Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2251

Thread: [Deck] Pox

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: [Deck] Pox

You really should run entomb. Cut one or two wasteland for it.

To fix the enchantment and Jace problem, you could splash white for Vindicate, the robitussin of Magic.

A friend of mine is running 3 Chimeric Mass in his pox deck as an extra kill condition, and is really happy with them. Although he is also running Dark Rituals to help power them and a couple raven's crime to make sure the oponents hand is always empty.

Horizon Canopy with a third Crucible would make Entomb more appealing as right now I don't think he runs enough targets for it. The Canopy engine is really quite good in certain matchups, and makes more sense if you splash white, since you can actually use it for mana if needed.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Iare View Post
    To fix the enchantment and Jace problem, you could splash white for Vindicate, the robitussin of Magic.
    White is OK; however green seems to offer more choice with Loam, Abrupt Decay and Malstrome Pulse as well as Thurn as a decent sideboard card.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    White is OK; however green seems to offer more choice with Loam, Abrupt Decay and Malstrome Pulse as well as Thurn as a decent sideboard card.
    dont forget about Krosan Grip if its U/W Miracles being a pain. Although saying that, I've only played the deck once, so I dont know if its that bad of a match-up for us.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by kavaki View Post
    dont forget about Krosan Grip if its U/W Miracles being a pain. Although saying that, I've only played the deck once, so I dont know if its that bad of a match-up for us.
    Between decay and pulse I do not think you need grip. I guess it may depend on your meta but what would you use it on that Decay does not hit? Moat?

Feb 2012
    Wheaton, IL

Pernicious Deed and Maelstrom Pulse hit Moat if you splash green.

So played mono black again this week and got kicked in the nuts with Sylvan Library, even with Ratchet Bomb in the board so hard to deal with in mono color.

Between decay and pulse I do not think you need grip. I guess it may depend on your meta but what would you use it on that Decay does not hit? Moat?
    Batterskull is very important to be able to hit too, considering it is an auto-loss once its hits the board.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Here is my list. It has done extremely well in my limited community but I'd like some input for sideboard and a couple main board decisions

3x Inquisition of Kosilek
    3x thoughtseize
    4x duress

3x bloodghast
    4x sinkhole
    4x smallpox

3x nether spirit
    3x liliana of the veil
    4x pox
    2x crucible of worlds

1x abyss
    1x nether void

3x mishras factory
    4x wasteland
    18x swamps

Sideboard

3x chains of Mephistopheles ( not sure if it helps as much as I would like)
    3x extirpate
    4x leyline of the void ( thinking of removing)
    1x darkblast (thinking of main boarding 1)
    2x innocent blood ( thinking of upping the count)
    1x animate dead (filler)
    1x bloodghast (against slower decks)

So basically I hate crucible of worlds main it seems wasted because every time I can cast it it doesn't matter cause I can cast everything else in the deck. It's also the first card I sideboard out every game. Never missed it. Maybe because I run sinkholes or 25 lands.

I really like darkblast. Darkblast gets a good portion of legacy and dredging nether spirits and bloodghasts to grave is awesome.

Liliana is sweet because she pretty much controls the game. I'm tempted to run 1 more so I always get her but don't want her clogging up my hand.

I have recently thought about adding 3x urborg because it couldn't hurt and if I add 3x urborg then I can also add tabernacle. My only concern about this is adding 4x non basics makes me more susceptible to wastelands especially since I am taking out crucible.

I don't ever think I have mana problems so I think 25 is a good number.

I think I might need innocent bloods main for those first turn creatures when I'm on the draw. Innocent blood / darkblast fit the description not sure what else to take out.

I've locked many games down because of nether void or abyss but worry if I add more they will become wasted. Nether void has proved more helpful though.

Pox is a 4x because I would rather have it and discard a duplicate than be waiting to draw it. The reason is because I usually wait till I can make them discard 2 cards or lose 2 lands. It becomes seriously advantageous when played at the right time and if you are waiting to draw it you may have missed your perfect opportunity.

Also, because my creatures are expendable I was batting around the idea of contamination, but more specifically gate to phyrexia for artifact hate.

Finally since my sideboard is atrocious it needs the most help. And I'm out of ideas because I haven't run into problems. I haven't played against snt or jtms but would imagine that reanimator or snt are weak to pox small pox and lilianas creature sac effects. But idk about jace. Decks don't typically get to 4 mana unless they are digging for it like high tide.

