Page 51 of 338 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 6756

Thread: [Deck] 12 Post

Re: [Deck] Turbo Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee View Post
    ah ok. this explains quite a bit. thanks.
    What else would you expect to play in an invitational?

Apr 2008
    Storrs Mansfield, Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by NEELEY View Post
    What else would you expect to play in an invitational?
    There are two schools of thought in regarding to the deck's constitution:

1. Assume to play against the DTB list, going from Top 8's and playing to the odds of playing against them. This approach is the safest and allows you to build your deck towards stability and redundancy. I have built versions of the deck to this theory in the past and the deck performs admirably, given you do not release the one lynchpin of this system, pairings against random combo. No pairings against outlier, but still present decks that can give consistency a run for its money is vital to this composition. Elves, MUD, Dragon Stompy, Belcher are rogue combo decks that trounce this plan, along with not being able to accommodate the silver-bullet approach to sideboarding that is encouraged with this design concept that invariably offers too-little or no coverage against present matchups you are choosing to dodge, in your case "Omni."

2. The second approach involves minor, but relevant changes to this consistent approach. Including more tutors, accelerants, clutch removal, or counters main, while reducing your locus count and increasing the blue count are the characteristic traits. Trinket Mage, Oracle, Bonfire, Fow/Fluster/SwanSong all main in some fashion all lend themselves to needing unusual responses game 1 that can lead into a reinforced plan game two/three. You purposely are weakening your matchups that are drop-dead-easy in the DTB section, and preemptively reinforcing your strategies against difficult matchups. This strategy plans on playing against the problem matchups and not getting knocked out of the tournament, while still having strong game (but not as strong as possible game) against the DTB.

As I mentioned, I have played versions of the deck that ran both plans and they both work meta-depending. For an Invitational I could see the logic behind going with a consistent DTB-slaying machine and it served you well, going 7-1 and getting 12th. At the NJ invitational I brought the opposite approach of counterspells and beat-random and went 7-1 getting 11th. Both plans work, but one of the plans relies on pairings, while the other relies on deck knowledge, statistics and experience, which I prefer after playing the deck for so long.

The real me is no match for the legend.
    Oct 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio

Hi everyone. I've been following this thread for a few weeks now. I go in and out of playing Magic (started playing during Ice Age...which is an apt metaphor). I've been playing something with Cloudposts in it pretty much since the card came out. I saw that Rock Lee has been pretty much leading the charge with the deck so I've followed up since.

Granted, my deck is a fair bit weaker. I'm only missing "a few" cards...that just happen to be all of the cards that are $100 and up, meaning no Tropical Islands (I use Breeding Pool), no Candelabras and no Tabernacle...which means I have to get creative. I've been playing for a few weeks to mixed results: a few play mistakes on my part, a few bouts of bad luck. I took notes last week but being as I don't run the strongest version of the deck due to somewhat having budget constraints, I would understand if you would rather pass on my input.

In any case, I'm entering a tournament today with a couple duals (including a Tropical Island) as the prize, so if there's any interest I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going with a Miracle-heavy build Rock used a while back, but I have no Force of Will either so I'm probably going to stick with Show and Tell. From what I've seen (and frequently lost to) in my meta, people are playing the following:

At least two Goblin decks, one OmniShow, one Pox, one Shardless BUG, one BUG with Delver, one Death and Taxes, one U/R Burn with Delver, at least two straight Burn decks, one AnT/Storm variant, at least two or three RUG Delver, one Reanimator, one Dredge, one Manaless Dredge, one High Tide, one Lands (I think he runs 36), and then a few other decks that I couldn't really classify.

If there's interest, like I said, I'll throw in more info and input...otherwise, move along and I'll just go back to lurking :P

There are two schools of thought in regarding to the deck's constitution:

1. Assume to play against the DTB list, going from Top 8's and playing to the odds of playing against them. This approach is the safest and allows you to build your deck towards stability and redundancy. I have built versions of the deck to this theory in the past and the deck performs admirably, given you do not release the one lynchpin of this system, pairings against random combo. No pairings against outlier, but still present decks that can give consistency a run for its money is vital to this composition. Elves, MUD, Dragon Stompy, Belcher are rogue combo decks that trounce this plan, along with not being able to accommodate the silver-bullet approach to sideboarding that is encouraged with this design concept that invariably offers too-little or no coverage against present matchups you are choosing to dodge, in your case "Omni."

