Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Deathblade

Re: [Deck] Deathblade

Quote Originally Posted by Neo900 View Post
    Your lists are looking quite good.
    If you were talking to me thanks :)

I like the idea to cut Jace for him. I'm playing without Jace for a few months now.
    Ya i'd agree honestly. As painful as it is for me to say jace is probably too slow. I will probably keep 1 maindeck though, just enjoy casting him too much.

Also I am back to Painful Truths. Mostly it draws 3 cards and is a reload after removal, counter and putting threats into play.
    I might have to experiment with this card later if i ever find space. I used to run Esper Charm instead of painful. My rationale being that a 3 mana sorcery was probably a liability in most cases. Esper charm does draw you one less card but you can do it at instant speed. Its also a maindeck out against miracles as they usually pretty thin on 3 cmc cards. Making them discard 2 is also pretty sweet, i used that mode more often than i thought.

Sylvan Library is more like a card quality machine instead of drawing power because the draw is too expensive without more Batterskull hits. Of course it's stronger if you are able to use it multiple turns. But I replaced the Library for Truths and I like it so far.
    I WANT TO PLAY LIBRARY SO BADLY. But its just soo greedy, i'm trying to be esper deathblade splashing green for a stabler manabase, but if i start adding leovolds and libraries i'm pretty much locked into 4 color at that point.

How is Counterspell doing ? I don't have agood feeling about it. Double blue is no problem since we play Nemesis and Clique. But leaving up 2 mana makes the game slow. Just 1 for Spell Pierce is sometimes hard for me because the other Options are playing Nemesis, use Stoneforge or just doing something to develope our game.
    As a one off its fine. In the late game i love counterspell. Generally speaking in the late game spell pierce won't be good enough and force of will is almost always a 2-1. Counterspell fills the late game roll of being a counterspell they can't pay off and won't 2-1 me in the process. It can be clunky in the opening hand, but as a one off i don't see it that often or i can always brainstorm it away.

One way to feel better about not playing Sylvan Library is to imagine Leovold on the other side of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    One way to feel better about not playing Sylvan Library is to imagine Leovold on the other side of the table.
    U know that u can just ignore ur own library, right?

Hi!

I’ve heard that V Clique is fantastic against both Dark Depths and Lands, and actually and can’t see why. Is there an interaction I’m missing?

In my meta there’s a guy playing both versions and is constantly a game loss for me.

Thanks 

Quote Originally Posted by pipet76 View Post
    Hi!

I’ve heard that V Clique is fantastic against both Dark Depths and Lands, and actually and can’t see why. Is there an interaction I’m missing?

In my meta there’s a guy playing both versions and is constantly a game loss for me.

Thanks 
    V Clique is indeed amazing versus lands because after they replace draw with dredge, but still in their draw step, you can flash in Clique and get rid of Loam. Hopefully they only have one and they don't draw another, but you can shut down their loam engine for a few turns until they draw another or find a tutor. While you have time, it's wise to develop your board state with creatures and a Jace.
    Also, if you can, sandbag a counterspell for a tutor effect.

Finally, Vendilion Clique is one of the only cards that can block Marit Lage in the deck. And, if you run Karakas, you can brick wall Lands or Turbo Depths for a turn or two until they wasteland the Karakas or Abrupt decay/Punishing Fire the Clique.

I'm not sure that Clique is great against turbo depths besides the blocking of marit lage.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Re: [Deck]Esper Deathblade

Turbo dephts is more like a combo deck and lands a control deck. Besides that Lands runs more lands which makes it hard to hit something with Clique or Thoughtseize.
    I played about 12 games against lands and lost just 1. Bitterblossom reduces Marit Large's damage to 1. Surgical and Invasive Surgery are both great in the Lands match up. Surgical gets rid of Punishing Fire and Invasive Surgery counters and removes Loam.

