Page 58 of 332 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind

Round 6 of 4CB Season 3, The Block Tour, has started. This round: Odyssey block (Odyssey, Torment, Judgment)!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 6, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 21th of August, at 8:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night 10:00PM-ish, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    - The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Swamp, Plains, Beloved Chaplain, Chainer's Edict (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S03R06 in the topic. Many of you already did this for previous rounds. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deck designing everybody!
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

A little less than two days until the deadline, and we're at 5 entries. Don't miss out!

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

will try to post something tomorrow night. i've mode to another holliday place, so it is not as easy to find time to do my entry.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The deadline has passed and we're at 6 entries.
    (Technically 7, but one of the contains cards from next round's set.)

I can give you guys a few more hours, if you need.
    PM me your deck as soon as you can. I'll accept entries until I post decks in about 3 hours or so.

I can't wait to see my wet dreams of 6-0s crushed into the ground by people who have read the block infinitely better than I did.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Okay, looks like this is it. A little smaller round, but I guess some of us are still on vacation.

DECKS FOR ROUND 6 OF THE BLOCK TOUR (Odyssey block: Odyssey, Torment, Judgment):

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Grim Lavamancer, Spark Mage, Lava Dart
    2. Unlif3: Forest, Swamp, Cabal Therapy, Chatter of the Squirrel
    3. FTW: Tarnished Citadel, Cabal Therapy, Sylvan Safekeeper, Grim Lavamancer
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Forest, Swamp, Basking Rootwalla, Mesmeric Fiend
    5. Wrath of Pie: Swamp, Forest, Cabal Therapy, Basking Rootwalla
    6. H: Tarnished Citadel, Cabal Therapy, Spark Mage, Carrion Rats

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll update the Google Spreadsheet for the season, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal results for round 6.

NOTE: I can play a line if Spark Mage and Lava Dart are in my grave, and Grim Lavamancer is on the battlefield: I tap Mountain for mana, and then sac Mountain to flashback Lava Dart.
    After this I can use the [R] and exile Mountain and Spark Mage from my graveyard to activate Grim Lavamancer. This is how I get the most out of all my removal effects.

1. Asthereal (TO): that's me, sporting NO Therapy as it's too obvious. My "Strike Team Lava": Mountain, Grim Lavamancer, Spark Mage, Lava Dart
    2. Unlif3: Lava Dart single-handedly kills your team. Therapy can take Lavaman, but Spark Mage remains to seal the deal. 6-0
    3. FTW: OTP I open with Lavamancer. The line mentioned at the top of this post allows me to win from here. OTD you can Therapy away the Lavaman and force a draw from there. (I almost played this deck, but then I found Lava Dart.) 4-1
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: If you cast Walla, I Dart it. So you have to sandbag it. But then I get to cast Spark Mage, which can attack into your Fiend, giving me my exiled card back. See below for details. 6-0
    5. Wrath of Pie: Both OTP and OTD if you cast Walla, I Dart it (either from my grave of from my hand). You can't stop me from casting at least one threat. 6-0
    6. H: Lava Dart single-handedly kills your team. Therapy can take Lavaman, but Spark Mage remains to seal the deal. 6-0

Total: 28 points! Lava Dart, soooo good!

Against Gobbosmasher (Forest, Swamp, Basking Rootwalla, Mesmeric Fiend):
    (OTD)
    G: Forest (sandbag Walla, or I Dart it)
    A: Mountain, cast Spark Mage
    G: Swamp, cast Fiend. If you exile Lavaman, I get to Dart Fiend, regain Lavaman and win. So you have to take Dart.
    A: Attack with Spark Mage. If you don't block, it kills Fiend, so you have to block. Both die and I get Dart back. Cast Lavamancer afterwards.
    From here, if you cast Walla, I Dart it again. You can't pump just yet, so that's enough. Lavaman attacks for the win.

I think that's 0-6, can't seem to even get a draw.
    That's me !
    OTP I Therapy Lavamancer. If you play Safekeeper I get 2 squirrels, so you play Therapy on Chatter. I flashback Chatter and whether I choose to Therapy Safekeeper or let my squirrel on the field is irrelevant as it will end up drawing.
    OTD you play Grim Lavamancer, which I can't see a way to beat. 1-4.
    I completely overlooked Rootwalla. 0-6.
    I completely overlooked Rootwalla. 0-6.
    6. H: Tarnished Citadel, Cabal Therapy, Spark Mage, Carrion Rats
    I think this should draw both OTP and OTD. 2-2, need confirmation.

