Page 143 of 645 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243643 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 12895

Thread: Miracle Control

Site Contributor

Feb 2013

Re: [DTB] Miracle Control

Quote Originally Posted by Polish Tamales View Post
    Hey there, I've noticed oarsman on MTGO's been doing great in the dailies. Anyone got his stream channel name on Twitch?

I'd love to get his 2 cents in with Thassa.
    http://www.twitch.tv/oarsman79

Storyboard & Comic Artist
    May 2011
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherick View Post
    Awesome! Thanks!
    Producer of Tonkatsu Taco
    Comic contributor for ManaDeprived.com ,LegitMTG.com, & GatheringMagic.com
    You can find my daily sketches & cartoons on Polishtamales.com!

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by somethingdotdotdot View Post
    D&T also ignores a large swath of the cards in this deck: pierce, counterbalance, counterspell, and fow if drawn too late. That's about 10 cards that are essentially dead.
    I agree that EE is a great card against D&T, but I wouldn't say that Counterbalance and Counterspell are dead cards against them. D&T's big trump post-board is to Cataclysm us. I would definitely not board out all of my counter magic.

Counterbalance really isn't so bad either. They have only Mangara and ORing as a way to remove it. They have only 4 (sometimes 5) ways to get around it with Aether Vial and the occasional miser Cavern of Souls. Vial likely won't come down after Counterbalance, so you only have to Needle, remove, or bounce a Vial that landed before your Counterbalance. After that, a CMC 3 on top will most likely lock them out of the game.

Clique, Entreat, and ORing/DSphere all are 3 CMC and all happen to be very good against D&T.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzra View Post
    I agree that EE is a great card against D&T, but I wouldn't say that Counterbalance and Counterspell are dead cards against them. D&T's big trump post-board is to Cataclysm us. I would definitely not board out all of my counter magic.

Counterbalance really isn't so bad either. They have only Mangara and ORing as a way to remove it. They have only 4 (sometimes 5) ways to get around it with Aether Vial and the occasional miser Cavern of Souls. Vial likely won't come down aDont. Counterbalance, so you only have to Needle, remove, or bounce a Vial that landed before your Counterbalance. After that, a CMC 3 on top will most likely lock them out of the game.

Clique, Entreat, and ORing/DSphere all are 3 CMC and all happen to be very good against D&T.
    Dont forget Blood Moon which also works wonders on their frail manabase och is a 3 cmc

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

I Top8-ed the Austrian Legacy Championship 2013 / Legacy Invitational. 29 people qualified themselves over the year, 25 turned up for the Final. I expected RUG + Combo to be the majority of the field, followed by Shardless at third place. I started my list with 4 RIP + 4 Balance cause it's good vs RUG/Combo. Then I added 4 Flusterstorm, cause those rock too against this two decks. In the process I cut red and the tutorbox (from my GP Strasbourg-list which still functions as a perfect deckbuilding-basis for me). Then I quadlazered all of this list and ended up with this:

//Lands
    4 Tundra
    5 Island
    2 Plains
    2 Karakas
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    //Quad
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Counterbalance
    4 Rest in Peace
    4 Force of Will
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshaes
    4 Terminus
    //Stuff
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Helm of Obediance
    //Sideboard
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Entreat the Angles
    2 Baneslayer Angel
    2 Timely Reinforcements
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Vendilion Clique

Swiss-Rounds:

1) 2-0 vs Sneak Attack (camera-feature-match)
    2) 1-2 vs Deathblade and the eventual tournament winner and therefore Legacy Champion 2013 (camera-feature-match)
    3) 2-0 vs TES
    4) 2-0 vs Death and Taxes
    5) ID

Top8)
    0-2 vs Deathblade

Despite me not winning the title it was a good feeling to be back at Miracles, my true pet-deck since GP Ghent+Strasbourg :D I really liked the list, especially the Sideboard, which may be more useful for others than my pretty meta-tuned mainboard. I really liked 4 Balance and the Cliques. Starting to dislike Helm, a 4th Jace would have been better. Even though RIP didn't have a lot of options to shine at this very tournament I am still overly confident in playing 3+ of them. Flusterstorm was worth his gold.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Where can we watch the feature matches? Point us in the right direction please.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

