Page 159 of 160 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160 LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 3183

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Re: [Deck] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    Virtue's Ruin or Martyr's Cry? I still think Pyroclasm is better than Infest though. I think the extra mana is kind of relevant. I can't wait to see Bryant's new SB.
    completely off topic for this discussion, Martyr's Cry, nice one. Forgot that card existed.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Blah blah. Matyr's Cry is WW. Good luck casting that. And Infest is available in foil whereas Virtue's Ruin is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    Blah blah. Matyr's Cry is WW. Good luck casting that. And Infest is available in foil whereas Virtue's Ruin is not.
    yes... which is why it was off topic. And yes, foiling, reason above all others. Well played sir, discussion closed.
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Bryant, I know we talked at the GP about Infest and such, but is it really necessary? It may very well be but at the GP I played 6 Maverick players and only ever failed to get a kill before hatebears came down in one match. Maybe we are just boarding differently? Personally Ive been cutting duress for the bounce so that I can still Chant-walk the maverick player to buy time.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Shattering Spree over Hull Breach— even though Hull Breach has more applications, Shattering Spree is better at what it does. Leyline of Sanctity, like Gaddock Teeg and Meddling Mage on Tendrils, in many ways doesn't hinder your turns at all; it just forces you to deal with it before you actually win the game (haven't played enough against Pillar to warrant speaking on it, but it seems that this axiom would not apply to it). Chalice of the Void/Trinisphere/Canonist/Sphere of Resistance/Lodestone Golem actually force you to play a different game whilst they're in play, so having a card that can deal with not only one but a combination of all of them in a very mana-efficient, nigh-uncounterable manner is very good. Still though, I haven't tested Hull Breach at all, so I'll have to do that before coming to any sort of definitive conclusion.

Though I like Meltdown more in Doomsday, Shattering Spree is way, way better in TES.

As for the Infest vs. Virtue's Ruin debate, I haven't come to any sort of preliminary conclusion over it. I would have for sure played Ruin over Infest at the GP since you should always metagame for day two (it's the same reason why I should have been playing Chain of Vapor over Echoing Truth, even though I'll probably continue to play Truth over Chain at my local store), and the only day two deck that that particular slot really applies to is Maverick. I think that if I had to pick one, though, I'd side with Ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kruchkow View Post
    Bryant, I know we talked at the GP about Infest and such, but is it really necessary? It may very well be but at the GP I played 6 Maverick players and only ever failed to get a kill before hatebears came down in one match. Maybe we are just boarding differently? Personally Ive been cutting duress for the bounce so that I can still Chant-walk the maverick player to buy time.
    I actually boarded in the exact same fashion whenever I was on the play against Maverick; I probably should have boarded into that configuration regardless every time.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Dec 2008

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    I actually boarded in the exact same fashion whenever I was on the play against Maverick; I probably should have boarded into that configuration regardless every time.
    Boarded like that everytime against them and it worked perfectly. Granted I probably had a bit of luck but the real thing you need to do is just mull appropriately. If your hand doesn't have a chance at a turn two kill, it needs to go back

Bryant Cook

You'll read about it in my article that comes out later tonight. But I had some awful beats.

I didn't leave in Chants, I opted for Duress, but the only time it was relevant was a game one where I didn't have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    Shattering Spree over Hull Breach— even though Hull Breach has more applications, Shattering Spree is better at what it does. Leyline of Sanctity, like Gaddock Teeg and Meddling Mage on Tendrils, in many ways doesn't hinder your turns at all; it just forces you to deal with it before you actually win the game (haven't played enough against Pillar to warrant speaking on it, but it seems that this axiom would not apply to it). Chalice of the Void/Trinisphere/Canonist/Sphere of Resistance/Lodestone Golem actually force you to play a different game whilst they're in play, so having a card that can deal with not only one but a combination of all of them in a very mana-efficient, nigh-uncounterable manner is very good. Still though, I haven't tested Hull Breach at all, so I'll have to do that before coming to any sort of definitive conclusion.

Also, Shattering Spree kills multiple hate bears = )

Good plan, I'm going to try that!

Dec 2008

Out of curiosity, how have you guys found the UR Delver deck to be in testing? Personally it has been abysmal for me. Obviously there is a ton of variation in the lists but the average list with Snare, Force and Pillar out of the board seems rough.

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Out of curiosity, how have you guys found the UR Delver deck to be in testing? Personally it has been abysmal for me. Obviously there is a ton of variation in the lists but the average list with Snare, Force and Pillar out of the board seems rough.
    Seemed like an okay match up to me. It's a race for sure.
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.

Bryant Cook

Seemed like an okay match up to me. It's a race for sure.
    I feel the same, I've played the match-up vs. the deck's creator (Doug McKay) and I won both matches.

Dec 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I feel the same, I've played the match-up vs. the deck's creator (Doug McKay) and I won both matches.
    How were you boarding? I mean you bring in both bounce and Blast right?

