Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Release date: April 23, 2021

So, the schools are enemy-colored pairs. Also, shows a new template, "mana value" replaced "converted mana cost" since it is less words, so takes up less space on cards.

Mystic Archive cards, alternate border, not Standard legal (but most will become legal in Historic, although not DT and StP for sure). Also, DT previews a new template, dropping "your library" from "shuffle." Sort of like Masterpeices but guaranteed to be one per Booster (no matter what sort of booster pack). There are also alternate art Japanese ones as well:

I believe they said these will be available in English Collectors Boosters as well.

(If you think of a witty title for the thread, I'll change it.)
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

Out of those commands, the BG and UR one seem like they're the most playable ones. The white ones suck, so no surprises here.

Let's just hope they fired whoever came up with UG cards in the last two years.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Out of those commands, the BG and UR one seem like they're the most playable ones. The white ones suck, so no surprises here.

Let's just hope they fired whoever came up with UG cards in the last two years.
    Not so fast on the UG call, bounces Lage and can be an Annul. Also has anti-Thassa text.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

UG has some utility, but I don't think the power level is all that high. I agree though that off the bat, UR and BG look like the best ones with the UG being marginal and the two white ones being maybe EDH playable (in a pinch).

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Since the BG one can return any land, it can act as a mini-Loam to return a Wasteland while also killing a small creature or permanent - for 2 mana. That's a huge swing in tempo.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Since the BG one can return any land, it can act as a mini-Loam to return a Wasteland while also killing a small creature or permanent - for 2 mana. That's a huge swing in tempo.
    "Destroy target noncreature"

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    "Destroy target noncreature"
    Yes, but it can also give -3/-1 to a creature. So, while not necessarily lethal to any creature, it can remove some small ones.

The power level on these cards is just right (which means they will only see play as situational role players in legacy). And that’s good.

The BG is not overpowered but will 100% see play. Decays primary purpose is to kill chalice and small creatures. Loam’s primary point is to recur wasteland. This card does both effects and will see play in B lands builds and loam decks.

It’s 2 W6 activations and can also kill chalice and vial. Kill a mom, get back a wasteland is 90% of what w6 got banned for. This is faster and more flexible but not infinite value. Anything 2 mana that has a chance to 2 for 1 will see play.

More fringe, the face drain is quite relevant vs or in marit lage decks. The shrink in combination with big creatures like KOTR could kill things decay could not (for example, a ooze with one counter can block a mandrills for free). The mill screws up mystic sanctuary or doomsday. The mill clears library/brainstorm and digs for an actual loam. Can blank surgical on wasteland or depths.

The 1UR seems iffy compared to kcommand, but actually is really good compared to abrade. It gives a mana refund, so it can actually be the same mana cost any turn past t2. It is a better top deck. It can go face. It can pitch to fow. Later in the game, looting is totally worth the extra mana.

The looting increases the floor of the card substantially, just like the cycling on Wilt does. Would you bring in abrade vs lands? It could easily be dead, but if not you could get punked by a random sphere. Dig for lands and making a mana source in response to a port though is also great. Or shock their face and dig for another bolt if they are at 5 and about to make a lage.

All the x/3s just got banned. This seems very good in ur delver.

1UG one might see play in infect sb since it covers both planeswalkers, Marit Lage, and plague engineers. But pretty bad.

The other ones are >3 cmc spells in legacy, but totally fine for standard.

Edit: I did miss that UG beats doomsday sometimes, maybe ok?
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 02-19-2021 at 10:22 AM.

By themselves those Japanese cards look fantastic but is this really how mtg cards should look like?

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    By themselves those Japanese cards look fantastic but is this really how mtg cards should look like?
    Given that the card-frame changes were ridiculous already and that they jumped the shark with Amonkhet masterpieces, I'm almost okay with those.

But yeah, wasn't the whole point of having things like a colored border to make it so you could tell what cards . . . uh . . . do?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Given that the card-frame changes were ridiculous already and that they jumped the shark with Amonkhet masterpieces, I'm almost okay with those.

But yeah, wasn't the whole point of having things like a colored border to make it so you could tell what cards . . . uh . . . do?
    Time Spiral Remastered will be a soothing return to form.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    No border >>> modern border.

Why are the blue commands the best ones, like always

What do they have against the color pair boros exactly

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    Why are the blue commands the best ones, like always

What do they have against the color pair boros exactly
    Because their narrow definitions of the color pie basically reduces the "available" effects to be borderline worthless.

Remember the Forces in Modern Horizons?
    White and red aren't even worth the paper they're printed on.

It's surprising that they even bothered to complete the cycle.
    In Zendikar they just gave up on the Inscriptions and didn't do a red or white one.

On another note, why is this spoiled already?
    It feels like Kaldheim came out like 2 weeks ago.
    I know February is a short month but still.

Since this is the Harry Potter set, I'm kind of interested to see for what themes they go and utterly fail at.
    Can't wait for the backwards ass anti-bullying message.
    Bonus points for yet another Teferi as teacher and failing his character completely.
    Would at least allow for an all Teferis deck in Modern.

May 2015
    PDX

There is a pretty outrageous amount of Stifle main, Torpor SB without any 12/12s in the deck going on right now. Red Force is hard castable into a fresh untap for Stifle - this is a better use than most non-Dreadnought decks have for Stifle. The red one has legs. Like you actually have to justify why this card isn't in such a deck if it can make RR.

Calling the other four cards in the cycle "Force of" is how you knew the whole cycle was going to blow chunks after Negation.

I'm still mad that they decided what older formats needed was yet more free countermagic for blue just so that pure greed can never ever be punished. And also fuck Loam I guess.

Anyway enough ranting, let's see what decks will be made further unplayable by whatever broken blue printing they'll come up with in this set.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Because their narrow definitions of the color pie basically reduces the "available" effects to be borderline worthless.

Remember the Forces in Modern Horizons?
    White and red aren't even worth the paper they're printed on.

It's surprising that they even bothered to complete the cycle.
    In Zendikar they just gave up on the Inscriptions and didn't do a red or white one.
    I think WOTC does Boros dirty as much as you do, but the white force (being proactive) could easily have been too strong. It sees more play than force of despair anyways.

Not completing the cycle gave us 2 of the strongest Boros cards for legacy in recent years, whereas none of the inscriptions see legacy play: the “retreat” cycle of Valkut Exploration and Felidar Retreat.

Imo in the context of standard both white commands are better than the Simic one. The GB is better than the Izzet one imo.

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    I'm still mad that they decided what older formats needed was yet more free countermagic for blue just so that pure greed can never ever be punished. And also fuck Loam I guess.

Anyway enough ranting, let's see what decks will be made further unplayable by whatever broken blue printing they'll come up with in this set.
    Eh, i think Modern is better with Force in it which was their goal. Even in legacy Force only gets played in limited quantities to supplement original flavor Force for when you Absolutely Positively Must keep the combo deck in check.

Sep 2011

Good thing no deck at all could profit off playing 12 Forces and become Tier 1. And that 80-card control has no chance of beating glass cannon combo by maindecking 7-8 Forces.

Thread Information