Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braids Stax

Re: Braids Stax

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Coercive Portal
    Is an upgrade to Bottled Cloister unless you expect discard effects to make a come back in the format.
    I believe Cloister was largely there to fuel Ensnaring Bridge.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckusmh View Post
    I believe Cloister was largely there to fuel Ensnaring Bridge.
    Oh that makes sense. I'm an idiot.

Wondering: Besides Toxic Deluge, how do you deal with Young Pyromancer / Monastery Mentor fueled decks?

Also, how about instead of lotus petal, Chains of Mephistopheles? :p

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Coercive Portal
    Is an upgrade to Bottled Cloister unless you expect discard effects to make a come back in the format.
    As said by other people Bottled Cloister is there because of the nice sinergy with Ensnaring Bridge (most decks don't have a good way to deal with Bridge G1), and also I found out that most of the time, if they try to break the cloister, the already established locks eventually eat their boards.

@Mystical_Jackass
    Wow, never thought about Bane of the Living. I know it can act as an amazing boardsweeper but it also takes two turns to activate and after some games it could become like telegraphed (also could kill your Ophiomancer and Braids). Still I'm gonna give it a try

@Daize I'm gonna be honest but I haven't played against many Monastery Mentor decks. But I've played against young pyromancer decks and a Trinisphere cripples them badly, because both token makers become much more unnefective. Also UWR decks that should take the Monastery Mentor way usually are very weak to Wasteland+Crucible. After playing some games against death and taxes I realized that the match isn't as good as I thought (I mean, you still have the advantage, but not the colossal advantage I thought) so I was thinking about putting some copies of Dread Of Night in my sideboard, which also functions against Monastery Mentor tokens. I guess we still need to see if Monastery Mentor ends up shaping the meta as much as Pyromancer did. You have more options, like jamming a Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale or more Toxic Deluges. I'm also thinking that @Michael Keller's Plague Spitter idea is quite good, since it's a constant token sweeper, although I'm not so sure how the lifeloss from tombs + plague spitter would fare. But yeah, Plague Spitter definitely spits over all the token strategies, and if Sacked to Braids or Smokestack it also works as a pseudo Pyroclasm.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

I'm also thinking that against decks that you aren't expecting a ton of graveyard hate (only crucible relies on the graveyard) , you can easily have a SB Radiant Fountain that with Stax effects + Crucible will net you some life gain, making Plague Spitter that more devastating, as it also creates a new "Broken Asymetry" your opponent has to find a solution to.

Plague Spitter sounds pretty amazing, since against these decks you can attack with it aggressively if you need to, do they block it it's a pyroclasm as well. Maybe considering Trinispheres, instead of Dread of Night in the SB?

Also yes, Radiant Fountain instead of the Gods' thing

Nov 2013
    Burnaby

Deck looks fun to play. Where is the sideboard? Perhaps I missed it, but I just ported over your latest decklist and I didn't see it there

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by Daize View Post
    Plague Spitter sounds pretty amazing, since against these decks you can attack with it aggressively if you need to, do they block it it's a pyroclasm as well. Maybe considering Trinispheres, instead of Dread of Night in the SB?

Also yes, Radiant Fountain instead of the Gods' thing
    I wouldnt touch the trinis. In fact I do believe that an early trini is the best disruption since it shuts down countermagic and you can jam your pieces quote comfortably. 4 maindeck is a must

I wouldnt cut the gods eye from the MB, since its a nice way to get a 2 for one from stack effects if you arent able to get a continuous feeding yet. You can also wasteland your own gods eye if you have a crucible, which gets you a slow but continuously growing army of tokens that can make counterbalance look silly and plays really smoothly through all of your lockpieces, and is an uncounterable way to get pressure going. Plague spitter may be more of a sideboard choice, since it functuions strictly against death taxes and token based strategies, but wont kill shaman, nor taylor swiftspear, and against decks like reanimator or cloudpost it may not be the brightest star. Still I believe the card is amazing and will be staple card in our sideboards and maybe in the main if you can guess your meta. Radiant Fountain is also a nice card in the sideboard and i would bring it along the plague spitters against uwr and ur delver.

