PDA

View Full Version : Magic Total Rating



Mulletus
12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know how this is calculated exactly, or is there a link where I can find out myself?

Also does anyone know if this will help you at all for byes?

cdr
12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Old thread: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11670

It's calculated just like every other rating, just taking every single non-multiplayer match in order. For a few reasons, Total is higher than other ratings for most people.

Total *will* count for GP byes, PT invites, etc in 2009 but the thresholds for GP byes have yet to be established (as far as I know). The thresholds are supposed to be announced by 1/1/09 (tomorrow).

PEIP 2009: http://www.wizards.com/dci/downloads/MTG_PEIP-09_08Oct24_EN.pdf

Edit: Byes for Total announced as 1850 / 1950 / 2050.

goobafish
12-31-2008, 03:36 PM
What about nationals, will that also use total rating?

cdr
12-31-2008, 03:41 PM
That's the "etc" - it's all in the PEIP.

Nationals is top 20, 35, 75, or 100 Total (depending on national player base) plus top 20, 35, 75, or 100 Composite.

In 2010, all events will switch to Total-only.

Mulletus
01-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I was just checking it out, and one of Syracuse's own is number 2 in the world, Jamie Parke. He moved to New York it appears, but I am undefeated against him. It was back in '02; I beat Rich Bourque (onlyone), Alex Artese (monkey), and Jamie all in the same sealed deck event.
Unfortunately my total rating is not higher than all of my other ratings, poo.

cdr
01-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Getting 2nd at Worlds will tend to be good for your rating.

I used to draft with Jamie all the time too, it's great seeing him do so well. I am undefeated vs him at GPs, though.