So please help! I have access to all cards in legacy.
    Last edited by apple713; 01-10-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Hi all,

I've been tinkering with a few different cards in my Pox deck.
    Lately I've been giving Ankh of Mishra a bash.

I like it. Mainly because Cursed Scroll regularly eats removal, and this gives me a additional, perpetual damage option.
    It's not perfect, but I've found it fun should you be running a fair amount of land destruction.
    With all of our discard, I've been able to get quite a few turns out of it.
    If they do kill it or extract it, you still have Cursed Scroll.
    In my deck I'm packing two of these, a couple Cursed Scroll and Nether Spirit (with Entomb) as win-con's.

Thoughts?

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

jinxed idol is great for that sort of dmg. If you play enough recurring creatures anyway then give that a go.

Hey all,

Long-time poster over at MTGSalvation, first-time poster here.

I've been wanting to get into Legacy lately, and after researching all my possible options, I think Pox is the deck I would most want to play.

It seems like there are two major subtypes within Pox: (1) discard-heavy builds; and (2) LD-heavy builds.

Discard-heavy builds will run 12+ discard spells and add The Rack and possibly whatever the new 1-drop enchantment from RTR is that functions as copies 5-8 of The Rack.

LD-heavy builds will run less discard in order to make room for 4 Sinkhole, and 2-3 Crucible of Worlds to support Wasteland and possibly Ghost Quarter, as well.

Of these two builds, which would you say is the strongest? I've heard some people say that you inevitably run out of gas in LD-heavy Pox builds (i.e. you can't keep people off lands forever, and they'll eventually get to 3-4 and stomp you). I've heard others say that LD-heavy Pox builds are nigh unbeatable, and that it's very possible to keep people on 0-1 lands the whole game. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Neither Land nor Hand destruction win you the game, that is really the experience you get when playing pox. Eventually your opponent will recover, because your clock is too slow, and then it is GG.

Here is my pre liliana list.

2-3 urborg
    4 wasteland
    3 mishra factory
    13 basic

4 duress/thoughtseize
    4 hymn
    4 smallpox
    2 pox
    2-3 nether spirit
    3 bitterblossom
    3 contamination
    2 sensei divining top
    2 jitte
    1 death shadows

I actually like the interaction of contamination with bitterblossom or nether spirit. Im planning to make 1 again but i dont know if i wil stick with contamination plan. Would desecration demon be a good finisher?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Neither Land nor Hand destruction win you the game, that is really the experience you get when playing pox. Eventually your opponent will recover, because your clock is too slow, and then it is GG.
    I guess the question then becomes which serves as a better form of control while you attempt to get their with Ghasts, Scrolls, Racks, or whatever you've chosen?

I probably tend to think too linearly, but can it be said that (for example, the actual ranks here aren't important), there is a relative strength of approaches to Pox:

1) LD-focused
    2) HD-focused
    3) a 50/50 split of HD and LD

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by sh0opdawoop View Post
    I guess the question then becomes which serves as a better form of control while you attempt to get their with Ghasts, Scrolls, Racks, or whatever you've chosen?

I probably tend to think too linearly, but can it be said that (for example, the actual ranks here aren't important), there is a relative strength of approaches to Pox:

1) LD-focused
    2) HD-focused
    3) a 50/50 split of HD and LD
    Well ultimately, you'd need both. Discard dedication leads to death by top deck. Land destruction leads to death by defenseless. By going both routes, you discard their cheap spells by Inquisition of Kozilek, and then sinkhole their followup land. This causes their hand to stall which makes a turn 3 hymn quite devastating. [or turn 2 hymn + sinkhole via dark rit... dark rit I find best when casting 2 spells with it instead of one.]

Casting smallpox/pox on turns 3-4 just sets them back further while giving you a nether spirit or free swings with factories.

I experimented with both LD and HD. [inquisition, hymn, wrench mind vs. sinkhole, rancid earth, wasteland/ghost quarters] Ultimately, attacking both resources at the same time really is what pox supposed to do best so why not just do it? ^_^

Rack & Ankh of Mishra I'd like better if they could block or kill creatures but that experiment failed me in a creature meta :(

Jul 2006
    Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Well ultimately, you'd need both. Discard dedication leads to death by top deck. Land destruction leads to death by defenseless. By going both routes, you discard their cheap spells by Inquisition of Kozilek, and then sinkhole their followup land. This causes their hand to stall which makes a turn 3 hymn quite devastating. [or turn 2 hymn + sinkhole via dark rit... dark rit I find best when casting 2 spells with it instead of one.]