@technicolor mage my first run with that list, i didn't know exactly what i was going to face, so the idea are 4 pithing needles (shuts vial, shaman, sneak attack, top, misty, jitte, kuldotha), 4 leyline of the void (this was before treasure cruise getting banned, also shrinks goyf, mongeeseand shaman, as well as reanimator and loam), 3 mindbreak trap (belcher, maybe storm if you put chalice at 1, spanish inquisition) and 4 helm of obedience to combo with leyline.

A more realistic sideboard could be:

3 plague spitter
    2 radiant fountain
    2 ensnaring bridge (2 maindeck, two in the side)
    3 pithing needle
    4 leyline of the void
    1 helm of obedience

I'm on the beach right now so i wont be able to test plaguespitter and MD Cavern of souls till next week. But i'm really looking forward to see plaguespitter devouering X/1 creatures

`Nah I was just saying they work well with Trinis, since they already cost 3.

Honestly, I find myself with an empty hand pretty soon, and Bottled Cloister is pretty expensive... I'd drop them, keep the Bridges maybe.

They don't really have synergy with Braids, nor Ophiomancer though :(.

Well, sideboard ideas?
    Engineered Plague
    Dismember (can be explosively cheap, but avoids CotV)
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Last edited by Daize; 01-26-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

`Nah I was just saying they work well with Trinis, since they already cost 3.

Honestly, I find myself with an empty hand pretty soon, and Bottled Cloister is pretty expensive... I'd drop them, keep the Bridges maybe.

They don't really have synergy with Braids, nor Ophiomancer though :(.

Well, sideboard ideas?
    Engineered Plague
    Dismember (can be explosively cheap, but avoids CotV)
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Cloister has worked wonders for me, specially because it takes care of one of the most tipycal problems prison decks have, which is to run out of gas. It gives you card advantage while also hiding that toxic deluge or plague sputter you've been hiding.

I prefer needle over revoker, because its easier to cast t1. But revoker gives you a swinging body in itself, so both have their merits.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

For anyone still interested, I switched 4 swamps with 4 Cavern of Souls, since both Ophiomancer and Braids are human, and the colateral damage of having only 7 black mana source (without counting moxes and petals) doesn't hurt a lot since you only need them to cast Nether Void and Toxic Deluge.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by TraxDaMax View Post
    Thanks! I already saw that japanese list. Nice to know someone else also liked the idea of the deck :)
    I'm not sure about bitterblossom still. I could see how they work to stop big creatures early in the game, but I don't like how they work with Toxic Deluge + Ancient Tombs.

Still I like that list a lot.

Jitte seems to be the glue of that deck. It serves as a lockpiece/clock. And it makes some matchups almost impossible to lose.
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

58 cards, what would the last two be?

What about Contamination as another lock? There are already a bunch of token generators, it costs 3.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I've been playing Angel Prison for a bit, but I came across this thread and the list posted in the link above looks awesome. Has anyone actually tested that list? Contamination seems like a nice black Blood Moon with Bitterblossom in play.

58 cards, what would the last two be?
    I didn't notice that one. Hmm, maybe it's 3 lili's? 1 of lili seems kind of weird.
    Possibly it is just Smokestack which would let the deck live up to it's name :)

Edit: nm 2 lili in the board, so I'm going with Smokestack.

Re-edit: on second thought, it may be a black card, because there don't seem to be a whole lot to support Chrome Mox.
    Could be anything really. Enginereed Plague, Sinkhole, Smallpox, Damnation, Contamination...

Quote Originally Posted by TraxDaMax View Post
    I didn't notice that one. Hmm, maybe it's 3 lili's? 1 of lili seems kind of weird.
    Possibly it is just Smokestack which would let the deck live up to it's name :)

Edit: nm 2 lili in the board, so I'm going with Smokestack.

Re-edit: on second thought, it may be a black card, because there don't seem to be a whole lot to support Chrome Mox.
    Could be anything really. Enginereed Plague, Sinkhole, Smallpox, Damnation, Contamination...
    A quick google of the guys name + braids and I found it. http://mtglive.net/deckdb/viewer.php...2&ckattempt=1#

Ob nixilis lol!

Wow haha that isn't what I'd expect. It is a clock though.

Thread Information