3 points :(

1. Asthereal (TO): Mountain, Grim Lavamancer, Spark Mage, Lava Dart LL - I underrated the RDW strategy. Lava Dart is really good in this format.
    2. Unlif3: Forest, Swamp, Cabal Therapy, Chatter of the Squirrel WW - I almost played this instead, but a 3/3 is better than two 1/1s.
    3. FTW: Tarnished Citadel, Cabal Therapy, Sylvan Safekeeper, Grim Lavamancer WL
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Forest, Swamp, Basking Rootwalla, Mesmeric Fiend DD
    6. H: Tarnished Citadel, Cabal Therapy, Spark Mage, Carrion Rats WD

4w3d = 15 points

I think we all need a therapy session after this round.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 08-22-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

H: Tarnished Citadel, Cabal Therapy, Spark Mage, Carrion Rats

I think I lose both of these, since I can't get rid of two one drops, but Lava Dart can deal with both mine. 0-6

On the play, I Therapy the Therapy, then it's two 1/1's vs a 2/1 and a 1/1, but because he can get one free "fog" on the Rats, he can always just attack with one. If I block with the Mage, since blocking with the Rat is useless, its a 2/1, with me less than 10, so he can race a 2/1. It's obviously much worse when I am on the Draw. 0-6

If I Therapy Lavamancer, he will Therapy Spark Mage, then it's Safekeeper vs Rats. Or he can Falshback the Therapy on the Rats, but in both cases, it will be a draw, I think. 1-4

If I Therapy the Fiend, it's Rootwalla vs Rats and Mage, but if he tries to race by attacking and pumping, I can Mage it on my attack and I think I would still be higher than 7. So, it would be a draw. 2-2

I think it's the same as above, on the Play, but on the Draw, I lose, since Therapy takes Mage. 1-4

6. H: Bye, myself.

I guess 4? Although I probably did some bad quick math.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

i guess i was the one with a deck for a future round :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    i guess i was the one with a deck for a future round :)
    Not time for Aether Vial yet, I'm afraid.

Sep 2011

1. Asthereal (TO): OTP I Therapy Lavamancer. You play Spark Mage. I play Lavamancer. You Lava Dart it and hit me for 1. I play Safekeeper. Safekeeper can protect itself from Lava Dart and trades with Spark Mage to draw. OTD you play Lavamancer. I Therapy Lava Dart. You play Spark Mage. I play Lavamancer. You attack with Mage and I block to trade. I play Safekeeper. EOT you Lava Dart it, I sac a land to protect it, and you Lavamance it in response. Then Lavamancer beats me.
    DL 1-4

2. Unlif3: OTP I play Lavamancer. You Therapy Safekeeper. I Therapy Chatter. You flashback Chatter. Lavamancer kills the token and then wins. OTD you Therapy Lavamancer. I Therapy Chatter. You flashback Chatter. I play Safekeeper and they trade to draw.
    WD 4-1.

4. GoblinSmashmaster: I Therapy Mesmeric Fiend. Lavamancer + Safekeeper beats Basking Rootwalla OTP and OTD. See below.
    WW 6-0.

5. Wrath of Pie: See GoblinSmashmaster match. Lavamancer + Safekeeper beats Basking Rootwalla. OTP I Therapy your Therapy. You play Rootwalla (you can flashback Therapy but then you have no threat and lose). I play Lavamancer. You attack me to 11. I play Safekeeper. From here Lavamancer + Safekeeper beats your Rootwalla. OTD you Therapy Lavamancer. Safekeeper loses to Rootwalla.
    WL 3-3

6. H: OTP I play Lavamancer. If you Therapy Safekeeper, I Therapy Spark Mage and Lavamancer kills the Rats. If you play a creature, I play Safekeeper, and Safekeeper trades with 1 creature while Lavamancer kills the other. OTD you Therapy Lavamancer. I Therapy Spark Mage. You play Carrion Rats. I play Safekeeper, and from there we draw.
    WD 4-1

18 points (5 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses)

@Asthereal nice deck. I even built to beat 3 removal effects (I Therapy one, one kills a 1/1, and Safekeeper's ability stops the 3rd), so I can handle Lavamancer + Lava Dart OTP and OTD, but I completely overlooked Spark Mage. Spark Mage is that 4th removal effect that forces me to trade a body and never activate Lavamancer.

vs GoblinSmashmaster:
    OTD
    You - Rootwalla.
    Me - Therapy Fiend (17).