Turbo dephts is more like a combo deck and lands a control deck. Besides that Lands runs more lands which makes it hard to hit something with Clique or Thoughtseize.
    I played about 12 games against lands and lost just 1. Bitterblossom reduces Marit Large's damage to 1. Surgical and Invasive Surgery are both great in the Lands match up. Surgical gets rid of Punishing Fire and Invasive Surgery counters and removes Loam.
    I'm actually playing Lingering over Bitter since there's a lot of Burn / UR Delver in my meta. However I must admit that I have tu try Invasive S over Spell Pierce, seems excelent.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Also Baleful Strix is such a powerful value card. So many times I'm thinking about to cut it but most of my top8s had 2 Baleful Strix.
    Lingering Souls makes also card advantage. Their discard becomes weaker, our Liliana of the Veil stronger.
    I have to find the way how to fit extra Lingering Souls in the Main Deck. I guess it will be Ponder. Right now I have 2 copies but I want to replace one for Strix. Ponder is okay but I have the feeling while casting it that my game slows down too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbGneiss View Post
    Finally, Vendilion Clique is one of the only cards that can block Marit Lage in the deck. And, if you run Karakas, you can brick wall Lands or Turbo Depths for a turn or two until they wasteland the Karakas or Abrupt decay/Punishing Fire the Clique.
    Maybe am I missing something, but wouldn't it be easier to just Karakas the Marit Large itself? Instead of blocking with Clique, Karakas, cast again etc.
    The journey of a new player riding The EPIC Storm
    www.theepicstorm.com

Apr 2016
    Germnay

That's truly the better play ^^
    But besides that Clique Karakas lock is one of my favorites and quite strong. It gives you perfect information, a fast clock and the disruptive element.

Quote Originally Posted by LDX View Post
    Maybe am I missing something, but wouldn't it be easier to just Karakas the Marit Large itself? Instead of blocking with Clique, Karakas, cast again etc.
    I don't know. Remember they have a very easy access to Wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by LDX View Post
    Something to consider when playing vs lands. If possible, you try to spread their resources thin.
    So, even if they are loaning every turn, if they don't have an exploration, they are going to be spending a lot of resources on you trying to Wasteland your duals, and Punishing Fire your creatures. If you sneak in the right creature at the right time, it really goes a long way.
    So:
    - Clique vs loam can win (assuming they only have one loam).
    - Deathrite is obvious.
    - Stoneforge Mystic that sticks around gets a sword of fire and ice to protect a creature from Punishing fire. Hopefully, you find one of the other equipment so you can equipment that as well for the life gain to protect yourself from dying to Lage.

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Re: [Deck] Esper Deathblade

AggroLoam is a hard match up. Lands is quite okay.
    I would say the reason is that AggroLoam's playstyle is not as focused as the one of Lands. It's more flexible and has more options with their Knight, Chalice and GSZ.
    Lands is straight forward with Dredge and Loam. I can predict turns against Lands better. Against Loam you have to focus on many things; Creatures, Graveyard, Planeswalker, Chalice.
    Besides that AggroLoam builds are more unspecific. Lands is more linear. My best friend played AggroLoam since forever and plays it whole different than everyone else. That wouldn't work that well with Lands.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

So I guess it's not fully Esper or Deathblade but here is what I have been running recently.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/back-to-blade/

Working on this deck for the significant other so I'm trying to keep in a bit simple but so far it has been working out pretty well. Would love any thoughts since as a combo player this whole archtype is new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    So I guess it's not fully Esper or Deathblade but here is what I have been running recently.

Working on this deck for the significant other so I'm trying to keep in a bit simple but so far it has been working out pretty well. Would love any thoughts since as a combo player this whole archtype is new to me.
    Interesting. This doesn’t look like any stoneblade deck I’ve encountered.

I’m trying to make recommendations on this, but most of my recommendations end up turning this into a deathblade deck XD.

