190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Itīs Great

61 32.11%
  • itīs okay

84 44.21%
  • Not really

45 23.68%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy the current state of legacy?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: Do you enjoy the current state of legacy?

Janchu, would you mind making an extra post with the metagame shift data you just posted so one can make it sticky and/or bookmark it? Its an incredible piece of work, which I would like to chew through but would have to so manually.

If you feel funny, I would be interrested in the combined share of Counterbalance/Chalice/Decay in the metagame to see how the development curve is through the release/banning of the Delve spells and Eldrazis rise.

Amazing work regardless. Chapeau
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

thanks for the appreciation, i edited the wall of text into the first post, so you can bookmark it better

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Thanks!
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by janchu88 View Post
    feel free to ask for specific cards u want to see together
    First off, fantastic work, I love seeing stuff like this.

I'd like to see (using method B as you listed there), Brainstorm, Ponder, Force of Will, Cavern of Souls in a chart if you get the time.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Link to the recording of the Nykthos leyline deck please :-)
    I don't recall what week it was on camera. There are 107 videos stored on the Twitch page right now (https://www.twitch.tv/cardkingdom/videos/all), but some of those are from Modern, Pauper, and Vintage. There's also a six-month gap in the video archive, which I think is due to a storage limit. The archive is worth browsing through, especially because it's so easy to skip ahead to a different match if you want to see different players or a different deck in action. Videos are usually stored for about two weeks and then rotate out, but I'm not sure why there are a lot from last May still in the archive.

Round 4 from last Monday's weekly had a great match between Stoneblade Landstill and the Vial Obliterator BUG deck I mentioned. Match coverage begins at 02:02:10.
    https://www.twitch.tv/cardkingdom/v/116921035

The Nykthos Leyline deck was based around Serra's Sanctum and Nykthos and was similar to Parfait. It had Nevermore, Ghostly Prison, Runed Halo, Increasing Devotion, and Leyline of the Meek, and I think it had the Land Tax + Scroll Rack draw engine.

Legacy is streamed every Monday at 6:30 p.m. Pacific time. Modern is streamed every Thursday night at 6:30. Also, there will be a Legacy 1K this Saturday, with coverage starting shortly after noon.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    First off, fantastic work, I love seeing stuff like this.

I'd like to see (using method B as you listed there), Brainstorm, Ponder, Force of Will, Cavern of Souls in a chart if you get the time.
    thanks, there you go

"do I enjoy the current legacy?"

Yes

Aug 2016
    Flanders

thanks, there you go

Thanks a lot! The Eldrazi and DTT bumps are clearly visible there lol. Any chance Gitaxian Probe could be added to that as the 3rd cantrip menace? :-)

If you add Gitaxian Probe I'm curious to see how it relates to Cabal Therapy.
    "Everything is better topless"

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

You can pretty mich tell when the format just became hostile towards storm xD

Join us at Facebook!

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I don't recall what week it was on camera. There are 107 videos stored on the Twitch page right now (https://www.twitch.tv/cardkingdom/videos/all), but some of those are from Modern, Pauper, and Vintage. There's also a six-month gap in the video archive, which I think is due to a storage limit. The archive is worth browsing through, especially because it's so easy to skip ahead to a different match if you want to see different players or a different deck in action. Videos are usually stored for about two weeks and then rotate out, but I'm not sure why there are a lot from last May still in the archive.

Round 4 from last Monday's weekly had a great match between Stoneblade Landstill and the Vial Obliterator BUG deck I mentioned. Match coverage begins at 02:02:10.
    https://www.twitch.tv/cardkingdom/v/116921035

The Nykthos Leyline deck was based around Serra's Sanctum and Nykthos and was similar to Parfait. It had Nevermore, Ghostly Prison, Runed Halo, Increasing Devotion, and Leyline of the Meek, and I think it had the Land Tax + Scroll Rack draw engine.

