PDA

View Full Version : [Peasant/Pauper] Affinity

Waya
05-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Format Rules: Up to 5 uncommons. No rares. Legacy Banned List.

Deck:

Land: 19
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Great Furnace
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Island

Creatures: 18
4 Frogmite
4 Myr Enforcer
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 Disciple of the Vault
2 Atog (uncommon)

Artifacts: 14
2 Aether Spellbomb
3 Pyrite Spellbomb
3 Chromatic Sphere
2 Welding Jar
4 Cranial Plating

Spells: 9
3 Shrapnel Blast (uncommon)
3 Thoughtcast
3 Fling

B is for Big Job
05-13-2009, 02:27 AM
the only thing i would say would be to drop the walkers. make 3 of them into ornithopters because flying is real good. the other one should be another atog because multiples of those make blocking assignments harder and its just a superior creature to walker

badjuju
05-13-2009, 02:51 AM
I would run more off-color artifact lands before I start running basics. Up the Chromatic Sphere / Thoughtcast count too (over AEther Spellbomb). I agree with the above post as well: up Atog count, the guy is a beast, and drop walker for thopters and/or Arcbound Workers probably.

You could also consider running more Islands I guess and running Somber Hoverguard / Qumulox. Just an idea.

4eak
05-13-2009, 02:58 AM
I'm not sure what rules you use for peasant, I try to use these:

http://www.geocities.com/peasantmagic/

If a card is listed with two different rarities in two different editions, use the most common rating for calculating rarity. For example, Wyluli Wolf is Rare in Fifth Edition, but Common in Arabian Nights. For Peasant Master tourneys, Wyluli Wolf is Common.

This means Atog and Ornithopter are playable as commons in my playgroup.

This list has done very well for us:

// Lands
4 [MR] Great Furnace
4 [MR] Seat of the Synod
4 [MR] Vault of Whispers
3 [LRW] Shimmering Grotto
3 [DS] Darksteel Citadel

// Creatures
4 [DS] Arcbound Worker
4 [MR] Frogmite
4 [MR] Myr Enforcer
4 [AQ] Atog
4 [MR] Disciple of the Vault
3 [AQ] Ornithopter

// Spells
4 [MR] Thoughtcast
4 [FD] Cranial Plating
4 [LRW] Springleaf Drum
4 [MR] Shrapnel Blast
3 [TSP] Chromatic Star

peace,
4eak

URABAHN
05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure what rules you use for peasant, I try to use these:

http://www.geocities.com/peasantmagic/

That's what I know as Peasant Magic aka PEZ. Waya, it's too bad wherever you're playing is doing a Legacy B&R. No Unhinged, no Skullclamp, no Strip Mine means that Coffer King is probably going to dominate that format. You don't need our help to build a sub-par Affinity deck in a sub-par format. That being said, I would love to know why you think it's optimal to run 1 Swamp, 1 Mountain, 1 Island in Affinity. I'm also not sure why you wouldn't run 4 Atog since it was printed as a Common in Revised. That card shouldn't count as Uncommon unless your game store is using some weird PEZ rules.

gamegeek2
05-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Isn't Cranial Plating banned in Pauper (or at least online Pauper)?

URABAHN
05-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Isn't Cranial Plating banned in Pauper (or at least online Pauper)?

This is where people get confused when you don't call the format by the correct name.

Pauper = ALL COMMONS

Peasant aka PEZ = Up to 5 UNCOMMONS, the rest COMMON

raestlyn
05-14-2009, 06:10 AM
This is where people get confused when you don't call the format by the correct name.

Pauper = ALL COMMONS

Peasant aka PEZ = Up to 5 UNCOMMONS, the rest COMMON
yep, and that doesn't mean there is no banned/restricted lists:

2.4 Is there a banned or a restricted list in PDC?
Yes. Cranial Plating is banned and Artifact Lands (Ancient Den, Great Furnace, Seat of the Synod, Tree of Tales, Vault of Whispers, Darksteel Citadel) are restricted to one of each.
This is to weaken artifact Affinity decks, which are metagame-warping according to some, while allowing one of each Artifact Land to be used by decks that can find a use of them. On top of these PDC-only restrictions, any MTGO-wide restrictions apply in the relevant format. For example, Mystical Teachings is banned in PDC Prismatic.

