Page 6 of 282 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Solitaire (Enchantress)

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

Re: [Deck] Enchantress (Solitaire)

Happy Gilmore's experiences from That One Time are hardly enough to draw any conclusions from. He was sick that day, and he had never played the deck before.

I also know, from reading Zu's report, that Happy sideboarded Chalice in against Zoo. This is awful. He ended up getting manascrewed because he had multiple acceleration enchantments in hand after he played Chalice at one.

The deck has 16 lands, three Chrome Moxen, and two Elvish Spirit Guides. It also has seven one-mana enchantments that produce mana. The curve tops at three and the deck draws billions of cards past its third turn. There is no need for more lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I think the complaint was more that you're losing a lot of efficiency from Exploration by running so few lands. Which I think is valid.

I've been tempted to drop to 3 in my build, in yours I don't see any reason not to.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Treshplayer
    Dec 2003
    VA

Words of Wind is easier to use with multiple Explorations. Even so, cutting one for the third ESG or fourth Wild Growth might be correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. nitewolf "Professor" 9, Ph.D. View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.

I hate to bump in a crappy fasion such as this, but has anyone been playing lately? Any svg tek about stoping Tendrils combo? I kind of think we have enough answers to multiple ETW tokens, but the whole possibility of running into TES (or even solidarity) and scooping is crappy. I reckon that with me now being able to pick up S-Chinese root mazes will aid in my ability to take out belcher (read: give us a chance).

Anyone else out there trying?
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

I've been running GWu version of Deck with living wish. what I felt was that Living wish gives fexiblity that helps you in the matchup, such as tendrils combo. Blue gives you Mage SB, which is too slow at times, but it helps. Another card that I was thinking in SB was Children of Korolis, but have not tested that yet.

Also, If you do not play living wish(Read: you have more SB spot) Chant might be an option.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Has anyone tested Chill?

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    Has anyone tested Chill?
    Wow. That's interesting. I feel we need ESG/Mox to fully utilize it, though.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

This is the list I played at the NoVa Fudd's Tournament;

Threats:
    4x Argothian Enchantress
    4x Enchantress's Presence
    2x Sylvan Library
    2x Replenish
    1x Holistic Wisdom
    1x Sacred Mesa

Acceleration:
    4x Exploration
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    1x Wild Growth
    2x Elvish Spirit Guide

D-FENCE!
    4x Elephant Grass
    1x Moat
    1x Ghostly Prison
    1x Aura of Silence
    1x Seal of Primordium
    3x Solitary Confinement
    3x Sterling Grove

The Kill:
    1x Words of War

Mana-base:
    1x Taiga
    1x Tropical Island
    3x Savannah
    4x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills
    7x Forest
    1x Plains
    2x Serra's Sanctum

Sideboard:
    2x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Chill
    2x Suppression Field
    2x Choke
    1x Ground Seal
    1x Spiritual Focus
    1x Seal of Fire
    1x Sacred Ground
    1x Karmic Justice
    1x Aura of Silence
    1x Words of Wilding

Round 1; John R.Polishname(Mr.Nipples) w/ 5/3

Game 1: He goes first turn Trinisphere on the draw. I play a Sterling Grove turn 3 and tutor up an Elephant Grass that holds off his Raiders and his Negator long enough for me to solidify my board.
    Game 2; He opens with CotV @ 1, followed by Trinisphere. I end up resolving a Moat and winning from there.

1-0

Round 2; Nick (I think he's probably on the Source, but I'm not sure) w/ CRET Belcher.

Game 1 He wins via token beat down fairly quickly, and I don't draw an Elephant Grass.
    Game 2 He goes token beat down and I draw an Elephant Grass, followed by a Chill to hold off any Belcher shennanigans.
    Game 3 See game 1.

1-1

Round 3; Noele(Local guy, I don't know if he has a Source s/n) w/ IGGy Pop

Game 1 We both have fairly weak hands, and I get an Aura of Silence out pretty quickly, followed by a Sterling Grove. Within a couple turns I have Confinement lock.
    Game 2 I get out Spiritual Focus, but he has double Tendrils and no IGG.
    Game 3 He taps two of three lands main phase of his third turn to Infernal Tutor, I break my Grove for Choke, play it, then next turn drop Aura of Silence.

