PDA

View Full Version : [Peasant]Psychatog

Benie Bederios
04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi,

Normally I post quite some information about my decks, but this time a) I don't really have time for it b) the deck doesn't need much explaining.

The reason I don't have time is that the peasant tournament is scheduled friday and want some critique before that...

Anyway here is the list:

4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 Plains
3 Swamp
3 Island

2 Psychatog

3 Diabolic Edict
4 Lotus Petal
3 Disenchant
3 Deep Analysis
4 Accumulated Knowledge
3 Force of Will
4 Ghastly Demise
4 Brainstorm
4 Daze
4 Gush
4 Counterspell

Well anyway the uncommons are Psychatog and Force of Will. I just tested it a couple of time and it played quite well. I really don't know if I need Disenchant or that Echoing Truth will be enough.

The deck idea is pretty straight forward. Try to keep control as long as possible and win of a Psychatog who normally wins with one swing...

I did tested another build with Dredge creatures to get a fast tog very fast. For this I had to up Psychatog to 4 and add a Golgari Thug to get it back. This worked kinda clunky so I decided on this list.

Anyway if some people could give some comment on the deck, it would be nice.

Benie

Shawn
04-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Is you list missing lands? I keep counting it and it doesn't add up to 60.

Depending on what cards your playgroup has banned I would recommend playing Sol Ring Affinity or Tendrils combo. These decks are nuts if you use the default banned list:http://www.geocities.com/peasantmagic/rules.htm
Here's a Yahoo group that discusses (somewhat infrequently) peasant magic. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/peasantmagic/ It also has a bunch of decklists.

There is a place in France that plays peasant regularly, and they banned the UN sets, Sol Ring, Strip Mine, Frantic Search, Skullclamp, Tendrils of Agony, and all 6 artifact lands.

I've played a bit of psychatog and this is what my list usually looked like:

4 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Swamp
14 Island

3 Tog
2 Alternate win condition? (I think I tried the 4/4 flyer for 3U with Cumulative upkeep 1 from Ice Age, and it was ok.)

4 Brainstorm
4 Mental Note
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Ghastly Demise/Diabolic Edict
2 Mystical Teachings
2 Fact or Fiction
4 Counterspell
2 Evincar's Justice
4 Force Spike
2 Mana Leak

Sideboard
4 Blue Elemental Blast
4 Duress
3 Tormod's Crypt/Cremate
4 other cards

It's not very good against Sol Ring affinity, if that deck is legal where you play. It's solid against pretty much anything else, though. I tried dredge atog with cards like Tolarian Winds and Fling, but it was vulnerable to removal and the three color manabase sucked.

I'm also currently testing a UG tempo threshhold deck with Stripe Mine as four of the uncommons, and a RG 32land.dec. It utilizes Tilling Treefolk (1/3 2G When he comes into play, return two lands from your graveyard to your hand), Strip Mine, Crop Rotation, cycling lands and Eternal Witness. In my limited testing it's been solid against aggro and control, but it can't beat Consultation Tendrils. Game one against affinity is iffy, unless you answer their guys and go crazy with Strip Mines and have a clock to back them up. Games two and three are much better due to 4x Ancient Grudge and 3-4 Naturalize, but Atog is really annoying.

URABAHN
04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Scratch 'Tog, you want to play Solidarity with Framed! from Unhinged.

Benie Bederios
04-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Scratch 'Tog, you want to play Solidarity with Framed! from Unhinged.

It would be fun... But I don't think I can get three Framed! before tomorrow

Is you list missing lands? I keep counting it and it doesn't add up to 60.

Depending on what cards your playgroup has banned I would recommend playing Sol Ring Affinity or Tendrils combo. These decks are nuts if you use the default banned list:http://www.geocities.com/peasantmagic/rules.htm
Here's a Yahoo group that discusses (somewhat infrequently) peasant magic. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/peasantmagic/ It also has a bunch of decklists.

There is a place in France that plays peasant regularly, and they banned the UN sets, Sol Ring, Strip Mine, Frantic Search, Skullclamp, Tendrils of Agony, and all 6 artifact lands.

I've played a bit of psychatog and this is what my list usually looked like:

4 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Swamp
14 Island

3 Tog
2 Alternate win condition? (I think I tried the 4/4 flyer for 3U with Cumulative upkeep 1 from Ice Age, and it was ok.)

4 Brainstorm
4 Mental Note
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Ghastly Demise/Diabolic Edict
2 Mystical Teachings
2 Fact or Fiction
4 Counterspell
2 Evincar's Justice
4 Force Spike
2 Mana Leak

Sideboard
4 Blue Elemental Blast
4 Duress
3 Tormod's Crypt/Cremate
4 other cards

It's not very good against Sol Ring affinity, if that deck is legal where you play. It's solid against pretty much anything else, though. I tried dredge atog with cards like Tolarian Winds and Fling, but it was vulnerable to removal and the three color manabase sucked.