Main deck I don’t think you’re leveraging black mana that well. Bitterblossom is great and all, but it doesn’t justify a third color in the main deck on its own. Really at least in my experience black gets run for thoughtseize and deathrite. Maindeck I’d like to see some number of thoughtseizes.

Probably my inner deathblade player coming through here, but you have NINE 3 drops. I’d really consider cutting something to make room for deathrites, so you can drop those suckers on T2. A turn 2 heretic cathar sounds like an absolute beating. T2 Back to basics also sounds great since you get to untap your lands and you have a mana dork to boot. T2 TNN is also just flat out good. Just seems like deathrite can really accelerate a huge chunk of your deck by an entire turn.

Generally speaking 3 snapcasters is probably excessive, a lot of lists are down to 1 I think maybe 2 at most.

Maybe consider running a wasteland or two?

I’ve found 4 drop wraths like cataclysm and supreme verdict to be too slow. You don’t have a way to ramp them out so they truly are T4 plays. Against death and taxes in particular, thalia can push those back to T5 which is just way to slow. Consider running toxic deluge, zealous persecution, engineered plague, etc instead. They’re cheaper and a lot of the time you only really need -1/-1 anyway.

Also why 3 cliques in the SB?

Apr 2016
    Germnay

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post

I will try to give you an analysis from my point of view.
    The generell idea of the deck is to be a midrange deck with disruptive and control elements. Your list plays no disruption at all besides that you have many cards with cmc 3 without accleration. The reasons why this deck wants Deathrite Shaman are his accleration, ramp, clock and life gain; so: all his abilities.

Lands:
    You run 21 lands including 3 nonbasics in your Colors. the average cmc are 2.33 which is okay. You play only 8 fetchlands which is more the minimum. I would consider to play 10. This allows you to get access to your colors more often and easier. It reduces the chance to get into a Brainstorm lock and makes ponder also better.

Creatures:
    4 True-Name Nemesis are way too many. I would split it into 2 TNN and 2 Vendilion Clique. The Flash ability makes it faster than TNN and Clique has a great disruptive ability.
    Thalia is also strong. But we have to move away from cmc3 and it's not so good that we need it. Since it's legendary it can be become another weakpoint for us.
    3 Snapcaster are also too much. He is great, no question. But it makes the deck slower and 2 are enough. I played only 1, right now 0 and I don't miss him.
    4 Stoneforge are okay with 3 equipment. The question is if you want to play Esperblade or Deathblade. In Deathblade I would cut a SFM and the sword for "better" cards. In Esperblade I would keep it.
    I would consider Gurmag Angler or Tombstalker. They're cheap, strong and big. A good finisher for this deck. I love to play Tombstalker because it flies and goes through Tarmogoyf.
    Baleful Strix is also great. Trades nearly everytime 2:1. Besides that it flies and can get fuel on Jitte or a 5/5 lifelink, flying, vigilance, deathtouch monster with Batterskull. Good for attacking, even better in blocking.
    In Deathblade you can run Leovold as well. He is a monster.

Other Spells:
    Your other spells are quite good. The only thing are the Back to Basics. You have to kill you own manabase by default to make this a good card. This 3 out and add 3 Thoughtseize. I don't love this card. I discard everytime into my Liliana but this card wins games.
    Other cards you should keep in mind:
    Abrupt Decay is the flexible Allrounder. If you don't want to be Deathblade and more like Esperblade or just without green you have access to Vindicate and Council's Judgment. Vindicate hits also Lands, Judgment hits True-Name Nemesis and Hexproof.
    Painful Truth is also quite good and helps you to reload after a powerful shot.
    Liliana of the Veil on turn 2 with Deathrite Shaman is powerful as hell.

Back again, took a week off and played BUG delver another week for a bit of variety. Now it’s back to my favorite list. Essentially the same list as last week, just added another surgical extraction in the SB. I’ll get leovold at some point and add it to this list.

