Page 101 of 428 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 8554

Thread: [Deck] GW/x Maverick

May 2011
    Denmark

Re: [DTB] GW/x Maverick

Thanks alot Xile, your comments are immensely helpfull. I will spend some time digesting them and make changes.

The Jitte plan was thought mainly as a way of tempoing out the mirror. It is admittedly quite experimemental (read: Possibly quite bad), your thought about a second witness is also interesting although i think it will be too clunky.

On a different note i am really not a fan of the blue splash. The only blue cards i really want in this deck are jace and submerge and the list is already pretty tight.

Geist is an agressive non plowable creature in a deck full of plowable stuff that wants to play board control. Rhox does not solve a problem you can't solve with batterskul+ proper enlightened tutoring.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

My friend asked for some tips with this deck, I thought I'd share with the whole class.

key to playing the deck:
    1. fetch basics
    1a. if they don't run wastes, dual it up
    1b. Submerge is a real card
    2. get to 3-4 mana as priority #1
    2a. this allows you to start pumping out knights/gsz->knight/sfm equips
    3. Knight for wastes if they don't have a threat and you can prevent them from casting their spells
    3a. don't do this vs Tempo they only need 2 lands)
    3b. cut off red sources against tempo
    3c. prevent 4 mana from stoneblade (jace) if possible
    4. Ooze is the shit - he's your mid-game bomb vs a lot o stuff
    5. your life total doesn't really matter unless it's against Red or flyers
    6. learn to use scryb ranger judiciously
    6a. don't walk into removal when you activate her without an active mom
    6b. don't activate her when mom's tapped, that's when removal happens
    7. jitte is doing to be doing a lot of heavy duty in any creature matchup
    8. witnessing back Stp or wasteland is perfectly legitimate play
    9. board out 2 nobles vs Mass removal decks (wrath, deed)
    10. Mom sucks against affinity (duh)
    11. pridemage sucks against RUG tempo, but you may want 1-2 against Mind Harness
    12. SUBMERGE and MASSACRE exist, try to play carefully when those become a factor; also see (1b).
    13. stp'ing Delver on turn 1 is a fine play, but don't walk it into a Daze.
    14. mulligan to relevant hands against known decks (stp usually)
    15. some hands with dryad arbor are keepable. they should not rely on GSZ -> arbor
    15a. hands with 5 lands are NOT keepable (no gas)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    My friend asked for some tips with this deck, I thought I'd share with the whole class.

key to playing the deck:
    1. fetch basics
    1a. if they don't run wastes, dual it up
    1b. Submerge is a real card
    2. get to 3-4 mana as priority #1
    2a. this allows you to start pumping out knights/gsz->knight/sfm equips
    3. Knight for wastes if they don't have a threat and you can prevent them from casting their spells
    3a. don't do this vs Tempo they only need 2 lands)
    3b. cut off red sources against tempo
    3c. prevent 4 mana from stoneblade (jace) if possible
    4. Ooze is the shit - he's your mid-game bomb vs a lot o stuff
    5. your life total doesn't really matter unless it's against Red or flyers
    6. learn to use scryb ranger judiciously
    6a. don't walk into removal when you activate her without an active mom
    6b. don't activate her when mom's tapped, that's when removal happens
    7. jitte is doing to be doing a lot of heavy duty in any creature matchup
    8. witnessing back Stp or wasteland is perfectly legitimate play
    9. board out 2 nobles vs Mass removal decks (wrath, deed)
    10. Mom sucks against affinity (duh)
    11. pridemage sucks against RUG tempo, but you may want 1-2 against Mind Harness
    12. SUBMERGE and MASSACRE exist, try to play carefully when those become a factor; also see (1b).
    12a. HIBERNATION can screw you over.
    13. stp'ing Delver on turn 1 is a fine play, but don't walk it into a Daze.
    14. mulligan to relevant hands against known decks (stp usually)
    15. some hands with dryad arbor are keepable. they should not rely on GSZ -> arbor
    15a. hands with 5 lands are NOT keepable (no gas)
    Coming back from a night of testing the burn matchup and all I can say is it is still terrible preboard. Jitte is literally the only hope I feel and sometimes it still doesn't get there. Both Batterskull and Rhox War Monk were too slow and Thalia only really slows them down if they do not have a bolt or chain for her. In all the burn matches I played around the price to progress by fetching up my three basics firsts and only running out maybe one nonbasic unless they were wastelands. Any tips on this matchup for games 1?

