Page 222 of 343 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,440 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

I haven't seen anyone mention how much price pressure there is on legacy staples because SCG needs to have stock to run the events. They can't have weekly tournaments and then shrug their shoulders and say 'sorry, we are sold out of all of these staples'

So the buy price goes up, sale price goes up, staples sell out, repeat.

I am confident that the SCG tournament series is THE reason for the legacy price bubble and if/when they discontinue support the bubble will go with it.

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention how much price pressure there is on legacy staples because SCG needs to have stock to run the events. They can't have weekly tournaments and then shrug their shoulders and say 'sorry, we are sold out of all of these staples'

So the buy price goes up, sale price goes up, staples sell out, repeat.

I am confident that the SCG tournament series is THE reason for the legacy price bubble and if/when they discontinue support the bubble will go with it.
    Was commander/edh a popular format back when starcity started the legacy opens? I would imagine edh/kitchen table/collectors would eat up cheapish duals and other legacy staples should the price drop due to no legacy opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Quattro View Post
    Was commander/edh a popular format back when starcity started the legacy opens? I would imagine edh/kitchen table/collectors would eat up cheapish duals and other legacy staples should the price drop due to no legacy opens.
    Not only that but were they to discontinue legacy support it would be highly likely another company would pick up the ball and run with it.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
    Not a direct comment on what you said, and not saying you were saying otherwise, but it has to be said: The pushing of WotC is the reason for Modern prices, more than SCG is responsible for Legacy prices, if/when WotC lessens support, prices would go down with it, and SCG has been more reliable in support for formats than WotC has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Not a direct comment on what you said, and not saying you were saying otherwise, but it has to be said: The pushing of WotC is the reason for Modern prices, more than SCG is responsible for Legacy prices, if/when WotC lessens support, prices would go down with it, and SCG has been more reliable in support for formats than WotC has been.
    I agree about the relationship between WotC and Modern but I'd like to know why you feel that SCG isn't as influential in the Legacy format. I understand that WotC is the company that makes Magic and WotC supports Modern, but the population of reserve list staples is much smaller than Modern staples and so the influence need not be as great to have a larger impact on overall prices.

My intuition is that Starcity has a problem: They have created a monster with Legacy. Prices have to go up, to suit their business model, until people lose interest or are priced out and at that point Legacy will start to decline. The popularity of the format is the problem given that reprints are out of the question. Legacy is its own worst enemy.

Why aren't there more sanctioned and non-sanctioned Vintage tournaments? Is Vintage truly not a 'fun' format? I realize how few sets of power exist, but a portion of those sets are out there and people do organize non-sanctioned events. I haven't run the numbers but I would wager that 15 proxy Vintage is one of the cheapest formats available.

I hope that people have deeper pockets than they did 10-12 years ago or else I can't imagine a different outcome for Legacy.

Was anyone here playing Vintage back then? Do you remember the tipping point when Vintage punched the clock and retreated into obscurity?

Nov 2013
    Burnaby

Pretty sure SCG would like to see the reserved list abolished as much as the next player/person. They sell more cards to players if cards come down in price, not if they go up as their margins will hover around 50% regardless of the price. Volume over price every day of the week if your margins are what they claim them to be.

It's not SCG fault legacy staples are high, it's the interest in Magic over the last 4-5 years where the Magic player base has grown like 30% each year or some crazy number.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Prices are going up in every format, not just Legacy. Terrible casual cards like Glimpse the Unthinkable, Angus Mackenzie, and Sliver Queen are absurdly expensive. Several Standard-legal cards in the past few years have eclipsed the $50 mark. A tier 1 Modern deck today costs more than a tier 1 Legacy did when Modern was announced as a format.

Part of the explosion in Legacy prices can be attributed to demand specifically for this format, but much of it can also be attributed to "a rising tide lifts all ships".

Hey guys:

Just wanted to pop in to clear up a couple of misconceptions here.

1) Wizards asked us (me) to come out to discuss the reserve list. (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...?Article=18824) We were (and still are) firmly in the camp of wanting to see the reserve list abolished.

2) The only advance cards we have access to are the 1-3 preview cards (for articles) we get per set release. We typically get them one week before the previews are set to go live (for instance, we got our Journey into Nyx cards last week). We do not have access to the Godbooks, and we have never had access to any Godbooks.

