View Full Version : [Card Idea] Take Down
Shawon
08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Here's a card idea I thought of. While the effect is similar to that of Reprisal, it was the card Snuff Out that made me think of making this card:
Take Down - 3W
Instant
If you control a Plains, you may have each other player gain 4 life rather than pay Take Down's mana cost.
Destroy target creature with power 4 or greater. It can't be regenerated.
What do you guys think?
Wallace
08-19-2008, 06:27 PM
ummm...that would suck.
SpatulaOfTheAges
08-19-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't think it would suck.
But it should be 2W.
Clark Kant
08-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Way to type out yet another well thought out post Wallace. :rolleyes:
It's a solid card no question. As far as legacy is concerned, I just dont see too many decks opting to run it over the most efficient removal spell in the history of magic (StP). It would definately see a crapload of play in every format that StP isn't legal in though.
Situationally, it can be better than Swords. People happily pay a W and have their opponents gain 5-6 life to take out a Tarmogoyf or Tombstalker. I've had my opponents gain 12 life to get rid of a Dreadnought on more than one occasion.
Not having to use up a mana or have your opponent gain quite as obscene amount of life to do that is pretty handy. For all intents and purposes, Snuff Out mainly sees play over Ghastly Demise because it's free. I still wouldn't replace StP for it though.
Well It dodges counterbalance and I like the reverse Snuff Out-ishness of the card, but I really couldn't see a card like that being run over Swords.
THEchubbymuffin
08-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Kind of off topic. Feel free to delete. But what if there was a blue one?
Temporary Silence
5U
Destroy target creature. (some sort of restriction)
If you control an island you may have target opponent draw x cards than pay Temporary Silence's mana cost. (x = 2 or 3?)
TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Can we just have one card creation thread for all of time instead of people constantly making new ones? Speculation on what cards they might make in a vacuum is fruitless, unless you just like making cards for the fun of it, which is fine, but not really Legacy relevant anyway. But at least we can keep it contained to one thread.
ParkerLewis
08-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Kind of off topic. Feel free to delete. But what if there was a blue one?
Temporary Silence
5U
Destroy target creature. (some sort of restriction)
If you control an island you may have target opponent draw x cards than pay Temporary Silence's mana cost. (x = 2 or 3?)
Hmm. How is that "Temporary" ? :tongue:
Wallace
08-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Way to type out yet another well thought out post Wallace. :rolleyes:
Is this better, this is a legacy forum and as far as legacy goes that card would be terrible. Whey would wizards print a card that is clearly intended to kill one creature? Yes I know it kills Tombstalker and Eternal Dragon, but thats really it, I mean Tarmogoyf is good but we don't need a card just for him. This card would see no play in any format other than Limited, so in conclusion:
ummm...that would suck.
Don't worry Clark, I will explain everything just for you from now on. Whenever I post I will make sure to add a longer, more informative version of my post just for you.
Maveric78f
08-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I give my vote to Wallace.
Legacy does not miss responses to goyf, it misses most of all cheap and versatile cards. That's why chain of vapor and rushing river can be played with success. That's why annul, remove soul (versatility), Jokullaups and Angel of Despair (cheapness) can't be played.
Clark Kant
08-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Wallace, I'm glad that you'll be typing up posts with more content in them from now on. Whatever the reason.
Free instant speed removal is aside from Snuff Out nonexistant, so yes, this card would see a crapload of play in block, standard and probably extended as well.
The card could even make it's way into the sideboards of some legacy decks in select metagames or even maindecked as a supplement to StP in some metas. Afterall, it does kill...
Sea Drake,
Dreadnought,
Arc Slogger,
most anything equipped with SOFI,
Jotun Grunt,
Exalted Angel,
Tarmogoyf,
Tombstalker,
Goblin Piledriver,
Mystic Enforcer,
Arcbound Ravager,
and just about any thing Giant Growthed or Rancored or pumped in any way.
Yes, StP is usually outright better in legacy. Does that mean this card is terrible, just because there is a more broken alternative.
Does Tarmogoyf replacing Werebear's everywhere suddenly mean that Wearbear is a terrible card?
Sanguine Voyeur
08-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I like it, especially with Cunning Wish.
Does Tarmogoyf replacing Werebear's everywhere suddenly mean that Wearbear is a terrible card?Not terrible, but not very good. Power of a card is relative. When stronger cards come out, the weaker ones are now worse.
Skeggi
08-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Off-topic: werebear still makes green mana, making your deck less moon-sensitive.
Wallace
08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Wallace, I'm glad that you'll be typing up posts with more content in them from now on. Whatever the reason.
The reason is simple, I'm at home not at work...
IDK, I think this thread are pointless, just like the 2 or 3 or threads that pop up every week with the same shot, "Look at this card that will never be printed.!!!!!111one1!" I mean we have a thread already devoted to player created cards (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10294), post there.
(not trying to back seat mod but I had to say it)
Clark Kant
08-20-2008, 02:40 PM
IDK, I think this thread are pointless, just like the 2 or 3 or threads that pop up every week with the same shot, "Look at this card that will never be printed.!!!!!111one1!" I mean we have a thread already devoted to player created cards (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10294), post there.
(not trying to back seat mod but I had to say it)
I wholeheartedly endorse that.
I mean, it's a theoretical discussion about a theoretical card that (atleast in theory) wouldn't have a signifcant impact on the format even if it saw print.
Don't see the point, really.
Shawon
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
The reason is simple, I'm at home not at work...
IDK, I think this thread are pointless, just like the 2 or 3 or threads that pop up every week with the same shot, "Look at this card that will never be printed.!!!!!111one1!" I mean we have a thread already devoted to player created cards (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10294), post there.
(not trying to back seat mod but I had to say it)
WHY...SO...SERIOUS???
Looks like someone's wearing 'the wrong trousers' today...[/corny]
If there's a cumulative thread for card creations, please redirect me to it, rather than get your panties, or trousers, in a bunch. I didn't want to look for the 'right thread' to post card ideas, so I opted to just post my idea and hope that someone would correct me and tell me which thread to post in. Alas...
I don't really look into Legacy 'Other Legacy Discussion' so it's not like I'm hopping onto anyone's bandwagon.
I was thinking about a card while I was daydreaming, and I thought I'd share it.
Wallace
08-20-2008, 03:18 PM
thread already devoted to player created cards (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10294)
Thats what he blue text is for, click on it.
freakish777
08-20-2008, 03:36 PM
you may have each other player gain 4 life rather
^____^
This part alone makes me want to see it printed. It makes your Kavu Predator huge in multiplayer while removing a blocker.
Clark Kant
08-20-2008, 03:39 PM
You already have Invigorate and StP to pump up Kavu Predator. I suppose this helps too.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.