For this week the theme of the tourney was fringe decks.
    The list:
    Lands-21

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Marsh Flats
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Wasteland
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp

Creatures-13

4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Snapcaster Mage

Spells: 23

4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Counterspell
    2 Bitterblossom
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Vindicate

Artifacts: 2

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte

Planeswalkers: 2

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard:

1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Invasive Surgery
    2 Surgical Extraction

Match 1: Stax (Loss 1-2)
    Game 1:
    Had no idea what I was playing against and stax basically went off. Got locked out and hung around for a few turns after my opponent gained infinite life via staff of domination to see what the wincon was. Also got locked out by ghost quarter+crucible of worlds combo. First time I’ve been thoroughly punished for playing basics. Turns out the wincon was me sacrificing all my permanents and then getting beat down by 4 metalworker.

Game 2:
    I don’t remember what my SB plan was.

Managed to stick a stoneforge with a batterskull very early. Beat down plan was in full effect. Got mana flooded which was actually great this game since his mana denial strategy just didn’t work. Killed him in relatively short order before he got set up.
    If anyone has the misfortune of playing this deck, it has no point removal. Stoneforge+batterskull is great in this case since it generates 3 permanents which make stax/tanglewire awkward for them. Honestly keeping hand with 6 lands and a stoneforge might not be bad here.

Game 3:
    Put pithing needle on ghost quarter to avoid totally getting hosed out of basics. Didn’t end up mattering, got locked out of the game and I lost. A painful start to the night for sure. Stax is rough to play against.

Match 2: Burn (Win 2-0)
    Game 1:
    He mulliganed to 6 and I kept a fairly reasonable hand. Played 2 stoneforge mystics which he bolted taking a lot of pressure off my life total. Was also able to fetch mostly basics making his price of progress bad. Eventually stuck a jitte onto something and put the game out of reach.

Game 2:
    Sideboard:
    -3 thoughtseize
    -1 vindicate
    -2 bitterblossom
    +1 invasive surgery
    +2 flusterstorm
    +1 Ethersworn Canonist
    +2 meddling mage

Much the same as game one. He mulliganed down to 6, and I had enough counters to hang in there. Got all my basics again. Went down to 2 life, stuck a true name, glued jitte to it and sealed the game up from there.

Match 3: Opposition (Win 2-1)
    Game 1:
    Not much of a game. He mulliganed down to 4, on the play with no land he passes the turn. I drop a swamp/deathrite. Pass it back, he gets a fetch gets a trop and plays a deathrite. I wasteland his trop and dump a stoneforge into play. He concedes at this point

Game 2:
    Because he conceded so early I had no idea how to sideboard. I knew he was playing a deck called opposition but I didn’t know how it actually worked. So SB was awkward. Mostly went for meddling mages with the plan to name opposition.
    Sideboard:
    -1 vindicate
    -2 bitterblossom
    +1 surgical extraction
    +2 meddling mage

I punted this game harder than the Atlanta falcons. I found out opposition basically plays a bunch of value X/1 idiots like coiling oracle, elvish visionary, baleful strix, wirewood symbiote, and noble hierarch. They then leverage these guys into opposition’s ability so I can’t attack or block. I instantly regretted not siding in my creature hate cards. Thoughtseize revealed his hand was stacked to the gills with artifact hate, pithing needle, abrupt decay, and reclamation sage. Managed to get through the hate and land a stoneforge mystic with both batterskull and jitte in hand. While I was dealing with his artifact hate I was getting beaten down to about 3 life.
    So what was the punt? Failing to blink in batterskull at end step. I could have gotten in an attack with both jitte and skull and won. But like an idiot I didn’t. I realized my mistake as soon as I drew my card for turn. He eventually found opposition, tapped down my dudes and I died. I really think I could’ve salvaged a win out of that if I hadn’t played so sloppy. I REALLY NEED TO SLOW DOWN WHEN I PLAY.

