PDA

View Full Version : aether vial + declare blockers = priority??



whosyourdaddy
05-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Ok, there's the situation:

It's turn 2. My opp attacs with goblin lackey. He has 2 untapped lands(huh).

I've got a vial@1. I vial in a cursecatcher as the attackers are declared.

Question:
Does my opponent get the priority to gempalm incinerator my cursecatcher before I declare him as a blocker and thus hit me? (ok, I know this might be stupid, question, but I'll appreciate some help, as obviously, it might change the game 'a little';))

cheers

demoncrovax
05-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes your opponent does get the chance to play spells and abilities before you can block with it.

Malchar
05-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Demoncrovax is correct. Just think of it this way: The creature from Aether Vial doesn't come into play already blocking something. Mishra's Factory and other lands like that also suffer from the same weakness.

whosyourdaddy
05-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Yeayh, right. That's what I thought anyway. Just wanned to make 100% sure (as I was the Merfolk player and my opp got t2 gang-bang commander ;p)

Valtrix
05-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Yep. Whenever a spell or ability resolves you then gain priorirty right away to play another spell or ability (in that same phase). Then your opponent gains priority to do the same.

So in this situation you activate vial in the step after declaring attackers, but before you move to declaring blockers. So, vial resolves with you putting cursecatcher into play. Then you get priority to play abilities or instants, then your opponent gets the same. Only after you both pass priority do you get to move into the delare defenders step.