And in Peasant, here is a great decklist for you:
// Lands
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Great Furnace
3 Vault of Whispers

// Creatures
4 Ornithopter
4 Arcbound Worker
4 Disciple of the Vault
3 Atog
4 Frogmite
3 Somber Hoverguard
4 Myr Enforcer

// Spells
4 Cranial Plating
4 Thoughtcast
4 Sol Ring
4 Chromatic Star
3 Chromatic Sphere

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Pyroblast
SB: 3 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 4 Krark-Clan Shaman
SB: 4 Shattering Pulse

URABAHN
05-14-2009, 08:42 AM
yep, and that doesn't mean there is no banned/restricted lists:

In Waya's first post, you'll see he's talking about PEZ, the B&R List for Pauper isn't relevant to this discussion. Congratulations! You've pointed out the B&R for something that doesn't even matter. Shall we bring up the Vintage B&R list, too?

raestlyn
05-14-2009, 06:07 PM
In Waya's first post, you'll see he's talking about PEZ, the B&R List for Pauper isn't relevant to this discussion. Congratulations! You've pointed out the B&R for something that doesn't even matter. Shall we bring up the Vintage B&R list, too?
Sure, why not.

That they are using the Legacy Banned list shouldn't affect the fact that there is certain rules how these 2 formats are usually played. You can't just dismiss the fact that there are serious tournaments held in these formats all over the world. If we are calling the format by their "official" names why don't we use the rules the format usually has? In PEZ, there is also a banned list:

Uncommon cards include any card that was EVER published as an Uncommon, or as a U1, U2, U3 (or higher). Again, technically U1 is Rare, but not in Peasant Magic.

* Exceptions: The Banned List. The following cards have been banned by the Peasant Council because they require Lordly resources to acquire, and are beyond the spirit of the game: Ali From Cairo, Bazaar of Baghdad, Berserk, Candelabra of Tawnos, Diamond Valley, Juzam Djinn, Library of Alexandria, Mana Drain, Mishra’s Workshop.
* Exception: Brain Freeze is also banned, because it is horribly broken and it was on the verge of ruining all of our fun, also by order of the Council.
* Exception: Jeweled Bird, Timmerian Fiends, and Bronze Tablet are banned because Peasant format does not use ante, and these cards require the use of ante rules.
* You may have no more than five (5) uncommon cards. In Peasant Magic Tourneys that permit Sideboarding, these cards may be present either in the deck or in the sideboard.
If the format has a banned list why you shouln't abuse the cards that are not in it?
For example if you have that kind of format why you are building crappy affinity when you can make insane blue storm deck?

Engine:
4 x High Tide
4 x Snap
4 x Cloud of Faeries
2 x Capsize

Search:
4 x Brainstorm
4 x Sleight of Hand
4 x Merchant Scroll

Card Drawing:
4 x Accumulated Knowledge
3 x Idea's Unbound
3 x Candelabra of Tawnos (uncommon)

Disruption:
4 x Disrupt

The kill:
2 x Brain Freeze (uncommon)

Lands:
18 x Island

Sideboard:
4 x Power Sink
4 x Snap
3 x Blue Elemental Blast
3 x Hydroblast
1 x Capsize

That will beat the hell out of anything you will come across. You will have nice combo with Capsize - Candelabra that will generate infinite mana and enough draw to outdraw your opponent. You should be able to make turn 3-4 kills more than 70% of the time. Thats much better than semi-working Affinity builld. Not bad for bunch of commons?

Otter
05-22-2009, 06:17 PM
* Exception: Brain Freeze is also banned, because it is horribly broken and it was on the verge of ruining all of our fun, also by order of the Council.

The kill:
2 x Brain Freeze (uncommon)

lolwut?

Not too hard to fix though, you could probably get away with 1x SSG and 1x Grapeshot in most situations. That even gives you 2 more slots for uncommons, so you could play 2x FoW.

raestlyn
05-23-2009, 04:26 AM
lolwut?

Not too hard to fix though, you could probably get away with 1x SSG and 1x Grapeshot in most situations. That even gives you 2 more slots for uncommons, so you could play 2x FoW. Damn, I did misread the card rarity. Oh well. That deck was based on Legacy banned list, so running Brainfreezes is ok.

johanessen
05-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Also you used Candelabra of Tawnos.

raestlyn
05-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Candelabra is U1 that isn't banned on legacy, so why not?

gamegeek2
06-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I checked the WotC banned list for Pauper, there's no restrictions, only Plating is banned.