Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

Dec 2016
    Portland, ME

Soldier + Geddon Stompy

New the the page and group. I have been on a version of soldier stompy for the last several months that I have thoroughly enjoyed and I thought I would share.

Creatures:24
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    4 Preeminent Captain
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    2 Daru Warchief
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Gustcloak Savior
    4 Captain of the Watch

Spells:15
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Suppression Field
    3 Armageddon

Lands:22
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    3 Karakas
    4 Plains

Sideboard:15
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Palace Jailer
    2 Selfless Squire
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Rest in Peace
    2 Council's Judgment
    2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

I definitely like the deck far more as a prison approach as opposed to an aggro one.

The Gustcloak in the main isn't essential. It used to be a second Brimaz and it can be a Mirror Entity.

I don't think Ballyrush should be in the deck, nor do I think Enlistment Officer works once you cut down on the number of total soldiers in the deck. Palace Jailer is a liability in the wrong matchups, so I keep it as a tutor target.

Karakas is just too important to not have in the deck, hence three of them. Yes, it becomes difficult to use with a Suppression Field in play. The matchups where it matters, though, are those in which you need it immediately, such as against SNT or Reanimator.

Armageddon has been absolutely key to maintaining an advantage and winning numerous games. Preeminent Captain into Armageddon is lights out against most decks. It also insulates you against your opponent drawing out of a lock. It synergizes perfectly with Suppression Field, thereby locking an opponent out of top-decked fetchlands or an active planeswalker. Opponents spend most of their countermagic on Suppression Field and Chalice, which opens up the chance to resolve Armageddon. Obviously the Flagstones are in the deck to provide a fast recovery.

The Swords in the board are a hedge against fair matchups and Eldrazi. They come in whenever I am boarding out Chalice. Bringing them in really helps against Eldrazi because they are left with a choice of bringing Chalice back in for game three or just conceding that the soldier deck has better removal.

Prelate is there for Storm. Jailer is in the board and main for SNT, Miracles and Reanimator. Elspeth comes in against Eldrazi, Miracles, and Shardless. Council's Judgment is there for any deck with a difficult permanent to overcome, such as Moat, Ensnaring Bridge, TNN, or an obnoxious piece of equipment. Selfless has won me games against Lands, Eldrazi, Elves, and SNT. It is such a good card when you are being overrun. Obviously the RIP are for graveyard decks, especially Lands, Dredge and Reanimator.

I hope this proved thought-provoking. This is the list I will be running at GP Louisville. Hope to see other soldier decks in the fray.

I've been having quite a bit of success playtesting this list online (on xmage):

4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Fairgrounds Warden
    3 Ballyrush Banneret
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Daru Warchief
    3 Enlistment Officer
    1 Palace Jailer
    3 Captain of the Watch

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Winter Orb

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Karakas
    4 Snow-Covered Plains

SB:
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Palace Jailer
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Leonin Relic-Warder
    4 Damping Matrix

I think the way to make this deck really work is just to maximize the Thalia effect and mulligan nearly every hand until you have something that you can play on turn 1 = i.e. turn 1 chalice, turn 1 winter orb, turn 1 thalia (with a chrome mox), turn 1 preeminent captain...

The Fairgrounds Warden and Palace Jailers give you just enough removal that was missing before that you can out-tempo the fair decks through blockers. They are kind of blank against noncreature decks, of course, but Palace Jailer even can function as a pseudo-Enlistment Officer if they don't have creatures to attack back with.

If you can get one of the 12 main soldier threats in play early, you're usually pretty golden. Ballyrush Banneret is back in this deck over the flying soldiers because with 4 Fairgrounds Warden and 1 Palace Jailer MD, you have enough removal for Delver of Secrets that the flying guys aren't really needed as much. Ballyrush Banneret is very good at breaking Winter Orb symmetry too.

Re: Soldier Stompy (Tribal Tomb-Based Aggro)

I recently made Top 4 at a Legacy $1k with the above list.

Here's what I faced:

Rd1: 2-1 vs. 12post: Winter Orb does the trick here, and Preeminent Captain is too fast a clock.
    Rd2: 2-1 vs. Lands(!): Despite losing G1 to Glacial Chasm lock and then Marit Lage kill, in G2 and G3 Rest in Peace and Winter Orb both pull their weight, along with Thalia 2.0.
    Rd3: 2-1 vs. Death'n'Taxes(!): Lost one game to a Sword of War and Peace but in the other two games guys like Fairgrounds Warden and Palace Jailer were amazing getting rid of his threats.
    Rd4: 0-2 vs. Infect: Could have won G1 if I had untapped City of Traitors under Winter Orb so I could play Recruiter of the Guard -> fetch Jailer -> flash Jailer in on his Blighted Agent, but alas, I didn't. Tough matchup, but winnable.
    Rd5: ID

Top8 Rd1: 2-1 vs. RW Painter: G1 he wins quickly with the combo, but in G2 and G3 I have copious hate (4 Damping Matrix, 3 Leonin Relic-Warder) that is too much for his deck to handle, along with the fast clock.
    Top8 Rd2: 0-2 vs. Shardless BUG: This was the roughest match of the day. He just hit all of his abrupt decays and Lilis and ancestral visions and even my Rest in Peace from the board wasn't enough.

