Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The new Legacy metagame

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Re: The new Legacy metagame

Crimhead, that scenario's exactly what I was asking. I also think, though, that a lot of the decks that were performing well against Miracles are still performing well, so I think it's worth comparing.

What I'm trying to figure out is how much of the decks' new dominance is just a result of the disappearance of another top-flight contender. It's only been a few weeks, after all, and the consensus for at least some of those decks seems to be that big changes aren't really necessary.

This might all be a fool's errand: excellent Miracles players might have just picked up other decks with which they were familiar and kept rocking tournaments, a lot of people running other decks with Top might have run for higher ground, etc. I just think that at this stage there are more factors than "a predator is gone" for the reason decks that were competing for the top slots before the ban (and haven't changed much since) are getting a larger share of top-8 results.

Fox, you're right that sideboards and manabases are changing. I just wonder how much those changes are really making a difference.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Arschmann View Post
    Are you really going to dominate with Dredge when you are basically in Deathrite Shaman: The Meta? 4 deathrite 2 surgical is all over the place
    Deathrite doesn't do that much to Dredge, it slows them down a little, but if DRS is your only interaction you're not winning over 50% of the time. 2 Surgical is ok, but also not great. It's enough to filter Dredge out of the top rounds, but not enough to stop them from spiking any smaller tournament.

Are you really going to dominate with Dredge when you are basically in Deathrite Shaman: The Meta? 4 deathrite 2 surgical is all over the place
    Deathrite and surgical aren't nearly enough to convince me to not play dredge. Just sayin, play what you want/know and worry less about the variables is a fine strategy. Magic players have become so convinced by the internet whats safe and not safe to play its fucking pathetic.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Deathrite and surgical aren't nearly enough to convince me to not play dredge. Just sayin, play what you want/know and worry less about the variables is a fine strategy. Magic players have become so convinced by the internet whats safe and not safe to play its fucking pathetic.
    This is something I can agree with
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

What is Street Wraith, the post.

;b

This actually helps Dredge immensly, having to prepare for just DRS and Surgical is way easier to having to deal with them and also rip.

Playing 4 firestorm and 4 SW should already be enought.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Dredge really only needs to be afraid of leyline, rest in peace, and cage.

Most people don't even take the right card with surgical anyway.
    -rob

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

The current problem for Dredge isn't Deathrite and Surgical being ubiquitous. It's that Miracles is now gone, and no deck has stepped up to take it's place. Grixis is by far the most played deck. But the big plus and minus for Grixis is it has no direct path to victory. So there is no linear way to attack it. So without a best deck that a sideboard can be tuned toward, most players are fleshing theirs out by expanding existing slots. Instead of 2 Pyroblast they run 3. And instead of 2 Surgical, 1 Cage, they've added a second. In the aggregate, this adds to a huge problem. Especially in cantrip decks with multiple ways to find them. Even more so because they are two completely different axis' of hate Dredge needs to prepare for.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

One trend (possibly & preliminarily) I'm seeing in recent events, compared to late Top meta and very early Top-less meta, is that Bant Deathblade and Czech Pile, AKA 4-color monstrosities, might be experiencing a drop-off.

Nov 2012
    Central New York

Seeing the top 16 from this weekends SCG Legacy event just made my pants seem tighter for some reason. If this is the type of stuff people will be playing now, I'm in!
    Today I am become death. The destroyer of worlds. -Oppenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by Madmankevinx View Post
    Seeing the top 16 from this weekends SCG Legacy event just made my pants seem tighter for some reason. If this is the type of stuff people will be playing now, I'm in!
    So, in the last day we've gotten top 16s of
    SCG Louisville with:

Jund Depths
    Infect
    Food Chain
    Grixis Delver
    U/B Landstill
    Belcher
    BUG Delver
    Grixis Delver
    Maverick
    Sneak and Show
    Elves
    Shardless BUG
    Aggro Loam
    Sneak and Show
    Eldrazi
    B/R Reanimator

And the MTGO Legacy Challenge with:

Elves
    Dragon Stompy
    Infect
    Food Chain
    Dark Depths
    Grixis Delver
    BRUG Cascade
    Topless Miracles
    Czech Pile
    ANT
    U/R Delver
    Death and Taxes
    Sneak and Show
    Aluren
    Death and Taxes
    BUG Delver

Gawjus.

I like it better than this so far

I must agree that's a fine looking spread! It's promising to see 3 control archetypes that might have what it takes to be strong in the new meta.

Sad to see no aggro still. But Burn will always "under-achieve" (being unpopular among seasoned players). Maybe if there is an uptick in Legacy's popularity we can get some Affinity players migrating from Modern.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Also a recent mtgo event had three miracles decks at 5-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    I must agree that's a fine looking spread! It's promising to see 3 control archetypes that might have what it takes to be strong in the new meta.

Sad to see no aggro still. But Burn will always "under-achieve" (being unpopular among seasoned players). Maybe if there is an uptick in Legacy's popularity we can get some Affinity players migrating from Modern.
    Are we on denial, or is this an echo chamber? There's no control, not even close. The 4cc (or that screw-up name czech pile) is nowhere near the classical sense of control, neither is Standstill. Mid-range strategy is called mid-range at best, don't try to sneak the word control into it.

The result can be interpreted as in flux. It's mostly combos vs tempos vs people trying to figure the meta. I expect something similar in the GP.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Standstill is not control? Ok. That's news.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Standstill is not control? Ok. That's news.
    What, you didn't realize that? There was never a control deck in MtG's history until Miracles came around in Legacy. Even Brian Weissman, damn him to hell, ran SERRA ANGELS! You don't run dastardly creatures in a control deck!

At least, that's what I've understood from reading over these threads

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Big McLargeHuge View Post
    What, you didn't realize that? There was never a control deck in MtG's history until Miracles came around in Legacy. Even Brian Weissman, damn him to hell, ran SERRA ANGELS! You don't run dastardly creatures in a control deck!

At least, that's what I've understood from reading over these threads
    Lets be real here if you're running creatures bigger than a 2/x you're playing an aggro deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

First italian big event since the banning

Pretty sick metagame over here
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

4 color baleful strix aggro

UB creeping factory midrange

^Fixed the nomenclature:

Lands Midrange 1
    Ad Nauseam Tendrils 2
    Tezzeret Midrange 3
    Aluren 4
    BUG Midrange 5
    Grixis Pyromancer 6
    4c Midrange 7
    Death and Taxes 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    4 color baleful strix aggro

UB creeping factory midrange

^Fixed the nomenclature:

Lands Midrange 1
    Ad Nauseam Tendrils 2
    Tezzeret Midrange 3
    Aluren 4
    BUG Midrange 5
    Grixis Pyromancer 6
    4c Midrange 7
    Death and Taxes 8
    To be fair: The so-called BUG Control is Shardless BUG. If that's not Midrange, I am losing it right now...

Thread Information