lopside a Sliver v. Sliver matchup in a way that other Slivers really couldn't do. But again, that's something which generally only the playable tribes are doing already, so that's yet another strange question mark about "why Slivers".

* - that is to say, big deal conceptually. As a card, I do not think that Ward Sliver was ever actually all that playable, just interesting for having the potential to open up a real alpha strike in a Sliver-on-Silver mirror.
    Slivers are popular. Or rather, popular among some people and reviled among others. If there's any creature type that's going to make people sit up and take notice of a set, it would probably be Slivers.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

I logged in specifically to find this thread after I saw them spoiled. I have strong opinions when it comes to Slivers.

Sentinel Sliver might be playable.

The rest of them are either trash, or in the wrong color.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    I logged in specifically to find this thread after I saw them spoiled. I have strong opinions when it comes to Slivers.

Sentinel Sliver might be playable.

The rest of them are either trash, or in the wrong color.
    Holy shit it's Pinder.

How's tricks?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

The fuck is this shit, Alien sliver? Why SERIOUSLY WHY

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Holy shit it's Pinder.

How's tricks?
    Good, mostly. Same old, same old.

Also I just assumed these were global like all of the others. The fact that they're not is very interesting. It actually makes Sentinel Sliver quite valuable in the mirror.

Blur Sliver and Striking Sliver I can see maybe being good in some RWG sliver aggro in Modern, actually. You lose Muscle Sliver and Plated Sliver but you still have Spined out of Time Spiral and a bevy of good 1-drops in Sidewinder, Virulent, and Striking. Could be interesting.
    Last edited by Pinder; 05-06-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

If it doesn't look like a sharpened penis it's not a real Sliver. Who gave PCP to Creative?

Also, "you control" is dumb. I agree that it's a generally better design, but it was also the thing that made Slivers unique, and they should have stayed as the exception - in fact it would have made them even more memorable to new players. Throw in that they're popular with casual players who will freely mix up Slivers from any era, and you have a recipe for a double clusterfuck.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

Wasn't Sliver Queen recently printed as an oversized card? In Commander's Arsenal or something?

Could be alluding to that.

Also, since when do Slivers have legs?

EDIT: Also, the Reserved List is set in stone. They're not going to break it.
    Were the Commander's Arsenal oversized cards foil? I haven't seen any so I wouldn't know but the Queenie sure does look foil there.
    Main deck: Maverick
    Secondary decks: High Tide // Affinity
    MTGO decks: Affinity

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    WHAT THE FUCK WHY DOES IT HAVE LEGS AND SHIT.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlameAshura View Post
    Were the Commander's Arsenal oversized cards foil? I haven't seen any so I wouldn't know but the Queenie sure does look foil there.
    They were exactly like the oversized Commanders from the previous Commander product.

There was a clarification on Twitter that Sliver Queen is not being reprinted. There should be a new forum rule: from now on, the answer to any question about breaking the Reserved List is automatically, "No, the List is not going anywhere." No amount of wishful thinking will change that.

EDIT: Christ, Slivers-as-knockoff-Predators is so fucking retarded.

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

They were exactly like the oversized Commanders from the previous Commander product.

There was a clarification on Twitter that Sliver Queen is not being reprinted. There should be a new forum rule: from now on, the answer to any question about breaking the Reserved List is automatically, "No, the List is not going anywhere." No amount of wishful thinking will change that.

EDIT: Christ, Slivers-as-knockoff-Predators is so fucking retarded.
    Yeah I figured as much. There was no way in hell they were going to go ahead and give Sliver Queen a reprint, though how bout some speculation on a new 5 color sliver lord?

And yeah, next thing you know we're going to have Xenomorphs so they can do battle. ...Actually from a flavor perspective that sounds pretty cool.
    Main deck: Maverick
    Secondary decks: High Tide // Affinity
    MTGO decks: Affinity

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    If it doesn't look like a sharpened penis it's not a real Sliver. Who gave PCP to Creative?
    True facts. I suspect, though, that the art is to differentiate between "you control" slivers and the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo
    Also, "you control" is dumb. I agree that it's a generally better design, but it was also the thing that made Slivers unique, and they should have stayed as the exception - in fact it would have made them even more memorable to new players. Throw in that they're popular with casual players who will freely mix up Slivers from any era, and you have a recipe for a double clusterfuck.
    I don't mind "you control" that much, but I do hate these huge overcosted slivers that are 5/5s or whatever. The whole point of Slivers is that they're a hive, you should have lots of smaller, cheaper guys that work together and collectively boost each other. Groundshaker Sliver is a decent limited common that's a 5/5 trampler for 7. It has no business being a sliver. [/grumpyoldman]
    -Slay

I like that they brought back Slivers.

Wait, why do they look humanoid? Uh... I suspect they'll never give us a good answer for that since it's a core set and those are light on world building.

I'm sorta ambivalent on the "you control" clause. Better cards but more confusing for gameplay. It was also a defining characteristic of slivers. Hmm.

I don't know how I feel about this. :/
    Last edited by Amon Amarth; 05-06-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Vigilance Sliver is a common so that is going in my Pauper Deck.

I love slivers! Just hope we get a Green Hexproof Sliver; it might be enough to give Counter-slivers another burst of life.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post

Yeah exactly. There is nothing Sliver-ish about these Slivers. Except that they tempt to you go out of your way to play 6 colors, so you can assemble Voltron with all the mans.

The best Sliver deck for years now has been Merfolk anyway (when it is playable of course). It is resilient to Wasteland, has a fuckton of Lords which is far and away the most game-winning ability of any Sliver, with the possible exception of Shroud in Crystalline Sliver, but I'd argue that the removal and counters are more dependable when playing Merfolk so it doesn't really matter as much. I guess you can maybe steal wins with Virulent Sliver in multiples, but that's not that amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

So let me get this straight...they brought back an old tribe name but in a way such that it shares neither the flavor nor mechanical traits of the older members. Uh, wow, Wizards' jump-the-shark moment is fast approaching. I can't believe they brought Slivers back just to make them into humanoids with the NWO wording of "you control". What a shit move.

Aug 2010
    Germany

To be honest. I love it ;). Finally the Sliver tribe gets more help to maybe form a competitive Legacy deck. I really hope that they will bring out some sweet 2 mana drops.

Thread Information