Bryant Cook

How were you boarding? I mean you bring in both bounce and Blast right?
    He didn't play Pillar, not that I'm aware of anyway. I didn't board in bounce.

Is PiF your goto card in the Sligh match up too or do you just stick with IGG like back in the day?

Also, I just finished reading the two latest tournament reports in the reports section and noticed a lot of talk about Chain of Vapors. What's that about? Is it just because it's faster?

Dec 2008

Them not having post-board Pillar flips the matchup to be sure. Pillar+Countermagic is just so rough though

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Them not having post-board Pillar flips the matchup to be sure. Pillar+Countermagic is just so rough though
    -1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Ponder
    -1 Infernal Tutor
    +3 Pyroblast

And just Duress the shit out of Pyrostatic Pillar.

If it's too much, reboard for game three. There's not much reason why we should be losing game one against them.

-1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Ponder
    -1 Infernal Tutor
    +1 Duress
    +2 Echoing Truth

That seems OK, too, if pillar is something you're worried about. Duress/Chant should be enough.

Dec 2008

-1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Ponder
    -1 Infernal Tutor
    +3 Pyroblast

And just Duress the shit out of Pyrostatic Pillar.

If it's too much, reboard for game three. There's not much reason why we should be losing game one against them.

-1 Chrome Mox
    -1 Ponder
    -1 Infernal Tutor
    +1 Duress
    +2 Echoing Truth

That seems OK, too, if pillar is something you're worried about. Duress/Chant should be enough.
    Im thinking I've just been getting unlucky when they always have pillar turn two. Although if I see pillar bounce will always come in as I don't like relying on Duress'ing it

Sep 2011
    Birmingham, AL

If people don't want to run Infest, that's their choice. I just don't want to hear about it when it doesn't work out for them. There's situations that do occur where clearing the board is necessary. I was in a side event at Indy where I was forced to Pyroclasm away Elves' board because I couldn't combo out due to the cards in my hand. Shit does happen, same could of been said for Goblins. Brandon Adams (Emildn) was watching, I'm sure he can confirm.

I'm a firm believer in that Infest is the card to play, but go ahead and run Virtues Ruin.
    Yea the infest away elves board has come up for me once or twice two as there are a couple elf combo players in my meta. I am currently, and have been playing, infest in TES for months now mainly because I found a foil jap one and my virtues ruin can't be foil jap, but while I was playing the card I learned that it is actually a solid board card.
    It helps you be more versatile than ruin(and sometimes clasm) and can wipe away certain bears that they have. Granted if they have sworded hatebears you probably aren't going to win anyway but this never happened as you are usually faster than maverick and they have to slam down bears t2 and t3 to stop you from winning. The main thing I noticed when using it was it is a shit metric ton more versatile than Virtue's Ruin, and with playing TES versatility is the key to winning.

Is PiF your goto card in the Sligh match up too or do you just stick with IGG like back in the day?

Also, I just finished reading the two latest tournament reports in the reports section and noticed a lot of talk about Chain of Vapors. What's that about? Is it just because it's faster?
    Against burn I board in an IGG, and against delver I Board in a PiF just in case, which usually works out fine. IGG helps kill around pillar also againts burn, and PiF helps kill around pillar in the Ur Mu's (granted the latter will almost never happen if they t2 pillar).

Quote Originally Posted by j_rb View Post
    Against burn I board in an IGG, and against delver I Board in a PiF just in case, which usually works out fine. IGG helps kill around pillar also againts burn, and PiF helps kill around pillar in the Ur Mu's (granted the latter will almost never happen if they t2 pillar).
    Interesting, sometimes, I'm hesitant in boarding in Wish targets because I feel like it's going to bite me in the ass if I'm stuck with Burning Wish. How do the others feel about this?' (note: if you board out Infernal Tutor, do you still board in wish targets as you have more Burning Wishes than Infernal Tutors...)

People keep citing "Pillar" as a problem. Am I missing something? Are we still talking about Pyrostatic Pillar? I don't think that card is a problem at all. Don't you just tendrils them 2 times? Once you tendrils them once, you gain the life back. Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been on mtgthesource.com as much as I'd like, recently, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Dec 2008

Interesting, sometimes, I'm hesitant in boarding in Wish targets because I feel like it's going to bite me in the ass if I'm stuck with Burning Wish. How do the others feel about this?' (note: if you board out Infernal Tutor, do you still board in wish targets as you have more Burning Wishes than Infernal Tutors...)

People keep citing "Pillar" as a problem. Am I missing something? Are we still talking about Pyrostatic Pillar? I don't think that card is a problem at all. Don't you just tendrils them 2 times? Once you tendrils them once, you gain the life back. Thanks for the clarification. I haven't been on mtgthesource.com as much as I'd like, recently, so I'm not sure what's going on.
    The problem is that in decks running bolt, fireblast and price, sometimes you go so loww before the tendrils that they just kill you.

And personally Ive been boarding in an IGG vs burn but thats about the only time I board in a wish target

Thread Information