I'm also currently testing a UG tempo threshhold deck with Stripe Mine as four of the uncommons, and a RG 32land.dec. It utilizes Tilling Treefolk (1/3 2G When he comes into play, return two lands from your graveyard to your hand), Strip Mine, Crop Rotation, cycling lands and Eternal Witness. In my limited testing it's been solid against aggro and control, but it can't beat Consultation Tendrils. Game one against affinity is iffy, unless you answer their guys and go crazy with Strip Mines and have a clock to back them up. Games two and three are much better due to 4x Ancient Grudge and 3-4 Naturalize, but Atog is really annoying.

I thought Strip Mine was banned in Peasant...

I never thought of Afinity, could you give me a list. I don't think I can get enough Sol Ring's though. I won't play Storm, this format should be fun.

My list missed some cards you're right... This is my new list with SB.

10 Island
5 Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse

3 Psychatog

4 Accumulated Knowledge
3 Ghastly Demise
3 Gush
4 Counterspell
4 Force Spike
1 Defy Gravity
3 Mana Leak
4 Brainstorm
1 Deep Analysis
4 Diabolic Edict
3 Mental Note
2 Fact or Fiction

//SIDEBOARD
3 Echoing Truth
4 Mesmeric Fiend
4 Duress
4 Blue Elemental Blast

BB

Shawn
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
I thought Strip Mine was banned in Peasant...

I never thought of Afinity, could you give me a list. I don't think I can get enough Sol Ring's though. I won't play Storm, this format should be fun.

Strip Mine counts as an uncommon on the official page, but some people have decided to ban it in their playgroup. Here are some affinity top eight lists from a 23 man French tournament in March of last year:

1 - Patrice Hello - Affinity
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Great Furnace
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Seat of the Synod
4Ornithopter
4 Disciple of the Vault
4 Atog
4 Frogmite
3 Somber Hoverguard
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Cranial Plating
4 Thoughtcast
3 Chromatic Star
4 Springleaf Drum
2 Fling

Sideboard
3 Krark-Clan Shaman
4 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Flaring Pain
2 Echoing Truth
2 Red Elemental Blast
1 Hurkyl's Recall (U)

2 - Benjamin Marquer - Affinity

// Lands
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Great Furnace
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Seat of the Synod
2 Tree of Tales

// Creatures
4 Ornithopter
4 Disciple of the Vault
3 Atog
4 Frogmite
3 Somber Hoverguard
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Arcbound Worker

// Spells
4 Cranial Plating
4 Thoughtcast
4 Chromatic Star
4 Springleaf Drum

// Sideboard
2 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Pyroclasm (U)
3 Pyroblast
1 Hydroblast
4 Ancient Grudge
2 Cabal Therapy (U)

3 - Damien Dupland - Affinity

// Lands
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Great Furnace
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Seat of the Synod

// Creatures
4 Ornithopter
4 Disciple of the Vault
3 Atog
4 Frogmite
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Arcbound Worker

// Spells
4 Cranial Plating
4 Thoughtcast
4 Chromatic Star
4 Springleaf Drum
3 Fling
2 Demonic Tutor (U)

// Sideboard
4 Blue Elemental Blast
4 Red Elemental Blast
1 Hurkyl's Recall (U)
1 Pyroclasm (U)
2 Disenchant
3 Ancient Grudge

There was also two other affinity decks in that top 8. They already banned Sol Ring before this tournament.

Benie Bederios
04-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Hi,

Well I couldn't get all the cards for my deck before the tournament( Gush and Duress) so didn't play in it. I did finish my deck and started testing... After testing I came up with this version.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
10 [GUR] Island
5 [GUR] Swamp
2 [RAV] Dimir Aqueduct
4 [TSP] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
3 [OD] Psychatog

// Spells
4 [NE] Accumulated Knowledge
3 [OD] Ghastly Demise
3 [MM] Gush
4 [IA] Counterspell
4 [LG] Force Spike
2 [SH] Mana Leak
4 [IA] Brainstorm
1 [TO] Deep Analysis
4 [TE] Diabolic Edict
3 [JU] Mental Note
1 [IN] Fact or Fiction
1 [R] Demonic Tutor
1 [TE] Evincar's Justice
1 [TE] Shadow Rift

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [DS] Echoing Truth
SB: 4 [TO] Mesmeric Fiend
SB: 4 [US] Duress
SB: 4 [R] Blue Elemental Blast

Adding Demonic Tutor to the Maindeck instead of a Fact or Fiction is golden. It makes sure I get My Psychatog on time, finds Evincar's Justice and Shadow Rift.

I chose Shadow Rift over Defy Gravity for testing purposes only. Evincar's Justice MD was a must to beat fast decks like Elves and Goblins.

The only thing I'm not sure is the ratio between Mana Leak and Ghastly Demise. It might be better to play 3 Leak and only 2 Ghastly Demise. But testing will tell.

Anyway, my Sideboard needs some work, I probably need an out against Afinity and Maze of Ith. With Demonic Tutor in I could play some 2 or 3 off's and still find them easily. I was thinking of playing Mystical Teaching instead of Demonic Tutor and add an Rebuild in the SB, but finding Evincar's Justice is just to good.

BB