Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Masters

Modern Masters

Today Aaron Forsythe was on the ProTour webcast and announced "Modern Masters," scheduled to be released in June 2013. Apparently, it's a limited-run, draftable reprint set that features exclusively Modern-playables.

229 card set, 53 rares, 15 mythics. Comes in 24-pack booster boxes, MSRP $6.99/pack. Each pack comes with a foil, no basic lands. Goyf is confirmed at Mythic.

With all of the recent discussion about Wizard's support of Legacy v. Modern, I find this pretty interesting.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Re: Modern Masters

Quote Originally Posted by mcfarland View Post
    Today, Aaron Forsythe was on the ProTour webcast and announced "Modern Masters," scheduled to be released in June 2013. Apparently, it's a draftable reprint set that features exclusively Modern-playables.

229 card set, 53 rares, 15 mythics. Comes in 24-pack booster boxes, MSRP $6.99/pack. Each pack comes with a foil, no basic lands.

Tarmogoyf is confirmed at Mythic.
    This is good news for legacy as well. Cheaper Tarmogoyfs, Thoughtseizes, Confidants, Cliques, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicar in a tutu View Post
    This is good news for legacy as well. Cheaper Tarmogoyfs, Thoughtseizes, Confidants, Cliques, etc.
    Yay more Russian, Korean for you and for me. I'm guessing still no Jace, tMS since he's banned in Modern.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    Yay more Russian, Korean for you and for me. I'm guessing still no Jace, tMS since he's banned in Modern.
    Yes, they confirmed nothing on the modern banned list will be included.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    It's English-only. Don't expect great price drops on foreign "pimp" cards.

Dread Returned
    Jul 2012
    Maryland

The only downside I see to this product is yeah the English only part of it I want my Russian Vendilion Cliques!

This is going to be tailored towards Modern, but there is likely to be some good Legacy Staples reprinted in this set as well (Tarmogoyf obviously one of the biggest ones being reprinted)

I expect to see Thoughtseize as well
    Currently Playing:
    Dredge, The Rock, Lands, Spiral Tide, Affinity

May 2011
    Louisiana

So these cards will not be Standard legal right?

I don't think Wizards has done anything similar to this since Chronicles. Hopefully this will be better executed than Chronicles.

Do we know if there will be updated artwork? Tarmogoyf's current artwork reminds of something that gets flushed down the toilet after I have eaten too many Big Macs and Spearmint flavored snow-balls.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Definately going to see Dark Confidant, which is fantastic because i need a set, and getting one for a little cheaper, however much that is, makes me happy. Oh, I'll be playing it in legacy though (sorry WotC!)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    So these cards will not be Standard legal right?

I don't think Wizards has done anything similar to this since Chronicles. Hopefully this will be better executed than Chronicles.

Do we know if there will be updated artwork? Tarmogoyf's current artwork reminds of something that gets flushed down the toilet after I have eaten too many Big Macs and Spearmint flavored snow-balls.
    I remember how angry most of the guys at my local card shop got after Chronicles came out. I thought it was great, though. :)

They're not going to be Standard legal, and the Goyf art can be found here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...asters?pg=last

What are the implications of this set (and the way Wizards push Modern as their eternal format) on the viability of Legacy? Any chances that SCG will run Modern on Sunday instead of Legacy? Do you consider selling some legacy staples ? Am I the only one getting nervous about the value of my legacy collection?

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was going to buy some goyfs, guess I'll wait until this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfarland View Post
    Today Aaron Forsythe was on the ProTour webcast and announced "Modern Masters," scheduled to be released in June 2013. Apparently, it's a limited-run, draftable reprint set that features exclusively Modern-playables.
    Hrm...how "limited" a run could we be talking? Because that really makes a big difference. Could this possibly be used for, say, FNM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Definately going to see Dark Confidant, which is fantastic because i need a set, and getting one for a little cheaper, however much that is, makes me happy. Oh, I'll be playing it in legacy though (sorry WotC!)
    I don't think it's a definitely. I agree we will see a Dark Confidant in some set in 2014, but I will not rule out him appearing in one of the Return to Ravnica sets.

Not a big fan of Tarmogoyf's new art. I wasn't that big on the old art but it had a certain charm to it, whereas this one...meh.

Aug 2011
    Italy

I wonder how this announcement will affect the prices of Legacy playable staples like Thoughtseize, Goyf... After so many years of reprints speculation we'll see the true effect of a major reprint on multi format money cards.

Well, I guess we can't complain anymore about them not keeping their promise of reprinting Modern staples. They made a freaking set just for it.

I really hope they reprint a bunch of juicy expensive cards and reprint cheaper stuff with different art. That's what I wanna see from that set.

And also hope it's a higher print than the other limited products they release. F*ck the collectors, we wanna play the game!

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Eat that deer Goyf!
    Goyf looks so weird without the Future Sight Frame.

I also wonder, since there will be more modern staples that are also legacy playable, will that drive the Legacy-exclusive staples up even more?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by UnsungHero View Post

Eat that deer Goyf!
    Goyf looks so weird without the Future Sight Frame.

I also wonder, since there will be more modern staples that are also legacy playable, will that drive the Legacy-exclusive staples up even more?
    Likely.

Depending on the contents of this set, I might actually consider drafting it (something I've never done with anything but Cube).

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Hey I start liking Modern. They start reprinting alot of Legacystaples too, which might make it easier for others to step into our format. Well, not too bad Wizards. Sadly that wasn't your first intention, but I am happy either way, as long as it does help Legacy.

Buh..that Goyfs looks way worse than mine do.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

I wonder how the ev is going to work for this item, I'm guessing that the mythics will be the $30+ cards but even then having a set of only staples seems like it would be insane value. Maybe I'm just blanking but most modern staple rares alone would recoup the cost of a pack, then you get things like path to exile, remand and spell snare. It seems like even if reprinting halved prices across the board it would still be a good buy.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

meh, I'll buy the singles when they're finally cheaper again.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Goyf is a mythic in $7 packs. Wow...great job Wizards...NOT!

This is almost as poorly conceived a product as the incredibly expensive, limited-print Commander's Arsenal. Wizards is really striking out lately.

Thread Information