2. The second approach involves minor, but relevant changes to this consistent approach. Including more tutors, accelerants, clutch removal, or counters main, while reducing your locus count and increasing the blue count are the characteristic traits. Trinket Mage, Oracle, Bonfire, Fow/Fluster/SwanSong all main in some fashion all lend themselves to needing unusual responses game 1 that can lead into a reinforced plan game two/three. You purposely are weakening your matchups that are drop-dead-easy in the DTB section, and preemptively reinforcing your strategies against difficult matchups. This strategy plans on playing against the problem matchups and not getting knocked out of the tournament, while still having strong game (but not as strong as possible game) against the DTB.

As I mentioned, I have played versions of the deck that ran both plans and they both work meta-depending. For an Invitational I could see the logic behind going with a consistent DTB-slaying machine and it served you well, going 7-1 and getting 12th. At the NJ invitational I brought the opposite approach of counterspells and beat-random and went 7-1 getting 11th. Both plans work, but one of the plans relies on pairings, while the other relies on deck knowledge, statistics and experience, which I prefer after playing the deck for so long.
    so you must me jerimiah r????

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

so you must me jerimiah r????
    He is.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Quote Originally Posted by maeltne View Post
    I'm curious why some of the 'go to' land searching cards don't seem to be played.

I.e. Sylvan Scrying, Sakura Tribe Elder, Solemn Simulacrum, Knight of the Reliquary.

Is Top + Brainstorm + saclands/shuffle effects already enough?
    I've used 1-2x Sylvan Scrying in monogreen in the past. It's not bad, but not as good as Crop Rotation (Instant, puts it into play, Stifle vs Wasteland), Expedition Map (colorless, can save to crack later), or Ancient Stirrings (also finds artifacts, All Is Dust, and Eldrazi).

Sakura and Solemn are no good because they only grab basics, so no Loci or utility lands. Knight is far too slow.
    Enjoy drinking and drafting? Try the booze cube
    Follow me on Twitter: @theboozecube

I also have 12 post built on magic online and occassionally will stream if anyone is interested i will put my steam up and give you guys a head up next time i do a daily.

Freedom is just as essential as air
    Jan 2013

I also have 12 post built on magic online and occassionally will stream if anyone is interested i will put my steam up and give you guys a head up next time i do a daily.
    I remember. Sorry I missed your last one. Depending on the next time you stream, I'll try to watch.

I also have 12 post built on magic online and occasionally will stream if anyone is interested i will put my steam up and give you guys a head up next time i do a daily.
    Neeley, my work hours make any sort of viewing schedule nearly impossible. Do you have the option of uploading your streams where one may watch them after the fact?

Apr 2008

Just won Ice Import's 5$ draft for the 8 most expensive Dual Lands tournament. 6 rounds with a cut to top 8 that started at 6:30 is brutal. Got home just now, at 4:30 with an Underground Sea. This is the list I ran, and it felt incredibly solid:

// Lands
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    2 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [U] Tropical Island
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    4 [MR] Cloudpost
    3 [ZEN] Island (8)
    1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
    1 [LG] Karakas
    2 [R] Volcanic Island

// Creatures
    4 [M12] Primeval Titan
    1 [PRE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    2 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    3 [US] Show and Tell
    3 [GP] Repeal
    2 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    3 [AVR] Bonfire of the Damned
    1 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    1 [SH] Mox Diamond

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [US] Show and Tell
    SB: 4 [AL] Force of Will
    SB: 1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    SB: 4 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 [THS] Swan Song
    SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 1 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant

The Mox Diamond is credit to my teammate with crazy ideas Jeff Carpenter and it completely won me 3 games at this event alone.