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    Coming back from a night of testing the burn matchup and all I can say is it is still terrible preboard. Jitte is literally the only hope I feel and sometimes it still doesn't get there. Both Batterskull and Rhox War Monk were too slow and Thalia only really slows them down if they do not have a bolt or chain for her. In all the burn matches I played around the price to progress by fetching up my three basics firsts and only running out maybe one nonbasic unless they were wastelands. Any tips on this matchup for games 1?
    Don't be afraid to Swords to Plowshares your own guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Oh ya, found another one - don't board out Scryb Ranger against Price of Progress. (GSZ for 2... oooops)
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Feb 2009

Also, Gaddock Teeg prevents Fireblast.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Have you tested Kitchen Finks? I haven't, but this could be slightly speedbump vs Burn.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Sep 2010
    Volgograd, Russia

I want to add about mirrors:
    don't search library when opponent passes turn with 2 lands and hierarch untapped.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Don't be afraid to Swords to Plowshares your own guys.
    I wasn't. I had to get rid of an Ooze and Teeg at one point in the game leaving just a noble on board.

Have you tested Kitchen Finks? I haven't, but this could be slightly speedbump vs Burn.
    I haven't personally tested it but he seems like the best option right now. Gains 2 life and blocks/kills one of their guys then gains us 2 more life and can still chump. The guy is even a nice trick for the black pox deck running around.

Also, Gaddock Teeg prevents Fireblast.
    It seems to always be able to shut down at least one card in every deck which makes me think it might deserve a md slot but I was never impressed when I drew it during game 1 and recently tried him in the side.
    Last edited by Fade; 03-06-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Imo the most important thing to remember vs burn is to keep wasteland(s) untapped as soon as possible in the game, otherwise PoP can really fuck us over. In the same spirit, start by fetching some basics if possible. I really like the tutor + worship tech for G2/3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    In France, there is also some habits to say hello to your baker when you buy some bread, with no penalty if I don't. However if I don't do it, my fame is damaged. that is the reason why I always say hello to my baker in France.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Maëlig View Post
    Imo the most important thing to remember vs burn is to keep wasteland(s) untapped as soon as possible in the game, otherwise PoP can really fuck us over. In the same spirit, start by fetching some basics if possible. I really like the tutor + worship tech for G2/3.
    Out of the 20 or so games I had with burn yesterday (I made him play first about 15 times), I would just get smoked. I would always fetch up my three basics first and maybe fetch up one savannah. The only other lands I played were wastelands which rarely ever tapped in fear of the PoP. I used to run Worship in the board with tutors but sometimes you never get the four mana needed. That being said I think we need some type of enchantment against burn whether its Worship, COP:Red, or Leyline of Sancitity. It's also very hard to win when you play a competent burn player who will bolt/chain/rift bolt your noble hierarch.

Feb 2009

Out of the 20 or so games I had with burn yesterday (I made him play first about 15 times), I would just get smoked. I would always fetch up my three basics first and maybe fetch up one savannah. The only other lands I played were wastelands which rarely ever tapped in fear of the PoP. I used to run Worship in the board with tutors but sometimes you never get the four mana needed. That being said I think we need some type of enchantment against burn whether its Worship, COP:Red, or Leyline of Sancitity. It's also very hard to win when you play a competent burn player who will bolt/chain/rift bolt your noble hierarch.
    Keep better hands.

Honestly, though, it's just a terrible matchup. Rhox doesn't help. Finks doesn't help. If they know what they're doing, you'll gain life exactly once and then they'll kill you.

The best way to deal with it is to stick a Jitte on something they can't kill and start going to town.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

My plan against Burn at the Grand Prix is thus:

Dodge bullets like Neo from the Matrix.

/rant/ Why. Won't. The. Damned. Burn. Deck. Die. Already? /endrant/

EDIT: super janky really bad-tech: Burrenton Forge-tender stops PoP, recurrable with SoLS, lives to carry equipment. Probably only good in D&T however.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Honestly, though, it's just a terrible matchup. Rhox doesn't help. Finks doesn't help. If they know what they're doing, you'll gain life exactly once and then they'll kill you.

The best way to deal with it is to stick a Jitte on something they can't kill and start going to town.
    I agree in the games where I did win it was always on the back of jitte with the help of a scavenging ooze sometimes. As long as the burn player draws into nothing, scavenging ooze is sometimes good enough.

My plan against Burn at the Grand Prix is thus:

Dodge bullets like Neo from the Matrix.

/rant/ Why. Won't. The. Damned. Burn. Deck. Die. Already? /endrant/
    Yea I don't even know if it's worth having a slot devoted strictly to burn at the GP as it would only marginally increase our chances with 3 extra relevant cards against them. Even after board they can smash our Jitte which is half of our plan.

