Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Spring Tide

Re: [Deck] Spring Tide

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies
    Sure, it can target nonred stuff, but it doesn't actually do anything to them if they aren't red. Free storm, sure, but...why not just play another draw spell?
    You seem to misunderstand the cards' function. Hydroblast wouldn't be played to up your storm count. Instead it would be sideboarded to fight red decks with a cheap counter/ removal spell. Unlike Blue Elemental Blast it's not dead when going off in case you don't have a target for BEB, e.g. in a match against straight burn.

Yeah, I can get Wishes I think, but it's the fetches that are a bitch to get. I am a standard player, and I am just hopping into legacy, and I wanted to play combo, and this looked like the cheapest one since it doesn't need duals, etc, and no-one will trade fetches for T2 cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujuhawk
    Yeah, I can get Wishes I think, but it's the fetches that are a bitch to get. I am a standard player, and I am just hopping into legacy, and I wanted to play combo, and this looked like the cheapest one since it doesn't need duals, etc, and no-one will trade fetches for T2 cards.
    Well, again, the fetches aren't vital to this deck's success, but not having them makes Brainstorm a lot less sexy. They also thin your deck, because if you draw too many lands while you're going off you will run out of steam and fizzle. And what type two cards are you offering them? I might consider trading fetches for the new duals if I decide to play Extended this season.

I don't have anymore trade stuff too, most of it is gone, since I quit and recfently came back. I don't have any duals, but I can get some.

I don't have anymore trade stuff too, most of it is gone, since I quit and recfently came back. I don't have any duals, but I can get some.

Has Portent been tested?

Like in Threshold, I think Portent is far superior than Sleight of Hand.
    If Portent was tested and excluded, what were the reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo
    Has Portent been tested?

Like in Threshold, I think Portent is far superior than Sleight of Hand.
    If Portent was tested and excluded, what were the reasons?
    Uhm doesn't give Portent the card the next turn, so it's dead when you're going off, well not completely dead, but it doesn't cantrip. So Sleight of hand is better in this deck, if I'm correct.

Wow this deck is still awesome. I won a mox ruby with this deck over the weekend. My changes were:
    MB changes:
    -4 force or will
    -1 meditate
    +4 muddle the mixture
    +1 brain freeze
    SB changes:
    -3Disrupt
    -1Mystical Tutor
    +4 force or will
    I am incredibly happy with the changes I have not lost a match to Gro yet in the last 3 tourneys.
    As reasons already stated I put in muddle the mixture because it tutors for: Snap, Cloud of Faeries, Ideas Unbound and the main deck brain freeze it also can tutor for the Defense Grid in the Gro match (key) and doubles as a counter.
    I put the force of will in board because I found it very lacking game one as you can basically race any deck in the format with out strong hate. After board force of will is your ace as it counters opposing hate without slowing you down.

Quote Originally Posted by subway-guy
    Wow this deck is still awesome. I won a mox ruby with this deck over the weekend. My changes were:
    MB changes:
    -4 force or will
    -1 meditate
    +4 muddle the mixture
    +1 brain freeze
    SB changes:
    -3Disrupt
    -1Mystical Tutor
    +4 force or will
    I am incredibly happy with the changes I have not lost a match to Gro yet in the last 3 tourneys.
    As reasons already stated I put in muddle the mixture because it tutors for: Snap, Cloud of Faeries, Ideas Unbound and the main deck brain freeze it also can tutor for the Defense Grid in the Gro match (key) and doubles as a counter.
    I put the force of will in board because I found it very lacking game one as you can basically race any deck in the format with out strong hate. After board force of will is your ace as it counters opposing hate without slowing you down.
    I was originally considering some Muddles, but the problems I have with it are the tutor ability on it doesn't increase storm count and it costs three mana. Although, one maindeck Brainfreeze reduces your reliance on Cunning Wish without cluttering up your deck...

I have never minded paying 3 mana for muddle as most of the time you will fetch snap to produce 3+ mana or find Cloud of Faeries for the snap in your hand.

The Anti-Christ
    Mar 2006
    Hell, Wisconsin.

I have been testing and loving this deck, but everyone keeps asking me why play this over Solidarity? They ask what match-ups is this better in than solidarity. I like it because it has more draw power better card selection and people other than deep6er are capable of playing it efficiently. Are there any better/worse matchups for spring tide over solidarity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rotten
    This thread makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a baseball bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living
    How can anyone claim to have a pair of testicles if they dont like Slayer?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dralnu
    I have been testing and loving this deck, but everyone keeps asking me why play this over Solidarity? They ask what match-ups is this better in than solidarity. I like it because it has more draw power better card selection and people other than deep6er are capable of playing it efficiently. Are there any better/worse matchups for spring tide over solidarity?
    Basically all your match ups increase because of Spring Tides speed and crazy tutoring power. The only match up that gets worse is solidarity wich is quite ironic.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dralnu
    deep6er is not the only person who can play Solidarity well. Actually, herbig is the only person who can play Solidarity well. deep6er is, however, the only person to have truly mastered Thunder Bluff.

