Thread: Possibility of Adventure

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Possibility of Adventure

One of the Pioneer brews that caught my eye was the following https://www.reddit.com/r/PioneerMTG/...inner_of_a_30/

The idea of the deck is:

1. Play Possibility Storm
    2. Cast any Adventure sorcery. Possibility Storm finds the only actual sorcery in your deck: Enter the Infinite.
    3. Resolve enter the infinite, putting Borborygmos on top of your deck.
    4. Cast a 0-mana Walking Ballista, which possibilty storm makes into a Borborygmos.
    5. Discard all of the lands that you drew with Enter the Infinte, bolting your opponent repeatedly.

Now, unlike Pioneer or Modern, Legacy has a bunch of 6 Mana combos already, but I just wanted to see how this list would look in legacy.

Hypothetically, powering the combo out ASAP would look like:

Turn 1 - Land + Mox/Mana Dork
    Turn 2 - Land + Mox/Mana Dork + [Enlightened Tutor]
    Turn 3 - Sol Land + Possibility Storm + Adventure Sorcery

So at the minimum you need:

7 Adventure Sorceries
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Possibility Storm
    15 Lands
    7 Sol-Lands
    13 Mox Diamond/Mana Dorks
    1 Borborygmos
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Enter the infinite

That leaves about initially only 7 cards for Brainstorm, FOW, Daze and an Enlightened Tutor toolbox. Given that we can't fit that into the list above, I am initially assuming that we slow down for turn 4. So something that looks like this:

Turn 2 - Land + Draw Spell + [Enlightened Tutor]
    Turn 3 - Land/Mox/Mana Dork + [Once Upon a Time]
    Turn 4 - Sol Land + Possibility Storm + Adventure Sorcery + FOW/Daze

This lets us play something like the following:

14 Lands
    6 Sol Lands
    8 Mox/Mana Dork
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Possibility Storm
    6 Adventure Sorceries
    8 BS/Ponder
    8 Daze/FOW
    1 Once Upon A Time/Enlightened Tutor Target
    1 Borborygmos
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Enter the infinite

Another item to consider, what made the pioneer list so interesting is that it could play Aggro (or mid-game beats) until it combos off and wins. Essentially hitting from a two pronged Approach, given the mana acceleration. Not sure that we can take that approach, but it feels appropriate. We should try to find room for at least 8 efficient beats (other than lovestruck beast which is one of the Adventure Sorcery).

Let me know if anyone has any ideas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Possibility of Adventure

Spitballing here...

If you only have 8 slots dedicated to blue-based disruption, and sacrificing your cantrips on the altar of Force of Will, might it be better to play discard instead? It adds the 5th color to your mix, which is fairly sketchy given your need for Sol-lands already. Duress/Thoughtseize given Mox Diamond/Birds of Paradise might be perfectly fine, not quite sure.

One of the most potent protection spells could be Silence. It's cheap, it's in your combo colors and doesn't require alternative costs like pitching a blue card or returning a land with Daze (which can make your turn 4 combo even slower.) An argument can be made for protection in the form of an enlightened tutor target as well (such as Defense Grid) but it doesn't seem quite as reliable.

This seems like the perfect deck for Fae of Wishes if there was one for legacy. This really opens up a lot of protection options in your sideboard. Rosethorn Acolyte seems like the best 1 mana Adventure and the other playable one for a slower deck seems like Realm-cloaked Giant.

Good luck with this, it seems to be a fun but challenging project to accomplish in legacy.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be better to just play 4 Walking Ballista rather than leaning on Enlightened Tutor so much? With your mana dorks and Sol Lands it seems like a pretty powerful plan B all by itself.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Discard is definitely an option. Maybe instead of Cantrips. I can imagine a plan that looks more like the following:

Turn 2 - Land + Discard + [Enlightened Tutor]
    Turn 3 - Land/Mox/Mana Dork + [Once Upon a Time]+ Threat
    Turn 4 - Sol Land + Possibility Storm + Adventure Sorcery

So something more like:

14 Lands
    6 Sol Lands
    8 Mox/Mana Dork
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Possibility Storm
    6 Adventure Sorceries
    7 Threats/Beats
    8 Discard
    2 Once Upon A Time/Enlightened Tutor Target
    1 Borborygmos
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Enter the infinite

This lets us play 8 discard and 7 beats such as Goyf and whatnot.