Keep better hands.
    I agree that finks and rhox are not the "BEST" answer you colud have against burn, but they definetly help. And the reason i run both rhox and finks is not to beat burn especifically, they're great in plenty of other MU. Finks are good against zoo, canadian thresh, sweepers (WoG, perish, virtue's ruin), and obviously burn. This is the definition of a good sideboard card.

Loves Witchcraft. <3
    Oct 2010

If you ask me, burn has the inevitability unless we play cards like worship or some other janky sideboard cards that are really narrow. My thought for a plan would be that I want to beat the burn player to death before he burns me, and if I get him to play defensive and spend more and more burn to my creatures, it allows me to live longer and therefore hopefully - win the game.

By approaching the matchup this way I would imagine that Geist of Saint Traft would be pretty neat. If you get him online on turn 2, you'll start hitting 6-7+ a turn. My -another pet card- another suggestion would be Rafiq of the Many. ...and maybe Shorecrasher Mimic..? Well, that's far fetched and it won't work for sure without turning the deck into bantfish something.

I have to admit that I'm limited to knowing cards really well only from morningtide and forward, but I'd imagine that you guys might have some cards in mind which could back up this plan. Maverick usually has the inevitability in the games that it plays but I don't see any way how to guarantee this inevitability against burn.

Vengevine(s) could also work, they're neat against control also, but might not be good enough never the less.
    Last edited by Machahiko; 03-06-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: fixing tags - adding tags!

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Is the burn matchup really that bad that people are jumping through all kinds of hoops to play terrible cards to improve that matchup?

How about keep it simple with cards that aren't dead against the rest of the field? Run at least a 1-of Tarmogoyf again, giving you a total of 5 fatties that don't die to a Bolt while serving as a nice wall against their bad creatures, plus four Zeniths to fetch them. Slap a Jitte on them and ride to victory. If you can't find a fatty quickly enough, use plan B (Batterskull) and pray. If the game goes late, fetching up an Ooze is usually good game.

Sure, you'll still lose to some burn nutdraws when you keep a slow hand and you don't autowin from Enlightened Tutor into CoP: Red or Worship, or they wreck you with Smash to Smithereens, but I'd much rather run good cards against the rest of the field.

Apr 2011
    Cincy, OH

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Is the burn matchup really that bad that people are jumping through all kinds of hoops to play terrible cards to improve that matchup?

How about keep it simple with cards that aren't dead against the rest of the field? Run at least a 1-of Tarmogoyf again, giving you a total of 5 fatties that don't die to a Bolt while serving as a nice wall against their bad creatures, plus four Zeniths to fetch them. Slap a Jitte on them and ride to victory. If you can't find a fatty quickly enough, use plan B (Batterskull) and pray. If the game goes late, fetching up an Ooze is usually good game.

Sure, you'll still lose to some burn nutdraws when you keep a slow hand and you don't autowin from Enlightened Tutor into CoP: Red or Worship, or they wreck you with Smash to Smithereens, but I'd much rather run good cards against the rest of the field.
    Having a Goyf in the deck would not improve the matchup. the only creatures burn cares about are Noble Hierarch and dryad to slow us down enough and keep us from landing a creature. Goyf would still come down on turn 2 like all of our other creatures and at that point he is too small and would just get bolted.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I want to take a step back and think about Maverick going forward. I believe part of the reason why Maverick is so good in this metagame is in no part due to Stoneblade's popularity. Being that Stoneblade essentially became a Standard deck to Legacy deck overnight has something to do with the success Maverick has achieved in the time since SFM and Jace got the ban hammer in July.

Should the trend remain, then Maverick is well positioned to continue succeeding. However, if Stoneblade and RUG tempo start to become inbred and lose their edge, then Maverick also stands to lose too.

Any predictions on the metagame going forward (possibly past the GP this weekend)?
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Having a Goyf in the deck would not improve the matchup. the only creatures burn cares about are Noble Hierarch and dryad to slow us down enough and keep us from landing a creature. Goyf would still come down on turn 2 like all of our other creatures and at that point he is too small and would just get bolted.
    Land + creature in graveyard means Goyf is safe from Bolt or Chain.

Land + sorcery in graveyard means Goyf is safe from Bolt, but not Chain; land + instant in graveyard means Goyf is safe from Chain, but not Bolt. It seems pretty easy to accomplish(like no work whatsoever) unless your Burn opponent is randomly boarding into Faerie Macabre.

Thread Information