Spring Tide is about a turn faster than Solidarity, which makes it better against fast decks that might win on turn 3-4 before Solidarity gets set up. Also, its stronger draw spells probably help against hand-disruption. Solidarity's instant speed makes it much better against control and hate cards (because it can go off in response to a Rule of Law instead of having to guess when it might come down.). Also, it has strategic superiority against other storm combo decks by "borrowing" the storm count.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by parallax
    Spring Tide is about a turn faster than Solidarity, which makes it better against fast decks that might win on turn 3-4 before Solidarity gets set up. Also, its stronger draw spells probably help against hand-disruption. Solidarity's instant speed makes it much better against control and hate cards (because it can go off in response to a Rule of Law instead of having to guess when it might come down.)
    Solidarity also naturally invalidates board control strategies, which Spring Tide doesn't necessarily do. A good player can usually play around instant speed removal playing Spring Tide, but Solidarity doesn't even have to worry about that, and it can occasionally become an issue.

Legacy Adept
    Aug 2004
    NYC

Snap does create a small vulnerability to removal, but at the same time, it offers md answers to Meddling Mages and the likes, a cute way to stall, and of course, leaves the deck with more untap effects than solidarity.
    "Whatever happens, happens."

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Worth noting that while there are more untap-effects, Clouds and Snaps only produce 2 mana. This creates few profound differences:
    -Spring Tide wants to go off early. It doesn't benefit of playing land-go like Solidarity as only Turnabout can untap all its lands, and costing 4, it's rarely enough all by itself. The flipside is that Spring Tide is also more equipped to go off early with Ideas Unbound acting as an incredible 2-mana card, and with multiple 2-costing untap-effects.
    -Spring Tide basically needs High Tide. Because its untappers only untap 2 lands, it can't just play land-go to make every one of its spells a nuclear bomb. Solidarity can play land-go vs. control to be able to generate incredible amounts of mana with any spell, and to be able to go off without High Tide. Spring Tide is at its strongest turn 2-3, blitzing under opponent's fundamental turn, Solidarity when it has lots of lands to win the game with a single Reset or Turnabout.

Rest has been said already, it has MD Mage-hate, but Mage usually will name Snap anyways as it's part of your combo-engine AND the card that can remove Mages. Spring Tide can lose to StP, Gempalm Incinerator or company occasionally (if pushed for time), making it a bit more vulnerable to creature-decks (since that's where it's likeliest to be pushed for time). And since Spring Tide can't go off at instant speed, it's far less tricky and worse against other combo.

I'm Jewish!
    Mar 2006
    Arlington, Virginia

Bumpage for the Spring Tide is necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Now, how can you be sure it's rape when there's no way to tell if a barnacle is consenting or not? For all we know it was actually two first time lesbian barnacles who signed a release for the footage to be used in the newest installment of Barnacles Gone Wild: Seafoam Splash.

Jan 2005
    home=Ohio school=Edinburgh girl=New Orleans

So I came across the idea the other day of playing candelabra fo tawnos in sorcery speed high tide, and wondered why that card is not played. It is another card that plays really well both on its own as well as making turnabout better if multiples are in play. Any reasons why this shouldn't be played.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Morim_Brightsmoke View Post
    So I came across the idea the other day of playing candelabra fo tawnos in sorcery speed high tide, and wondered why that card is not played. It is another card that plays really well both on its own as well as making turnabout better if multiples are in play. Any reasons why this shouldn't be played.
    1. Pithing Needle
    2. The Cloud of Faeries/Snap engine is better. I tested Candelabra some time ago, and it was just way more vulnerable and inconstistant than Cloud of Faeries.
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

Jan 2005
    home=Ohio school=Edinburgh girl=New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Preuss View Post
    1. Pithing Needle
    2. The Cloud of Faeries/Snap engine is better. I tested Candelabra some time ago, and it was just way more vulnerable and inconstistant than Cloud of Faeries.
    1. I can grant that assuming this is a massive switch of the ideal of the deck.

2. How is that conceivably possible at all. How can it be more vulnerable? It basically plays like a sorcery speed turnabout on your lands. Your opponent has no ability to respond with artifact destruction once it is in play before you activate it. You just activate before passing priority. The snap engine goes cast snap oh wait my creature just got swords.

I think before shooting this idea down you should better explain yourself.

Thread Information