- Ben

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

I made the decision last night that most of my vintage stuff is going on ebay. Going to keep a set of beat unlimited power and thats pretty much it. When I can drop a beta lotus and buy a Picasso or a few Salvador Dali pieces its time to really think about selling before the bubble burst.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by Technicolor Mage View Post
    Pretty sure SCG would like to see the reserved list abolished as much as the next player/person. They sell more cards to players if cards come down in price, not if they go up as their margins will hover around 50% regardless of the price. Volume over price every day of the week if your margins are what they claim them to be.

It's not SCG fault legacy staples are high, it's the interest in Magic over the last 4-5 years where the Magic player base has grown like 30% each year or some crazy number.
    Dont you think theoretical 50% is a bit much?

Now Mr. BB said two things: they don't want Reserved list and they don't get goodbooks.

This clears some things up obviously.

Still, a mostly US centered store (obviously largest) dictates most prices.

You either follow or you lose. What's the solution?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

What do you want? WOTC to just come down and tell SCG to stop selling magic cards? Maybe if a challenger appeared something could change, but I honestly don't see the issue. I'd say the issue is the RL, not Scg
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    What do you want? WOTC to just come down and tell SCG to stop selling magic cards? Maybe if a challenger appeared something could change, but I honestly don't see the issue. I'd say the issue is the RL, not Scg
    RL aside, Wizards is still a bunch of dicks for not reprinting the Non-RL staples in a reasonable way/quantity.

Stuff like Wasteland, Port, Karakas, FoW, etc. shouldn't be so outrageously expensive as they are right now since they're all reprintable.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    RL aside, Wizards is still a bunch of dicks for not reprinting the Non-RL staples in a reasonable way/quantity.

Stuff like Wasteland, Port, Karakas, FoW, etc. shouldn't be so outrageously expensive as they are right now since they're all reprintable.
    Thing is, if they did reprint them... that just shifts the problem onto the cards that are on the Reserved List. If a card becomes cheaper due to a reprint, then the other cards in that deck go up in price, because everyone who can get the reprinted card for cheap thinks to themselves "now that I've got this, I should try to make a deck with it." Reprinting the non-Reserved cards just increases the price of the Reserved List cards further, ultimately being a band-aid solution at best.

Though it would benefit the few decks that run zero cards on the list, e.g. Death & Taxes and Merfolk.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Thing is, if they did reprint them... that just shifts the problem onto the cards that are on the Reserved List. If a card becomes cheaper due to a reprint, then the other cards in that deck go up in price, because everyone who can get the reprinted card for cheap thinks to themselves "now that I've got this, I should try to make a deck with it." Reprinting the non-Reserved cards just increases the price of the Reserved List cards further, ultimately being a band-aid solution at best.

Though it would benefit the few decks that run zero cards on the list, e.g. Death & Taxes and Merfolk.
    I would take a band-aid over a format bleeding slowly to its death.

Not reprinting anything ever isn't a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I would take a band-aid over a format bleeding slowly to its death.
    But the point is that the format would still bleed slowly to its own death. The only difference is that it would take slightly longer to do so; which, admittedly, is still a bonus.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

@DRS banning-

Holy shit snacks, those Noble Hierarchs jumped right up didn't they?

sent from phone, don't be a dick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    @DRS banning-

Holy shit snacks, those Noble Hierarchs jumped right up didn't they?
    Yeah, and for me NO RUG is definitely out of question. Nevermind, I still bath in other cards I'll never play, so it's no like I need to waste money for a set of NOs, a Clique or two and three more Hierarchs.
    Also, I realized some lands are going crazy. Ancient Tomb, yeah, we know it, but also Grove of the BW.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Ancient Tomb, yeah, we know it, but also Grove of the BW.
    Makes me happy I kept both of my FTV: Realms unopened.

Mar 2007
    RI

Edric got bought out on TCG player it appears. I guess the miser copy in Rill's list paired with some hype around Bahra's run on modo with Noble Fish pushed people to reevaluate the card in Legacy and it's $5 price point.
    TPDMC

Mar 2007

Edric is probably a sleeper card. Although that price spike is hilarious.

Thread Information