Bonfire was absolutely disgusting as always. I bonfired three people for 20+ dmg just at this event alone.

I'll write up a mini report later when I'm not dead on my feet.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013
    France

Quote Originally Posted by TimHarding View Post
    Yeah upping works! And yeah it was interesting to play it outside the control role. I found that with forces I was having much better game 1s without giving up ground to our naturally good matchups. Plus the occasional force through felt luxurious. I tried many swaps, even cutting crop rotations (adding basics to help that), and shaving down on candelabra, trinket and oracle/map. But man the leyline is pretty decent.. Since there are free slots

How'd it go for you?
    I am trying another approach by maindecking 2 Swan Song and adding the 4th Show and Tell for the 2 Trinket Mage and a Vesuva. I am considering lowering the Vesuva down to 2 in order to add a 3rd basic Island in order to help casting the blue counters from the SB...

My is SB made of:

4 Force Of Will
    4 Flusterstorm
    4 Leyline Of Sanctity
    2 Oblivion Stone
    1 The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale

I think that the 4 Leyline Of Sanctity are not always free slots as I don't always agressively mulligan for them. For instance against Burn or Belcher post-board, if I have a hand with no Leylines but a mishmash of counters, it is good until I can S&T a Leyline or cast it with Karakas + Candelabra (!!!).
    Unfortunately I don't have much time to test this configuration more until the BOM but I feel it's solid and well armed against a wide metagame... We'll see!

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Jul 2013
    CT

Just won Ice Import's 5$ draft for the 8 most expensive Dual Lands tournament. 6 rounds with a cut to top 8 that started at 6:30 is brutal. Got home just now, at 4:30 with an Underground Sea. This is the list I ran, and it felt incredibly solid:

// Lands
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
    2 [TSP] Vesuva
    4 [U] Tropical Island
    4 [SOM] Glimmerpost
    4 [MR] Cloudpost
    3 [ZEN] Island (8)
    1 [IA] Glacial Chasm
    1 [LG] Karakas
    2 [R] Volcanic Island

// Creatures
    4 [M12] Primeval Titan
    1 [PRE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    2 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    3 [US] Show and Tell
    3 [GP] Repeal
    2 [ZEN] Expedition Map
    3 [AVR] Bonfire of the Damned
    1 [AQ] Candelabra of Tawnos
    1 [SH] Mox Diamond

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [US] Show and Tell
    SB: 4 [AL] Force of Will
    SB: 1 [WWK] Bojuka Bog
    SB: 4 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 3 [THS] Swan Song
    SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    SB: 1 [FUT] Venser, Shaper Savant

The Mox Diamond is credit to my teammate with crazy ideas Jeff Carpenter and it completely won me 3 games at this event alone.

Bonfire was absolutely disgusting as always. I bonfired three people for 20+ dmg just at this event alone.

I'll write up a mini report later when I'm not dead on my feet.
    Jeez how did you get through 2x MUD.!?

And Jeff's idea was legittt

My deck sucked don't cut trinket Mages ever

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Zotmaster View Post
    Hi everyone. I've been following this thread for a few weeks now. I go in and out of playing Magic (started playing during Ice Age...which is an apt metaphor). I've been playing something with Cloudposts in it pretty much since the card came out. I saw that Rock Lee has been pretty much leading the charge with the deck so I've followed up since.

If there's interest, like I said, I'll throw in more info and input...otherwise, move along and I'll just go back to lurking :P
    As a thought experiment and analysis of what the realistic prices on the cheapest competitive version of this deck would be, I was oddly surprised to see how affordable you could make this deck while still remaining competitive.