They are being uploaded right now - this process will probably be completed at Friday. I will post links as soon as all of the Championship is online.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Splashing vs. D&T gives you such hits as Dread of Night and Izzet Staticaster, both of which are easy to resolve against their manabase assault.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Won $60 going 4-0 at CardKingdom's weekly. We got around 30 players this time. Lordofthepit was curious about my decklist, so thought I might as well post it and a brief recap on The Source.
    I bought some alpha basic Plains in St. Louis on my way to Seattle, figured it was time to give them some love. Also the field seemed ripe for Miracles with a bunch of combo decks and few BG/x Decay decks and W/x hatebears decks.

My list is what I scrambled to put together in 10 minutes from memory of alphastryk's list. It's a bit budget, I only have 3 Flooded Strands and one Blood Moon from The Dark.
    // 39 Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Ponder
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Spell Pierce
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Entreat the Angels
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Elspeth, Knight Errant
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will
    3 Terminus

// 21 Lands
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Flooded Strand
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    5 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    1 Karakas

// Sideboard
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Celestial Purge
    1 Disenchant
    2 Flusterstorm

R1 - U/R Burn
    Game 1 I finally stabilized at 1 life with CB-Top and Jace fatesealing. Game 2 I was so close to stabilizing, but couldn't find an answer to his top-decked Goblin Guide. Game 3 we went to time, but he conceeded to CB-Top, Jace, and Force, Pierce, Flusterstorm in hand with me at 7. Jace was boss, I had forgotten how fun he is.
    1-0

R2 - Jund
    Game 1 he wisely Thoughtseized my Enlightened Tutor after I led on Top, but I ripped another and set up a turn 3 Blood Moon. He unfortunately had the basic Forest to cast Goyf, Goyf, Bloodbraid, Deathrite over several turns. I Plowed Goyf, Forced Bloodbraid, then found RiP and eventually Helm to seal the game at 4 life. Game 2 he had a slow start but I was having trouble finding lands. I Purged his Liliana and dropped a couple RiPs but he had another. I Entreated for 2, he Decayed both then ultimated Lili, piling Island, Island, Plains in one, Mountain, RiP, RiP in the other. Obviously took the 3 lands. Found an O-Ring soon after, and eventually found my way into the third RiP and a Helm.
    2-0

R3 - Canadian Thresh
    Game 1 he was representing Stifle pretty hard so I led on a fetch to try to get him if he tapped out. He didn't, and he Wasted my next two land drops - Tundras. Fortunately he didn't have any pressure. I went for a Counterbalance, he Dazed. Went for the ambitious Rest in Peace on 2 lands, resolved. From there I had enough time to resolve Top, find lands, E-Tutor, and a Force. Decided to go for it with 5 lands in play, Force backup with me at 8 and 2 Mongeese on the board - good thing I did! He had Force, Daze, double Bolt in hand for lethal next turn. Game 2 I resolved a naked Counterbalance pretty early and accrued card advantage until I won with Helm / <irrelevant>.
    3-0

R4 - Lordofthepit playing Elves
    I thought he was on zoo, so I kept a hand with Brainstorm, Terminus, Terminus, and lands. Turns out he was on Elves. Yeah that hand is pretty good. Also Topped into the third Terminus like a champ. Elspeth + Jace + Counterbalance + Top won the game. Game 2 I brought in 2 more wraths. I Jaced him out I think. Not really relevant.
    4-0

I had forgotten how sweet Miracles is. The Jund matchup felt very hard, I was lucky to escape alive. Quick Blood Moon is good, but not enough. I was very very happy to have the combo-kill as a way to just win out of nowhere against those decks with a lot of reach. I think I would play a second Pyroclasm over the Verdict though.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

@ phazonmuant

Congratulations on the finish! I moved out of the Seattle area over a year ago and I miss Card Kingdom, but I am glad they still have a healthy legacy scene.