2-1

Round 4; Dominic(Happy Gilmore) w/ U/G/r/b Thresh

Game 1 I get out Enchantresses but draw too many non-enchantments and not enough business to deal with Goyfs.
    Game 2 We fight around Top-Counterbalance and Choke, respectively, for a while, and evenetually I resolve a Replenish.
    Game 3 He keeps a land light, cantrippy hand, and I resolve an early Choke.

3-1

Round 5 Zohar (powergamer) w/ U/b/w Landstill

Game 1 I have to mull to 5 and keep a hand with Mesa as the only business. I start cranking out tokens, but I'm light on actual lands, and when he wastes my second white source, I choose to let the Mesa die. I think this was a mistake, and to confirm my suspicions, I draw a white source for my turn. He drops a Standstill the turn before I finally draw an Enchantress, and evenetually he casts Echoes and I scoop.
    Game 2 I go Presence, it gets Forced, he drops Meddling Mage naming Presence, and I draw Presence for my turn. I break a Grove for Choke, but he ends up Vindicating it and I don't draw enough threat. I think I mulled once this game.

Round 6 Dave Price(quicksilver) w/ G/R/B Survival

Game 1 He goes Duress my Presence, followed by Therapy, followed by Goyf, followed by Witness->Therapy. I get an Argothian, and he Wishes for Chainer's Edict. I get a Presence and he get Stomper. Playing Survival without Survivals and fewer creatures than Sorceries must be nice. ***.
    Game 2 See game 1. ***.

Findings;

The E Tutor SB plan worked really well. I think I'd up it to 3 E Tutors, and drop 1 Suppression Field, plus Ground Seal.

Ghostly Prison is balls. Sylvan Library isn't very good. And I didn't care much for Holistic Wisdom.

The card I really found myself wanting was Ground Seal. I think this feeling would be triple if I had actually been paired against Breakfast. Even without that match-up, I felt it was what the deck was really missing. Too often I would be stuck on one Enchantress, and I'd be unable to draw enough to get to more business. I'd draw an Exploration, play it, draw a land. If I had had Ground Seal I don't think it would have been as hard to accelerate into more relevant spells.

The point being, with only one Enchantress, you're playing Fluctuator. And Fluctuator fucking sucks. Ground Seal puts you ahead of the game on your Enchantress count, plus randomly nukes decks like Breakfast.

So I think I would take the list and make the following changes;

-1 Forest
    -1 Holistic Wisdom
    -1 Wild Growth
    -1 Ghostly Prison
    -1 Sylvan Library
    +4 Ground Seal
    +1 Elvish Spirit Guide

SB

-1 Ground Seal
    -1 Suppression Field
    -1 Sacred Ground
    +1 Enlightened Tutor
    +1 Titania's Song(we really need a better answer to Explosives than Suppresion Field)
    +1 Lifeforce(answers Deed, Echoes, etc.)

On a seperate issue, I had the following thought;

If you cast Replenish with 3x Measure of Wickedness in the graveyard, once the Replenish resolved, they would automatically switch over to the opponent's control. With a Solitary Confinement in play(or a Leyline of the Void), they would be unable to transfer ownership back to you. I don't know if it actually belongs in an Enchantress variant, or in more of a Blackjack style deck as a more compact kill condition, but I think it's probably worth exploring.

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

I don't like ESG in this deck. Too often, I was drawing them late in the game where they were useless; Utopia Sprawl/Wild Growth at least draw you cards.

Ghostly Prison is balls. Sylvan Library isn't very good. And I didn't care much for Holistic Wisdom.
    I agree with this. Prison is the worst of the anti-critter enchantments, and Hollistic Wisdom just sucks compared to Replenish (I run 3 couting SB). Have you tried Mirri's Guile? I've found it to be better than Library here, considering it can be played turn 1 and works under Confinement.

