Thread: Eldrazi Obligator Questions

Eldrazi Obligator Questions

So I'm tinkering with Jeskai Eldrazi as a pet deck and I have some quick questions about the intricacies of the cast trigger of Eldrazi Obligator (particularly how it interacts with Stifle).

So let's say I just casted the Obligator and announced the cast trigger:

1) When can my opponent Stifle this? Can they wait until I've payed the ability's cost to Stifle it, or do they have to Stifle it before I pay?

2) If they have to Stifle it before I pay the cost, when am I required to announce target? As part of the trigger going on the stack (I.E. they'll know before they Stifle it) or can I wait until I pay the cost to declare the target?

I've looked around and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to the first one, but I want to double check. I haven't had any luck on the second question though.

Re: Eldrazi Obligator Questions

Quote Originally Posted by SquadronHawk View Post
    So I'm tinkering with Jeskai Eldrazi as a pet deck and I have some quick questions about the intricacies of the cast trigger of Eldrazi Obligator (particularly how it interacts with Stifle).

So let's say I just casted the Obligator and announced the cast trigger:

1) When can my opponent Stifle this? Can they wait until I've payed the ability's cost to Stifle it, or do they have to Stifle it before I pay?

2) If they have to Stifle it before I pay the cost, when am I required to announce target? As part of the trigger going on the stack (I.E. they'll know before they Stifle it) or can I wait until I pay the cost to declare the target?

I've looked around and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to the first one, but I want to double check. I haven't had any luck on the second question though.
    The relevant rules are:

603.3d The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c–d. If a choice is required when the triggered ability goes on the stack but no legal choices can be made for it, or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal, the ability is simply removed from the stack.

601.2c The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires.

603.5. Some triggered abilities’ effects are optional (they contain “may,” as in “At the beginning of your upkeep, you may draw a card”). These abilities go on the stack when they trigger, regardless of whether their controller intends to exercise the ability’s option or not. The choice is made when the ability resolves. Likewise, triggered abilities that have an effect “unless” something is true or a player chooses to do something will go on the stack normally; the “unless” part of the ability is dealt with when the ability resolves.

In summary:
    They have to Stifle before you pay, but while they are deciding whether to Stifle or not they do know what you are targeting

Thread Information