How does UWr Miracle fair in the Shardless BUG match-up?

While I currently play Shardless BUG, a lot of people in my meta are moving toward this deck and I do not like the idea of playing multiple mirror matches per tournament. My experience playing with Shardless BUG against Miracle Control is limited to the UW variety, but in those matchups, I felt like BUG is favored. If I were playing UWr Miracles with Blood Moon, REB, and Misdirection in the sideboard I am not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    Won $60 going 4-0 at CardKingdom's weekly. We got around 30 players this time. Lordofthepit was curious about my decklist, so thought I might as well post it and a brief recap on The Source.
    I bought some alpha basic Plains in St. Louis on my way to Seattle, figured it was time to give them some love. Also the field seemed ripe for Miracles with a bunch of combo decks and few BG/x Decay decks and W/x hatebears decks.

// 21 Lands
    I stop reading when I see the number 21, next to the word Lands. You should visit LV, apparently you've survived Wastelands and Stifles like they are nothing.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Phazonmuant, thanks for the list.

I really like the Blood Moon and the Enlightened Tutor package (especially for cards like Rest in Peace and Canonist), although I also like various aspect of oarsman's build since it seems stronger against a resolved Liliana.

I am a bit concerned about the low counterspell count and the 21 lands, one of which is a basic Mountain, but I guess you can't have it all.

I might try running something similar one of these days. :-)

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by SansSerif View Post
    @ phazonmuant

While I currently play Shardless BUG, a lot of people in my meta are moving toward this deck and I do not like the idea of playing multiple mirror matches per tournament. My experience playing with Shardless BUG against Miracle Control is limited to the UW variety, but in those matchups, I felt like BUG is favored. If I were playing UWr Miracles with Blood Moon, REB, and Misdirection in the sideboard I am not so sure.
    The matchup is certainly interesting.

The blood moon is obviously insane against Shardless as many lists are running zero basics. Combine that with RIP to negate their Deathrite, and they're just about out of ways to interact with you.

After that, it seems to be that their biggest threats are the ability to cascade and the hand distruption. A lot of that can be negated with stuff from your sideboard. Leyline of Sanctity stops all the discard except liliana. Rule of law stops them from being able to cascade (or do much of anything.

One other thing to keep in mind is that having a land on top of your deck isn't a bad thing in this case - revealing a 0 to counterbalance stops their Ancestral Recall for
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    I stop reading when I see the number 21, next to the word Lands. You should visit LV, apparently you've survived Wastelands and Stifles like they are nothing.
    While you may be right about the land count as a weakness, I appreciate the time you took to pen this snarky message. When I first read phazonmuant's post, more than anything else, I was dying to know whether twndomn read the report.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by SansSerif View Post
    @ phazonmuant

Congratulations on the finish! I moved out of the Seattle area over a year ago and I miss Card Kingdom, but I am glad they still have a healthy legacy scene.

Thanks! We had this discussion a few pages ago, here's a little blurb:
    I'm not the most experienced BUG Agent player, but I'm something like 75% against alphastryk when we've tested the matchup. The best two ways to win are Blood Moon if I tap out or an Entreat for 3+. Sometimes Jace gets there. Rest in Peace usually buys a few turns.