You - Attack (14).
    Me - Lavamancer (11).

You - Attack (8).
    Me - Safekeeper (5)

You - If you attack, I block with Safekeeper. If you pump, Safekeeper dies but you're tapped out, then I untap and Lavamance the Rootwalla. If you don't pump, they trade. Or you don't attack at all..
    Me - Attack with Safekeeper. If you block and pump, I Lavamance in response (sac land for 2nd card). If you don't pump, they trade. Or you don't block and take 1.

You - If you attack, I block with Lavamancer. If you pump, I Lavamance in response (sac land). If you don't pump, they trade. Or you don't attack at all..
    Me - Attack with Safekeeper. Repeat.

OTP the same thing happens except you get 1 fewer attack so I'm at 8 instead of 5.
    Last edited by FTW; 08-22-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Pretty sure I beat you OTP by leading with Cabal Therapy naming Cabal Therapy (instead of playing Lavamancer first). Then Lavamancer + Safekeeper beats Rootwalla.

I wrote more details in my post for the matchup with GoblinSmashmaster. Rootwalla almost races me but I get to 5 or 8 life (enough to activate Lavamancer) and a position where Rootwalla either trades with a 1/1 or pumps and then dies to Lavamancer once tapped out.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    @Asthereal nice deck. I even built to beat 3 removal effects (I Therapy one, one kills a 1/1, and Safekeeper's ability stops the 3rd), so I can handle Lavamancer + Lava Dart OTP and OTD, but I completely overlooked Spark Mage. Spark Mage is that 4th removal effect that forces me to trade a body and never activate Lavamancer.
    Thanks! Yeah the Spark Mage complements the rest quite well, and I needed it, because playing two Lavamancers would be bad in a Cabal Therapy-infested meta.

Anyway, time for... Preliminary standings for round 6.

Rank. Player: score - season points:
    1. Asthereal (TO): 28 - 5,6
    2. FTW: 18 - 3,6
    3. Wrath of Pie: 15 - 3
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: 10 - 2
    5. H: 5 - 1,0
    5. Unlif3: 5 - 1,0

We are halfway season 3. Time to look at the current standings in the season:
    1. Asthereal (TO): 24,6
    2. FTW: 22,4
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: 20,1
    4. Wrath of Pie: 14,6
    5. H: 10,8
    6. Whoshim: 10,4
    7. Unlif3: 7,9
    8. BirdsOfParadise: 6,3
    9. Tylert: 3,4

So I have a slight lead now, but I am well within shooting range of both reigning champ FTW and a fast improving GobboSmashlord.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 08-22-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Round 7 of 4CB Season 3, The Block Tour, has started. This round: Onslaught block (Onslaught, Legions, Scourge)!

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 7, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 28th of August, at 8:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night 10:00PM-ish, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    - The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Starlit Sanctum, Plains, Beacon of Destiny, Battlefield Medic (so with card tags around each card, and not above eachother), with your Username and 4CB S03R07 in the topic. Many of you already did this for previous rounds. Thanks a lot, this really saves me the time and hassle of copying and pasting text and tags!

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deck designing everybody!

I think that for R6 we have a slight problem on the match opposing H to myself, as he recorded 0-6 and I recorded 2-2.
    Can someone check our match and decide?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Unlif3 View Post
    I think that for R6 we have a slight problem on the match opposing H to myself, as he recorded 0-6 and I recorded 2-2.
    Can someone check our match and decide?
    Lemme check.

I think it boils down to the following:
    Most lines I see end up in a situation where you have one 1/1 squirrel and H has one Carrion Rats.
    Now, the Rats are 2/1, which would race the 1/1, but you can "fog" his Rats at least once (Therapy can be cast even if he has no cards in hand).
    So what you would do, is attack with the 1/1, he will let it through and attack back with his 2/1. You can "fog" it to try and win the race, but you can do that only once.
    After the "fog", you won't have a card in the grave anymore (Chatter flashback exiles it), and he can keep his 2/1 back for defence and draw.
    For calculating the race, we need to take into account the fact that his land costs him 6 or 9 life, depending on whether he gets to cast 2 or 3 cards.