Casting smallpox/pox on turns 3-4 just sets them back further while giving you a nether spirit or free swings with factories.

I experimented with both LD and HD. [inquisition, hymn, wrench mind vs. sinkhole, rancid earth, wasteland/ghost quarters] Ultimately, attacking both resources at the same time really is what pox supposed to do best so why not just do it? ^_^

Rack & Ankh of Mishra I'd like better if they could block or kill creatures but that experiment failed me in a creature meta :(

Agreed. LD is pretty weak vs combo and discard is weak vs some other stuff.

I switched to a entomb-fueled build and loving it. I love entomb.

Here is the list.

7 x Swamp
    4 x Mishra's Factory
    4 x Urborg
    4 x Wasteland
    2 x Polluted Delta
    1 x Ghost Quarter
    1 x Tabernacle
    1 x Tomb of Urami
    1 x Cabal Pit

4 x Smallpox
    4 x Sinkhole
    4 x Thoughseize
    4 x Inquisition of Koziliek
    2 x Cursed Scroll
    4 x Innocent Blood
    2 x Crucible of Worlds
    4 x Dark ritual
    3 x Liliana of the Veil
    1 x Syphon Soul
    1 x Raven's Crime
    1 x Nether Spirit
    2 x Entomb

Notes:
    I cut Hymn for now and replaced it with targeted discard. I found it critical to have a turn one discard spell vs. combo. Sometimes especially on the draw its much too late for 2 random cards discarded to make a difference. Hymn is an awesome card, yes, but I prefer taking a vital card from the combo player and it often gets spell snared or diverted anyways. I could be wrong but it feels right for now.

Entomb - most often gets the lone creature to block goyf all day, but vs combo or control you can get raven's crime to empty their hand. Vs burn you go for the lone syphon soul (can also be in the board). Too often I've died after stabalizing to lightning bolt, syphon soul lets you gain life back to prevent getting burned out. With crucible out it tutors for special lands, cabal pit to ping delvers, ghost quarter vs. no-basic decks, tomb of urami for decks that can't deal with 5/5 flyers. Can also just get wasteland or polluted delta. (The two saclands are there to get "infinite lands" with crucible out.) feel free to change them to any sac lands you might have.

I run 3 Liliana because I don't need to see multiples, and "you can just discard the extra" doesn't cut it as an excuse to run 4, I'd much rather her be a real card than just discard fodder most days.

I don't like cursed scroll much.

Anyways, Ideas? suggestions? can anyone share another good entomb bullet?

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Arctic Pox: the Legend of the Frozen Witch

Win Conditions (8)
    2 Nether Spirit
    2 Withering Wisps
    4 Mishra's Factory

Spells (14)
    1 Spinning Darkness
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Rancid Earth
    1 Trinisphere

Pox FX (10)
    3 Innocent Blood
    4 Smallpox
    3 Pox

Planeswalkers (4)
    4 Liliana of the Veil

Alt-mana (4)
    4 Dark Ritual

Land (20)
    12 Snow-covered Swamp
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Tombstalker
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Infest
    2 Engineered Plague
    1 Tainted Aether
    1 Spinning Darkness

As you may have noticed, this list is a modified 'budgety' version of Reid Duke's list, with 1 less threat, more Poxes, and further card advantage. My meta is quite varied, but the majority is creatures, hence 8 creature hate cards in the board. The tribal count is kind of weak and the main tribal player kind of hybridized his decks so as to be less weak to Plagues, hence the reduction. Withering Wisps almost nullifies plagues but unlike plague, wisps is a win con. Old card from many pages back

After situations where threshold is hit *note-all the time*, rancid earth is the superior land kill, which meets the Trisphere requirements. I definitely appreciate sinkhole's speed, but when 1-hit pestilence saves you from a small army, you start to think just a bit differently. I love both cards but creature rush metas and fast creatures in general lean me toward that extra mana LD. In metas where creatures are slightly slower and fat, obviously sinkhole is better. I have killed people with rancid earth, but it's rare. The fact that I did it at all was hilarious. Would those of you who live in a field of 1 toughness annoyances, Birds o'P, Dark Confidant, Llanowar Elves, Wizards, etc. wouldn't hurt to give it a try as 2 of perhaps? At best, it 2 for 1's and at worst, it's Rain of Tears. I'd also like to add that I'm local player, not championship player so the cards I fight against are usually more power based. (note Goblin Deathraiders *lol*)

Can Wisps be saved from its intervening "if" clause if you create a creature [mishras] at the end of an opponents main phase? That should work I think.