The deck feels strong. I don't know if it's strong enough to make a run at a really large tournament, but I definitely felt in control for most of the day. I mostly only lost games due to misplays on my own part, and except for the Top8 match against BUG Shardless I felt like even the games I lost I just barely lost. I like the way the deck plays and it's fun and exciting to play.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    I recently made Top 4 at a Legacy $1k with the above list.

Here's what I faced:

Rd1: 2-1 vs. 12post: Winter Orb does the trick here, and Preeminent Captain is too fast a clock.
    Rd2: 2-1 vs. Lands(!): Despite losing G1 to Glacial Chasm lock and then Marit Lage kill, in G2 and G3 Rest in Peace and Winter Orb both pull their weight, along with Thalia 2.0.
    Rd3: 2-1 vs. Death'n'Taxes(!): Lost one game to a Sword of War and Peace but in the other two games guys like Fairgrounds Warden and Palace Jailer were amazing getting rid of his threats.
    Rd4: 0-2 vs. Infect: Could have won G1 if I had untapped City of Traitors under Winter Orb so I could play Recruiter of the Guard -> fetch Jailer -> flash Jailer in on his Blighted Agent, but alas, I didn't. Tough matchup, but winnable.
    Rd5: ID

Top8 Rd1: 2-1 vs. RW Painter: G1 he wins quickly with the combo, but in G2 and G3 I have copious hate (4 Damping Matrix, 3 Leonin Relic-Warder) that is too much for his deck to handle, along with the fast clock.
    Top8 Rd2: 0-2 vs. Shardless BUG: This was the roughest match of the day. He just hit all of his abrupt decays and Lilis and ancestral visions and even my Rest in Peace from the board wasn't enough.

The deck feels strong. I don't know if it's strong enough to make a run at a really large tournament, but I definitely felt in control for most of the day. I mostly only lost games due to misplays on my own part, and except for the Top8 match against BUG Shardless I felt like even the games I lost I just barely lost. I like the way the deck plays and it's fun and exciting to play.
    Grats on the finish. Where was the event at?

Quote Originally Posted by TMPWDobs View Post
    Grats on the finish. Where was the event at?
    Stomping Grounds Games in Hatboro, PA...

Stomping Grounds Games in Hatboro, PA...
    Nice few of my friends played in that event then others went to the 1k At TDG

Uping the thread a bit, as I recently picked the deck (MGB's list) for some games and found it impressive.
    I'm usually playing eldrazi decks (Stompy or Ramp), and Soldiers felt more resilient than those decks (when a little less explosive), dodged problematic MUs like Blodd Moon's decks or fast combo (Karakas, fast Thalia) and still well positioned when facing creatures decks or midrange things.
    Of course, my sample is small so far but I'll persevere to have a clearer idea if it's a good choice in the current meta.

I've been having quite a bit of success playtesting this list online (on xmage):

4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Fairgrounds Warden
    3 Ballyrush Banneret
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Daru Warchief
    3 Enlistment Officer
    1 Palace Jailer
    3 Captain of the Watch

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Winter Orb

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Horizon Canopy
    2 Karakas
    4 Snow-Covered Plains

SB:
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Palace Jailer
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Leonin Relic-Warder
    4 Damping Matrix

I think the way to make this deck really work is just to maximize the Thalia effect and mulligan nearly every hand until you have something that you can play on turn 1 = i.e. turn 1 chalice, turn 1 winter orb, turn 1 thalia (with a chrome mox), turn 1 preeminent captain...

The Fairgrounds Warden and Palace Jailers give you just enough removal that was missing before that you can out-tempo the fair decks through blockers. They are kind of blank against noncreature decks, of course, but Palace Jailer even can function as a pseudo-Enlistment Officer if they don't have creatures to attack back with.

If you can get one of the 12 main soldier threats in play early, you're usually pretty golden. Ballyrush Banneret is back in this deck over the flying soldiers because with 4 Fairgrounds Warden and 1 Palace Jailer MD, you have enough removal for Delver of Secrets that the flying guys aren't really needed as much. Ballyrush Banneret is very good at breaking Winter Orb symmetry too.
    Are you still playing the deck ?
    With the SDT ban, did you switch the Matrix for something more meta-relevant ? Winter Orb is still fine for you ?
    If found that the manabase hurts a lot sometimes, and although I can figure the advantages of Canopies, I'll cut them for Plains for the next games.
    Other than that, the other cards are always useful and the numbers are right. Nice job !