Game 3:
    With a better understanding of the opposition deck I made the following adjustments. Had to apologize to the other player as I definitely labored too long on a few SB choices.
    Sideboard:

-1 vindicate
    -2 bitterblossom
    -4 deathrite shaman
    +1 Toxic Deluge
    +1 Zealous Persecution
    +1 Engineered Plague
    +1 Pithing Needle
    +2 Meddling Mage
    +1 Surgical Extraction

Had to get a judge call, but pithing needle does shut off opposition.

Almost punted this one. Kept a 3 land hand with true name and jitte which seemed pretty good against him. Lead off thoughtseize revealed no countermagic and I took abrupt decay, his only method of dealing with jitte. Stuck a true name, passed the turn and he cast pithing needle.
    At this point I think I punted but got away with it. I had force of will and brainstorm in hand with no open mana. Forcing the needle would’ve made me pitch brainstorm which felt awful. So I let it resolve hoping he would name stoneforge instead. He named jitte and I realized I misplayed horribly.
    He passes the turn, I brainstorm revealing a land and another true name. I play a second true name and essentially start a damage race. True name essentially meant opposition was worthless, his only out was to green sun zenith a craterhoof behemoth. He didn’t and I won the damage race.

Generally tonight I made a lot of mistakes. Stax I’m not sure what I could have done differently. But opposition I punted twice. Once it cost me the game but the second time I was able to recover after brainstorm bailed me out. I really need to slow down my play so I don’t screw up stoneforge activations. It’s not the first time I’ve totally blown through and end of turn batterskull. Still finished in the money though!
    Last edited by First_Revenge; 02-07-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Hi everybody,

I’ve been testing this particular list for a while and it has proven to be quite effective. However I think it can be
    improved. So, if you have any advice at all it would be great.

For the moment I’m thinking about:
    - Replacing Jace (or either put him in the SB) for Leovold or something else
    - Replacing the lonely S Pierce for either a Spell Snare or a Counterspell
    - Playing maybe a couple of Tarmogoyfs
    - Is there a place for Fatal Push in our deck?

Thanks a lot for your feedback

Lands 22
    2 U Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Trop Island
    1 Bayou
    1 C Tar Pit
    4 P Delta
    4 F Strand
    1 M Flats
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Wasteland

Creatures 13

2 B Strix
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    3 SF Mystic
    3 True Name Nemesis
    4 Deathrite Shaman

Spells 21

4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    3 FOW
    4 Swords To Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 S Pierce
    2 Lingering
    3 Thoughseize

Planeswalker 2

1 Jace Mindsculptor
    1 Liliana of the Veil

Artifacts 2

Jitte
    Batterskull

SIDEBOARD

3 MMage
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 FOW
    2 S Extraction
    1 N Spellbomb
    1 Vendillion Clique
    1 Z Persecution
    1 Supreme Veredict
    1 Abrupt Decay (or a Fatal Push)
    1 Pithing Needle

Quote Originally Posted by pipet76 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I’ve been testing this particular list for a while and it has proven to be quite effective. However I think it can be
    improved. So, if you have any advice at all it would be great.

For the moment I’m thinking about:
    - Replacing Jace (or either put him in the SB) for Leovold or something else
    - Replacing the lonely S Pierce for either a Spell Snare or a Counterspell
    - Playing maybe a couple of Tarmogoyfs
    - Is there a place for Fatal Push in our deck?

Thanks a lot for your feedback

Lands 22
    2 U Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Trop Island
    1 Bayou
    1 C Tar Pit
    4 P Delta
    4 F Strand
    1 M Flats
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    2 Wasteland

Creatures 13

2 B Strix
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    3 SF Mystic
    3 True Name Nemesis
    4 Deathrite Shaman

Spells 21

4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    3 FOW
    4 Swords To Plowshares
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 S Pierce
    2 Lingering
    3 Thoughseize

Planeswalker 2

1 Jace Mindsculptor
    1 Liliana of the Veil

Artifacts 2

Jitte
    Batterskull

SIDEBOARD

3 MMage
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Invasive Surgery
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 FOW
    2 S Extraction
    1 N Spellbomb
    1 Vendillion Clique
    1 Z Persecution
    1 Supreme Veredict
    1 Abrupt Decay (or a Fatal Push)
    1 Pithing Needle
    Hey pretty cool list you got here. I like the 4 color manabase with 3 basics. Its still greedier than i'd like, but you won't roll over and die to blood moon/wastelands either.