P.S. Buying Wastelands to replace Ghost Quarters very soon... yesss... [evil laugh]

Quote Originally Posted by slylie View Post
    Agreed. LD is pretty weak vs combo and discard is weak vs some other stuff.

I switched to a entomb-fueled build and loving it. I love entomb.

Entomb - most often gets the lone creature to block goyf all day, but vs combo or control you can get raven's crime to empty their hand. Vs burn you go for the lone syphon soul (can also be in the board). Too often I've died after stabalizing to lightning bolt, syphon soul lets you gain life back to prevent getting burned out. With crucible out it tutors for special lands, cabal pit to ping delvers, ghost quarter vs. no-basic decks, tomb of urami for decks that can't deal with 5/5 flyers. Can also just get wasteland or polluted delta. (The two saclands are there to get "infinite lands" with crucible out.) feel free to change them to any sac lands you might have.

I run 3 Liliana because I don't need to see multiples, and "you can just discard the extra" doesn't cut it as an excuse to run 4, I'd much rather her be a real card than just discard fodder most days.

I don't like cursed scroll much.

Anyways, Ideas? suggestions? can anyone share another good entomb bullet?
    I've been running a pair of Entomb in my build also.
    I like Bloodghast. It works okay with Nether Spirit, as ghast is never in the yard for long.
    I tried persisting with Spirit x2, but I'm liking having a ghast and a spirit a lot more, as I can afford to have both in play and not having to worry about a sweeper killing a win-con for me.
    I like a single Darkblast, and Life from the Loam is awesome.
    Nothing new to this thread really! ;)

Could we use Entomb as a tutor for sideboard targets maybe?, and not just for the typical (Life from the Loam, Darkblast, Worm Harvest, Raven's Crime, Syphon Soul etc.)
    We have a few options for cards that like the graveyard, but not many.
    Anything with Dredge, flashback or Retrace for starters - are the obvious ones.
    Ray of Revelation or Ancient Grudge? You could only cast them from the yard though really in a G/B build, which sucks badly. I'd rather just side in Abrupt Decay if I was going down that line of thought. Humph!

I've been experimenting with a few lately.
    Monstrify for late game. That sucker kills with Crucible or Loam. I'm diggin it so far.
    Another is Vengeful Pharaoh. I keep coming back to this card. I know it's bad, but I just like it.
    Anyone else tried running either of these?

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Arctic Pox: the Legend of the Frozen Witch
    Can Wisps be saved from its intervening "if" clause if you create a creature [mishras] at the end of an opponents main phase? That should work I think.
    Yes there will be a creature on the battlefield (providing they do not kill your Factory) at the start of the end step so Wisp's does not die.
    I have always like Pestilance and since you are not running many colourless sources Withering Wisps is nice.

The ping damage from Rancid Earth is nice and means you do get some value out of that extra mana; downside means it is not so good in the first few turns of the game. Not sure you really want four of them. Also 20 lands with 7 Pox effects and no recursion seems quite low?

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Yes there will be a creature on the battlefield (providing they do not kill your Factory) at the start of the end step so Wisp's does not die.
    I have always like Pestilance and since you are not running many colourless sources Withering Wisps is nice.

The ping damage from Rancid Earth is nice and means you do get some value out of that extra mana; downside means it is not so good in the first few turns of the game. Not sure you really want four of them. Also 20 lands with 7 Pox effects and no recursion seems quite low?
    Actually, 3/1 split of sinkhole/rancid is probably best. It ensures seeing it later. 24 land counting factories. 28 mana sources with dark rit. Topdecked rits become universal bolts if I got 3 Snowswamps in play. Only catch is any less than 12 snow-covered hurts the wisps. I hate mana dorks, but I love that the vast majority of them are 1 toughness... [damn the DRS]. Well, at least infest kills it outright but I find it kind of nuts that it survives turn 1 dark-rit -> plague.

Thread Information