Edit: Mr. Safety, the tutor is for the Possibility Storm, not Ballista.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Why not play a full set of Ballista for mid-game beats/value?

Also: if you're planning on using Force just to protect your combo, don't forget Pact of Negation as an option.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Why not play a full set of Ballista for mid-game beats/value?
    We definitely could, but the tutor was for getting Storm into hand.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    We definitely could, but the tutor was for getting Storm into hand.
    I'm an idiot...of course that's what it's for.
    Brainstorm Realist

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Discard is usually sorcery speed. so i guess that adding it to the deck would make the combo fizzle no?
    You need instants only in your deck.
    Silence, being instant speed is probably a better option.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Discard is usually sorcery speed. so i guess that adding it to the deck would make the combo fizzle no?
    You need instants only in your deck.
    Silence, being instant speed is probably a better option.
    ooph, you're completely right - I totally forgot. That said, Silence makes it a more expensive combo . . . anything like damping sphere or something we can get out the turn before might work? Xantid Swarm?

Although I guess if we do include silence/Orim's chant, we can run scepter lock for shits and giggles, which is helped by the Enlightened tutor? Run Teferi for extra lock? Also, how does Teferi interact with Possibility Storm?

You could try with Academy Rector though I'm not sure there are a lot of good sac outlets.

Fae of Wishes is a cute choice for the adventure, though lower cc ones might be better.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    You could try with Academy Rector though I'm not sure there are a lot of good sac outlets.

Fae of Wishes is a cute choice for the adventure, though lower cc ones might be better.
    A poster in the reddit thread proposed Fae of Wishes for the deck but it seems like it is to make due without Enlightened Tutor. We can cut tutor out for Fae and slow the deck down further if we are hurting for space?

bruizar

Can we please get card tags in this thread. Thanks!

The mana dork should be Orcish Lumberjack because he enables turn 2 combos.

T1: Taiga, Orcish Lumberjack
    T2: Ancient Tomb, Chop 3RRR or 3RRG, cast Possibility Storm, cast Embereth Shieldbreaker, Curious Pair or Lovestruck Beast

I'd play 4x Once Upon a Time 4x Serum Powder. With Moxen and an Orc, you don't need Ballista (Enter Infinite, play mox, cast mana dork with mox, get Borborygmos)

Orcish Lumberjack also gives you a viable hardcast plan for Borborygmos Enraged, and a beat down plan with 4x Lovestruck Beast

You still have access toVeil of Summer or Red Elemental Blast for protection

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I like the Lumberjack idea but Serum's powder seems like a no go since it might exile your singletons which are necessary for the combo. Additionally, why do you need to replace Walking Balista?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I like the Lumberjack idea but Serum's powder seems like a no go since it might exile your singletons which are necessary for the combo. Additionally, why do you need to replace Walking Balista?
    Edited, you don't actually need walking ballista at all. Serum Powder is like a free brainstorm, it combines well with Once Upon a Time as well. You can always take a normal mulligan with Serum Powder. The odds to mulligan into a combo hand dramatically increases, so you don't need brainstorms or ponders that are slow and don't dig as deep. It's not necessary per se, depends on the slots left, but you don't need to deep into blue to manipulate your opener.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Edited, you don't actually need walking ballista at all. Serum Powder is like a free brainstorm, it combines well with Once Upon a Time as well. You can always take a normal mulligan with Serum Powder. The odds to mulligan into a combo hand dramatically increases, so you don't need brainstorms or ponders that are slow and don't dig as deep. It's not necessary per se, depends on the slots left, but you don't need to deep into blue to manipulate your opener.
    Good call on unnecessary Balista spot!

So current deck-list would look like?

4 Serum Powder
    4 Once Upon a Time
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Borborygmos Enraged
    1 Enter the Infinite
    4 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Forest
    1 Mountain
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 [Other Manadork]
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Possibility Storm
    4 Lovestruck Beast
    4 Rosethorn Acolyte

That leaves 8 spots for protection or a plan B such as Wrenn/Punishing Fires or even other beats, lighting bolt. What do you think? It's certainly janky and fun looking assortment of cards that can randomly win.

bruizar

That looks like a cool list.