About the only obvious thing, i don't think you need 22 lands, a lot of lists get by with 21, and i don't really like creeping tar pit that much honestly. I think you cut the creeping tarpit and slot a leovold in there.

Spell pierce should probably stay as it is. Counterspell can be kinda clunky and you're lower on countermagic than i personally care to be, so i'd keep the spell pierce.

I like the idea of playing goyfs, but i think you'd have to cut either baleful strix of lingering souls for it. Might be good as a 2 off. You might want to consider gurmag angler/tombstalker in this slot as well. Tombstalker in particular is a 5/5 flier that a lot of times goes unblocked.

Fatal push is great, the problem is i don't think its better than abrupt decay/swords. Maindeck you already have 6 STPs/ADs so you don't want them there. I also like abrupt decay more in the sideboard as well as it answers a wider suite of threats(i.e. counterbalance.) About the only case i can see for fatal push is in a more conservative manabase that doesn't want to get too far into green. Since you're pretty much 4 colors at this point you might as well just play abrupt decay.

I don't like supreme verdict. Its 4 mana and even though its uncounterable it can be difficult to cast. Wastelands or thalia can make this cost 5. I've had this card languish in my hand a lot. I prefer toxic deluge since its cheaper and its mana cost is easier to pay.

3 MM seems excessive. I'd really prefer another flusterstorm, your call though.

Quote Originally Posted by First_Revenge View Post
    Hey pretty cool list you got here. I like the 4 color manabase with 3 basics. Its still greedier than i'd like, but you won't roll over and die to blood moon/wastelands either.

About the only obvious thing, i don't think you need 22 lands, a lot of lists get by with 21, and i don't really like creeping tar pit that much honestly. I think you cut the creeping tarpit and slot a leovold in there.

Spell pierce should probably stay as it is. Counterspell can be kinda clunky and you're lower on countermagic than i personally care to be, so i'd keep the spell pierce.

I like the idea of playing goyfs, but i think you'd have to cut either baleful strix of lingering souls for it. Might be good as a 2 off. You might want to consider gurmag angler/tombstalker in this slot as well. Tombstalker in particular is a 5/5 flier that a lot of times goes unblocked.

Fatal push is great, the problem is i don't think its better than abrupt decay/swords. Maindeck you already have 6 STPs/ADs so you don't want them there. I also like abrupt decay more in the sideboard as well as it answers a wider suite of threats(i.e. counterbalance.) About the only case i can see for fatal push is in a more conservative manabase that doesn't want to get too far into green. Since you're pretty much 4 colors at this point you might as well just play abrupt decay.

I don't like supreme verdict. Its 4 mana and even though its uncounterable it can be difficult to cast. Wastelands or thalia can make this cost 5. I've had this card languish in my hand a lot. I prefer toxic deluge since its cheaper and its mana cost is easier to pay.

3 MM seems excessive. I'd really prefer another flusterstorm, your call though.
    Thanks a lot for your reply!

You’re probably right regarding the 3 TNN. I could fit a Clique over there.

The thing about Jace is that I think that he’s only good against control (Miracles and Shardless) in all the other matches he just sits there.

On the other hand if I do enter some goyfs (lets say 2) I’ll probably need another Tropical that could replace the tar pit.

I was also reluctant to S Veredict as well, but it has won me a lot of games lately in moments when my life total was kind of important: U/R Delver, Shardless, Grixis. I used to use Explosives (way to slow and we have already decay) and E Plague (which was not that effective).

I’d also prefer another fluster, but I only have one

Thread Information