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15203&d=292262&f=LE

here's a list that finished 2nd in a 30 player tournament.
    i never tried the deck, but i like legacy stompies and this one looks funny

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDissent View Post
    Uping the thread a bit, as I recently picked the deck (MGB's list) for some games and found it impressive.
    I'm usually playing eldrazi decks (Stompy or Ramp), and Soldiers felt more resilient than those decks (when a little less explosive), dodged problematic MUs like Blodd Moon's decks or fast combo (Karakas, fast Thalia) and still well positioned when facing creatures decks or midrange things.
    Of course, my sample is small so far but I'll persevere to have a clearer idea if it's a good choice in the current meta.

Are you still playing the deck ?
    With the SDT ban, did you switch the Matrix for something more meta-relevant ? Winter Orb is still fine for you ?
    If found that the manabase hurts a lot sometimes, and although I can figure the advantages of Canopies, I'll cut them for Plains for the next games.
    Other than that, the other cards are always useful and the numbers are right. Nice job !
    I've been testing the Red splash build lately.

Magus of the Moon x 4 MD is even better now that Recruiter of the Guard has been printed. And Goblin Legionaire is still good and fetchable by Recruiter!

And instead of Captain of the Watch, R/W Soldiers gets access to Foundry Champion, which is an amazing way to finish off the opponent (often uncounterable damage to the face) when he least expects it and thinks he has stabilized with a Moat or something silly like that.

I'm testing alot in preparation for GP: Vegas which I'm attending and I'm trying to decide right now whether to play some variant of Soldiers or my Big Eldrazi / Legend MUD deck.

Hi MGB !

Thx for the answer. Glad to see we're on the same decks but no GP for me
    Due to the small sample size of my playtests, I'm inclined to think Soldiers is the better choice, as I wrecked Infect with it, Lands, had odds against Storm. Didn't played against BUG, Elves or Stoneblade yet and Reanimator felt meh though.

May I ask you to share your Boros list ? I understand if you want to keep the surprise for the GP, but I'm really intrigued by this new mixture, as the previous builds seemed already amazing.
    Foundry Champion sounds really interesting, but Captain of the Watch is such a game breaker and little know by the opponents, so they often let resolve Preeminent and regret it soon after.
    The cards don't deserve the same purposes I think.
    Magus must be a beast right now with all those greedy manabases.

@menph : thx for sharing. Tried this one, but prefer MGB's one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDissent View Post
    Hi MGB !

Thx for the answer. Glad to see we're on the same decks but no GP for me
    Due to the small sample size of my playtests, I'm inclined to think Soldiers is the better choice, as I wrecked Infect with it, Lands, had odds against Storm. Didn't played against BUG, Elves or Stoneblade yet and Reanimator felt meh though.

May I ask you to share your Boros list ? I understand if you want to keep the surprise for the GP, but I'm really intrigued by this new mixture, as the previous builds seemed already amazing.
    Foundry Champion sounds really interesting, but Captain of the Watch is such a game breaker and little know by the opponents, so they often let resolve Preeminent and regret it soon after.
    The cards don't deserve the same purposes I think.
    Magus must be a beast right now with all those greedy manabases.

@menph : thx for sharing. Tried this one, but prefer MGB's one.

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Plateau
    2 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Magus of the Moon

4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Enlistment Officer
    3 Daru Warchief
    3 Foundry Champion
    3 Goblin Legionnaire
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Palace Jailer

SB:
    4 Winter Orb
    4 Damping Matrix
    4 Rest in Peace
    2 Palace Jailer
    1 Ethersworn Canonist

Hey Soldiers,

I've been posting on the MTGsalvation forum for a while.

I've been playing Soldiers forever and put a lot of work into it. It's basically the only deck in Legacy I play continually.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 10 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Winter Orb

// 27 Creature
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Enlistment Officer
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    3 Palace Jailer
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Daru Warchief
    1 Hokori, Dust Drinker
    3 Protector of the Crown

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Suppression Field

// 19 Land
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Karakas
    6 Plains
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Damping Matrix
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Sanctum Prelate
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    SB: 1 Dawnbringer Charioteers
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Rest in Peace
    SB: 1 Gideon's Intervention=
    SB: 2 Holy Lighty
    SB: 2 Council's Judgment

I really like the list submitted earlier http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15203&d=292262&f=LE.

I'd probably replace Brimaz and Odrich with more Thalia, but the 4x Aerial Responder is cool. The 2/4 body on Charioteers is much much better in legacy though.
    I'm new to The Source so I don't know how to card tag.

I play aerial responder basically just to get around the draw back of ancient tomb against delver. Being a 2/3 sucks but warcheif fixes that, and the lifelink is very relevant.

Went 5-0 in a Legacy League on MTGO with the red Soldiers list.