This was the breakdown for the cheapest version I could make that still ran duals. You could run temple of mysteries over breeding pools, or some of the basics for more consistent results.
    Code:
    Main (75)
    4	 Cloudpost	 Land - Locus		 MRD (TM)	 7.00 €	 $ 7.16
    4	 Vesuva	 Land		 TSP (TM)	 39.80 €	 $ 39.88
    4	 Island	 Basic Land - Island		 THS (T2)	 0.60 €	 $ 0.16
    4	 Breeding Pool	 Land - Forest Island		 GTC (T2)	 39.80 €	 $ 49.64
    3	 Forest	 Basic Land - Forest		 THS (T2)	 0.45 €	 $ 0.12
    1	 Eye of Ugin	 Legendary Land		 WWK (T1.X)	 7.95 €	 $ 8.40
    4	 Glimmerpost	 Land - Locus		 SOM (T1.X)	 2.00 €	 $ 0.80
    4	 Primeval Titan	 Creature - Giant	 (6)	 M12 (T1.X)	 51.80 €	 $ 29.96
    2	 Trinket Mage	 Creature - Human Wizard	 (3)	 SOM (T1.X)	 0.50 €	 $ 0.56
    1	 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn	 Legendary Creature - Eldrazi	 (15)	 ROE (T1.X)	 32.95 €	 $ 33.28
    1	 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth	 Legendary Creature - Eldrazi	 (10)	 ROE (T1.X)	 20.95 €	 $ 37.20
    1	 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre	 Legendary Creature - Eldrazi	 (11)	 ROE (T1.X)	 19.95 €	 $ 28.93
    4	 Repeal	 Instant	 (1)	 GPT (TM)	 0.40 €	 $ 0.92
    4	 Expedition Map	 Artifact	 (1)	 ZEN (T1.X)	 5.00 €	 $ 4.68
    4	 Snap	 Instant	 (2)	 ULG (T1/1.5)	 5.00 €	 $ 2.68
    4	 Brainstorm	 Instant	 (1)	 MMQ (T1/1.5)	 13.80 €	 $ 7.44
    4	 Sensei's Divining Top	 Artifact	 (1)	 CHK (TM)	 59.80 €	 $ 76.68
    4	 Crop Rotation	 Instant	 (1)	 ULG (T1/1.5)	 2.60 €	 $ 2.12
    3	 Simic Keyrune	 Artifact	 (3)	 GTC (T2)	 0.75 €	 $ 0.66
    4	 Swan Song	 Instant	 (1)	 THS (T2)	 17.00 €	 $ 9.84
    4	 Mindbreak Trap	 Instant - Trap	 (4)	 ZEN (T1.X)	 23.80 €	 $ 23.16
    3	 Chalice of the Void	 Artifact	 (0)	 MRD (TM)	 23.85 €	 $ 17.79
    1	 Glacial Chasm	 Land		 ICE (T1/1.5)	 0.35 €	 $ 0.56
    3	 Elephant Grass	 Enchantment	 (1)	 VIS (T1/1.5)	 5.25 €	 $ 3.90
    75	Cards		2.52 avg.	 Leg./Vint.	 381.35 €	 $ 386.52
    As you can see, the majority of the low-budget money is in the vesuvas, eldrazis, and tops. But this version of the deck can be made on a 400$ budget, which is extremely low for a Legacy deck.