I think I've found some maybe laughable, maybe brilliant tech against Belcher: Rune of Protection: Artifacts. It's incredibly narrow, but it can cut Belcher off from one of its win conditions. Plus, it stops Factory beats
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

At 3 mana to play and activate, what advantages does it have over Aura of Silence?

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

I'd run it alongside Aura. I wouldn't play it normally, but if you see tons of Belcher, it might be okay-at least it cycles, so its never completely dead.
    Team ICBE

Why hasn't anyone posted anything? I'm way too lazy to re-write the opening post to reflect how cool the newest splash is, and if interest is so low that I can top 8 again without any hype, is it even worth it?

Come on, folks. Make some noise.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Enchantress is a really cool deck (well, cool for the one who play with, not the one who play against).
    It is one of the deck that a call "combo-control" (even if sometime you will say "OMG YOU RE SOOOOO WRONG).
    It has good tutors, and is good at what it does.
    It destroy aggro and aggro-control.
    About Splash, i've been testing the blue one for "In The Eyes of Chaos" personnally, and i've like it.
    There's also the black splash for some more disrupt and In The Abyss.
    It is a deck that can be well tuned to your metagame, and all i have to say is that, here in france, some people have clame that "Enchantress, once well tuned for a certain metagame, just wrap it".
    I agree with this statement.
    But there is an inerante weakness in enchantress gameplan, and that is against combo.TES, CRET Blecher and IGG tend to be more and more played in addition to threshold, and all i have to say is that winning turn 1 / 2 / 3 is annoying for us, cause we can't drop any sort of hate against tendrils/belcher before our own turn 3 or more.
    I think that this thread should be close, and we open a new one, with brand new list, advice and matchup. It could make people think "hey, why not play this deck and win some tournament?".
    For this, as i have already told you lonely, i'll be glad to help (even if being french doesn't help for playtest and grammar etc..).
    Sadly, i haven't been able to roll over people with enchantress in any tournament here in paris, cause well, works and study first.

Holo.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    Why hasn't anyone posted anything? I'm way too lazy to re-write the opening post to reflect how cool the newest splash is, and if interest is so low that I can top 8 again without any hype, is it even worth it?

Come on, folks. Make some noise.
    Good job, I have no interest in this deck/thread whatsoever... but you sounded like you were in dire need of a pat on the back.

So I don't get in trouble, why would you play enchantress over any other control deck in the format?

Is it the fact that it can muck up the board with annoying enchantments that double as a wincon?

Edti: But stax does that, and I think better.

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

So I don't get in trouble, why would you play enchantress over any other control deck in the format?

Is it the fact that it can muck up the board with annoying enchantments that double as a wincon?

Edti: But stax does that, and I think better.
    It's a control deck with a fairly fast combo win. Stax does not do it better-Stax sits there for infy turns hoping its opponent concedes, while Enchantress actually wins.
    Team ICBE

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Enchantress's draws are also 400 times more consistent than Stax's. And while Stax seeks to get a lock on absolutely everything, Enchantress just wants to stall for a few turns until it can teabag you.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

How much will this card have an impact on the deck?

Oblivion Ring

Enchantment (Common)
    When Oblivion Ring comes into play, remove target non-land permanent from the game.
    When Oblivion Ring leaves play, return the removed permanent to play under its owners control.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    How much will this card have an impact on the deck?
    Well, it is a Mega-Swords that draws you ~2-3 cards for 3 mana. Other than that, though, it probably won't do much.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, it is a Mega-Swords that draws you ~2-3 cards for 3 mana. Other than that, though, it probably won't do much.
    Remember in the hypothetical green thread, when Spatula was reacting to a 1GG enchantment with fading 2 that said "You cannot lose the game"? He said, "Dear wizards, please print this card, love enchantress?"

Dear wizards,

If this card is real, I will sacrifice my firstborn to you.

Love,

Enchantress.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

It kind of takes away some reason for the black splash. The ability to deal with fatties/utility creatures/troubling artifacts/enchantments is nice.

What kind of interaction could there be by targeting your own permanents? Ground Seal?

Edit: You could Ring away a Presence in anticipation of a sweeper perhaps?
    Last edited by SpatulaOfTheAges; 09-13-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Thread Information