I'm going to try some more Leagues and Challenges and see how well I can do with the deck. Seems well positioned right now against the metagame, tbh.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I'm going to try some more Leagues and Challenges and see how well I can do with the deck. Seems well positioned right now against the metagame, tbh.
    Same list as above?

Yes, if you list has been updated since your last post please share it.

I can't imagine playing Soldiers without Sfield, but I supposed Magus has a similar effect if not more powerful, and he is a tutor target, although much easier to get rid of. I will test this deck and see if I want to make changes. I have a feeling that I will definitely want to change your sideboard. It doesn't look like a finely tuned Legacy sideboard, but I'm good at these things so I'll see what I can. Goblin Legionnaire seems a bit weak, and I think Palace Jailer would be better. The card is such a powerhouse. Also, Legionairre is hard to cast for on turn 2 with that mana cost.

Suppression Field is a terrible card and I don't really see why people think otherwise. For me, the disruption has to have a permanent, meaningful effect. With SField, they can just play around it or later in the game pay the tax and be completely unaffected by it. Magus and Winter Orb have to be removed if the opponent wants to make use of his lands.

I just finished a Legacy Challenge today with the aforementioned list. I went 3-4, beating Storm, Burn, and Grixis Delver. I lost to FOUR Stoneblade variants. My configuration is apparently weak to Stoneforge Mystic -> Batterskull and TNN. :-( I'm cutting some of the Goblin Legionaires for more Palace Jailer and/or Fairgrounds Warden. If the MTGO meta is so rife with Stoneblade I might have to consider Tower of the Magistrate. And no, I've never found Suppresion Field to be all that great at dealing with Stoneforge Mystic because usually they just end up paying 4 mana for their Mystic and then you have to deal with Batterskull anyway, or they activate in response to you casting the Field.

I've been playing Soldier iwth Sfield for years, and the card is amazing in Legacy, anyways that says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. In my current list I play 4 Sfield 2 Winter Orb and 1 Hokori Dust Drinker maindeck. The stax effects add up with Thalias, Sfield and Winter orb to be a tremendous amount of disruption. Against tricolor decks with a lot of fetches, it can be mvp and carry you to victory, it's great vs DRS too. It WAS great vs Top, but Miracles had a lot of basics. It's also amazing vs lands and is almost essential for winning vs Death and Taxes. It's good vs Elves. The card is an all-star and I'm usually very happy to cast it. In the rare case I don't want to cast it I can pitch it to a Mox.

EDIT:
    Also, I'm wondering if Captain of the Watch or Boros Battleshaper are better fatties than Foundry Champion. The fact that Champion can be removal or a burn spell to the face is nice, but Battleshaper can also be continuous removal. Soltari Guerrillas is also a good option.

I wrote a bunch here but I refreshed page aciidentally and it's gone....
    Last edited by R3ndr0c; 07-03-2017 at 01:49 AM.

Welp, after top8ing the last Legacy Challenge with Eldrazi Ramp, I decided to give Boros Soldiers a spin again and today I just 5-0ed a Legacy League with it again.

The deck feels quite strong and I think it' stronger than the mono white version. Magus gives it an "I win" card that SField and WOrb really aren't...

The key to making this work for me was to remove some of the Goblin Legionaires for more Palace Jailers. Jailer is the best removal spell Soldiers have and you want at least 3 in the MD. So much card draw between Jailer and E-Officer!

4 Windswept Heath
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Plateau
    2 Karakas
    2 Plains
    2 City of Traitors

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void

4 Magus of the Moon

4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Enlistment Officer
    3 Daru Warchief
    2 Foundry Champion
    2 Goblin Legionnaire
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Palace Jailer

SB:
    4 Winter Orb
    4 Damping Matrix
    4 Rest in Peace
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Sanctum Prelate

Welp, after top8ing the last Legacy Challenge with Eldrazi Ramp, I decided to give Boros Soldiers a spin again and today I just 5-0ed a Legacy League with it again.
    Was that a competitive League? I recall that deck feeling much much worse than my mono white version when I tested it. I did modify it to make it better too, adding more Jailers and cutting all but 1 Legionnaire.

This is what I had come up with.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void

// 32 Creature
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Preeminent Captain
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Enlistment Officer
    3 Daru Warchief
    3 Foundry Champion
    1 Goblin Legionnaire
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Palace Jailer

// 20 Land
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Plateau
    1 Karakas
    2 Plains
    3 City of Traitors

// 15 Sideboard

SB: 3 Winter Orb
    SB: 1 Gideon's Intervention
    SB: 2 Damping Matrix
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Blessed Alliance
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    SB: 1 Sanctum Prelate
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Rest in Peace

Basically the same except -1 Legionnaire -1 Karakas +1 Foundry +1 City of Traitors and also my sideboard is more finely tuned

Thread Information