Say we go like this:
    H: Cast Mage (H=17)
    U: Cast Chatter
    H: Cast Rats (H=14)
    U: Flashback Chatter
    H: Do nothing
    U: Cast Therapy, name Rage Against The Machine, fail to find it, Therapy ends up in the grave. Attack with one squirrel, H blocks with Mage, both die.
    H: Do nothing
    U: Attack with the remaining squirrel, H lets it come through, H=13
    H: Attack with Rats, U=18
    From here, H would win the race even if you "fog" the Rats when they attack, so you have to keep the squirrel back for defence and the Therapy in the grave to "fog" the Rats. H also can't attack anymore, as you would block it and "fog" the Rats, killing it, but keeping the squirrel alive. H can't allow that, so he'll aklso not attack and it's is a draw.

If you instead Therapy on turn 1 OTD, you can take Rats, he can then Therapy your Chatter, and you end up with a 1/1 each. This also draws.

So when H is on the play, he can force the draw. Unless I overlook something.

---

With you on the play, you can choose to Therapy first. The best card to take is Mage. Let's see what happens.

U: Therapy the Mage
    H: Therapy the Chatter (H=17)
    U: Flashback Chatter
    H: Cast Rats (H=14)

This looks very much like what we had before. You can still only "fog" the Rats once, and you're still about to lose the race, so you have to keep your one squirrel back and the Therapy in your grave for defence. H will also not attack and it's a draw again.

---

So I think you are right to have noted this matchup as two draws. I'll adjust the scores accordingly, unless spielmeister FTW finds a line FTW.

#badpunsarebad

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    H: Tarnished Citadel, Cabal Therapy, Spark Mage, Carrion Rats

On the play, I Therapy the Therapy, then it's two 1/1's vs a 2/1 and a 1/1, but because he can get one free "fog" on the Rats, he can always just attack with one. If I block with the Mage, since blocking with the Rat is useless, its a 2/1, with me less than 10, so he can race a 2/1. It's obviously much worse when I am on the Draw. 0-6
    Edit: Asthereal is right. H's line leads to a loss, but using Therapy on Therapy is suboptimal for H.
    See below. It would be better to cast creatures and never cast Therapy (save 3 life), allowing Rats to race the 1/1, forcing the draw.

H - Therapy the Therapy (17)
    U - Chatter. Don't flashback Therapy to take Spark Mage, make him take 3 damage to cast it and keep Therapy in GY for Rats' ability.

H - Spark Mage (14)
    U - Flashback Chatter. Attack with a 1/1. H blocks and trades with Spark Mage (Mage would trade on offense either way, this way H takes less damage).

H - Rats (H=11).
    U - Attack with 1 token. Note that Rats cannot enter combat with a 1/1, because U can exile Cabal Therapy to prevent the damage and kill Rats, so instead of trading H must let it through (H=10).

H - Attack with Rats (U=18)
    U - Attack with token (H=9)

H - Attack with Rats (U=2)
    U - Attack with token (H=1)

Now if H attacks with Rats, U exiles Cabal Therapy to fog, then attacks back FTW. If H keeps Rats on defense, U attacks with his token, H has to block, and U exiles Cabal Therapy so his token lives. Either way U wins the race.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    H is right.

H - Therapy the Therapy (17)
    U - Chatter. Don't flashback Therapy to take Spark Mage, make him take 3 damage to cast it and keep Therapy in GY for Rats' ability.

H - Spark Mage (14)
    U - Flashback Chatter. Attack with a 1/1. H blocks and trades with Spark Mage (Mage would trade on offense either way, this way H takes less damage).

H - Rats (H=11).
    U - Attack with 1 token. Note that Rats cannot enter combat with a 1/1, because U can exile Cabal Therapy to prevent the damage and kill Rats, so instead of trading H must let it through (H=10).

H - Attack with Rats (U=18)
    U - Attack with token (H=9)

H - Attack with Rats (U=2)
    U - Attack with token (H=1)

Now if H attacks with Rats, U exiles Cabal Therapy to fog, then attacks back FTW. If H keeps Rats on defense, U attacks with his token, H has to block, and U exiles Cabal Therapy so his token lives. Either way U wins the race.

WW 6-0 for Unlif3
    True. IF H were to cast Therapy. But he doesn't have to.
    H should cast Mage instead. I think H should try to not cast Therapy at all.
    Only if U Therapies a creature away, H can use that window to Therapy the Chatter.

Thread Information