Legacy is streamed every Monday at 6:30 p.m. Pacific time. Modern is streamed every Thursday night at 6:30. Also, there will be a Legacy 1K this Saturday, with coverage starting shortly after noon.
    Thanks for the response. Are you one of the admins of the account? If so, I'd suggest renaming the videos such that the matchups are in the title. That also helps a bunch on youtube.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Damn Eldrazi and Chalice were really a faerie fire. I guess it got really popular at first because it was a new thing and relatively cheap, but now that the meta is settled it's just not a good deck as expected. Can't beat the cantrip cartel. At this point, i doubt there's anything that can impact the prevalence of the cantrip cartel. Survival and Recruiter being the two best shots at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Damn Eldrazi and Chalice were really a faerie fire. I guess it got really popular at first because it was a new thing and relatively cheap, but now that the meta is settled it's just not a good deck as expected.
    I guess that depends how good you expected it to be. MTG top8 has it at 6% - the only decks doing better (by their count) are Miracles and BUG Midrange. It's been a DTB most constantly since its inception. It isn't broken, and hasn't supplanted Miracles as the top placing deck. But it's a solid deck - not a fairy fire I think.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Aug 2016
    Flanders

https://abload.de/img/therapyprobelraao.png
    Thanks! I had expected Probe to be more like 30% since both Delver decks and combo decks play it

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That fantastic info. You should start a new thread for it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Can't beat the cantrip cartel. At this point, i doubt there's anything that can impact the prevalence of the cantrip cartel. Survival and Recruiter being the two best shots at it.
    I'd take a real close look at that graph on the previous page and look at the Abrupt Decay graph; there's no way a Survival unban results in more diverse fair decks, and every Survival deck is going to run Decay. This card isn't an effective policeman of the format, nor does it lead to intellectually interesting matchups. I wonder if the OP could create a graph highlighting decks which lack Brainstorm but have Decay vs no BS and no Decay?

Removal-based magic is fine, but you can generally scratch that itch by playing Modern/Standard/Limited, so it's always a bit hard to understand why people want legacy (or vintage) to feel like those. Board removal is small-minded/narrow and by itself pretty much an admission that you're not willing to compete on the stack. Legacy is incredibly varied and the cantrip cartel decks generally point their removal stack-ward letting them interact with both fair and unfair approaches. Sure you have to be in blue to have the most diverse interactive scope (i.e. countermagic)...and that warps color representation of the format but still you hear all this outrage from the crowd that conveniently forgets that they gave up on multi-dimensional interaction. I don't really hear discard enthusiasts (like Pox) going around claiming that their one-dimensional hand attack should be without inherent weakness. Imperfect, unconventional solutions are what make legacy/vintage fun, and [for instance] I'd rather watch or play these formats with/against solutions like Tabernacle than a mindless piece of spot removal.

I voted for the current state of legacy being okay, and a large part of that is this more represented mindset that players only want to play 'their' type of magic - and many new border cards are absolving such [fair] mindsets from needing to have holistic approaches to interaction.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

"'d take a real close look at that graph on the previous page and look at the Abrupt Decay graph; there's no way a Survival unban results in more diverse fair decks, and every Survival deck is going to run Decay. This card isn't an effective policeman of the format, nor does it lead to intellectually interesting matchups. I wonder if the OP could create a graph highlighting decks which lack Brainstorm but have Decay vs no BS and no Decay?"

So what? Show and tell and reanimate griselbrand aren't particularly interesting or intellectual. If intellectual and interesting games were part of a reason to keep or not keep cards then show and ape and griseltard would've been banned long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    So what? Show and tell and reanimate griselbrand aren't particularly interesting or intellectual. If intellectual and interesting games were part of a reason to keep or not keep cards then show and ape and griseltard would've been banned long ago.
    There's nothing stopping the other player from going large as well off that opponent's SnT; but yes, SnT is not fun to face if you don't play countermagic and you're not trying to do anything heroic.
    In my experience though an enemy SnT creates the most hilarious boards and is tremendously fun and balanced (in the sense that anything can happen, and anyone can win off it). I don't see why "SnT isn't fun and should be banned" opinion is any more valid than that of 2 combo pilots' opinion.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

This is about to dive into ban discussion. Please shift the talk on this part of the topic there.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information