Then compare this a generic build of mine, running upto 2881$. If you fully foil out the deck you're looking at a jump to $ 10,000 and with beta trops you can up that to $15,000. This is one of the most expensive decks in Legacy, but it can be made as one of the cheapest.
    Code:
    Main (72)
    4	 Cloudpost	 Land - Locus		 MRD (TM)	 7.00 €	 $ 7.16
    2	 Vesuva	 Land		 TSP (TM)	 19.90 €	 $ 19.94
    2	 Island	 Basic Land - Island		 THS (T2)	 0.30 €	 $ 0.08
    2	 Polluted Delta	 Land		 ONS (T1/1.5)	 139.90 €	 $ 209.34
    4	 Tropical Island	 Land - Forest Island		 3ED 	 359.80 €	 $ 508.44
    3	 Misty Rainforest	 Land		 ZEN (T1.X)	 143.85 €	 $ 151.32
    1	 Eye of Ugin	 Legendary Land		 WWK (T1.X)	 7.95 €	 $ 8.40
    1	 Karakas	 Legendary Land		 LEG (T1/1.5)	 ?	 $ 99.57
    4	 Glimmerpost	 Land - Locus		 SOM (T1.X)	 2.00 €	 $ 0.80
    1	 Glacial Chasm	 Land		 ICE (T1/1.5)	 0.35 €	 $ 0.56
    4	 Primeval Titan	 Creature - Giant	 (6)	 M12 (T1.X)	 51.80 €	 $ 29.96
    1	 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn	 Legendary Creature - Eldrazi	 (15)	 ROE (T1.X)	 32.95 €	 $ 33.28
    1	 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth	 Legendary Creature - Eldrazi	 (10)	 ROE (T1.X)	 20.95 €	 $ 37.20
    1	 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre	 Legendary Creature - Eldrazi	 (11)	 ROE (T1.X)	 19.95 €	 $ 28.93
    4	 Repeal	 Instant	 (1)	 GPT (TM)	 0.40 €	 $ 0.92
    3	 Expedition Map	 Artifact	 (1)	 ZEN (T1.X)	 3.75 €	 $ 3.51
    2	 Candelabra of Tawnos	 Artifact	 (1)	 ATQ (T1/1.5)	 ?	 $ 625.56
    4	 Brainstorm	 Instant	 (1)	 MMQ (T1/1.5)	 13.80 €	 $ 7.44
    4	 Sensei's Divining Top	 Artifact	 (1)	 CHK (TM)	 59.80 €	 $ 76.68
    4	 Crop Rotation	 Instant	 (1)	 ULG (T1/1.5)	 2.60 €	 $ 2.12
    4	 Show and Tell	 Sorcery	 (3)	 USG (T1/1.5)	 239.80 €	 $ 253.32
    4	 Force of Will	 Instant	 (5)	 ALL (T1/1.5)	 255.80 €	 $ 285.96
    3	 Swan Song	 Instant	 (1)	 THS (T2)	 12.75 €	 $ 7.38
    1	 Bojuka Bog	 Land		 WWK (T1.X)	 0.25 €	 $ 0.36
    2	 Glen Elendra Archmage	 Creature - Faerie Wizard	 (4)	 EVE (TM)	 25.90 €	 $ 15.42
    3	 Elephant Grass	 Enchantment	 (1)	 VIS (T1/1.5)	 8.75 €	 $ 6.50
    1	 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale	 Legendary Land		 LEG (T1/1.5)	 ?	 $ 461.43
    72	Cards		2.80 avg.	 Leg./Vint.	 1430.30 €	 $ 2881.58

May 2013
    Paris, France

I guess Mox helped to play S&T a turn earlier right ?
    Interesting to see Bonfire again in this list. What reasons were behind, metagme choices I presume ?

Few insights will be more than welcomed !!!

Hat down if you succeeded to take 2 matchs to MUD in a row. Was it because of Mox or Bonfire, maybe both ?

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    I guess Mox helped to play S&T a turn earlier right ?
    Interesting to see Bonfire again in this list. What reasons were behind, metagme choices I presume ?

Few insights will be more than welcomed !!!

Hat down if you succeeded to take 2 matchs to MUD in a row. Was it because of Mox or Bonfire, maybe both ?

Mox Diamond and Bonfire were both clutch. Both matches went to three games, and force and venser were pivotal for keeping Chalice @ 1 off the table. I sideboard rather oddly against MUD (-4 Crop, -4 Trinket Mage) since their primary tool against us is Chalice, the rest can be brute force'd. In the Swiss I simply had Show & Tell -> Titan, Chasm for two wins, with force backer. Mox Diamond pitched Cloudpost twice so I could accelerate. Never saw a bonfire, but it would've been a game saver in the swiss. In the top 8 I got plastered game 1 to Chalice @ 1 and him bowling me with lodestone. Game 2 I forced his Chalice, developed while a lodestone whomped me, and bonfire'd him for 17 to kill him. Game 3 I could have Fow'd a chalice (notice a trend of him having chalice every game of 6 @_@) but decided I could win through it with what I had. Ended up having the option of Bonfireing him for 20+ or emrakul. I chose the fattie.

