PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Heavenly Hash



(nameless one)
05-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Hello to all,

In my search for the next tribal deck, I've come across a new deck idea. Well, it is not really new but more of an attempt to bring back an old archetype: Parfait. (note that this has nothing to do with tribal)

Parfait usually runs the following engine: Land Tax + Scroll Rack. Using this engine, Parfait decks can filter 'silver bullets' to be used until the opposing deck is nullified. Then from there, Parfait picks up for the win.

Sounds awesome, but Parfait decks face one problem: Land Tax is banned in Legacy.

I personally havent played Parfait but I would love to relive those days. Anyways, here is a rough mock-up of a new Parfait deck that I envision:

Heavenly Hash

18 Snow-Covered Plains
2 Scrying Sheets

4 Weathered Wayfarer
3 Mother of Runes
3 Devoted Caretaker
3 Soltari Priest
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 True Believer

3 Scroll Rack
3 Isochron Scepter
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Winter Orb
2 Painter's Servant
1 Grindstone

3 Orim's Chant
3 Path to Exile
2 Enlightened Tutor
2 Tithe

As you can see, the core creatures are clerics (this deck did started as a cleric tribal deck)

The main engine is Weathered Wayfarer (as Land Tax substitute) + Scroll Rack. Mother of Runes and Devoted Caretaker are there to protect the engine

Scrying Sheet can help out with card advantage, especially with snow lands

Soltari Priest + Swords of F&I is there to add more card advantage as well as a fine weenie beater

Ethersworn Canonist and True Believe are there as 'silver bullets', although I am pretty sure that there are better answers (thats why I'm seeking help)

Isochron Spected is there to prove a lock with Orim's Chant, have a permanent means of removal with Path to Exile, and pseudo-Land Tax with Tithe on it.

Enlightened Tutor is there to fetch needed artifacts

Winter Orb is there to provide a soft-land lock (might work well with Weathered Wayfarer and Tithe)

Painter's Servant and Grindstone is there as alternative win-con and fetchable with Enlightened Tutor.


I am very certain that this version is really rough (Im talking about 1800's road rough). This is the reason why I came here to ask for help.

As for the deck's 'silver bullets', im not really Legacy Exposed, so I wouldnt really know which cards should I watch against (other than Tarmogoyf)

One of my buddies told me to try to run Solitary Confinement and other Enchantments that could help (like Wheel of SAM, Runed Halo, Ghostly Prison). Still have no clue how I would stucture this deck.

If anyone of the great minds out there want to help, please feel free to help. Im pretty sure this deck can do good with all youre help.

PS. Death and Taxes has a different gameplan compared to this deck. Death and Taxes appears to follow a Stax-esque build. This deck idea follows a different suit.

DireLemming
05-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I take it you don't know about Quinn?

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6188

eq.firemind
05-19-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11391&highlight=parfait+beatdown
This can be interesting for you.

hi-val
05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Good God, pick a descriptive name. Wayfarer Weenie, Wayfarer Tax, Rack Weenie or anything else is more descriptive.

On a more practical note, you have a lot of 2-ofs that scream "my deck has an identity crisis!"

(nameless one)
05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
The name Heavenly Hash is a reference to Parfait...

well, theyre both frozen cream (food-wise). Plus the fact i'm using clerics (white clerics are holy like that)

theres a lot of 2-ofs because that is the basic structure of Parfait decks. Parfait decks have lots of 1 or 2-of of certain answers (like Ghost Prison or Runed Halo). It is effective in Parfait decks because you can keep filtering your hand with Land Tax and Scroll Rack engine.

Since Land Tax is banned in Legacy format, I am looking for substitutes so I can run a Parfait-esque build.

hjalte
05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
You really need 4 scroll racks. If you want to rely on using it, to filter your draws, then you need to hit one early, and without any other form of card draw or filtering, you need to max it out.
I also don't understand why you aren't running 4 mox diamond. They seem like they would be a perfect fit.

Another thing. The strength of the old Land Tax, Scroll Rack Parfait deck was, that you did not run any creatures, so that you could use Wrath of God to clear the board. You barely run any form of creature removal, and your own creatures suck in combat, which is why the current approach looks very inferior to my eyes.

From my point of view you can choose two directions for the deck. Either the Wayfarer direction or the Scepter + Tithe direction, not both, as they should give quite different decks. I think it is bad to have both, as you waste an awful lot of slots to your engine, and the two Tithe don't do much, unless you have a Scepter to imprint it on.

If you choose to run wayfarer, then why not run Wasteland, Kor Haven, Mishra's Factory and other utility lands when you have the possibility to fetch them? Only fetching plains and Scrying Sheets with Wayfarer seems worse. Then you should probably have more like a midrange aggro-control deck.

If, on the other hand, you need to play 4 scepter, tithe and probably also 4 enlightened tutor, and then without any creatures at all. This would probably look more like a traditional Parfait deck.


