View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1146 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1466461046109611361142114311441145114611471148114911501156 ... LastLast
Results 22,901 to 22,920 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Watching this thing go off, even post-Uro, is a thing to behold. Shitting out 100+ hasted trample power in single turn is nothing to sneeze at. How Lotus Cobra still remains legal in Standard aside from WotC being in full greed mode is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Maybe that just doesn't matter, from what I have seen mtg seems to be more popular than ever.
    Really? I haven't followed the recent numbers, especially with Corona screwing things up.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

It seems to me like they banned the wrong card. If this was 6-8 months ago, good ban. However, at this point there are more relevant cards to axe. Wizards really phoned this one in. There was zero actual thought put into this decision.
    Not that I actually plan Standard, but when I do it's lame to watch your opponent jack off with Omnath/ lotus cobra or just ramp into Ugin turn 5.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    It seems to me like they banned the wrong card. If this was 6-8 months ago, good ban. However, at this point there are more relevant cards to axe. Wizards really phoned this one in. There was zero actual thought put into this decision.
    Not that I actually plan Standard, but when I do it's lame to watch your opponent jack off with Omnath/ lotus cobra or just ramp into Ugin turn 5.
    It's kinda hilarious that WotC's stance is that BoP is too good for Standard when Elvish Mystic caused zero issues during its latest Standard run. Yet printing a bazillion ramp spells with effectively zero countermeasures is a-ok.

I expect Lotus Cobra (and Omnath) being banned in about a month or so, depending when most of the packs are sold. That seems to be WotC's new modus operandi under F.I.R.E. - print a bunch of overpowered shit, then ban it later when the set has run its course saleswise.

For Eternal formats, that's disasterous, as overpowered shit keeps getting dumped into the formats, with actions taking years more often than not.

The single funniest thing about the Uro ban is that it pushed people into trying Omnath in the Temur Adventures shell - which it turns out is an even higher power deck than the previous Omnath Ramp shell was. I played the new hotness today just running my dailies. Went from 85% Mythic to 95% Mythic. Only loss was to a U/B Tempo Rogues deck that drew (and milled me) absolutely perfectly, and it was still really close in the end.

It's pretty simple, you can have a format with Omnath or one with fetches, but not both. Omnath probably means no Cobra too. Just freaking mindboggling. The whole thing. I'm honestly shocked Uro was the only thing that got banned. Of course, I never understood how Nissa and Krasis both survived their entire time in standard either, so what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Watching this thing go off, even post-Uro, is a thing to behold. Shitting out 100+ hasted trample power in single turn is nothing to sneeze at. How Lotus Cobra still remains legal in Standard aside from WotC being in full greed mode is beyond me.

Really? I haven't followed the recent numbers, especially with Corona screwing things up.
    Covid aside, iirc they said 2019 was their best year yet, they have been growing yoy for a while. Arena is hitting its stride now their marketing team is going into overdrive with all these special crossovers. Also the promotional videos they make actually trend on youtube when they release and the netflix thing that appears to be happening as well.

If I wasn't so addicted and bored, I would have deleted arena a long time ago.

I stopped playing standard before Fires got banned and it didn't improve much.
    Seeing how the format got basically instantly solved, it seems I made the right call.
    However, it's not like historic is much better either.
    Most of the time I see BUG Nissa+Uro+Ugin+Krasis pile.
    At least it's not goblins that can kill you from hellbent with a Muxus topdeck.

Brawl has been somewhat enjoyable, even if it's just because all these braindead Omnath netdeckers keep folding to my Snapdax after they drop their Omnath.

Maybe it's their strategy to push everyone into singleton formats because you don't have to see the same op crap every game and even if you do, they only have 1 copy, excluding the commander.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    If I wasn't so addicted and bored, I would have deleted arena a long time ago.

I stopped playing standard before Fires got banned and it didn't improve much.
    Seeing how the format got basically instantly solved, it seems I made the right call.
    However, it's not like historic is much better either.
    Most of the time I see BUG Nissa+Uro+Ugin+Krasis pile.
    At least it's not goblins that can kill you from hellbent with a Muxus topdeck.

Brawl has been somewhat enjoyable, even if it's just because all these braindead Omnath netdeckers keep folding to my Snapdax after they drop their Omnath.

Maybe it's their strategy to push everyone into singleton formats because you don't have to see the same op crap every game and even if you do, they only have 1 copy, excluding the commander.
    Limited is fine :)
    especially since you can go infinite easily once you have 10000 golds in this format which not bomb oriented :)

The stuff, they banned it in Standard.