Mox Diamond was amazing all day, allowing me to one-up my opponents with repeal. Time walking multiple times against both Elves and Death and Taxes.

Regarding why I am returning to bonfire, is there was never a reason to take it out. I Top 4'd at least, the 3 major events I brought it to, and then decided to explore other variants. Bonfire wasn't weak at all, I just needed to know how other variations worked. Ultimately came back to it because it is damned powerful and hella fun.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Mox Diamond and Bonfire were both clutch. Both matches went to three games, and force and venser were pivotal for keeping Chalice @ 1 off the table. I sideboard rather oddly against MUD (-4 Crop, -4 Trinket Mage) since their primary tool against us is Chalice, the rest can be brute force'd. In the Swiss I simply had Show & Tell -> Titan, Chasm for two wins, with force backer. Mox Diamond pitched Cloudpost twice so I could accelerate. Never saw a bonfire, but it would've been a game saver in the swiss. In the top 8 I got plastered game 1 to Chalice @ 1 and him bowling me with lodestone. Game 2 I forced his Chalice, developed while a lodestone whomped me, and bonfire'd him for 17 to kill him. Game 3 I could have Fow'd a chalice (notice a trend of him having chalice every game of 6 @_@) but decided I could win through it with what I had. Ended up having the option of Bonfireing him for 20+ or emrakul. I chose the fattie.

Mox Diamond was amazing all day, allowing me to one-up my opponents with repeal. Time walking multiple times against both Elves and Death and Taxes.

Regarding why I am returning to bonfire, is there was never a reason to take it out. I Top 4'd at least, the 3 major events I brought it to, and then decided to explore other variants. Bonfire wasn't weak at all, I just needed to know how other variations worked. Ultimately came back to it because it is damned powerful and hella fun.
    Siding out 4 trinket mage when your list contains only 2 ? I think you meant -2 trinket -2 map ? So in 4 FOW, 1 Venser 1 S&T and the last two, bojuka & tabernacle?
    Or maybe you meant -4 crop -2 trinket +4 FOW +1 Venser + 1S&T ?

MUD is really a bad matchup for traditional turbo lists. Bonfire improves it (as O.Stone does too) a bit.

I have always liked "Bonfire" as it is IMHO a good card vs goodstuff.deck and could be game breaking in some "already lost situations" (not to named a particular Jund deck) ahahaha.

Last question, was the 1-of candelabra relevant during this event ?

Apr 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Siding out 4 trinket mage when your list contains only 2 ? I think you meant -2 trinket -2 map ? So in 4 FOW, 1 Venser 1 S&T and the last two, bojuka & tabernacle?
    Or maybe you meant -4 crop -2 trinket +4 FOW +1 Venser + 1S&T ?

MUD is really a bad matchup for traditional turbo lists. Bonfire improves it (as O.Stone does too) a bit.

I have always liked "Bonfire" as it is IMHO a good card vs goodstuff.deck and could be game breaking in some "already lost situations" (not to named a particular Jund deck) ahahaha.

Last question, was the 1-of candelabra relevant during this event ?
    Er, I meant -4 crop, -2 trinket. Keep in map, for sneaking it in early.

Candelabra x1 was huge. I straight won 3 games exclusively on trinket mage -> Candelabra. Never sided it out, whereas when I run 2 I often would side one out. Card was clutch just having it in hand vs Death and Taxes as well. Card is nuts.

The real me is no match for the legend.
    Oct 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio

As a thought experiment and analysis of what the realistic prices on the cheapest competitive version of this deck would be, I was oddly surprised to see how affordable you could make this deck while still remaining competitive.

This was the breakdown for the cheapest version I could make that still ran duals. You could run temple of mysteries over breeding pools, or some of the basics for more consistent results.

