View Full Version : dismantling blow targetting aura of silence
pi4meterftw
05-10-2009, 10:48 PM
At a local tournament, I recently had my aura of silence dismantled with kicker, and I almost sacced it in response targetting itself. If I did, I was told that the blow would still draw cards. What ruling is responsible for this when analogous results do not occur for cards like electrolyze?
EDIT: or repulse? The relevant fact is that all targets vanished before the spell resolved.
413.2a. If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether the targets are still legal. A target that's moved out of the zone it was in when it was targeted is illegal. Other changes to the game state may cause a target to no longer be legal; for example, its characteristics may have changed or an effect may have changed the text of the spell. If the source of an ability has left the zone it was in, its last known information is used during this process. The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word "target," are now illegal. If the spell or ability is not countered, it will resolve normally, affecting only the targets that are still legal. If a target is illegal, the spell or ability can't perform any actions on it or make the target perform any actions.
Example: Aura Blast is a white instant that reads, "Destroy target enchantment. Draw a card." If the enchantment isn't a legal target during Aura Blast's resolution (say, if it has gained protection from white or left play), then Aura Blast is countered. Its controller doesn't draw a card.
Example: Plague Spores reads, "Destroy target nonblack creature and target land. They can't be regenerated." Suppose the same animated land is chosen both as the nonblack creature and as the land, and the color of the creature land is changed to black before Plague Spores resolves. Plagues Spores isn't countered because the black creature land is still a legal target for the "target land" part of the spell.
pi4meterftw
05-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Wait, so the judge gave a bad ruling? What would be the advisable thing to do next time if I'm reasonably sure I'm right and the judge gives a ruling against my understanding? This cost me the game and match actually since I only forced the dismantling blow because I couldn't counter the whole thing by saccing the aura.
Politely point the rule out to the judge.
If during a ruling in a match you think the judge is wrong, calmly, politely, and logically make your case, but do accept that the head judge's ruling is final.
Malchar
05-11-2009, 01:12 AM
I do not think that you can sacrifice aura of silence and target the same aura of silence though.
Tha Gunslinga
05-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Wasteland can target itself; is this any different?
pi4meterftw
05-11-2009, 04:32 AM
If the judge who gave the bad ruling is on the source, I'd like to talk to you. Please PM me.
Anusien
05-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Wasteland can target itself; is this any different?
No.
TrialByFire
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Choose targets before paying costs.
Malchar
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Nevermind, you all are correct.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.