One thing is sure though, you need to have more bombs in your list, something like Runed Halo, Wrath of God, Story Circle, Solitary Confinement or whatever you want.

THEchubbymuffin
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
The name Heavenly Hash is a reference to Parfait... well, theyre both frozen cream (food-wise).


I did not make that connection. I merely thought hash was a reference to the drug. On a side note there should probably be a wasteland or maze of ith. Some sort of land to get with wayfarer when in trouble.

Dark_Cynic87
05-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Fetchlands + Crucible/LftL with Scroll Rack looks to be a new way to do it. Not as powerful as Land Tax, but it would work. This is basically the same as brainstorm, fetch, top strategy only on a higher level. Strictly worse, but an idea. However, paired with Exploration, it could be a bit better, however more painful, and now I'm building around the idea so I'm gonna stop typing... . .

Pce,

--DC

(nameless one)
05-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Heavenly Hash is an icecream flavor...

I was actually thinking of scepter/tithe idea. We could ditch the whole cleric idea. I'll start developing it under that built. No more creature, just need to protect the synergy. Maybe run MS Paint combo for win con?

I'm planning on keeping the deck mono white but if it helps, it helps. Speaking of help, which exact white bombs should I run? I know the original parfait ran Balance. Should I run Balancing Act?

PS. The links posted above are actually okay but I believe that this is a whole new approach.

hjalte
05-22-2009, 02:18 AM
4 isochron scepter, 4 scroll rack and 4 tithe is a must, so you can get your engine working, as well as 4 mox diamond to ensure you have mana without too many lands, which is actually the problem! You need a shitload of mana to get your engine running, because you need 2 mana for the scepter activation.

Regarding the bombs, you should definitely run 3 wrath of god to clear the board, so you have time to set up. When you run 4 scepters, 4 orim's chant seem like a good choice. 3 or 4 enlightened tutor should also be mandatory. Moat would be nice. It stops many decks, right there. Solitary confinement also seems nice. Runed halo works wonders, I love them.

I think I would try something like this:


19 plains
4 mox diamond

4 Scroll rack
4 Tithe
4 Isochron scepter
4 enlightened tutor

4 Orim's chant
4 swords to plowshares/path to exile
3 Wrath of god
2 runed halo
1 moat
1 solitary confinement
1 zuran orb

2 goblin charbelcher
3 eternal dragon

It looks somewhat like Quinn. The biggest problem with the deck, is the engine. It requires that you have less land than your opponent, while it requires that you have a shitload of mana, which is really counterproductive.

EDIT: I do not think you should run the Painter-Stone combo. It takes to much space. You already thin your deck for land, so use goblin charbelcher. It uses less space, and fits with the rest of the deck. Eternal dragons is also perfect. It's hard to deal with and fetches land in the early game

Finn
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
This deck is going to need mountains of testing against actual good decks with capable opponents. The card choices you have made for the moment are all over the place, so if you are interested in making a competitive deck you are going to need to focus the direction you want to go with this. Since there isn't really anything new here, in the end I think you are going to be looking at some kind of weenie aggro or Jack Elgin's deck anyway.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Running inferior versions of banned cards in an attempt to emulate an antiquidated deck as closely as possible is a poor strategy. Deckbuilding, to be competitive, requries flexible thinking.

As noted, Mighty Quinn is the closest thing to the strategy you're describing, although many of it's engines are different and designed with the current cardpool and metagame in mind.

DragoFireheart
06-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't see any Tarmogoyfs. :laugh:


But really, even though land tax is banned, it's not that great of a card that it once was way back when. This means that Weathered Wayfarer is just terrible as you need to pay mana AND it has more ways to be removed. Spot-removal for creatures is rampant due to that stupid Goyf.

Your deck is going to have a REAL hard time with storm combo, and is going to roll to Ichorid almost every time single game. Counter-Top is going to enjoy the lack of counters this deck has and your curve. Any deck with lots of removal (burn/sligh/Tempo thresh) will just blow your creatures up and then faceroll you with Goyfs.

Are you trying to make this deck have a fast or slow game? If slow, you NEED main deck disruption of some kind. If it's speed, you need a way to pump out your pieces faster. Maybe splash black for more removal (Vindicate maybe? Snuff Off?) and disruption (Thoughtseize, Duress). I don't think blue would be a good idea since you would need a large amount of blue cards to support FoW. I also don't think Winter Orb is good in this deck as you don't seem to capitalize on it very well: Elves like to use Orb sometimes since Elves can make mana and don't need land.

This is all strictly my opinion of course. This deck looks like it wants to play some Painter-Stax bastard child or something, I dunno.

keys
06-02-2009, 04:33 PM
lol this is like badparfait.dec and parfait isn't even good. I you want to play white control, play stax or whatever that eskimo thing is.