I would swipe right on Tinder Wall for the second Dork, It's the only other 1 mana creature that lets you double ramp on turn 2 without requiring other cards (like veteran explorer) as far as I know. It gets you 2 5 mana on turn 2 with a tomb/city. But it may be slightly inconvenient with the card I want to suggest next.

Some more thoughts:
    Natural Order is also an option if we squeeze a Dryad Arbor in. It's the slower and more risky play, but it gets Borborygmus into play and you'll be able to sideboard in another creature like Progenitus if he gets disrupted or needled or something.

Faithless Looting and Sylvan Library are cards to keep in mind (don't think we need either).

On the more yankier side, you could sideboard in Chandra, Awakened Inferno against control decks and some other decks.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

That looks like a cool list.

I would swipe right on Tinder Wall for the second Dork, It's the only other 1 mana creature that lets you double ramp on turn 2 without requiring other cards (like veteran explorer) as far as I know. It gets you 2 5 mana on turn 2 with a tomb/city. But it may be slightly inconvenient with the card I want to suggest next.
    Hmm, actually another thought since this is a full on jank combo deck at this point. We don't need to run Rosethorn Acolyte. We can just run Summoner's Pact. If we are running pact we can further run Elvish Spirit guide to be another mana dork in addition to to Tinder Wall.

bruizar

It's very much a glass cannon that requires the orc to live which is difficult with Wrenn & Six around, getting an active Orc is the main thing to worry about. You need to go off in a timely fashion without Orc. Summoner's Pact is interesting. Have you tested it a little bit yet?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

It's very much a glass cannon that requires the orc to live which is difficult with Wrenn & Six around, getting an active Orc is the main thing to worry about. You need to go off in a timely fashion without Orc. Summoner's Pact is interesting. Have you tested it a little bit yet?
    Yes, it's pretty consistent as a turn 2ish to 3rd turn combo deck with Pact, but you're completely right in that it is very fragile. What made the original deck decent was that it was realistically a R/G beatdown deck that randomly won the game in a combo fashion.

Sep 2011

Could you also build it as a beatdown deck with combo finish?

//Lands: 20
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Taiga
    3 Mountain
    1 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Artifacts and Enchantments: 14
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Defense Grid
    4 Possibility Storm

//Creatures: 20
    4 Lovestruck Beast
    4 Legion Warboss
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    4 Bonecrusher Giant
    2 Rosethorn Acolyte
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Borborygmos Enraged

//Sorcery: 1
    1 Enter the Infinite

//Planeswalkers: 5
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1 Chandra, Awakened Inferno

//Sideboard:
    3 Trinisphere
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Fiery Confluence
    2 Reclamation Sage
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Faerie Macabre

This could just be an Adventure Stompy deck. If you get Possibility Storm you can also win on the spot.

You could also include a 1-of instant to get with Stomp/Bonecrusher Giant.

Defense Grid makes a good resistor, protecting your combo without slowing you down. Or you could run Trinisphere main, which combos with Possibility Storm to basically stop your opponent from ever playing spells (they have to pay a tax on the first spell, then pay another 3 to resolve the 2nd random spell). I think that's even better than the Enter combo if you have board dominance. The drawback is 3sphere makes you need 9 mana to win with the combo, and that's with Possibility Storm already in play.

Interesting card interactions:
    Chalice of the Void + Possibility Storm
    You control both and choose the order of the triggers, so you can choose whether the card ends up in exile or the graveyard for either player.

Legion Warboss/Goblin Rabblemaster + Lovestruck Beast
    You create the token at the beginning of combat, before declaring attackers. This means you can have 0 1/1s in your main phase and still get to attack with the Beast.

Trinisphere + Possibility Storm
    Casting anything costs 3. Then Possibility Storm exiles it and reveals another card, which can only be cast if they pay another 3. Yes, Brainstorm costs 6 mana and might turn into a random counterspell countering nothing, and you can "counter" their Abrupt Decay. If you have a threat on the table, you probably just win.
    Last edited by FTW; 11-16-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Thread Information