Seems like the only real plan is all Blood Moon, all the time
    Haven't played against BUG Agent with Miracles, but I've played the other side. Seemed like everyone agreed it wasn't favorable and that Blood Moon is an acceptable plan, although not enough if you can't clear the board within a turn or two.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit
    I really like the Blood Moon and the Enlightened Tutor package (especially for cards like Rest in Peace and Canonist), although I also like various aspect of oarsman's build since it seems stronger against a resolved Liliana.
    Can't claim credit, alphastryk has rebuilt the deck in front of me so many times that I could (mostly) recreate it from memory. You're probably right that oarsman's build is better against a resolved Liliana, but I'm not sure that it's stronger overall, even in that matchup. Celestial Purge was sweet once, 2 copies aren't unreasonable, and Leyline of Sanctity as a 1-of isn't bad either. Also, RiP-Helm can kill them literally out of nowhere, and you can pretty easily catch them tapped out or force them to burn Decays on other hateful permanents. But I haven't played the deck nearly as much as most of the people in this thread, so those are just gut feels from playing against Miracles a lot and playing those matchups once or twice.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn
    4-0'ing a 30-man is pretty irrelevant as far as stastical or experiential significance goes. But if I remember right, you have never once even hinted that you've done well with the deck at any sort of tournament. I know for a fact that other people have called you out for being a parasite before. I would hardly describe you not reading my recap as heartbreaking.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Right after dismembering a few Grixis Delver, UBG Delvers and such last night in our LGS with tight play, Ponder and quadruple Entreat, I wonder why a lot of the available cheat-tools to secure landdrops don't make a comeback?

I'm a 100% sure I will shock my next tournament opponents with Land Tax + Path to Exile + 4 Entreat!

Woooooooo!!!
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

4-0'ing a 30-man is pretty irrelevant as far as stastical or experiential significance goes. But if I remember right, you have never once even hinted that you've done well with the deck at any sort of tournament. I know for a fact that other people have called you out for being a parasite before. I would hardly describe you not reading my recap as heartbreaking.
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Right after dismembering a few Grixis Delver, UBG Delvers and such last night in our LGS with tight play, Ponder and quadruple Entreat, I wonder why a lot of the available cheat-tools to secure landdrops don't make a comeback?

I'm a 100% sure I will shock my next tournament opponents with Land Tax + Path to Exile + 4 Entreat!

Woooooooo!!!
    You have my attention. Would you please elaborate? This is quite interesting....A sample build (not necessarily what you have going) would be a good start.

-ABC

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

R3 - Canadian Thresh
    Decided to go for it with 5 lands in play, Force backup with me at 8 and 2 Mongeese on the board - good thing I did! He had Force, Daze, double Bolt in hand for lethal next turn.
    I'm curious to know how the Canadian player played this.
    If I were him I would assume you have some protection in hand and play to make you tap your last land to prevent you to go off this turn: therefore I would have played daze because even if you have FoW you would almost always pay 1, otherwise you would be dead to my FoW or spell pierce.
    It's also legit since with this board state your only dead if I have double bolt with 4 cards, which is not as frequent as double counter.
    If you pay for the daze then I have to draw a blue card to pitch for my FoW, so even if you have your FoW I can still win.

This plan is based on the canadian assuming you have fow and hoping to draw a blue card next turn, but I think it's the best strategy in this situation: what do you think?
    Ignorance is strength

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    You have my attention. Would you please elaborate? This is quite interesting....A sample build (not necessarily what you have going) would be a good start.

-ABC
    I will give you more insight about the land-tax list after work.

For yesterday evening, I really enjoyed running 4 Ponder on 22 lands to secure landdrops, dig for Swords to Plowshares/Counterbalance and setup 2 Terminus / 4 Entreat.

I noticed the need to play off strong topdecks with all the massive discard in the metagame and if you constantly hit your landdrops (to foil Daze/Spell Pierce/Wasteland/Stifle) and play your deck off the top with SDT, Ponder and Brainstorm, most Tempo-archtypes (including Variants with Tombstalker and Goofy) cannot get a grip on the match or handle the confusion, if you flip over the roles in this matchup and suddenly play "Angel Stompy" with 1-2 Tokens against a single Delver, Tarmogoyf or Young Pyromancer.

Reid Duke once tried to make Land Tax work with Daze, but setting back yourself on lands was bad. If you want to run more Entreats I figured out that you want to do the opposite and picked up an interaction a local writer once mentioned aka using Path to Exile to either grant your opponent another Land to turn on the Land tax or make them refuse to find a land, turning PtE into an unconditional removal against fair decks and almost all tempo-variants (which usually don't run basics).

More to come.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information