Cardboard Crack is back and more importantly is actually funny once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath of pie View Post
    cardboard crack is back and more importantly is actually funny once in a while.
    mods!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    mods!
    On it!

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Pretty good podcast dropped on EternalGlory. It isn't up on the website yet but it's available to listen. Lots of talk about Dreadhorde Arcanist and Oko, Thief of Grounds.

https://www.theeternalglorypodcast.com/

EDIT: Side note, these guys are putting out the best legacy content, easily, based only on the podcast. Add in the efforts with YouTube content, streaming, and running their individual websites and it's basically tier 0.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2015
    PDX

Yeah, they need to stop trying to sneak in bad ban ideas. It's ban Oko, and just Oko. Just take away PW-killer from Astrolabe, and watch cards like Lilly, Last Hope cover for the role DRS would have fulfilled. It's a 1/3 that dies to removal, in an environment moving back to black and Cling to Dust. This is a waste of a ban.

The card you care about after an Oko ban is Echo of Eons above all others. Now this is a messy one b/c you also have to hit Day's Undoing [which doesn't make sense], and end up needing to ban a card we shouldn't have to in Hullbreacher. No matter what though, Echo has to get axed first in this sequence, before a Zirda-style quality of life ban on Hull/Days.

I agree that arcanist might not be bannable with oko gone. Arcanist trades down with leyline, bolt, plow, plague engineer etc. Encouraging more creature interaction and less pyroblast is good and it is a 2 mana creature that literally dies to doom blade at card and tempo parity. The fact that it pushes out all 2 damage removal (pfire) is bad but I am not sure if that makes it bannable.

The problem is if you have a deck with plow, chalice, cage, cling etc you just get dumpstered by oko right now. Untapping with a 2 drop=you win is a horrible play pattern, but library and elvish reclaimer are similar.

If all the premier blue threats both use the gy (uro/arcanist/echo/sanctuary, goyf and mandrills become better in the mirror with oko gone) and are vulnerable to 3ball and chalice that is healthy imo. With oko gone blue needs to choose between powerful and flexible/resilient threats instead of having everything.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Listen to the podcast, it's really good. You'll find your points, and much more, all included in there from some of the best legacy content producers.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Listen to the podcast, it's really good. You'll find your points, and much more, all included in there from some of the best legacy content producers.
    I’m subscribed to Phil’s twitch and have listened to every one since the summer. I was trying to echo that all their points about uro apply to arcanist except mana cost. It slots in easily to blue decks too and negates the issue of force of negationing everything. Moreover, arcanist is not a banedrifter. It is a very good bane slayer. Uro is a banedrifter that puts you ahead even if you have a surgical or plow immediately. I counter the “if the opponent escapedy uro multiple times, a real game was played” with if I play a 2 drop and you kill it with any non-of legacy legal removal spell, we are actually interacting. Vs hard gy hate the snow player still has a explore with gain 3 life and , if they have karakas, buyback. That is a much better card than a 2 mana 1/3.

Kill me immediately or die creatures have always existed in legacy (blighted agent, goblin lackey). They require more build around than arcanist but actually end the game immediately (the age old JTMS vs show & tell debate) I contest that playing against a quick snowbally threat is bad (they just daze everything and you lose) but the force everything keep casting uro playstyle is even worse. The way to beat arcanist is play more cheap removal (when that isn’t punished by oko), which is healthy. The way to beat uro is play uninteractive comboes or emrakul which is bad.

But oko must go. It’s the common link and the most played card.

4C Loam and Stompy destroy arcanist. 12 post and oops destroy oko (& uro). Which deck is having success right now should tell you which card is the truly problematic one.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah, I saw you even had a brew get used by boshnroll. I was really responding to Fox.
    Brainstorm Realist

May 2015
    PDX

I mean I listened to the podcast, but the thing is none of those three content creators understand that if Oko can't turn turn Astro into a PW killer that 4 Ponder, 4 BS, 4 Astro, 4 DHA = decisively losing to pretty much every legacy playable 3 drop PW. DHA is not a problem worthy of banning.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

i agree with above ^^, but just ban brainstorm...

what would happen to the meta? what could you unban?

i actually care less and less.
    i've played legacy maybe three times in the last 10 months. also, i just sold 99% of my foils and about half my duals; good times...

Brainstorm or fetches.
    Preferable both and ponder too.
    Preordain I'm give you a chance

Thread Information