As you can see, the majority of the low-budget money is in the vesuvas, eldrazis, and tops. But this version of the deck can be made on a 400$ budget, which is extremely low for a Legacy deck.
    It is. Aside from something like generic Burn, Manaless Dredge, or maybe High Tide, the basic concept of the deck is quite affordable, especially since for a long period of time cards like Vesuvas and the Eldrazi could all be had for 10 dollars or less apiece (and I had everything except Show and Tell, so I really did luck out there). I may not have been totally clear in my post, but basically "all" that I'm missing are the Trops (so Breeding Pool), the Candelabras and the Tabernacle. Of course, in those 7-9 cards is four figures' worth of money. I'll probably get to those cards eventually, but right now I'm really feeling their absence; the Candelabra in particular for obvious reasons. I've always been kind of a rogue deckbuilder so I try to get creative in what I run: I'm not kidding when I say I've considered probably a few dozen different cards for a small number of slots in my 75. Since I don't have the opportunity to immediately playtest whatever I dream up, however, this obviously does not always yield the desired results, which is why I didn't really elaborate too much in my first post.

Speaking for my tourney, I was disappointed that I largely got curbstomped throughout, was considerably happier at the fact that I only legitimately punted once, and was quite pleased to find out that, for the first time since I started playing again (so a little over a month), I was not the only person playing the deck. Even better, this player had all the necessary cards (and was running a Trinket Mage package) and, perhaps not surprisingly, he posted better results, although neither of us placed.

Regardless, the deck is lots of fun, feels really rewarding as I get the hang of playing it correctly, and it is enjoyable to hear a lot of the regulars there say that it's one of the decks that they really don't want to end up facing.

Quote Originally Posted by moseby View Post
    Neeley, my work hours make any sort of viewing schedule nearly impossible. Do you have the option of uploading your streams where one may watch them after the fact?
    ya i think you can watch the old videos on twitch. i have not steamed but once or twice and was just learning how to use the program. i will try to find a day to just play a couple matches. my wife started 2nd shift and its hard for me to play with my 4 month old. but if i get some downtime ill try to get some videos up.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Jul 2013
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Zotmaster View Post
    It is. Aside from something like generic Burn, Manaless Dredge, or maybe High Tide, the basic concept of the deck is quite affordable, especially since for a long period of time cards like Vesuvas and the Eldrazi could all be had for 10 dollars or less apiece (and I had everything except Show and Tell, so I really did luck out there). I may not have been totally clear in my post, but basically "all" that I'm missing are the Trops (so Breeding Pool), the Candelabras and the Tabernacle. Of course, in those 7-9 cards is four figures' worth of money. I'll probably get to those cards eventually, but right now I'm really feeling their absence; the Candelabra in particular for obvious reasons. I've always been kind of a rogue deckbuilder so I try to get creative in what I run: I'm not kidding when I say I've considered probably a few dozen different cards for a small number of slots in my 75. Since I don't have the opportunity to immediately playtest whatever I dream up, however, this obviously does not always yield the desired results, which is why I didn't really elaborate too much in my first post.

Speaking for my tourney, I was disappointed that I largely got curbstomped throughout, was considerably happier at the fact that I only legitimately punted once, and was quite pleased to find out that, for the first time since I started playing again (so a little over a month), I was not the only person playing the deck. Even better, this player had all the necessary cards (and was running a Trinket Mage package) and, perhaps not surprisingly, he posted better results, although neither of us placed.

Regardless, the deck is lots of fun, feels really rewarding as I get the hang of playing it correctly, and it is enjoyable to hear a lot of the regulars there say that it's one of the decks that they really don't want to end up facing.
    Nice to see you jamming post- there's a mono colorless post player in my area and he does pretty well with it.

As for what you've said above - the only thing that really separates your list from the identity of this UG post thread is Show and Tell. The card affords this deck the ability to threaten extreme early explosion, while maintaining the inevitability. The acceleration can straight beat a healthy portio of legacy by itself, and keeps many other decks off balance. To me it's analogous to football where if your threats are 1D the defense will bias towards that. Without show and tell, their permission hits a lot harder. For me show as tell is largely there to keep forcing them to react, and only against aggro it then becomes the plan.

As for the other big tickets, tabernacle is barely in my 75 and often out, and candle - while usually optimal - doesn't change the identity of the archetype like SnT does. In fact I had neither in my 75 for the better part of the summer.

Good luck

Thread Information